** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing For Rupert

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.00 Pontefract - 2pts win Obboorr @ 8/1 (Ladbrokes) His only win has come on the all-weather when clinging on over 1m4f at Kempton two starts back but has run with credit on the grass as well so I wouldn't be hugely concerned about conditions today. On the evidence of that victory and his close up effort over the same 1m4f trip at Lingfield last time, a stiff 1m2f may suit him a little bit better. Has run well here a couple of times before and his recent efforts have been solid enough. Is regularly partnered by inexperienced or lady riders so it's a plus that Tom Eaves is back aboard today who is 1-1 on the horse and hopefully the six month break won't be an issue (sole win came after 3 months off). The fact that Eaves is booked suggests they expect a good effort and if fit should go well at a decent price. 3.30 Pontefract - 1pt win Argent Touch @ 20/1 (Ladbrokes) Not a very good sprint in my opinion so I'll chance Derek Shaw's runner who has shaped well on turf the last twice. Has done most of his running on artificial surfaces but his staying on 5th of 12 at Newmarket two starts back reads well with both first and second winning next time out. On that evidence the uphill climb to the finish here will suit him and he was far from disgraced in a better contest at Doncaster last time. Possible that the 6f trip isn't quite as ideal as 5f and it paid to be up there on the pace on that occasion. Still finished a fair enough 7th considering he was held up and another one of those towards the rear that day before staying on was a touch unlucky not to score at Ripon last night. This looks easier and a strongly-run testing 5f can hopefully see him deliver at a tasty price.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Racing For Rupert 2.10 Newmarket - 2pts win Jungle Cat @ 13/2 (Bet365) Seems a big price for a horse with bombproof form in the book having finished third in the Coventry behind the very smart The Wow Signal. The form that links those two throughout the season appears as good as anything in the 2yo department and although there are a couple of potentially good types in here, that's potential for the time being and I'll take what's already been shown in this heat. After being trounced by the John Quinn horse on debut, he himself won his maiden at Goodwood which also worked out extremely well and then was a rock solid third at Ascot. Wasn't beaten far and that came quite quickly after his maiden win. Has been given a little break since so comes here a bit fresher and is worth a bet. 2.40 Newmarket - 1pt win Dandino @ 11/1 (Bet365) Backed him when a little disappointing at Ascot (well backed) but the support shown that day suggests he's been working as well as ever at home and although his record fresh is good, his record second time out is also excellent. His form figures read 21122 on his second run of campaigns and the latter two came when beaten narrowly by Sea Moon and then Thomas Chippendale. Relishes fast conditions, is versatile when it comes to track and has a good record in smaller fields such as this. The favourite beat my selection 6l or so at Ascot but it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see that eaten into today with a bit more race fitness on his side and at the prices is the one to be on. 3.15 Newmarket - 2pts win Madeed @ 7/1 (Bet365) Difficult race to assess but this one ran really well in the Britannia, being edged out into 2nd on his side but stayed on really well under pressure to suggest that this extra 2f will help him. His pedigree suggests that too and the nature of the big-field straight mile races at Ascot makes you think that it'll be well within his compass. Would have gone close had he been on the stands side and his form prior to that also reads well. Beat a now 90-rated horse in his maiden with a now 87-rated rival back in third and then can be excused in the strung out field behind True Story on his reappearance. It was a strange race but smart horses who were well beaten that day have come out and done well since (Barley Mow and Somewhat only just in front of my selection). Clearly showed he'd come on for that at the royal meeting and under potentially ideal conditions a mark of 89 does not look restrictive on the balance of form. Should go well.

