** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th

Aidymac

*Jim Furyk - 2.5 Points WIN @ 50/1 Paddy Power* I think Jim may have a good chance in this year's PGA. He seems to be getting back to his former self in 2012 after a couple of relatively poor years for him. He has won 16 times on tour, he has a weird swing, but he is a very effective player. Looking at his year this year, he has only missed 2 cuts out of 16 events, and his results are pretty consistent and impressive, even without winning. He has had 4 Top 10's this season so far, 2nd inthe Transitions where he lost out on a play-off, was 4th in the Crowne Plaza and was also 4th in the US Open, where at one stage he looked like he was going to win that tournament, but he let a lead slip. He was also 8th in the Heritage. He has had a good few Top 20's too, he is playing great golf this year. He has made the cut in the last 4 PGA Championships, he has had 3 Top 10's in this event over the years, but has never won it, and with time running out on his career, just like we saw with Ernie in the Open, he will be very eager to try to win this tournament. I think he has a live chance in what will be a tough event.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Pádraig Harrington win 2pts @ 50/1 (Bet365) I'm not gonna jump off my horse and after a disappointing display in the British Open I hope Harrington can prove me right on this very difficult course where he won the World Cup of Golf 15 years ago together with Paul McGinley. Harrington is of course a former winner of the US PGA Championship in 2008 and I'll be with him once again. I'm having a second bet on Steve Stricker win 1pt @ 50/1 Stricker has got the experience to play very well in this kind of tournament and has been playing pretty well of late. Won a tournament at the start of the season (Hyundai Tournament of Champions at Maui in Hawaii), has got 9 top10 finish in the Majors in his long career and in the US PGA Championship was 2nd in 1998 (his best ever result in a Major), T7 in 2006, T23 in 2007, T39 in 2008, T18 in 2010 and T12 in 2011. In 2011 he finished all the Majors in the top20 (T11 at the Masters, T19 at the US Open, T12 at the Open Championship and T12 at the US PGA Championship). This year the results have been a little worse but still playing a solid golf that gave him a T47 in the Masters and a T15 in the US Open before a T23 yesterday at the Open Championship. Has dropped a bit in the ranking after many years in the top10 of the PGA Tour (nr.22 atm) but I still saw a talented golfer at the top of his game and in the Ocean Course I'll be happy to side with an experienced talented golfer in good form like him in addition to Harrington.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Been waiting for you to get this one up Aidy! Curious as to what everyone's read on the course is? From what I can tell it's going to play a little bit like a links course with changable weather conditions throughout, an ocean breeze and no real consistency as to which way the winds will blow. Of course, it's over 7600 yards in length, so in that respect it's going to be like a US Open. I'm not quiet sure how severe the rough is meant to play so would be interested to know if anyone's read anything about it, but to my mind it's going to play as a cross between a US Open and an Open Championship. Not sure that's how others are perceiving it though?

