** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

NFL 2012 Antepost Betting

Crouch Potato

Thought I'd get this one rolling. Hopefully these two bets are more successful than my first ill-placed wager on the Cardinals winning the Superbowl. :unsure Ryan Matthews most regular season rushing yards @ 15 Paddy Cons: Has a history of injuries. Can miss games through injury. Umm, injury prone a bit. Pros: The Chargers want him to touch the ball as often as possible. Mike Tolbert is gone and they've brought in Ronnie Brown to back him up. Which is to say, they're going to give Mathews as much as he can handle, and have openly said this repeatedly. Personally, I think the odds here more than make up for any injury concerns. Foster is a favourite, but Tate is going to steal looks. MJD is looking like holding out, and Running Backs who hold out rarely do well. Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy are legitimate favourites, but there's nothing about their situation that trumps Mathews'. Honestly can't see why he's anything above 9's. Julio Jones most regular season receiving yards @ 21 Paddy From all reports the Falcons are going to air it out this year and given how poorly Turner finished the season and the number of miles he's racked up I can fully see it happening. And if it does, I see Julio Jones being the real winner. Roddy White is still a force and his presence should ensure that opposition defenses can't double team Jones. Megatron is a deserved favourite, but he's on the cover of Madden. Mike Wallace is above Jones in the betting which frankly is laughable. Wes Welker? Not with Brandon Lloyd on the team. Rodgers shares it around too much, with Jennings, Nelson and Finley all demanding looks and Cobb a sleeper factor. Great value IMO, I expect Jones to beast it this year and have him as 2nd favourite behind Megatron. P.S. If any of you are now planning to draft Julio Jones before me, please remember I have commissioner powers :p

• 2 weeks later...

ok. nfl offensive rookie of the year doug martin @ 20/1 bet365/boyle every noise you hear coming out of tampa suggests they love doug martin and view him a legi three down back and it looks to me like they will phase blount out of the offense gradually and use him in short yardage/goal line situations. running backs have a reasonable strike rate in this market and the main market leaders trent richardson has injury issues and surgery causing him to miss a large portion of the preseason program which is disastrous for a rookie. from the qbs the top two picks in the draft andrew luck i believe could struggle early in his career as i am not a fan of the colts offensive line and lucks mobility while ok is not superb and i am not sold on donald brown as a lead running back keeping defenses honest so i fear they may be able to tee off on luck a little. rg3.....he is a genuine danger i believe and i expect him to have a better rookie year than luck and he will excite people with his run and gun style of play. he looked good on the first preseason start and has impressed in camp also from what i read. as qbs have a decent record also he could be worth a saver but if i have to split the two i think with the money tampa have spent in the offseason they will win more games than the skins and possibly be in the playoff picture and this also influences voters as i cant see the skins improving too far in a very tough division for a rookie qb. martin is the clear value at this price and will hopefully win me a fortune!! ;) Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting @Crouch. Unlucky with Matthews, I fancied him to go really well this season too but now his injury has fcuked that up a bit. This is why I always leave it as late as I can for bets like this because players pick up all sorts of niggles in pre season etc

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting It's normally a good idea but his odds were just too irresistible at the time. The Chargers were barely going to take him off the field so was more than willing to assume the risk. Still a slight chance too - if he can heal quickly and all. Though the focus now is really just to pry him from Sensi's hands. Still think Julio is outstanding value. Outside of Megatron I don't think anyone should be above him in the market. The Cardinal's line looks terrible and I can't see Houston throwing it enough to see Johnson get it.