Re: Racing For Rupert Yesterday was one of the most dissatisfying days of racing I've seen in quite a while tbh. Didn't help that we had YET another second in the first but the changing ground, pace bias and track positioning made it a bit of a dodgy day really. Hoping for better today... 3.15 Newmarket - 2pts win Golden Steps @ 7/1 (Bet365) 4.05 York - 2pts win Bondi Beach Boy @ 14/1 (BetVictor) 4.15 Ascot - 2pts win Missed Call @ 15/2 (SJ) 4.50 Ascot - 2pts win Gabbiano @ 11/1 (Betfred)

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.15 Newmarket - 2pts win Golden Steps @ 7/1 (Bet365) Competitive race but I think you can upgrade this one's performance when winning at Doncaster last time out when beating horses who had been up with the pace throughout. Was the only one to make significant headway from behind and is still progressive looking. The form is rock solid there and I just think this is another very winnable opportunity. 4.05 York - 2pts win Bondi Beach Boy @ 14/1 (BetVictor) I've thought this horse was going to win the last twice if I'm honest. Certainly looks like he's returning to the boil and is off a fair mark. Just went off too fast when looking like the winner just about all the way two starts back and last time out could never quite get into a position that he wanted after missing the break a fraction. He kept on behind the leaders all the way but wanted making more use of. This is a stronger race but he's ready to fire and off a light weight could make a bold bid if breaking out better today. 4.15 Ascot - 2pts win Missed Call @ 15/2 (SJ) Martin Meade's very consistent type has been a shade unfortunate not to land a handicap yet in his career as he's bumped into some smart types and Chester wouldn't have suited quite so well last time when not able to reel in the front runner. Was slowly away but kept on into a closing second and the return to a more conventional track will suit. The horses he finished second to last season are rated comfortably higher in the weights now and hopefully he can land a deserved race such as this. 4.50 Ascot - 2pts win Gabbiano @ 11/1 (Betfred) Has an excellent record at Ascot and is only 1lb higher than his last win which came here over the 5f. 6f is just as good if not better, however, and has shaped well in two starts this season. Travelled nicely on his return here behind runaway winner Blessington when just shaping as if needing the outing and then kept on without threatening behind Golden Steps at Doncaster last time. The winner was the only one to make substantial ground up from behind but this one did second best, keeping on and if getting a better gallop to aim at today back at his favourite hunting ground can go very close.

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.40 York - 1pt win Awake My Soul @ 14/1 (Bet365) Regularly runs over further but has been shaping of late as if a strongly run mile could be absolutely perfect for him, often looming up before fading in the closing stages. His third to Clever Cookie reads well and this flat track should prove ideal and tracking a good gallop will prove beneficial to him and fingers crossed he can get an elusive victory. 2.05 Newmarket - 2pts win You're Fired @ 6/1 (Bet365) Unexposed and has run well on all starts to date. Stayed on strongly to lead close home over 7f when last seen and I don't see any issue of this extra furlong - it may actually suit even better. He was clear with the runner-up who went on to win well on his next start so there's substance to the form and a rise in the weights doesn't look excessive. 2.40 Newmarket - 2pts win Smaih @ 8/1 (Bet365) Looks a big price to me as there ought to be more to come upped to 7f. Shaped really well on debut over 5f when going down narrowly to a horse who went very well in the Coventry. Easily won at Chester last time over 6 but I still don't think a sharp 6f around there is particularly ideal. This should suit more and is a big price possibly because of the weakness of the form last time out but could only win well and there is more to come under these conditions. 3.15 Newmarket - 2pts win Abseil @ 11/2 (Bet365) Both me and Sir Michael Stoute thought this horse would win at Ascot and whilst not disgraced, just couldn't go forward having loomed up. He's got so much speed though that a drop to 7f shouldn't be any issue and it should help with his finishing kick. Still should be more to come and should prove stronger at the finish here as I don't anticipate he'll struggle to go the early gallop. 4.15 Ascot - 2pts win Kinshasa @ 9/2 (PP) Competitive race but did well to win last time out and hasn't been given a hard time up in the weights since then. Didn't get a clear run but was angled out and closed well to score by the best part of a length. That form looks very solid and unexposed, I don't think the handicapper has got to grips yet and these conditions clearly suit. Take the beating.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Racing For Rupert 2.35 Tipperary - 1pt win Pyromaniac @ 10/1 (Bet365) Has a bit to find with one or two of these on flat form and the favourite holds rock solid national hunt form but this horse shapes like he could really make a hurdler and we've seen many average flat horses become top class hurdlers so it's not out of the equation that he can run well here. Improved form of late and won well over 1m2f, staying on strongly two starts back before a staying on performance over 1m4f a few days later when probably not as sharp. Still, that suggests he'll be fine over this trip over hurdles and still hasn't had many career starts. If jumping well can go close on debut in this sphere. 3.20 Newton Abbot - 2pts win Royale's Charter @ 9/2 (Bet365) Has some decent chase form but sometimes his jumping can let him down and he ran a big race over hurdles last time in a much stronger contest than this (marginally out of the handicap). This is weaker and I'm not particularly convinced by the form of the John Ferguson trained favourite, especially up a bit in trip. My selection should be spot on now after two runs after a break and can land the spoils. 4.10 Redcar - 2pts win Head Space @ 11/2 (Bet365) Won really well over 5f when supported at Doncaster last time out but has no problem with 6f and remains off a good mark. This flat track will suit and I'm surprised he's not favourite to be honest. The visor stays on and the runner-up from that race has gone well since. No reason why he shouldn't go very close. 4.20 Newton Abbot - 2pts win My Lord @ 6/1 (Bet365) This looks fairly open and the two or three ahead of my selection in the market have question marks over them and I feel 6/1 is a fair price about Luke Dace's charge. Has been in sound form on the flat - a similar situation as when winning off a slightly lower mark over hurdles in the past so is probably not handicapped out of this. Ran well when not quite getting home over 2m5f last time out but drops back to two miles now and I'd be disappointed if he's not close up at the death.