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th

Been waiting for you to get this one up Aidy! Curious as to what everyone's read on the course is? From what I can tell it's going to play a little bit like a links course with changable weather conditions throughout' date=' an ocean breeze and no real consistency as to which way the winds will blow. Of course, it's over 7600 yards in length, so in that respect it's going to be like a US Open. I'm not quiet sure how severe the rough is meant to play so would be interested to know if anyone's read anything about it, but to my mind it's going to play as a cross between a US Open and an Open Championship. Not sure that's how others are perceiving it though?[/quote'] The Ocean Course is the closest thing you will get to links golf outside of the UK and Ireland. Apparently players can experience up to an 8 club differnce for the same shot when playing different holes. For the Ryder Cup in 1991, players were hitting 7 and 8 irons into one of the par 3's. Come Sunday they were playing 3 woods into it!!! That is how windy it can get here. 10 of the holes are right along the Atlantic coast, so has no shelter from the sea whatsoever. They first intended on putting in sand dunes, but then changed their minds as that would take away the amazing views, but whan that does it make the course nearly unplayable when very windy. The greens are very big, can be 40 - 50 yards back to front. Apparently you need a shot-maker to play this course well, Bubba springs to mind? And Tiger has nowhere to hide here, as the hole's are too long for him not to hit the driver, he has to hit the driver on this course. From what i read, this is a tough tough course, and players that can play well on links will be suited to it.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th *Ian Poulter - 4 Points e/w @ 80/1 Ladbrokes* I was impressed with Ian in the Open where he finished T9th. He struck the ball very well, and planned out every shot before hand, and will certainly be suited to the Ocean Course here in America, where high winds are likely. He was also 7th in the Masters this year, and T41 in the US Open, so he is having some good performances in the majors this year. He was 3rd in the Arnold Palmer also this year. Surprisingly his only win on the PGA Tour was the Accenture Matchplay a couple of years ago, and he is a quality player, that will win more tournaments. He nearly always makes the cut in the PGA Championship which is something i look for, and was T9 in it back in 2006. As a matter of fact, he hasn't missed the cut here since 2001. At the price, i feel he is worth a bet.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Thanks Aidy, that's pretty much my take on it too. Links ability needed but with the caveat that you have an added advantage if you are long off the tee. Jason Day @ 80 Betfair (Small bet - 1pt) Twice 2nd in Major's last year and is a long hitter which I feel is going to be quite important, particularly if playing into the wind. Didn't play the Open due to the birth of his first child and isn't a renowned links player. However his length off the tee and strong showing in Majors, combined with these odds, is enough for me to warrant a small bet.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Robert Garrigus @ 350 Betfair (Small bet - 1pt) I actually made this bet before his round started today so temporarily there's no liquidity at the moment. Unless he wins the RBC though I can't see his odds shifting too much. He's had 2 second place finishes this year and is very long off the tee. He's obviously got no pedigree on links courses so as such keeping the stake small, but he's definitely a player I like for future US Opens and given his driving distance, length of the Ocean course and his form this season, I feel the need to have a little something on.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Nicholas Colsaerts @ 85 Betfair (Small-Medium bet - 4pts) Colsaerts is in the middle of a career year where he's already won on the European Tour as well as had a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th. He shot two 65's in the British Open and was 2nd in the China Open, which was played in links like conditions. A third in last year's Scottish Open only further underscores his ability to play on links courses. He also leads Driving Distance this year on the European Tour, with a massive 317 yard average. Huge off the tee and the ability to play links for me is a deadly combination for Kiawah and I think Colsaerts is a great sneaky play. It should be noted that he hasn't technically qualified yet, but I fully expect him to be invited after the year he's had. (In total this year, he's had 1x win, 1x 2nd, 1x 3rd, 1x 4th, 2x 7th including the British Open, 2x 9th, an 11th and a 27th in the US Open where he entered the final day on +2 and well in with a chance. I can't see him being ignored, and even if he is, I'm pretty sure Betfair void bets on non-starters. A poor round will obviously cost him, like it did in the Open, so inexperience goes against him, but otherwise I like what he has to offer and am more than happy to have him as my number 2 bet for the PGA Championship.

Padraig Harrington @ 55/1,each way 1/4 odds 1-5,Panbet I'm with Edberg here. Was going to wait til nearer the time,but i can't see the odds on Padraig going any higher than 55/1 or lasting too long,so happy with this price despite knowing better place terms will inevitably be available with some firms nearer the time etc. Not a lot to add to Edberg's comments. A class player who has played well here back in 1997,winning the team title with Paul McGinley in the World Cup of Golf. Three top 10s this year,T8 in Masters and T4 in US Open & T7 in the AT&T Pebble Beach back in February are his most notable efforts. He went well in the Travellers Championship shooting four rounds in the 60's to finish T11,before his 39th finish in the Open,last time out. Hopefully he can reproduce his best form on this tricky course,where he'll have fond memories of ;-D

Dustin Johnson @ 33/1,each way 1/4 odds 1-5,Ladbrokes Going with Johnson mainly because it would annoy me too much to miss out were he to win,having backed him a few times recently. Read somewhere that every winner of US PGA since 2004(?) has had a driving average of over 290 yards. So DJ obviously ticks this particular box. Much is being made of the new ruling regarding bunkers counting as waste areas,so he is very much in the limelight re his misfortunes at Whistling Straits a couple of years ago. He will be very keen to erase that. This year he has had a couple of top 5 finishes in February(T5 in AT+T Pebble Beach and T4 in Northern Trust). After returning from injury,he wasted no time & won the St Jude Classic. A little disappointing since,but did finish a creditable T9 in the Open,so hopefully he is returning to form at the right time. Happy with 33s(as low as 25/1 elsewhere). No more for me in this,just DJ & Harrington... Best of luck to all with their bets in this :)