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting Couple of futures bets that I have my eye on. Chicago to win SB @29.00 and NFC North @6.25 with bet365 Great value here on Chicago. Last season they were really hitting their stride and poised to make noise in the playoffs at 7-3. Unfortunately both Cutler and Forte went down dooming their offense especially Cutler who was playing as well as any QB at the time. They stumbled the rest of the way with Caleb Hanie losing 13-10 and 10-3 type games. Their stout defense remains intact. Peppers and Idonije form a very aggressive partnership on the outside of DLine with former U of Texas RB Henry Melton clogging the inside. Urlacher who seems to have recovered form a knee injury in last seasons finale has recovered well by all accounts and the ever energetic Lance Briggs form a great LB duo that has played together for 7 seasons. The DBs are somewhat no name but very deep as coach Lovie Smith who comes from a DB background loves to carry 8 or so. Offensively Cutler and Forte return along with a top 10 WR in Brandon Marshall who had his best years in Denver with Cutler. Marshall and rookie Alshon Jeffrey are both significant improvements over Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett and Devin Hester. Sophmore Dane Sanzenbacher also emerged as a solid slot receiver and a position of weakness has suddenly become quite formidable. TE Kellen Davis is also an underrated pass catcher and solid blocker. RB Michael Bush brought over form Oakland will alleviate the burden on Forte and he offers similar attributes to Forte along with the extra dimension in short yardage situations. The OLine get a boost with RT Gabe Carimi arguably their best linemen returning. The OLine hampered the offense early in the season but they improved under OLine coach Mike Tice who is now the offensive coordinator. Tice will utilize more running especially a mix of man to man and zone blocking while using play action fakes off the run game. Under Mike Martz the OLine and the offense were often left in difficult situations with Martz' naivety. Martz liked to run slow developing patterns with mediocre WRs and a line that couldn't sustain blocks, Tice's system is more tailored to Chicago offensive skill set. With Tice's familiarity with the players and the players with, the transition should be seamless. Chicago also boasts arguably the best special teams unit in the NFL. Devin Hester is the greatest return man in NFL history and Robbie Gould is accurate and can hit from 50+ yards with ease. The special teams' strength is accentuated playing on Soldier Field slick turf where Hester has returned 80% of his TDs. Solid coaching staff, their leaders Cutler, Forte, Peppers are all in their primes with Urlacher, Briggs and Tillman getting up their in age but by no means over the hill and their leadership gives this unit the best defense in the NFC North.They also have a fairly easy schedule playing against arguably the two worst divisions in the NFL in the AFC South and NFC West, along with Carolina and Dallas. The division will be tough but the additions on offense coupled with the Packers and Lions defensive struggles I see the Bears claiming the division and being contenders for the SB.

Couple of futures bets that I have my eye on. Chicago to win SB @29.00 and NFC North @6.25 with bet365 Great value here on Chicago. Last season they were really hitting their stride and poised to make noise in the playoffs at 7-3. Unfortunately both Cutler and Forte went down dooming their offense especially Cutler who was playing as well as any QB at the time. They stumbled the rest of the way with Caleb Hanie losing 13-10 and 10-3 type games. Their stout defense remains intact. Peppers and Idonije form a very aggressive partnership on the outside of DLine with former U of Texas RB Henry Melton clogging the inside. Urlacher who seems to have recovered form a knee injury in last seasons finale has recovered well by all accounts and the ever energetic Lance Briggs form a great LB duo that has played together for 7 seasons. The DBs are somewhat no name but very deep as coach Lovie Smith who comes from a DB background loves to carry 8 or so. Offensively Cutler and Forte return along with a top 10 WR in Brandon Marshall who had his best years in Denver with Cutler. Marshall and rookie Alshon Jeffrey are both significant improvements over Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett and Devin Hester. Sophmore Dane Sanzenbacher also emerged as a solid slot receiver and a position of weakness has suddenly become quite formidable. TE Kellen Davis is also an underrated pass catcher and solid blocker. RB Michael Bush brought over form Oakland will alleviate the burden on Forte and he offers similar attributes to Forte along with the extra dimension in short yardage situations. The OLine get a boost with RT Gabe Carimi arguably their best linemen returning. The OLine hampered the offense early in the season but they improved under OLine coach Mike Tice who is now the offensive coordinator. Tice will utilize more running especially a mix of man to man and zone blocking while using play action fakes off the run game. Under Mike Martz the OLine and the offense were often left in difficult situations with Martz' naivety. Martz liked to run slow developing patterns with mediocre WRs and a line that couldn't sustain blocks, Tice's system is more tailored to Chicago offensive skill set. With Tice's familiarity with the players and the players with, the transition should be seamless. Chicago also boasts arguably the best special teams unit in the NFL. Devin Hester is the greatest return man in NFL history and Robbie Gould is accurate and can hit from 50+ yards with ease. The special teams' strength is accentuated playing on Soldier Field slick turf where Hester has returned 80% of his TDs. Solid coaching staff, their leaders Cutler, Forte, Peppers are all in their primes with Urlacher, Briggs and Tillman getting up their in age but by no means over the hill and their leadership gives this unit the best defense in the NFC North.They also have a fairly easy schedule playing against arguably the two worst divisions in the NFL in the AFC South and NFC West, along with Carolina and Dallas. The division will be tough but the additions on offense coupled with the Packers and Lions defensive struggles I see the Bears claiming the division and being contenders for the SB.
i absolutely could not agree more. price on chicago is at least double what it should be and you saved me doing a write up when i get back from hols!!! Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting I always like to try out a new sport betting-wise and this season I hope to take more than a on-off interest in NFL. I won't post a great deal of picks but want to watch more games and have a bit of interest in the Super Bowl winner market. I'm going to stake a lot smaller than my usual bets as I suppose I don't know enough to involve the sport in my usual betting methods. The couple that have caught my eye are Baltimore and San Francisco. I don't understand why Baltimore are a big price (20/1). They narrowly lost the AFC Championship final to a team who are only as big as 13/2 so surely the Ravens offer value? They may have to come across New England again but all teams may have to deal with them or Green Bay. The 49ers had a great regular season record and got to the NFC Championship final so I think they could be a good little bet at 14/1. They came close to the Super Bowl match last year so surely have a good chance of going further this time around? I don't know a great deal about the teams other than the basic stuff I've read but just looking at lat seasons results makes me think these prices are ok. Any views from the more clued up NFL fans?