Re: Racing For Rupert 7.25 Windsor - 2pts win Billy Blue @ 6/1 (Ladbrokes) Looked to hold a few quirks when running at Sandown last time out but was entitled to need the run on that occasion after several months off the track. Only faded late on to be beaten five lengths and if building on that fitness wise the remainder of his form gives him a big chance here. I don't anticipate too much of an issue running on turf with his best performances coming on the all-weather. The three horses he beat into 2nd, 3rd and 4th two starts back are all rated in the 80s now so it's worked out well and my selection runs off 75 today. Looks fairly treated and I don't see this 1m2f being a problem now he's got race fitness on his side. Fingers crossed can make light work of his mark.

Re: Racing For Rupert 5.35 Newmarket - 2pts win Cape Mystery @ 4/1 (Hills) Has improved in three maiden runs and was beaten 5l behind a decent type when last seen. Looks off a fair mark on that evidence with the winner going well off 77 next time out. Can progress again on handicap debut with James Doyle an excellent booking for a yard he's only ever had five rides for (1 winner). 6.30 York - 2pts win Vincentti @ 8/1 (Hills) Wide open sprint handicap but this one is bang in form having been fitted with the hood the last twice. There are concerns over many of these, be it the ground, recent form or handicap marks and this one just looks sure to run his race. Not beaten far the last twice, staying on well so the straight finish here should suit and I'd be surprised if he's not bang there. 8.00 York - 2pts win Anderiego @ 5/1 (Bet365) Doesn't win often but his last two victories have come here and in this month. Didn't show much for a while but bounced back the last twice when not beaten far. The way this race should pan out (stronger gallop) should suit and obviously he enjoys tonight's conditions. Off a fair enough mark, yard are going well enough and the visor is back on which combined with his return to form can hopefully see him land his third course success.

