** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing For Rupert

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.30 Cheltenham - 2pts win Vyta Du Roc @ 7/1 (Bet365) Competitive race this but at least with Nicky Henderson's runner you've got a horse who stays this trip well. A slight concern would be how he can get outpaced in races before staying on but hopefully they'll go a nice solid gallop and he can come home well. Battled with Parlour Games all the way to the line last time and the bigger field can suit here. Has good form in the book and I don't see why he won't enjoy the better ground. 2.40 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Hammersly Lake @ 16/1 (Hills) Ran appallingly when last seen but you have to suggest something was amiss there because he'd have a good chance on the rest of his form. Stayed on well behind Silsol who has been thriving and won well off a higher mark since. Looks the type to enjoy this sort of test and should stay this far. Has had his wind looked at, is for top connections and hopefully can bounce back after a break. 3.20 Cheltenham - 2pts win Sprinter Sacre @ 7/2 (Hills) Difficult to have any real confidence about a lot of the field but I do think Sprinter Sacre is worth chancing at 7/2. Barry Geraghty has been very positive about the horse suggesting that he has improved for his reappearance and if he truly is in the same form at home as before 2013, as stated by the jockey, then 7/2 could look silly. It's hard to believe it's 100% the case but hopefully the spark will be back today that was slightly missing at Ascot and can win again. 4.00 Cheltenham - 2pts win Duke of Lucca @ 6/1 (Bet365) Obviously experience of this course is important and he's run well here a couple of times before. Was 4th in the race last year and was moving well in September when falling here. Ran okay in a couple of handicaps afterwards before again coming to grief on the cross country course. Obviously that's a concern but he's been freshened up for this, goes well fresh, enjoys the ground and with no Balthazar King today, should go well. 4.40 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Qualando @ 25/1 (Bet365) Minefield of a race with nothing jumping out but whilst not being Paul Nicholls' first string I think this one has a chance. He's down the bottom of the weights and is off a fair mark in my eyes. Ran really well when just touched off by a smart animal on his British debut after a lengthy break (2l clear at the last, faded) and then stayed on well to beat another decent type with the pair clear last time. His mark isn't restrictive, and whilst not as flashy as some, stays well which will help in this sort of race and I think he'll go quite well.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Racing For Rupert Cheers guys. I'm glad because today looks so hard! 2.05 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Brother Brian @ 10/1 (Bet365) Progressive over hurdles and brings course form to the table here having won impressively here last season. Has run good races the last twice - dictating and staying on well to win a competitive race on his first start before being outspeeded by Rock on Ruby last time in a race he didn't have too much right to be winning. Ran respectively though and seems to be improving. Likes decent ground, is uncomplicated, should stay out of the ruck and looks like he'll stay this far. Should go well for a long way. 2.40 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Eduard @ 20/1 (Bet365) Such an open race this year and I wouldn't be shocked if an outsider won it. Nicky Richards' charge has been super progressive and I hope he's not finished improving yet. He's taken his form to new heights recently and splitting Wishfull Thinking and Wonderful Charm last time was a good effort. That's considering he jumped left handed also. Stays the trip well, will enjoy an out and out gallop and although he needs to find a bit more I can see him making the frame at a price. 3.20 Cheltenham - 2pts win Un Temps Pour Tout @ 12/1 (Bet365) I thought this horse shaped really well on his return last time out behind Saphir De Rheu. Travelled well but didn't accelerate like the winner on that occasion but it was his first run in a long time. Looks like this trip at a nice gallop will suit and with that under his belt, and a little break to freshen him up, I think he's a nice price. 4.00 Cheltenham - 2pts win Un Ace @ 9/1 (Bet365) Has done nothing wrong since switching to fences and his form stacks up well to make me think he's in here off a good mark. He's similarly weighted to Chris Pea Green who he beat comfortably early in the season before giving Champagne West a fright last time out - on ratings he shouldn't have got near to that one there and he looks an uncomplicated type. He jumps well from a prominent position and stays so given I think he's fairly treated I think he'll go close. 4.40 Cheltenham - 1pt win The Package @ 10/1 (Hills) The old boy has stacks of competitive Cheltenham and festival form and we know he's capable of running well fresh. Was slightly disappointing here back in the Autumn but that was on soft ground and he seems to enjoy a sounder surface. He's off a fair mark now, although he's not getting any younger and regularly comes late in these competitive handicaps around here. Still seems to retain ability and the tender handling of Jamie Codd can hopefully see him emerge late in the day.

