** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs

kevshat

The Super League playoffs begin on Friday night and rather than have weekly threads for the playoffs we'll just have one. I might open a new thread for the Grand Final depending on how busy it gets. This could be the best playoff series yet and as always all the matches are live on Sky. I won't go through the format because it will take a month and a day to explain but it's out there on the t'interweb for those who don't know it. All playoff chat, bets and thoughts in here :ok.

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Playoffs preview: 2pts ew St Helens to win Super League XVII 8/1 Bet365 (1/3 1-2) History shows one side know how to get to the Grand Final and that is St Helens and with Wigan being the side with clubcall I think Saints are value at 8/1. There’s no way on this earth Wigan will choose St Helens in the final eliminator given the passion and the amount of extra energy Wigan vs Saints matches use up and that would be a week before the Grand Final. That’s very much in St Helens’ advantage as they have the beating of the rest or are no worse than 50/50 against anyone else so I’ll chance that St Helens can return to the Grand Final for a seventh successive time but this time using their experience to get the win when they get there. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/super-league-xvii-betting-st-helens-look-to-be-the-value-in-the-grand-final-betting

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Friday night preview: 4pts Catalans (+14) to beat Wigan Evs Ladbrokes Catalans have shown in their matches at St Helens and Warrington this season that they can be competitive away to the top sides and with everything on the line here I expect them to be competitive in this match too. This is playoff football and you don’t come here and get turned over. Wigan may well win and they may well win by two scores but I don’t see them winning by three, not having played 60 long and hard minutes with 12 men last week which will catch up with them at some point. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wigan-vs-catalans-dragons-betting-french-side-can-stay-within-three-scores-of-league-leaders-in-playoff-opener

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs 4pts St Helens (+10) to beat Warrington Evs Bet365 I like St Helens in this match. I’m always a sucker for St Helens but they know how to raise it for the big occasion and Warrington have a history of falling apart in the crunch playoff games. This isn’t a crunch playoff match but these two met at this stage two years ago and St Helens won and they’ve already won at the Halliwell Jones in the league this season too. It’s playoff footy though and second chance footy at that so I’ll air on the side of caution and take St Helens with a ridiculously big looking 10pt head start in this match. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/warrington-vs-st-helens-betting-st-helens-can-stay-within-10pts-of-warrington-in-playoff-showdown

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs 3pts Huddersfield to beat Hull FC 2/1 Ladbrokes I think the 2/1 on Huddersfield is a big price here. They have already beaten Hull FC twice this season and it should be remembered they were the best side in the competition for the first half of the season. Danny Brough was excellent in the win over Leeds last week and if he can repeat that here he will be too good for Hull. With the talent the Giants have in their halves and the strength in their forwards I’ll take the Challenge Cup semi finalists to keep their season alive by winning this one. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/hull-fc-vs-huddersfield-betting-huddersfield-have-the-know-how-in-the-big-games-to-keep-their-season-alive

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Just have to say that although i dont post as much as i would like to (due to working commitments) i do follow every day, and all posts with reason are very much appreciated. Kev, i followed my own instincts re Catalan v Wigan (-14 pts), tho lumped on your pick re St Helens V Warrington. Just wanna say thank you very much as your insight and posts are very much appreciated. Cheers

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR] [TH=class: firstColumn]Friday 21 September 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos (19:45 BST) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.77 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 26 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 2.5 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.34 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Saturday 22 September 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Warrington Wolves v Hull FC (18:45 BST) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.25 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 28 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 6 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.24 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs You're welcome Chris :ok. Tonight's match preview: 4pts Leeds to beat Catalans Dragons 11/8 Coral Leeds weren’t brilliant against Wakefield last week but they got the job done and I think they might get the job done here too. Catalans were so flat last week that I’m not convinced they can pick themselves up so quickly in the space of a week. I never like it when a side announce a coach is leaving as more often than not it only has a detrimental effect and if last week is anything to go by that’s exactly the case here too. Leeds are a real big game side and they can get it done in France in my eyes. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/catalans-dragons-vs-leeds-betting-leeds-can-keep-their-title-defence-alive-with-a-win-in-france

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Too close to call for me this. My gut says Leeds as they have the past form to show they know how to handle the business end of the season. That said, Catalans are capable of beating anyone on their day and the journey Leeds have had to make to the south of France might give them the edge. Personally I've gone for over 50.5 @ 5/6 Ladbrokes. Last 4 out of 5 games have beaten this marker and tonight has a good chance also, imo.