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.30 Ascot - 2pts win Peacock @ 7/2 (Ladbrokes) There are a couple in here with better form in the book but Richard Hannon's runner took my eye when winning on debut. Pulled on with a horse with rock solid form already in the book and stayed on strongly there. The form of the maiden reads very well and the step up to 7f will bring out more. Really think he'll go very well today. 2.45 Newmarket - 1pt win Awake Your Soul @ 15/2 (Bet365) Thought the drop back to a well-run mile would help when last seen at York but it didn't quite pay off when getting outpaced prior to staying on. However, ran well enough and is back up to 1m2f today. A smallish field will suit I think and it could pan out nicely with him getting first run and failing to be caught. 3.15 Ascot - 1pt win Belgian Bill @ 9/1 (Bet365) Was unlucky at the Royal Meeting when not getting luck in the run and will bid for compensation here. Enjoys races under these conditions and again has no excuses on that front. I think you want to be drawn high today, fancied runners are there and for such a big field there isn't loads of obvious pace angles in here. However, there are more drawn around my selection and with Ryan Moore up, it's a sign they expect big things. 3.30 York - 2pts win Muthmir @ 11/2 (Bet365) Looks like he wants 6f on quick ground and is unexposed compared to lots of these. Ran really well under these conditions last time when pulling hard prior to staying on at the death. On that evidence this bigger field and likely stronger pace will really help. Should come on again for that effort and the winner went close next time out off a higher mark so everything points to a big run. 3.50 Ascot - 2pts win Taghrooda @ 3/1 (Bet365) Mouthwatering race but the Oaks heroine surely has a big chance. Looks to have the package with a high cruising speed, acceleration and stamina in abundance for this trip. Although perhaps slightly flattered in the Oaks (Inchila would have got closer with some luck) but was impressive and not all out at the finish. Moved like a very smart filly and the horses in behind have typically run well since. Takes on her elders and the boys here but is well worth her chance and hopefully she can confirm herself as a very, very smart one.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.30 Pontefract - 2pts win Eltheeb @ 15/2 (Bet365) Has been shaping pretty well of late and wasn't beaten far with this headgear combination tried over 1m3f at Carlisle last time out. Looks to me like the slight drop back to a testing 1m2f will suit better and is down the weights on some good efforts last year. Looked prime to strike when going close when last seen and under these conditions ought to go close again. 4.05 Pontefract - 2pts win Elleval @ 3/1 (Bet365) Although a fairly small field there looks at least three pace angles in here and that should suit the Irish raider down to the ground. David Marnane sends this one over for his only runner on the day and must have a big chance. Ran well when keen on his reappearance having been holding good company in Meydan and this drop back in trip with a strong pace will help. A stiff mile could well be prime for him and ought to go well. 5.40 Pontefract - 2pts win Mey Blossom @ 9/2 (Bet365) Since the blinkers have returned this one has been right back into form. Aged 9 now he's no spring chicken but landed a race at Beverley two starts back and was staying on well at the death for 3rd when last seen at the same track. A good gallop looks likely here and the uphill finish will really suit. Still on a good mark on old form and the claim of Kevin Stott puts him effectively just a couple of pounds higher for that recent victory.

Re: Racing For Rupert Tackling four ultra-competitive handicaps today but hopefully we can land one... 1.55 Goodwood - 2pts win Ajman Bridge @ 9/1 (Bet365) 3.40 Goodwood - 2pts win Van Percy @ 10/1 (Bet365) 4.50 Goodwood - 1pt win Directorship @ 16/1 (Ladbrokes) 5.20 Goodwood - 1pt win Secret Millionaire @ 20/1 (Bet365)

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.55 Goodwood - 2pts win Ajman Bridge @ 9/1 (Bet365) Only had seven runs to date and went very close to landing a third success at Sandown last time out. Had excuses on his two poor runs prior to that - naturally needing his seasonal reappearance and then ran in a strange 1m4f race at Windsor after a deluge of rain and just backed out of things. I think a strongly run 1m2f on quick ground is what he wants and he definitely wants them to go a good, solid gallop throughout. They often kick for home early at Goodwood and that can play into this closers hands if he can get the splits and still looks off a decent mark with potential for more to come. 3.40 Goodwood - 2pts win Van Percy @ 10/1 (Bet365) Backed him for the Northumberland Plate but he was miles back and could only plug on into midfield having been drawn out very wide for his effort. I think he's better when horses are falling back in his lap but they didn't on that occasion and I just think the return to 1m6f will be a big help (just seemed a bit one-paced over further). His form of two starts prior to that is strong and he's still pretty unexposed at this trip. Likes the ground to be on the sharp side and I think he can bounce back with a great run today. 4.50 Goodwood - 1pt win Directorship @ 16/1 (Ladbrokes) Patrick Chamings' horses could be going a little better but this fella has shown a bit more life of late and is unquestionably down to a good mark. His best form has come at Sandown but he's won elsewhere and essentially just wants a strongly-run mile on quick ground. He gets that today and having shown more last time out in a smaller field, I expect him to step up again on that with this sure to be run more to his liking. Hopefully he gets the splits you so often need at Goodwood and if so could be coming fast and late. 5.20 Goodwood - 1pt win Secret Millionaire @ 20/1 (Bet365) Is one down towards the bottom of the weights here but is a consistent type and although not as classy as some of these he should enjoy conditions and is worth a punt at a decent prize given his reliability. He's a strong finisher in his races and the way this race looks set up with pace angles all over the shop it could well pay to be on a closer. He needs a good gallop to chase down and if he can manage to not get too far behind he can hopefully come through and try pick up the pieces late in the day.