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th *Kyle Stanley - 4 Points e/w @ 150/1 Stanjames* I think this is a very big price for a talented young golfer who got his first career win this year. He is still only 24, but plays like a man with a lot of experience. He won the Phoenix Open this year, and he only lost out in the Farmers Insurance in a play-off the week before that. He missed a good few cuts after that, but there are signs he is about to post a big score of late, as he has made the last 5 cuts in a row, playing very well in the John Deere and the AT&T National. He also played very well in the British Open where he finished T39. This is his first USPGA, and i think he has a chance at a big price.

*Jim Furyk - 2.5 Points WIN @ 50/1 Paddy Power* I think Jim may have a good chance in this year's PGA. He seems to be getting back to his former self in 2012 after a couple of relatively poor years for him. He has won 16 times on tour, he has a weird swing, but he is a very effective player. Looking at his year this year, he has only missed 2 cuts out of 16 events, and his results are pretty consistent and impressive, even without winning. He has had 4 Top 10's this season so far, 2nd inthe Transitions where he lost out on a play-off, was 4th in the Crowne Plaza and was also 4th in the US Open, where at one stage he looked like he was going to win that tournament, but he let a lead slip. He was also 8th in the Heritage. He has had a good few Top 20's too, he is playing great golf this year. He has made the cut in the last 4 PGA Championships, he has had 3 Top 10's in this event over the years, but has never won it, and with time running out on his career, just like we saw with Ernie in the Open, he will be very eager to try to win this tournament. I think he has a live chance in what will be a tough event.
Looks like Jim is going to win the Bridgestone. :wall His odds will shorten, but hard to see him win 2 events in 2 weeks. Gutted i didn't have a bet on the Bridgestone now!

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Dustin Johnson @ 34 Betfair (20pts) I absolutely love this bet and this is easily my biggest golf bet of... well, ever. As I've mentioned previously, I think this is going to play like a links course but with length also an important factor, so anyone who can play well in links conditions and hit it long has a big advantage. This is Dustin Johnson to a tee. 2nd in the Open last year, 9th in the Open this year. Contended in the 2010 US Open where he had a lead heading into Sunday. That same year he also contended the PGA Championship and would have at least been in a playoff except for that bunker penalty. He's not won a Major yet, but he has certainly come very close. Kiawah is of course, an Ocean course, and whilst there is nothing quite like it, I think performances at Pebble Beach have to be given some due. A tournament that, not so coincidentally, IMO, Dustin Johnson has won twice. It was also the host of the US Open where he held the Sunday lead. Dustin Johnson is also a Carolina native, and only lived about an hour or so from the course. Length, as I said, should be a factor here -- it measures some 7676 yards. Dustin Johnson averages a cool 308 yards off the tee, good enough for 7th best this year, and his abilities as a bomber are surely undisputed. Ideally he'll hit it a bit straighter than his stats suggest, but with the links conditions coming into play I feel this is less of a concern. Interestingly, with Keegan's win this week there was an interesting stat that the tour brought up - there are 5 players under 30 win 3 or more wins on TOUR. Keegan (3) joins Rory McIlroy (3), Anthony Kim (3) and Webb Simpson (3). Dustin Johnson has (6). Aside from Kim, the others all have Majors. It's obviously not a particularly causative reason to back him this weekend, but having already backed Dustin, found it comforting nonetheless. There's no doubt Dustin Johnson has the talent to win a Major, and I think that he has a lot of things going in his favour. The length of the course, the links like conditions, a native of the state, the recent experience of contending in Majors. Now, having said all that, watch him double bogey the first and miss the cut :lol

