** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing For Rupert

Re: Racing For Rupert 6.00 Windsor - 3pts win Cordial @ 9/2 (Bet365) Has regularly been running over further but that's surprising given his maiden win over 5f and looks to possess plenty of pace with not the best finishing effort over 7f. The form of that win is nothing special but has shaped well over further and I think now handicapping under these conditions can get back in the winner's enclosure. 7.00 Windsor - 2pts win Rainbow Beauty @ 6/1 (Bet365) Changed trainers now but looks off a decent mark and conditions look better now dropped back down to 1m2f. The extra 2f seemed to stretch her at Doncaster last time out and I think this trip is ideal. Had run well on the all-weather prior to that including when a messy affair didn't show her to best effect. Looks a decent price here and can go well.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.55 York - 1pt win Pearl Castle @ 11/1 (PP) Been running well in both codes and the form of his run behind Kings Fete reads pretty well. Won over this c&d three starts ago and this would be slightly easier than that aforementioned run two starts back in my eyes. Ran well over hurdles in Ireland since and a talented claimer eases the weight burden this afternoon. Should go well. 2.30 York - 1pt win High Jinx @ 11/1 (BetVictor) Needs to step up a bit but I've always thought he has a race like this in him and I hope that James Doyle gets his tactics right today. I think it's quite essential to ride him positively as he stays well but often hits a flat spot and he arguably did well to win a French race last time - despite leading - given the way races there tend to be run. I think given a forceful ride he can go well here and if he's up there in the closing stages he shouldn't go down without a real scrap. 3.05 York - 2pts win Glory Awaits @ 14/1 (BetVictor) Looks a big price to me for a horse who has run well in group races and did well to win a Chester 7f race recently. Things went wrong for him on that occasion but still managed to get up to score and this more conventional track can suit. Was not disgraced in a Group 2 at Goodwood and has run many races at that level or higher. The drop back to a listed event will obviously help and should go well. 3.40 York - 2pts e/w Hot Streak @ 15/2 (BetVictor) I really like this horse each-way as conditions suit (especially if any rain gets into the ground). Is a real speedball so the drop back to 5f will suit (at a track which isn't as testing as Ascot, Newmarket etc). He can bowl along and I'd have much more confidence in him beating Sole Power here than at one of those aforementioned venues. Sole Power is class and should take the beating but the ground wouldn't be absolutely perfect for him and even if my selection can't win I'd be disappointed were he not to go down on his sword. 4.55 York - 1pt win Maverick Wave @ 8/1 (BetVictor) Has done nothing wrong in three starts to date, only being narrowly denied in a four runner race last time (front two clear). The winner of that could be anything now 2-2 and it was on soft ground. Given this one's American pedigree it wouldn't be a surprise were he better on a sounder surface and although it wasn't a tremendous race he eased to victory in on the all-weather two starts back he did it impressively from fair if unspectacular rivals. Progressive and with more to come, ought to be capable of another big showing today.

Re: Racing For Rupert That's 10 double figure priced places in the last two months and 1 winner (10/1). Things could have been so different with just one more (and one or two more wins of the many, many shorter priced runners up!). Actually think I've called things pretty well this summer but not much to show for it unfortunately! Still, could be worse.