Re: Racing For Rupert A lot of placed efforts since the last update but thankfully a few winners over the last few days have nudged up the overall profit. Turned it around on the flat this season but no such luck with the summer jumping! Still, slowly but surely moving in the right direction :) Jumps: Bets: 350 Wins: 46 Placed: 78 Pts Staked: 597.5pts Pts Returned: 619pts P/L: +21.5pts Flat: Bets: 366 Wins: 47 Placed: 85 Pts Staked: 675pts Pts Returned: 700pts P/L: +25pts Overall: +46.5pts

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.55 Goodwood - 1pt e/w Solar View @ 12/1 (BetVictor) A rare each way bet as the favourite ought to take some stopping. It seems bizarre to think a son of Captain Rio will be winning over 2m5f but he has a clear chance if ready to go again. However, I think Sir Mark Prescott's horse is absolutely made for extreme trips and can make the money at least. You can forgive his flat run last time out when seemingly bouncing. He won well after nearly two years off the track and they tried to follow up just five days later and he wasn't ready for it. Has been given a little break since and now tackles this better race. However, he's a horse with abundant stamina and can sometimes hit a flat spot which would be a concern at this level over two miles perhaps but the extra 5f can help in that regard and I think he'll be one of the strongest stayers in the field. Has already won 5 times from just 13 starts and looks an ideal candidate for such a contest. 2.30 Goodwood - 2pts win Observational @ 11/2 (Bet365) Perhaps hasn't achieved as much as some of these on paper yet but I liked the way he won here last time in a race where he beat the right sort of horses. The ground was softer but it turned into a dash over the 1m3f on that occasion and I don't think that suited this horse - which suggests you can really mark up his performance. He was off the bridle from a fair way out but just kept digging in to hold the rest at bay. Looks sure to improve for a stiffer test today with an extra furlong in his favour and a stronger gallop will suit. Plenty more to come and if handling the quicker ground should go close. 4.50 Goodwood - 1pt win Hedge End @ 12/1 (Ladbrokes) Is right down the bottom of the weights here but has the excellent Cam Hardie on board from a featherweight. She's been very consistent this season, including two excellent runs here when beaten 3/4l on both occasions. Finishes her races off well but has suffered from being off the pace in steadily run affairs the last twice so could only run on without getting involved. There are 14 runners in this race which should ensure a stronger gallop from the get-go and I don't actually think this is as strong as it may look on paper. His course form is strong and hopefully Hardie can time it right on the filly and get her up late on. 5.25 Goodwood - 1pt win Gatepost @ 16/1 (Bet365) Tricky horse without a doubt but has plenty of ability and is undoubtedly well-handicapped off his mark of 81. He was out in the wilderness for much of his four year old days but has run better since returning this year. He ran well at Chester two starts back despite being keen and the race didn't really work out for him last time out. He got outpaced as he looked for a run at a crucial point of the contest and then could only plug on again when regathering his momentum. He looks ready for a return to a big field to ensure some cover and a strong gallop to run at and hopefully that can revitalise him now showing a bit more this season.

Re: Racing For Rupert Will be others but getting this one in early as the price is tasty and I'm worried it might go: 2.05 Goodwood - 3pts win Madeed @ 8/1 (Hills) Really sweet on the chances of Brian Meehan's charge and the trainer's horses are in form at present. This one was pulled out when the rain poured down at Newmarket a couple of weeks ago but will relish the quick ground here and shouldn't find the extra yardage any issue given his pedigree or run style shown on the track. His only flop came in a strange race won by True Story (was seasonal reappearance and many horses bounced back from being well beaten there) but his maiden win looks strong with the runner-up and third rated 90 and 87 respectively now. That came at this venue which is another plus point and you can mark up his run at Ascot for being on the wrong side of the track. If you look at it as an individual race on that day he was beaten 1/2l on his side by American Hope who was only collared back at that venue recently. He was up with the pace throughout and was still staying on at the finish to give further hope to this trip. Behind him that day on his side were First Flight (winner next time), Table Rock (2-2 since including listed race), Pupil (2nd on only start since), Suzi's Connoisseur (beaten 1/2l last time) and Mindurownbusiness (winner next time). That stacks up well, my selection runs off the same mark today and has Kieren Fallon up. This is competitive of course but he really should be running well and hopefully my confidence is justified.