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.30 Cheltenham - 3pts win Peace and Co @ 3/1 (Bet365) I was blown away with this one's performance at Doncaster and the horse he smashed there went on to run well in the Fred Winter. Won a good race last time by four lengths despite them going a slow gallop and him being keen early. Was always unlikely to run away with the race there against good rivals off a slow gallop but got the job done nicely. Will relish the likely faster pace today and looks full of class. Take the beating. 2.05 Cheltenham - 2pts win Sort it Out @ 12/1 (Bet365) Hard to judge the Irish form but he's certainly progressive and looks the ideal type for a race such as the County Hurdle. Sees the trip out really well and has powered home to win the last twice. Was a runaway winner last time out, is unlikely to be handicapped out of this from the bottom of the weights and looks like he's got a good chance of being in the mix over the last. 2.40 Cheltenham - 2pts win Value At Risk @ 12/1 (Bet365) Was very impressive two starts ago when running away with a novice and although beaten narrowly here last time it was in a good race and the winner wasn't disgraced in the Neptune. Having looked held over the last, he battled on really well up the hill and was closing again at the finish. That suggested that this step up to three miles would be ideal and his form does stack up well with the best of these. Is a nice price and looks a genuine type who shouldn't shirk the issue. 3.20 Cheltenham - 2pts win Road To Riches @ 12/1 (Bet365) Very difficult race and one of the most competitive Gold Cups in memory. They'll go hard up front I think here and it should be a real test on the rain-softened ground. I hope my selection doesn't get compromised by challenging early on if they go a suicidal gallop and if he doesn't then he has a huge hope here. Appears to stay strongly, jumps well and has the form to very much get involved here. Lots in here with chances but he doesn't have too many questions to answer and I think he'll be in the mix. 4.40 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Forthefunofit @ 14/1 (Bet365) Lightly-raced type for Jonjo O'Neill and has done nothing wrong lately. Won a good handicap last time and crucially finishes his races off well which is important in a race like this. There's reason to believe there's more to come given he's not seen the racetrack too many times and the rider takes 5lbs off to make him look off a favourable mark. Is uncomplicated and like I say, I think it's crucial that in these big handicaps you need a horse who will get home and get home well. 5.15 Cheltenham - 2pts win Blood Cotil @ 8/1 (Bet365) Has to prove he can cope with the hustle and bustle of a field like this over fences given he's lightly raced but won with plenty in hand last time out to gain a bit of confidence and has form tied in with some really smart types. His chasing form with Gilgamboa, Wounded Warrior and Sizing Granite reads well with regards to this and his handicap mark appears fair based on that. Hopefully his jumping will stand up in a test like this and if so, representing top connections, can hopefully sign us off with a win.

Re: Racing For Rupert Can't grumble at all this week with how my picks have run. Obviously you get a few out the back of the telly but even the majority of unplaced ones have run well. Two races to go and stats are showing I'm up +14pts regardless of how they get on. In some respects a little unlucky - I've had a few just one place outside the places (Brother Brian, Eduard) when I've been each-way and others place but not go e/w (Vyta Du Roc, Sort it Out, Road To Riches) and obviously my winners have been lower stakes really but fingers crossed we can nudge up from where we are but any Cheltenham week when you're up is a good week (oh and I landed the placepot yesterday so that helped!).

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Racing For Rupert A very rare day where I don't have time to reason unfortunately but here are today's selections: 1.40 Aintree - 2pts win Some Buckle @ 9/1 (Lads) 2.15 Aintree - 2pts win Cardinal Walter @ 8/1 (Bet365) 2.50 Aintree - 3pts win Saphir De Rheu @ 7/4 (Hills) 3.25 Aintree - 2pts win Cue Card @ 9/1 (Bet365) 4.05 Aintree - 1pt win Rajdhani Express @ 10/1 (Lads) and 1pt win Theatre Guide @ 20/1 (Lads) 4.40 Aintree - 2pts win Vyta Du Roc @ 4/1 (Bet365) 5.15 Aintree - 1pt win Buveur D'Air @ 7/1 (Hills)