Re: Racing For Rupert 4.25 York - 1pt win Lightscameraction @ 12/1 (Bet365) You wouldn't naturally expect a Lingfield maiden winner to necessarily be up to much but ran out a very ready victor of a 5f race there. Wouldn't be the worst race by track standards and ran a big race over in France when fading late on under heavy conditions. Return to better ground can suit and this track should play to its strengths given the speed shown to date. 5.00 York - 2pts win Ajman Bridge @ 7/2 (Bet365) Edged up the weights for being chinned at Goodwood but I don't think the track was perfect that day and had a wide draw to contend with. Just lost his place a little bit too on the wide outside before staying on well under pressure. Just found one too strong but should be more to come and the return to a more conventional track from a better draw can see him gain compensation. 5.35 York - 2pts win Royal Mezyan @ 6/1 (Hills) Was second in a maiden here behind the smart Reroute and then returned to this c&d to register a comfortably maiden victory. Was an excellent fifth in the Norfolk last year too which makes him look off a fair handicap mark and you can forgive his effort behind Hot Streak at the end of the campaign. Shaped well enough as if retaining ability in a 6f handicap when last seen here and with that under his belt and a drop back to 5f should be there or thereabouts.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.05 Goodwood - 3pts win Madeed @ 3/1 (PP) Backed him confidently here at the glorious meeting and he ran a cracker in third to be beaten a length in a hot handicap. His run in the Britannia has been well franked since and this trip suits even if he did get run out of it close home when last seen. He was drawn wide, keen and challenged in a duel very early up the straight and although battling on well to get the better of his initial rival, a couple of closers came fast and late to chin him. If he can settle better and conserve his energy for the end of the race he can go better in this weaker race, albeit nudged up a few pounds. 3.40 Goodwood - 2pts win Victors Bet @ 13/2 (BetVictor) :lol Never usually like getting too involved in these contests but with it being wide open there are decent prices about and this one won well in a similar contest when last seen. It's encouraging that came under this pilot too and he beat a decent yardstick for the level into second on that occasion. Hasn't had many tries over on these shores but ran promisingly first time up over 7f when shaping as if wanting a trip and the nature of a Lingfield all-weather race didn't seem to play to his strengths a couple of runs ago. Conditions suit and should go well again. 4.15 Goodwood - 2pts win Steeler @ 9/2 (Bet365) Charlie Appleby's charge has a good record here and generally doesn't run bad races. Was smart as a 2yo and although not seen in 2013 ran some decent reappearance efforts in Meydan in races that probably didn't suit his style. Has run two absolute belters in hot mile handicaps at Royal Ascot and Glorious Goodwood when just run out of things close home and the drop back to 7f with a decent gallop to aim at should be right up his street (Muteela looks a likely front-runner). Ought to run to his mark at least and that gives him high hopes here.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.15 Thirsk - 2pts win Green Howard @ 15/2 (Sportingbet) I think the favourite is vulnerable kept to this grade and I like Robin Bastiman's charged dropped back down to 7f. Has been running with credit over a mile the last twice despite finding his effort petering out late on and 5 of his 6 career wins have come at this distance (the other being 6f). Is 2lbs above his last winning mark but that was comfortable and has won off higher in the past. Hopefully it won't be riding too quick at Thirsk this afternoon and with his wellbeing apparently little issue, ought to go very well now back to more suitable conditions. 3.35 Sandown - 2pts win Beach Bar @ 11/4 (Hills) Consistent and steadily progressive, got up to score narrowly in a race that wouldn't have suited perfectly at Haydock last time with the runner-up franking the form since. Was keen in a small field with not much pace on but came from off the pace to score. Looks like a stronger gallop/test at this trip would suit and ought to get that today with the uphill finish here in favour. Soft ground no concern and can go in again. 3.50 Thirsk - 2pts win Compton Park @ 6/1 (Ladbrokes) Has been progressive for Les Eyre and was sent off with a big chance in the St Wilfrid at Ripon last time out. Wasn't disgraced but the draw wasn't all that kind to him - being in the centre of the course - and also nothing really came from off the pace that day like this one aimed to do. However, the form of his wins prior to that are strong and his win at Haydock has been franked especially. The horse he beat into second there (comfortably) won by nearly 4l next time in an Epsom handicap and the third actually won the aforementioned Ripon showpiece. That would suggest that there were excuses for my horse on that occasion and now remaining just 4lbs higher for that last win can go very well again from a likely good high draw here. 4.45 Sandown - 2pts win Savant @ 11/2 (Ladbrokes) Mixed messages regarding this 1m2f trip on three starts to date - shaping as if it would be enjoyed on his first start (Stoute's usually come on plenty) and last time out when keeping on steadily over a mile on the all-weather. Sandwiched inbetween those efforts was a run at Windsor over 1m2f where he was plenty keen enough before backing out of matters. Still, that was a good race with plenty of smart animals ahead and with a more conservative ride may see out the trip better now. Looks off a fair enough mark and if switching off in the early part of the race ought to be competitive.