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th So for me this week on the Outright front: 20pts Dustin Johnson @ 34 avg (been backing him for 2 weeks, so got some at a bit above and some a little below) 4pts Nicholas Colsaerts @ 85 1pt Robert Garrigus @ 350 1pt Jason Day @ 80 Quite happy to let most of the outright money sit with Dustin, but will probably look to have a couple of Top 10 bets on some outsiders.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th L.Donald (top English) 7/4 By far the most consistent player at the moment and looks to have channelled his priorities into majors this season. P.Hanson (top Swede) 3/1 Usually does well in the big tournaments and has the game and temperament to suit this course. C.Schwartzel (top SA) 4/1 Els came back to form last time but its asking a lot to for him to repeat here, Oosthuizen slipped up last week and is finding it difficult to put 4 rounds together so Schwartzel looks the steady one in this market. R.McIlroy (top Ire) Evens Short price but fancy him to go close this week and should take care of Harrington and Gmac. Looked much better last time out and will be desperate to do well. 1pt Lucky 15 Bet365 ___________ B.Watson Outright 35/1 EW Boylesports (1st 6) Looks a more relaxed player since his major win and showed last week in a couple of rounds that he's in good form. Rises to the occasion in the really big tournaments and should be thereabouts with his length off the tee. P.Hanson Outright 125/1 EW Boylesports (1st 6) Massive price for a very consistent player, has done well in the states this season and is a very straight hitter, if he gets off to a good start he has the nerve to challenge. H.Mahan Outright 50/1 EW Betvictor (1st 6) Been one of the top USA players for a few years now and has just been off the pace in the majors but is a big price for someone with his talent. Will think his way round the course and wouldnt surprise me to see him reach the frame this time.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th I like the prices on a few here so i'm going to go in with 6 outrights this week with fairly small stakes. 1.5/10pts Each-Way Dustin Johnson to win - 25/1 with BetFred (1/4 odds 1-6) I really like the chances of Dustin this week and think this is a very nice price to get involved with. I think this course could trouble a few of the market leaders if it does play like a course we are more used to seeing at the British Open, but Johnson isn't in that category. In the last 3 years at the British Open he has finised; T14th, T2nd and T9th so he will have no problems if required to use those links golf skills. He also hits it a fair way and that should be a big advantage for him on this course. With a win already this year and a top 20 finish last time out to follow a solid major, he comes here in very good shape and should challenge. 1pt/10pts Each-Way Louis Oosthuizen to win - 35/1 with Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-6) I was on Louis last week and he played well to record a top 5 finish in a decent field. He wasn't at his best in the final round but was still solid enough to keep himself up there and allowed himself to play with freedom on the back 9 when he was slipping out of contention for the win. He was striking the ball well and the mistakes he did make in that final round don't worry me too much because he had to attack if he wanted to win. Some shots came off, some didn't but I liked what I saw over the 4 days. He hits it long enough, has a relaxed attitude and his good experiences at the British Open should give him confidence. I think he can go well here. 0.75/10pts Each-Way Nicolas Colsaerts to win - 66/1 with Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-6) This lad is a huge hitter and when the rest of his game is in good shape he can make a real impact. We saw at the British Open just what he can do when on form and his experience of winning the Matchplay title this year will be a real help should he be up there challenging on the final day. He is having a really good year, has done well on both major appearances this season, hits a long way and is a good price. That's enough for me to get involved. 