Re: Racing For Rupert 4.50 Goodwood - 2pts win Royal Seal @ 11/2 (Bet365) Progressive type, as you'd expect being trained by Sir Michael Stoute and having run with promise over an insufficient 5f behind Extortionist a few starts back, the step up to 7f and the hood saw a much improved display when comfortably scoring at Sandown by a couple of lengths. Was weak in the market but came with a storming run down the outside and was a very easy winner. Is only 6lbs higher than that today but should revel in conditions unlike last time over 6f on soft when racing away from the main action at Newmarket. Will be suited by the better ground today, and the return to 7f will help too. Looked a horse who could win off 6lbs higher with the nature of her success and it would be foolish to rule out further progression given her connections. 5.25 Goodwood - 2pts win Tigers Tale @ 15/2 (BetVictor) The first thing I noted here was a substantial lack of pace and on a few occasions this week the leaders haven't been coming back to the pack very easily. Because of this I think it could pay to side with one likely to be forcing it and Roger Teal's charge heads that bunch in my eyes. Flopped in a hot race over 9f at Epsom two starts back but if ignoring that he's been ultra consistent and is a tough nut to crack at the head of affairs. Is a game type and did well to battle on as well as he did at Sandown last time when troubled for the early pace. Stays a little bit further which can help in such contests as this and I can see him digging deep from the front come the line.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.05 Goodwood - 1pt win George Guru @ 22/1 (Bet365) Despite having a better record on the all-weather he usually runs well at Goodwood and has registered his sole turf win at this venue. That came last year off a lower mark and over 7f but is a mile winner and has been in good form of late. Couldn't get involved when staying on into midfield at Sandown last time but that showed he wasn't in bad form and the return here is a plus. He absolutely relishes a fast pace which looks assured in this big field and he usually does his winning in decent-sized fields. Given that conditions suit, the way the race should pan out is ideal too, his price looks worth taking advantage of for all this is quite a lofty mark. 3.40 Goodwood - 2pts win Moviesta @ 7/1 (Bet365) Hasn't hit the heights the last twice but won this race in stylish fashion last season and this is probably the first time this season everything should be right for him. Was very progressive last season and shaped as if continuing in that fashion when beaten 2l by Sole Power at Ascot on his reappearance. Bryan Smart claimed he'd need the run but in subsequent starts he's faced 6f and soft ground - a combination not ideal for this one. 5f on a quick surface is much more up his street for all he wasn't disgraced in the July Cup last time. This is a bit easier too and it comes at a time when the yard's horses are in probably their best form of the season. Ought to go well in a bid to retain his crown. 5.25 Goodwood - 2pts win Cameo Tiara @ 7/1 (PP) Has shaped pretty well this season since landing her maiden but hasn't had things drop quite right for her and I'm hoping it all comes together this afternoon. Has had excuses, however, with soft ground against her followed by pace biases in smaller fields and against good rivals. She's been keen too so I'm hoping the bigger field here should ensure a stronger gallop and a bit more cover. She's been shaping like a solid test at this sort of trip would be ideal and the ground should hold no fears. Nothing really stands out in this open race as the one to beat so I wouldn't say it was the best race in the world and if she can put it all together today she can win off this mark.