Re: Racing For Rupert 6.10 Salisbury - 2pts win Star of Spring @ 7/1 (Bet365) I don't think this is particularly strong for this one to make a handicap debut in and hasn't been disgraced in three maidens to date. The horses who have been finishing ahead of her have tended to prove themselves at a higher level and I just think she's found it tough to compete off level weights. Here she enters handicaps off a mark of 68 and I have concerns regarding the second favourite with regards to stamina and I don't think the favourite has form in the book any stronger than my pick. A mile shouldn't be a problem and can make her presence felt. 7.10 Salisbury - 1pt win Pennine Panther @ 11/1 (Ladbrokes) Hard to gauge this horse really but is worth chancing at the odds here and could make it two in a row this evening. Was well beat on debut but has stepped up on that in two runs since, corresponding with the improved form of Henry Candy's charges. Ran well in a good maiden second time up with good horses both ahead and behind in a race where he stayed on without threatening from the rear. On that, his mark may not be beyond him for all we didn't learn much from his narrow maiden success at Newmarket - other than he can handle some give in the ground and the trip is fine. Beat a debutant who hasn't run since into second but the pair were at least 8 lengths clear which may say more about the runner-up than the fact the winner wasn't up to much (perhaps would have been expected to beat that one more comfortably). Should enjoy the way this race is run (had to do the donkey work at Newmarket) and looks overpriced with more to come for a yard in hot form this month.

Re: Racing For Rupert 2.05 Sandown - 1pt win Ajjaadd @ 10/1 (Bet365) Goes well here and enjoys downhill tracks. Didn't show much at Ascot last time on quicker ground but found trouble midway through that contest, and that combined with conditions he doesn't enjoy quite so much can help us put a line through that effort. Was only beaten 1/2l into second here two starts back despite being drawn wide and he has less to worry about on that front today being drawn close to the favoured rail. Has had excuses on his other two starts this season and with conditions set to be ideal this afternoon can enhance his already strong strike-rate off a mark lower than his highest winning one. 2.20 Chester - 1pt win Top Boy @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes) You're going to need some luck to win a 5f Chester handicap in a large field but there is lots of competition for the lead here and that will play into the hands of Derek Shaw's charge here. He relishes a big field and a strong pace to come off and that looks likely here. The track is perhaps not totally ideal but he's run well enough here in the past and if he can avoid hitting a flat spot should go well if getting the splits. The easier ground will help him and they might just come back a bit more on more testing ground here this afternoon. 3.15 Sandown - 1pt win Odeliz @ 7/1 (Ladbrokes) Karl Burke's charge is largely consistent and has always shaped as if having a touch of class. Progressed well from handicaps last season and she looked all over the winner on her reappearance in Ireland when chinned by the talented Vote Often (pair clear). That came under similar conditions to this afternoon and I don't think she's really enjoyed the run of it in group races since. She can be keen and travels well but is important that there's something to chase and too often she hasn't really got that. The ground being a bit easier may help but hopefully this slightly bigger field will ensure a stronger gallop. If that materialises then her form with some of the better fillies and mares around (such as Thistle Bird, Mango Diva) gives her a good shout in here. If the favourite's French form lets her down then this is wide open and I can see Danny Tudhope striking on this one. 3.30 Chester - 2pts win Special Meaning @ 4/1 (Bet365) This is more a selection via process of elimination as Whiplash Willie looks too high in the weights now since running well in group company, De Rigeur has questions to answer after a quiet run in the Ebor, Gabrial shouldn't stay, Big Orange again may have been flattered at Ascot and is now too high in the weights, Livia's Dream doesn't look good enough and while Noble Silk should go well may want a stronger test than this especially around here with a lack of pace. My selection is in form, should be competitive at the weights and looks the likely pace angle in here. If she isn't pestered too much for the lead then I can see her dictating, kicking from the front and being tough to catch based on my assessments of her rivals. Fingers crossed it goes to plan. 3.50 Sandown - 2pts win Mount Shamsan @ 9/1 (Bet365) I really like the chances of William Haggas' charge here who looks progressive and conditions ought to suit today. Shaped well in two mile maidens either side of a failed effort when far too keen over 1m4f and the most recent 2nd saw him chase home a decent sort with the third winning twice since, including a handicap off a mark of 80. When winning at Ripon last time, this one relished the step up to 1m2f, forging on inside the final furlong to score by three lengths. Shook off a next time out 5l maiden winner (who is now rated 86) on that occasion and my selection enters handicaps today off 83. That looks very fair and a nice solid pace to chase over this trip should bring out the best in him and I'd be very surprised if he couldn't land a handicap off such a mark. This is competitive but from down the bottom of the weights looks likely to go very well.