0.75/10pts Each-Way Steve Stricker to win - 35/1 with Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-6) Steve Stricker was immaculate on Sunday and finished well up the leaderboard to show he is in good shape. I don't think his price reflects that form and, although he isn't a massive hitter, he more than makes up for that on the putting greens. He is accurate enough to be able to put in 4 good rounds and should only need the odd hot streak this week to go with the usual solid play to challenge. He showed that on his last outing and i'm willing to back him in the hope that he reproduces. 0.5/10pts Each-Way Rickie Fowler to win - 55/1 with SkyBet (1/4 odds 1-5) I strongly believe that Rickie Fowler has a British Open in him so, for me, it makes sense to have a small bit on him this week. He has recorded some very good finishes in Britain and has the ability to adapt his game depending on what the conditions require. He had a nightmare at his last tournament but I still think this price offers a little value. He has a win now so that is a good thing if he's in contention on Sunday but the stake isn't too big because, after last week, i'm not too sure how he will react if he has a couple of bad runs. 0.5/10pts Each-Way Vijay Singh to win - 150/1 with Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-6) A bit of a speculative punt this one but it isn't without reason. Vijay is still recording some impressive results and over the last few weeks has really stood out for me. He already has a few top 10 finishes to his name this year and a couple of those have come in his last couple of outings. At the Canadian Open he finished in a tie for 7th whilst in the British Open he finished in a tie for 9th so he is clearly in good form. This man is about as experienced as they come and will fancy his chances this week of putting in another good performance in a major. I don't think the price is low enough considering those recent results so will have a bit on him sneaking a place and maybe, just maybe, he will go on to lift the trophy.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th RICKI FOWLER E/W 50/1 1-6 BOYLESPORTS~ Looks a major winner in waiting for me with time very much has time on his side. Had a really good month in May a bit off the boil since but very talented lad who should put up a good show on home soil. MARTIN KAYMER E/W 80/1 1-6 BOYLESPORTS~ Already a major winner quiet enough year but should never been written off will bounce back at some stage much to big of price for this imo and is overdue a top 6 finish. RORY McILROY E/W 20/1 1-6 + 1ST ROUND LEADER E/W 25/1 PP~Coming back to form if he starts well will be hard to catch.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Tournament preview: 2pts ew B.Watson to win USPGA Championship 33/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-6) 1pt ew J.Dufner to win USPGA Championship 28/1 Skybet (1/4 1-5) Watson has already won a major this year when he won the US Masters and went well for long periods in The Open too. That’s good as it showed he can play well on a coastal course like this one is. Watson is the longest of anyone off the tee and with the wide landing areas on the fairways this week the course is almost at his mercy. In 2010 the USPGA was played on a Pete Dye course and Bubba only lost out in a playoff but two years on he can win this. Dufner featured strongly at the US Open earlier in the year and while he doesn’t have the length off the tee very few are as accurate as he is tee to green. If his putter gets hot then he could well be a factor in the tournament in which he was runner up in last year on a course which was 200 yards shorter than this one but played to a par two shots less. Dufner lost in a playoff last year but I expect him to be there or thereabouts this year. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/uspga-championship-betting-bubba-watson-and-jason-dufner-value-to-go-one-better-than-they-have-in-last-two-years