Re: Racing For Rupert All Aintree: 1.30 - 2pts win Seedling @ 8/1 (Ladbrokes) Backed this one in the Supreme Novice but he only made it to the fourth. Obviously impossible to judge on that but his form in novices stack up well and I don't envisage a problem going up to this trip. Saw out two miles strongly - including when reeling back the smart Some Plan two starts back - and this should suit around here. Weaker race than the Supreme and hasn't had too much racing in recent months so should still be fresh enough if recovered from his fall last month. 2.05 - 2pts win God's Own @ 5/2 (Bet365) Looked a potential threat to Un De Sceaux at Cheltenham at two out but despite not being able to follow it through, still put up an excellent performance. Started the season off with a very impressive win at Exeter before a couple of slightly below-par runs on soft ground. Prefers quicker though and really should take the beating here in a weaker contest. 2.50 - 1pt win Un Temps Pour Tout @ 10/1 (BetVictor) Again a horse I backed at Cheltenham when he slightly disappointed but still has some good form in the book and it may be that he acts better on a flatter track. A lot of the horses in the staying division have beaten each other at various points so would not surprise me to see a different result today. Gets the blinkers on today for the first time and hopefully these can eke out a bit more. 4.15 - 1pt win Balthazar King @ 12/1 and 1pt e/w Alvarado @ 25/1 (Bet365) Balthazar King is an absolute favourite of mine and ought to have another big run in him after finishing second last year. That year came off the back of his win at Cheltenham but he has an outstanding record when fresh and it is a big hint that connections like his chance that they swerved another potential win at the festival to come here off the back of a break. Will love the ground not being too soft, has jumped round here twice before and will give it his all. Alvarado looks ready-made for the national as he clearly stays very well and has a pilot on with a good record of getting horses into the frame around the course. Doesn't carry much weight and did well to finish fourth last year. Comes here off the back of some fair runs and now tackling extreme distances again I think he'll go well. 5.10 Aintree - 1pt win Baltimore Rock @ 12/1 (Ladbrokes) Ran reasonably well for seventh at Cheltenham but that was his first run for a while and in fact, his last two runs have come off the back of an absence. Hopefully he'll strip fitter for this as he'd have a huge chance on his form from last spring. He won a strong imperial cup (runner up now rated 20lbs higher, Vibrato Valtat back in third) and then ran well here behind Josses Hill in the top novice event. Everything looks in position for a big run now back at a track that will suit.

Re: Racing For Rupert Alvarado placing saved the day last week. I was joking before the race whether I could just back Moloney to finish 4th and bloody hell he managed it again! 1.15 Newbury - 3pts win Mahsoob @ 3/1 (Bet365) Not normally my type of bet to get too involved in big handicaps - especially on horses with so-called potential but this one looks potentially thrown in here. Won really nicely on debut over a mile - beating Razor Wind and John Reel. Both of those horses have gone on to successful winters on the all-weather and both are now rated higher than what my selection goes handicapping off today. Should build on that anyway, relish the extra two furlongs and all in all should take the world of beating. 2.15 Newbury - 1pt e/w Redstart @ 14/1 (Ladbrokes) The race revolves around Tiggy Wiggy and she may well get away with the 7f today given her class but I wouldn't be backing her with bundles and bundles of confidence for all she's the most likely winner. Ralph Beckett's charge here needs to improve on the face of it but I think can run better than her mark suggests. Her run when touched off on debut at Leicester reads well when beating Star of Seville who won so well yesterday and then comfortably ran out the winner of her maiden when they didn't go all that quick at Kempton. That probably was a bit of a leveller but she did it really well and the Beckett horses can progress nicely. Think she can get into the frame here. 2.35 Ayr - 1pt win Sea Lord @ 14/1 (Hills) Has been lightly raced the last year or so but ran well after a break last time out when beaten into 3rd in a hot little handicap and shaped well there. Loves the spring ground and has had another little breather since that run. Wouldn't be handicapped out of this completely on his best form and the track will suit. Hasn't been run into the ground this season either so his freshness can help him run a big one here. 3.10 Ayr - 2pts win Dunraven Storm @ 11/2 (Hills) This looks a big price to me. Has a couple of letters rather than numbers next to his name the last twice but is normally a reliable jumper and he simply couldn't lie up with Un De Sceaux in the Arkle so I wouldn't be too concerned with that. Was moving perfectly well when coming to grief last time and some of his novice form is really good - tied in with the likes of Vibrato Valtat. Will enjoy conditions today, has a chance to dominate this smaller field and ought to go well eased in class. 3.25 Newbury - 2pts win Gabrial @ 8/1 (Hills) Backed this one when winning the Lincoln and knowing he's a bit of a monkey, a 6lb rise for a narrow win there might not seem so appealing but he's got stacks of back-class and has ideal conditions again. It was the manner of his win at Doncaster which has made me go in again - he found plenty of trouble in running but still shrugged it off to win nicely. It was a big effort to do that and if getting a clearer passage today, the weights increase might not stop him completing the double. 3.45 Ayr - 1pt e/w Drop Out Joe @ 25/1 (Bet365) Is one of the less exposed runners in the field but that could be a negative when it comes to jumping in these big fields against seasoned handicappers. Having said that, he's shaped well over fences and also looks a real stayer. Has kept good company since winning really well on his chase debut - running behind the likes of Kings Palace and Irish Saint. He stayed on well behind the latter despite never going to get involved two starts back before keeping on into second in a handicap last time over 3m2f. His jumping is a cause for concern but clearly has an engine and now tackling extreme distances looks capable of improving again. Ran well off similar marks in staying hurdles and there's no reason why he can't do even better now going chasing over further. Looks a price worth chancing.