Re: Racing For Rupert 2.50 Newcastle - 2pts win Two B's @ 7/2 (Bet365) This is a clearly modest race but Tim Easterby's charge is lightly-raced and although showing little so far is related to staying types and looks absolutely ready for this step up to two miles on this track. Ran over insufficient trips of around a mile in maidens prior to trailing home over 1m4f on handicap debut (albeit after three months off). Shaped much better over 1m6f when last seen when not beaten far and now with his stamina stretched even further can get off the mark in this weak event. 4.10 Haydock - 1pt win Mister Manannan @ 16/1 (Ladbrokes) Managed to land a couple of Beverley events this season before not matching that at Pontefract last time out. However, he still remains fairly treated on his best form and I think you can excuse that recent run. Firstly, he'd had lots of racing in a short space of time (has been given a little break since) and it was a rough run round for him, hampered at the start and repeatedly short of room up the rail. It would have been a remarkable effort to win or get very close given his run through and that makes him a big price here. There looks plenty of pace on which will suit and is worth chancing at a tasty price. 4.45 Haydock - 2pts win Marcret @ 14/1 (Ladbrokes) Has joined Ruth Carr's yard and hopefully she can guide him back into the winner's enclosure. Is off a fair mark now and has run some decent races this season without winning. Was beaten a long way at York last time when finishing midfield in a handicap but was slowly away and did make up some ground up the straight. Sometimes it's hard to come from miles back on the Knavesmire and in any case, the race was a hot 0-105 affair and he should find these coming back easier today dropped into 0-90 company. There are less in form horses today and this one's efforts at Chester and Newcastle this season would see him go well today.

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.55 Ascot - 2pts win Cornrow @ 5/1 (Bet365) Looks a progressive type for John Gosden and was an impressive winner on reappearance at Haydock. Only 7lbs higher for that easy success and this should suit. A stiff 7f doesn't pose any problems as he should be allowed to stride up with the pace. Did that impressively last time and his maiden win was franked by the runner-up (now rated higher than this horse). Did well to win when coming off the pace after that but seems best when not far off the pace and I expect that to happen again this afternoon. 2.05 Haydock - 2pts win Confessional @ 9/2 (Bet365) Has won this race twice and is off a decent mark for another crack this afternoon. He's also been running well without winning over 6f of late but I think he's better over the minimum trip. Has been shaping like a winner waiting to happen despite his strike rate not being anything special and now dropped into ideal conditions I think he'll make a bold bid for a third success in the contest. 3.15 Haydock - 2pts win Quest For More @ 10/1 (Bet365) Has been running very consistently in good handicaps and hopefully he can land this one. Was running well over 1m4f earlier on in the campaign when staying on without ever getting to the front and proved he wants his stamina stretching when going down on his sword over 2 miles when last seen. A strongly-run 1m6f could be absolutely perfect for him and he has a good jockey on board. Ought to be in the mix and looks a tasty price to land the spoils given his profile. 3.30 Ascot - 2pts win Battersea @ 8/1 (Bet365) Has a wide draw to overcome but has rock solid form in the book and hopefully if he can get a decent sit can win again. Ran well in all three maidens when looking like there'd be more to come - especially over further. Was subsequently jumped up in trip when just failing to beat the thriving Maid In Rio (at the start of its purple patch) and that form is very good. Stayed on strongly to win over c&d last time out and with still potential for more, 6lbs doesn't seem restrictive for a comfortable success and under conditions that we know are favourable for him.