Re: Racing For Rupert 2.05 Goodwood - 2pts win Secondo @ 12/1 (PP) Is relatively unexposed compared to a lot of these seasoned handicappers and hopefully that will play to his strengths, especially as he's only run twice this season. Don't think you can read too much into those, however, with him expected to need his reappearance run and then things weren't really ideal for him at Doncaster and the fact he wasn't strong in the market/had William Twiston-Davies on board suggests to me they had other days in mind. He should be spot on now having not been given a hard time there (and was stuck out on a wing with no cover) and comes here when the Roger Charlton yard are in better form than earlier in the season. He's only 1lb higher than when beaten 1/2l into second in a good handicap at York last season and conditions suit here. I think an easy 6f with a good gallop will suit and from a likely decent draw can go close. 2.40 Goodwood - 2pts win Second Step @ 15/2 (BetVictor) Kings Fete looks a bit short given his keen nature and my selection has already beaten that one in a maiden off level weights. Based on that, plus the fact this one has done nothing wrong since, at the prices looks the bet. It was a hot little maiden he won over 1m2f on his seasonal reappearance so could be expected to improve on that too. He readily scored by 2l on his handicap debut last time and I still think there's more to come off a higher mark. He looks uncomplicated, progressive and these conditions will really suit so he should be bang in the mix and is appealing at such a price. 3.15 Goodwood - 2pts win Mango Diva @ 9/2 (Bet365) Ryan Moore delivered her on the line in Ireland last time and it's likely to be a similar story if she can get her head in front this afternoon. She's a strong finishing, consistent type with plenty of form in black type races and I expect her to go well today again. She was a bit unfortunate at Epsom earlier in the year but you can always forgive a run there and it wasn't as if she was disgraced at all. This is a weak renewal of the Nassau so I don't think it's a particular rise in class for her and with Moore on board again she should be coming onto the scene late and I think she can win this. 3.50 Goodwood - 2pts win Intrinsic @ 7/1 (Bet365) Tricky affair as always and I'm jumping ship from the favourite here who we backed with success seven days ago. He ought to have a huge chance here turned out quickly but the draw has to be a concern and for that reason I prefer Robert Cowell's charge. He does well with his sprinters and this one looks a progressive type with conditions ideal for him today. He did well to reel in Ashpan Sam here last time - a very speedy front-runner who blitzed his rivals at Epsom next time. That race at Goodwood paid to be on the pace so for Richard Hughes to come through from the rear was a very good effort. He's higher in the weights as you'd expect now but they'll go off hard in this and he's drawn well to track the pace. He's a strong finisher who has won his maiden on quick ground in fine style so that doesn't look too much of a concern and if getting the splits hopefully Hughes can drop him in front inside the final half furlong.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.35 Newbury - 2pts win Mythical Madness @ 9/2 (Ladbrokes) The form of his maiden win wasn't very strong but it was more the way he went about his business that day that impressed. Quickened away to win very easily so I think he'd have beaten some decent types that day even if they were in the field. Didn't quite match that last time out in a hot race at Sandown where they went slow up front and he couldn't get involved. I don't think this is as strong, I don't like those towards the head of the market and I think he can continue his progression this afternoon. 2.40 Newbury - 2pts win Seal of Approval @ 5/1 (Bet365) Not really sure what happened when last seen at Haydock because she was never in the contest. I saw some criticism of the ride she got that day (was held up a long way) but I don't think it made much of a difference. I'm hoping we can just forgive that and on her two runs prior to that must hold a big chance here. The ground suits and her run at York behind Gospel Choir and Tac De Boistron is strong. Pether's Moon holds every chance but on softish ground is this test going to be optimum for him? George Baker hops back on board my selection and he's 2-2 on her. Getting weight I'm hoping she can bounce back. 2.50 Ripon - 2pts win Englishman @ 12/1 (BetVictor) Drawn in the middle which may not be ideal but looks like these conditions will really suit. Strongly run 6f should suit him down to the ground having been just failing to finish off his races ideally over 7f. Was a smart juvenile but is still unexposed having missed last season. Still appears to have plenty of ability and can win off this mark if his track position isn't too much of a problem. Any ease in the ground is no concern. 3.30 Ripon - 1pt win Fast Shot @ 20/1 (Hills) Consistent horse who probably is just about handicapped to the hilt but have thought that in the past and he's come up trumps and enjoys running around Ripon especially if there's some juice in the ground. It bucketed it down yesterday so doubt it'll be riding any quicker than good. Drawn towards the far rail which could be decent enough and the ground was likely too quick at Ascot when staying on without threatening. Rachel Richardson has a good relationship with the horse and we know a good gallop and big fields bring out the best in him. Should give his running.