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting

I always like to try out a new sport betting-wise and this season I hope to take more than a on-off interest in NFL. I won't post a great deal of picks but want to watch more games and have a bit of interest in the Super Bowl winner market. I'm going to stake a lot smaller than my usual bets as I suppose I don't know enough to involve the sport in my usual betting methods. The couple that have caught my eye are Baltimore and San Francisco. I don't understand why Baltimore are a big price (20/1). They narrowly lost the AFC Championship final to a team who are only as big as 13/2 so surely the Ravens offer value? They may have to come across New England again but all teams may have to deal with them or Green Bay. The 49ers had a great regular season record and got to the NFC Championship final so I think they could be a good little bet at 14/1. They came close to the Super Bowl match last year so surely have a good chance of going further this time around? I don't know a great deal about the teams other than the basic stuff I've read but just looking at lat seasons results makes me think these prices are ok. Any views from the more clued up NFL fans?
I eprsonally see both teams taking a step back this season. the 49ers won plenty of close games and while I do think there offense is improved there defense might regress a little. I also think they caught many teams off guard early on which led to a great start for them. The Seahawks are much improved and will pose a threat to them in the division. Baltimore's defense is aging and last season might have been their last hurrah. Can Joe Flaco carry them, those odds are too short when in the playoffs he'll go up against Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Manning, Schaub. I would take everyone one of those QBs in a big game over Flacco at the moment. There's some decent value amongst other teams like Cowboys, Falcons, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs IMO

I eprsonally see both teams taking a step back this season. the 49ers won plenty of close games and while I do think there offense is improved there defense might regress a little. I also think they caught many teams off guard early on which led to a great start for them. The Seahawks are much improved and will pose a threat to them in the division. Baltimore's defense is aging and last season might have been their last hurrah. Can Joe Flaco carry them, those odds are too short when in the playoffs he'll go up against Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Manning, Schaub. I would take everyone one of those QBs in a big game over Flacco at the moment. There's some decent value amongst other teams like Cowboys, Falcons, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs IMO
i agree that the niners will take a step back as their schedule is much harder this year and their turnover differential last year was something ridiculous like +19 which is impossible to sustain. the other problem is while they have strengthened at receiver they have brought in moss and manningham who are both deep route big play receivers which moves away from the dink and dunk posession type offense they were running last year and this in my opinion will not play to alex smiths strengths and in fact could expose glaring weaknesses on his lack of a deep ball with any accuracy. baltimore will massively miss suggs this year and the defense looks old which is a concern but if flacco can make the step to the next level they could be a real threat in a weak looking afc this year Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting Thanks for those replies guys. I did put a small stake on each (just before the opener started) so these were a bit too late to change my mind. However, they have helped me see what other things to look out for. I think I'll learn more with a bit of involvement in a couple of sides so a small loss on both wouldn't bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully these two bets are more successful than my first ill-placed wager on the Cardinals winning the Superbowl. :unsure
Maybe not so misplaced after all. Certainly going better than either play prop! Anyone else tempted by the odds on NO to win it? I think Payton is proving a huge loss but triple figures just seems massive to me.

Maybe not so misplaced after all. Certainly going better than either play prop! Anyone else tempted by the odds on NO to win it? I think Payton is proving a huge loss but triple figures just seems massive to me.
Meant to mention your Cards bet after they won in Foxboro last week, so long as they keep their D fit.... As for Saints, they've got GB next week, could be even bigger when they're 0-4?