Re: Racing For Rupert 2.00 York - 3pts win Spring Offensive @ 5/1 (Hills) Really keen on Richard Fahey's charge here who has done little wrong in two starts to date and may have been let in leniently on handicap debut. Didn't know his job behind an odds on favourite on debut (that one rated 99 now) but shaped with abundant promise and built on that when running out a nice winner last time at Redcar. Beat a horse from the Sir Michael Stoute yard who had run well on debut and the third placed rival was a further 3 3/4l behind. That one won a maiden to be rated 77 afterwards and all things considered you'd have to say with more to come my selection looks to hold a big chance off that same rating this afternoon.

Re: Racing For Rupert 5.45 Kempton - 2pts win Noverre To Go @ 5/1 (Bet365) Runs well on the all-weather and this represents a drop in grade. Needs them to go a nice solid tempo that he can slot in behind of from his wide draw. Ran well at Brighton earlier in the year when rattling home but he's always shaped as a touch better on the artificial surfaces. Wasn't really suited by the race last time which was better than this and with James Doyle on board can take the beating. 6.15 Kempton - 2pts win More Drama @ 11/1 (Bet365) Put in probably his best maiden performance last time when running here behind a smart animal (won since). Did some decent late work despite the fact he was always going to be outclassed. No surprise given his sire's record is substantially better on the all-weather than turf and now handicapping can go very well. 6.45 Kempton - 2pts win Shining Glitter @ 4/1 (Bet365) Perhaps more exposed than a couple of these but based on his runs in handicaps should be capable of winning a race like this. Has looked best on the all-weather and shaped well over shorter at Lingfield two starts ago. Upped to this trip last time and was only held by a progressive type (rated much higher now) and under ideal conditions can get off the mark. 7.15 Kempton - 2pts win Royal Warranty @ 6/1 (Hills) Has been let in a bit lightly here for handicap debut and registers as decent value for all this is competitive. Has done little wrong to date - running well over shorter twice on the all-weather before landing a maiden on turf at Bath. The second and third have franked the form (both rated higher than my selection here) and based on his opening mark under ideal conditions can go very well.

• 5 months later...