Tournament preview: 2pts ew B.Watson to win USPGA Championship 33/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-6) 1pt ew J.Dufner to win USPGA Championship 28/1 Skybet (1/4 1-5) Watson has already won a major this year when he won the US Masters and went well for long periods in The Open too. That’s good as it showed he can play well on a coastal course like this one is. Watson is the longest of anyone off the tee and with the wide landing areas on the fairways this week the course is almost at his mercy. In 2010 the USPGA was played on a Pete Dye course and Bubba only lost out in a playoff but two years on he can win this. Dufner featured strongly at the US Open earlier in the year and while he doesn’t have the length off the tee very few are as accurate as he is tee to green. If his putter gets hot then he could well be a factor in the tournament in which he was runner up in last year on a course which was 200 yards shorter than this one but played to a par two shots less. Dufner lost in a playoff last year but I expect him to be there or thereabouts this year. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/uspga-championship-betting-bubba-watson-and-jason-dufner-value-to-go-one-better-than-they-have-in-last-two-years
3 others for me as well as the two above.... 1pt ew G.McDowell to win USPGA Championship 45/1 William Hill (1/4 1-5) Graeme McDowell has served me well in the majors this year but more importantly he's served himself well too. He is very good on coastal courses. We know all about his links background but we need to remember he won the US Open at Pebble Beach which isn’t too dissimilar to this in terms of proximity to the coast. Gmac loves nothing more than shaping shots into the wind and with his major record so good this year I think McDowell can be right in the mix come Sunday. McDowell has been in the top 15 in all three majors so far this year and I expect another strongly competitive showing from him here. 1pt ew N.Colsaerts to win USPGA Championship 66/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-6) Colsaerts has already featured strongly in the US Open and The Open this year and his length has to be a factor on this golf course. We know he can play into the wind and when the courses are long he often comes into his own as not only is he long off the tee but he’s accurate to go with it. Colsaerts has shown his major credentials this year and I think he’s a good bet to be right in the mix this week. He is another who has the golf course set up well for him and it will be a big surprise to me if he isn't featuring come Sunday. 0.5pts ew R.Garrigus to win USPGA Championship 100/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-6) I'm with Crouchy here. In many ways Robert Garrigus is an obvious selection in this tournament purely because of his length off the tee but when you factor in his form this year he's not such a one dimensional pick as it would first appear to be. He has had five top 10 finishes on the PGA Tour this season, three of which have been second placed finishes so he's going well without winning at the minute. In his last tournament he finished 2nd in the Canadian Open and then said if he putter was playing the game he'd have won by 7 shots! Garrigus was third in the US Open last year so long major courses don't worry him and if he drives the ball well this week it is hard to see his length not having him in contention over the weekend at a huge price.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th *Webb Simpson - 2 Points e/w @ 51/1 Bluesquare - 6 Places* I think Webb is a backable price for this. I had him backed for the US Open where he obliged @ 50/1 for me, so an extra point here looks a tad overpriced. He is now ranked 5th in the world, and is on top of his game at the moment. He has only misses 2 cuts all year, and he missed the British Open as his wife was having a child. He also has 4 Top 10's this season. His first PGA was last year where he missed the cut, but he should have learned from that, and is a much better player now. Must have a chance with the year he is having. *Jonathon Byrd - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Coral* I am going to keep the faith with this guy, as i know he is an exceptional player, and 200/1 is overpriced. He has had 5 wins on the PGA Tour, and his form is not as bad as you would expect it to be for his price. He has only missed 3 cuts all year, he was T3 in the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, T8 in the Northern Trust, T9 in the Wells Fargo, T6 in the Memorial, so he has gone close a few times. He was T20 in the PGA back in 2006, and i am hoping he can make the cut this weekend. *Gary Woodland - 1 Point e/w @ 250/1 Skybet* There were rumours 2-3 years ago that this guy could be the next Tiger Woods. I laughed at that. But in saying that, he is a big price here this weekend for such a long hitter of the ball. He is ranked 2nd in Driving Distance on the PGA Tour, he smashes it. Hopefully he is accurate this week though, as he will need to be, but if he is he has a squeak. He has had a very poor season, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt as he is still quite young. He won the Transitions in 2011, so he does know how to win. He was also T12 in the PGA last year on his first attempt, so that is a positive.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Im putting up 4 against the field this week guys,each from a different continent.From Australia Iv plumped for Aaron Baddely who i have noticed can show up with low scores from time to time and think he may be ready to step up this week and challenge for the final major of the season.Secondly from South Africa Im hoping that Thomas Aiken can continue on from his excelent showing at the Brittish open and do himself justice over hopefully the next four days.Angel Cabrera from South America is my third pick mainly because of his experience over the years and with him being a masters winner Im hoping he can keep a calm head and show up well for the veteran players.Finally Iv selected Jamie Donaldson of Wales as I keep thinking back to his fantastic maiden euro tour victory in Ireland earlier this year his closing 66 evidence that coastal course was very much to his liking.Also his opening and closing rounds last week at Firestone,68 and 66 were excellent considering his limited experience in the USA.All these golfers are well up in the three figure prices for both first round leader and outright and Iv also taken 50s one fifth for five places top GB and Ireland which i hope will prove good value come Sunday night.Good luck everybody on your selections this weekend.