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting I'm sitting on good Super Bowl odds for the Ravens and 49ers but do wonder whether Green Bay are now a bit of value at 10/1. They should be 2-1 but 1-2 isn't the worst because it is early in the season and they could easily be 3-2 before heading to Texas for a huge game. I'm going to have a good think about it but may get involved before their game at the weekend. Any thoughts?

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting [TABLE=class: data]

[TR=class: label] [TD=align: left][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Sep 9 [/TD] [TD=align: left]San Francisco[/TD] [TD=align: center] Lost 22-30[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Sep 13[/TD] [TD=align: left]Chicago[/TD] [TD=align: center] Won 23-10[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Sep 24[/TD] [TD=align: left]@Seattle[/TD] [TD=align: center] Lost 12-14[/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Sep 30[/TD] [TD=align: left]New Orleans[/TD] [TD=align: center]4:25 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Oct 7[/TD] [TD=align: left]@Indianapolis[/TD] [TD=align: center]2:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Oct 14[/TD] [TD=align: left]@Houston[/TD] [TD=align: center]9:20 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Oct 21[/TD] [TD=align: left]@St. Louis[/TD] [TD=align: center]2:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Oct 28[/TD] [TD=align: left]Jacksonville[/TD] [TD=align: center]2:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Nov 4[/TD] [TD=align: left]Arizona[/TD] [TD=align: center]3:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Week 10[/TD] [TD=align: left]BYE[/TD] [TD=align: center] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Nov 18[/TD] [TD=align: left]@Detroit[/TD] [TD=align: center]3:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Nov 25[/TD] [TD=align: left]@N.Y. Giants[/TD] [TD=align: center]10:20 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Dec 2[/TD] [TD=align: left]Minnesota[/TD] [TD=align: center]3:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Dec 9[/TD] [TD=align: left]Detroit[/TD] [TD=align: center]10:20 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Dec 16[/TD] [TD=align: left]@Chicago[/TD] [TD=align: center]3:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row2] [TD=align: left]Dec 23[/TD] [TD=align: left]Tennessee[/TD] [TD=align: center]3:00 pm[/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [TD=align: left] [/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: left]Dec 30[/TD] [TD=align: left]@Minnesota [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Green Bay: Not the hardest schedule they have got for the rest of the year

• 2 weeks later...

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting I added to my Baltimore and 49ers bets this morning by backing the Packers at 10s with Paddy Power with the same stake. They have a tough task to make sure they make the play-offs but once there could be a match for anyone. When they're on top of their game they are as good as anyone and, although inconsistent so far this year, I believe the win against Houston can put them on a good roll. 10s is just about value enough for me.

• 2 months later...

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting NFC Championship: Green Bay @ $4 sportsbet Super Bowl Winner: Green Bay @ $9 sportsbet Players are healthy on both offence and defence and ready to make another run for the title. Top QB with an improving rushing game, while the defence has its main players there to stop the pass and run

• 3 weeks later...

I always like to try out a new sport betting-wise and this season I hope to take more than a on-off interest in NFL... The couple that have caught my eye are Baltimore and San Francisco... ..Any views from the more clued up NFL fans?
I'm going to try a new sport for 2013, and aim to be as 'un-clued up' as you felt you were :lol

Re: NFL 2012 Antepost Betting There's no 'claim' about it - worked on very simple logic throughout the season and just ended up in profit from the weekly bets. February 3rd will boost those figures further so there's no reason not to take the same approach next year.

There's no 'claim' about it - worked on very simple logic throughout the season and just ended up in profit from the weekly bets. February 3rd will boost those figures further so there's no reason not to take the same approach next year.
Who said 'claim'? :unsure Was a great effort to get both SB teams onside before the season even started

I always like to try out a new sport betting-wise and this season I hope to take more than a on-off interest in NFL. I won't post a great deal of picks but want to watch more games and have a bit of interest in the Super Bowl winner market. I'm going to stake a lot smaller than my usual bets as I suppose I don't know enough to involve the sport in my usual betting methods. The couple that have caught my eye are Baltimore and San Francisco. I don't understand why Baltimore are a big price (20/1). They narrowly lost the AFC Championship final to a team who are only as big as 13/2 so surely the Ravens offer value? They may have to come across New England again but all teams may have to deal with them or Green Bay. The 49ers had a great regular season record and got to the NFC Championship final so I think they could be a good little bet at 14/1. They came close to the Super Bowl match last year so surely have a good chance of going further this time around? I don't know a great deal about the teams other than the basic stuff I've read but just looking at lat seasons results makes me think these prices are ok. Any views from the more clued up NFL fans?
:clap