Re: Racing For Rupert God knows where we're at with this but let's see if I can find the time to carry on. Anyway, I like a few at Kempton tonight so here goes: 6.10 Kempton - 2pts win The Third Man @ 5/1 (Ladbrokes) Did well to win on debut over 7f at Lingfield when thundering home for John Gosden to get off the mark. Was sent off a short price for his handicap debut on the turf at Newbury next time but couldn't find the pace to get involved - only finding the one pace. It was a similar story at Windsor when sent off very short, only managing to gradually work through for third. Just seems to lack that turn of foot but shaped well on a return from a break for his new yard back on the all-weather last time when unfancied really. Kept on in a race not run to suit and again looked like a stronger stamina test would suit. Gets the step up to 1m2f and we know he goes well on the polytrack. Think today can be his day. 6.40 Kempton - 3pts win Thundering Home @ 2/1 (Hills) Has been running really well over hurdles recently and reverts to the flat to exploit his current mark. Hasn't won over this far on the level but his best form in this code has come on the all-weather. Was running well in 2013 on the flat when rated 107 over jumps. He's now nearly 20lbs higher in that code in the weights yet his flat mark hasn't really risen since. Based on that he really should go close and the way he sees out the two mile trip on soft ground over hurdles should mean there isn't a stamina issue here. Well worth his fairly short price. 7.10 Kempton - 1pt win Secret Asset @ 8/1 (Hills) Competitive race but this one is a good servant and has conditions to suit. Comes here off the back of some good runs including last time when outpaced over 5f before staying on at Chelmsford. This trip suits him better and did well when doing the donkey work two starts back when only claimed late on. I think he's better coming from behind and although he's not getting any younger, looks like he can exploit his mark in his current form. Should get a strong gallop to aim at here and with this headgear combination bringing some more out of him, ought to go well from an inside draw.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Racing For Rupert 2.00 Sandown - 2pts win Remiluc @ 16/1 (Hills) Top weight here but I think he's got a big chance as I don't think he's handicapped to the hilt. Still lightly raced and he's shaped well on all starts over hurdles - although gradually getting better. Had excuses on his first two starts and chased home a smart rival two starts back. Stormed home to a ready success in a good race last time and looks fairly uncomplicated. Should run his race, stays well and has strong form so looks a good price. 3.10 Sandown - 2pts win Thistlecrack @ 14/1 (Ladbrokes) Was a taking winner three starts back when given a very confident ride but stormed home to win by 9l in an albeit fairly weak race. Had decent bumper form though and it's no surprise to see him climb the ranks. Was too keen over further at Ascot two starts back - he can be quite headstrong - but showed his strong finish last time in a good novice event at Ascot. This race should be made for him with plenty of cover and a big field with a strong pace and if he can settle I can see him thundering home late on.

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.30 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Seedling @ 22/1 (Bet365) Douvan will be tough to beat here and I realise my selection isn't as classy as that one or others in this field and his profile isn't particularly similar but has rock solid form in the book and has a high rating in this. The form has worked out very well from his wins this season and could be a quiet little outsider here. Should be suited by an end to end gallop here and I think he can work his way into the fold late on. 2.05 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Three Kingdoms @ 22/1 (Bet365) Similar to the Supreme, the favourite will take all the beating here but if his exhuberance costs him then I wouldn't be surprised to see my selection pounce. I know Vibrato Valtat is the most likely beneficiary on paper but this horse has form tied in closely with that one both over hurdles and fences and should really enjoy a strong gallop. Paul Nicholls' charge will too but my horse stays powerfully and did well to win at Doncaster last time after a shuddering mistake a couple of fences out. Looks a big price to make the frame. 2.40 Cheltenham - 2pts win Barrakilla @ 12/1 (Bet365) Looks made for this race after staying on well to retake 2nd at this venue when last seen. That came over shorter, however, when thundering home behind an enterprisingly ridden winner and is a consistent type. Looks on a fair mark to say there's more to come over this sort of trip and has had a break since his last run - he goes well fresh and if staying on his feet I think he'll be bang there at the finish. 4.40 Cheltenham - 2pts win Sego Success @ 5/1 (Bet365) I'm a big fan of this horse and looks ready made for this. The way he finds off the bridle and over shorter trips shows he has stamina and guts in abundance and he's not a bad horse either. Looks to have a big chance on official ratings and represents a yard with a good record in this. Jumps soundly and has one of the top amateur riders on board today. Should see this out better than most and all things considered ought to go very well. 5.15 Cheltenham - 2pts win Thomas Crapper @ 15/2 (BetVictor) It's well documented how much this fella likes Cheltenham and his novice chase runs have set him up nicely for this. Hasn't faced perfect conditions really which means his mark has stayed relatively low and ready for a tilt at this. Has either run over an insufficient two miles in small fields or over the more appropriate 2m4f against top opposition so hasn't been winning races. However, gets in here at the bottom of the weights with ideal conditions and now back at Cheltenham should go very well.