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs 4pts Hull FC (+14) to beat Warrington 11/10 BetVictor I’m really looking forward to this match. There are so many excellent match ups involved in this match not least the Briscoe/Yeaman Hull left against the Bridge/Monaghan right side of Warrington. I’ve a sneaky feeling for Hull in this match based mainly on the fact they have nothing to lose, they won last week and have momentum and Warrington’s dire playoff record but I think this will be close enough, whoever wins, to suggest Hull are being given a few too many points with a 14pt headstart. They will score points in this match and their defence was very good last week. I think Hull will stay within 14pts here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/warrington-vs-hull-fc-betting-hull-fc-can-sew-the-seeds-of-doubt-in-the-warrington-heads-in-elimination-match

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR] [TH=class: firstColumn]Friday 28 September 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos (20:00 BST) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.29 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 27 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 5.25 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.27 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Saturday 29 September 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] St Helens v Warrington Wolves (18:15 BST) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 2.15 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 20 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 2 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.51 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Friday night preview: 4pts Leeds (+12) to beat Wigan Evs Bet365 This match almost can’t fail to be a classic. Literally everything is on the line here and we’ve even got a bit of needle involved after Leeds feel Wigan coach Shaun Wane spoke out of turn ahead of the Danny Maguire disciplinary case. You would think Leeds will need a huge effort after the brutal match in France last week but adrenalin will largely combat any tiredness and we saw last year that Leeds can go to the league leaders and win. I really find this match too close to call in terms of picking the winner but that only makes me confident that Leeds will stay within 12pts here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wigan-vs-leeds-betting-the-lure-of-old-trafford-can-keep-leeds-close-to-wigan-in-opening-semi-final

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Im with you on leeds tonight, no sam tomkins and im here he wud miss the final shud wigan get there. Half tempted to back leeds outright and have 30 mins to convince myself but the news on tomkins makes this a decent bet for me. 5pts Leeds + 12 to beat wigan-

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Saturday night preview: 4pts St Helens to beat Warrington 11/10 Coral I was with St Helens before the playoffs started and I remain with them here. They know how to make Grand Finals and that experience can be vital. Warrington clearly have a strong side and that should be respected but they do have a fragility in the big games in Super League which can’t be ignored either. This should be an all out classic but with home advantage I’m on the Saints side here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/st-helens-vs-warrington-betting-saints-can-make-it-a-magnificent-seven-consecutive-grand-finals

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Super League Grand Final - Leeds v Warrington. 10pts Warrington (-6) to beat Leeds - 10/11 Various. I think Warrington's performance last week at St Helens was alot to do with the fact Leeds had beaten Wigan the previous evening. Warrington, in my opinion, know that they have the ability to beat Leeds in the big games, I know Leeds always seem to get it done at Old Trafford but I think this could possibly be one final too far. I think the fact Leeds have a good record at Old Trafford is reflected in the Handicap, which I think is slightly too low. Hopefully if Warrington turn up and don't let the occasion get to them, then they will do the business and I see them being better than Leeds by more than 6 points.

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Grand final preview. Loads of bets. All angles covered so to speak :ok. 5pts Warrington (-6) to beat Leeds Evs Ladbrokes 3pts Warrington to win by 13+ 9/4 Blue Square 3pts Over 42.5pts 5/6 Ladbrokes 1pt T.Waterhouse First Tryscorer 25/1 Ladbrokes 2pts T.Waterhouse Anytime Tryscorer 7/2 Skybet The key match up in this game will be the Warrington left side attack vs the Leeds right side defence and it is a match I would expect Warrington to win comfortably. Leeds’ are going to need the very best of Kevin Sinfield’s kicking game just to stay in this final but they’ve had a couple of immensely tough fixtures which have to catch up with them at some point. As long as Warrington don’t freeze on the big stage then I think they’ll have too much attacking power for the Rhinos in this final and it could be that if the Leeds defence have to soak up a lot of early pressure Warrington could run away with this match in the last quarter like they did at St Helens last week. Old Trafford is a vast playing area and there are a lot of special players on show here who can score tries out of nothing. Both sides have great defence but both sets of half backs can open oppositions up while the entire back line for both sides have points in them. I would expect an open game which is often what you get with Warrington so I’ll go with the overs on the points line in this final. I’m sure the early stages of this final will be played up the middle as both sides look to lessen the other’s go forward later in the game and one forward in fine form at the minute is the Australian Trent Waterhouse. Waterhouse opened the scoring when these two met at the Halliwell Jones in the regular season and he went over in the Challenge Cup final between the two as well. Waterhouse has three tries in the last two weeks so he is on top of his game at the minute and looks a big price to go over first at 25/1 as he does to go over anytime at 7/2. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/leeds-vs-warrington-betting-leeds-hopes-can-turn-into-nightmares-at-the-theatre-of-dreams

Re: Stobart Super League XVII - Playoffs Just a couple for fun for me, Briers to score a drop goal in the last 5 minutes has been offered at 14/1 with Skybet under the twitter specials list, if the scores are close and there is only 6 or so points in the game he's the man to take the one pointer as we have seen many times over the past few years. Under the same Skybet offer they've offered a try after 77 min at 8/1, again if its a close game or even a rout there's going to be tired players at this stage and it's not inconceivable that either team can score late on. Lee Briers to drop a goal in the last 5 mins 14/1 @ Skybet A try to be scored after 77 mins 8/1 @ Skybet And good luck with Waterhouse Kev, he's come in before for me and is a great price to score anytime.