*Gary Woodland - 1 Point e/w @ 250/1 Skybet* There were rumours 2-3 years ago that this guy could be the next Tiger Woods. I laughed at that. But in saying that, he is a big price here this weekend for such a long hitter of the ball. He is ranked 2nd in Driving Distance on the PGA Tour, he smashes it. Hopefully he is accurate this week though, as he will need to be, but if he is he has a squeak. He has had a very poor season, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt as he is still quite young. He won the Transitions in 2011, so he does know how to win. He was also T12 in the PGA last year on his first attempt, so that is a positive.
Nice start from him Aidy......some guy called McIlroy did ok also but very early days yet though.

Nice start from him Aidy......some guy called McIlroy did ok also but very early days yet though.
Yes Ted, a good start from him! Just hope he doesn't implode now........ Rory was back to his very best today! Looks a different player!

Come on Aidy, land the big one my son!! *Looks like the morning will be a big advantage on day 2 according the weather experts.
What was the weather like overall yesterday BH? From what golf i saw, it looked like perfect conditions? If the wind comes, it won't suit Woodland and i would expect some of the european players to perform best.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Had a bit of a dabble on this afternoons threeballs..... 4/10pts K. Bradley to beat M. Kaymer and T. Woods - 13/8 with Bet365 (6.40pm UK time) If this was down to current form then I wouldn't understand why this price isn't shorter but because it is Tiger he was always going to be the favourite to have the better round here. Bradley was in fine form yesterday and leads this group currently after an opening round that saw him finish four under par. Woods is just a shot back whilst Kaymer has only carried on from what he did at The Open - seven over for him. Kaymer knows he will probably be heading home after today so the motivation won't be there as much as for the other two and i'm happy to rule him out. Woods has done ok this year but I still don't think he is confident enough from the tee to be able to convince me he is worth getting involved with at this price. In The Open he looked ultra-conservative and there is no guarantee that his putter will be hot these days. Bradley is in fine form. He comes here after a powerful final day display last Sunday that saw him win a tournament and has extra motivation here knowing that he is defending his title. He is good on the greens at the moment and I think that is a bigger plus than the negative of the odd wild shot from the tee. He is full of confidence and that is more than can be said about the other two players. There is obviously the chance that Tiger will get on one of his rolls soon but I think this price is big enough to offer value. Hopefully Keegan will do the business. 5/10pts L. Oosthuizen to beat S.Stricker and I. Poulter - 13/8 with SkyBet (6.50pm UK time) I have backed both Oosthuizen Stricker to win the tournament outright but, after seeing the wind could get up a bit later on, this price on the South African has tempted me in. Stricker struggled a bit yesterday and, although he is far from out of it, some wind coupled with the lack of real power may make today another tough one for him. He has been in good form lately, though. Poulter finishd a couple under yesterday but, to me, he doesn't seem to be able to hold it together when things aren't going his way. I don't think his temperament is the greatest and that is probably the reason why he never seems able to back up a good round in the first couple of days of a major with another to get him in to contention. If he drops shots he is in the category of players who will drop a few within a few holes rather than get himself together and stop the decline. I wouldn't have him priced anywhere near 2/1 today. Oosthuizen is the opposite of Poulter. He has a fantastic temperament and knows what it takes to get in contention for big tournaments. When he won The Open he proved he could deal with wind and he comes here after a good performance last week. He hits far enough off the tee to deal with this course and can vary his shots enough to cope with less than ideal conditions. He put in a solid round yesterday and I feel he will go better than these two rivals today.

4/10pts K. Bradley to beat M. Kaymer and T. Woods - 13/8 with Bet365 (6.40pm UK time) 5/10pts L. Oosthuizen to beat S.Stricker and I. Poulter - 13/8 with SkyBet (6.50pm UK time)
A bit of a disaster for me yesterday with both of these always looking like losing from the first hole. Bradley's putting was below his usual solid stuff for the first time in a while whilst Louis had everything go wrong for him. The wind was even worse than I thought it would be so that made it extra tough for everyone. Oh well, let's hope for better today.

Re: USPGA Championship - August 9th - August 12th Going to take a couple this afternoon. Judging by the forecast the wind could once again be a factor but I doubt anywhere near as big as yesterday. 3/10pts R. Ishikawa to beat B. Curtis - 5/4 with William Hill (5.10pm UK time) This is more down to seeing good value than anything else for me. I was impressed with how the Japanese star held it together on the front nine yesterday but then he let all that good work unravel with a poor run on the way in to the clubhouse. He lost 6 shots in that run and I think that is why this price isn't closer to evens. He proved the day before that he can play those holes and I don't think he is the type to let yesterday's bad run get to him mentally like some others might. Yes, if the weather is terrible again he will probably struggle but then again, Curtis could too. I don't think the difference between this pair is that great so, to see 5/4 on offer when i was expecting closer to 11/10 is a nice surprise. 3/10pts G. McDowell to beat P. Mickelson - 21/20 with BoyleSports (7.10pm UK time) This should be a good two ball as it involves players who have had to battle over the last couple of days but are still in contention. I've sided with McDowell for a number of reasons and the first is that I have been far from impressed by Mickelson's play from the tee and fairways. I have seen a lot of him on Sky this week and every time they cut to him he seems to be in a spot of bother because of his wayward play up to the green. His short game has kept him in this and the amount of times it got him out of a whole yesterday was amazing. He has always been fantastic in that area but having to rely on that on a course like this will, I think, take it's toll eventually. McDowell struggled yesterday but so did almost everyone and he carded a six over par round with his long putting not being too great. From what I saw, that usually strong part of his game was unusually a little weak. He has come here in decent form and he always comes to Majors in with a shout these days. I think overall he is in better shape than Mickleson and, if the weather is calmer today and he can get back to putting like he was on Thursday, his play to the green will put him a step ahead of the American. I'd have him slightly odds on rather than odds against.