Announcements
** December Poker League Result : 1st muttley, 2nd LIKE2FISH, 3rd kevsul **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st Like A Roughie, 2nd Paperclip, 3rd Kingdom for, 4th Alastair, 5th Gray306 **
** December Naps Competition Result: 1st BARNSLEYCHOP, 2nd SADDLESORE, 3rd ZIDANE123, 4th ADAMROSS. KO Cup Winner BBBC, Most Winners: JCW **

Friendlies involving non-league teams

I don't like too much action on the friendlies but there are always some interesting plays in July and August. Coventry City visit Hinckley United tomorrow (Sat 14 July) and Bet365 have priced up Cov HT/FT at 13/10 - too high for me. There won't be many people backing Coventry next season but they look better prepared going into this one. Neither side has played yet, but Cov travel with the first team and a handful of triallists, and they've been drilling for a couple of weeks. Hinckley look set for a season of struggle in the Conny North. They've lost key players in Danny Newton and skipper Andy Gooding, and this week Richard Lavery jumped ship to Barwell - a team a step lower, with more ambition and offering better wages. They have barely enough players signed for a six-a-side at the moment - the sometimes dangerous Jason Bradley has joined from Eastwood and a couple of players from Oadby Town, adding to the remnants of a squad that has been dismantled over the summer. The holes will be filled by triallists, who will be trying I'm sure, but it's hard to see them getting them a foothold in the game. Weather, of course, might play its part in ensuring a 0-0 but Hinckley haven't really done 0-0s in recent seasons and I think the price is a touch generous. Hinckley United v Coventry City - Coventry HT/FT 13/10 Bet365

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams As wild as they come, but Paddy Power have priced Quorn up at 16/1 for the home game with Crew Alex tonight. Crewe, of course, are rightly massive favourites and should find it pretty easy against junior opposition (they notched up a 10-1 win in this fixture a year ago), but they are also scheduled to play Chasetown tonight (a level higher than Quorn's standard) and I'm guessing at the very least it will be split squads, which perhaps gives the home side a greater chance than the price suggests. Quorn were awful last season but they should improve under new boss Tommy Brookbanks this season and they've already managed a 3-3 with Grantham Town and a 1-0 win over Eastwood Town, both sides from two levels higher. If the Chasetown game is off, then no doubt the whole of the Crewe 1st team squad will travel to Quorn, in which case I'll be backing Crewe on any available handicaps, but as things stand 16/1 is a big, if unlikely, price.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams No joy with Quorn last night, who did face a reduced-strength Crewe but lost 3-0. Some intriguing prices this week, with more coming on all the time. I'd favour Altrincham at home to Morecambe, but the visitors are sending a full-strength side. Worth keeping an eye on the squad that Tamworth are sending to Rushall Olympic - the home side should be competitive this season and Tamworth have a lot of football to play this week, though if they are at full-strength then the prices are about right (Rushall haven't played much yet). Shepshed Dynamo/Eastwood Town is another interesting match, though I expect Eastwood to be much better this season. BetVictor go 21/4 about Shepshed though there isn't a huge edge. Most intriguing of all is 13/2 Boreham Wood at home to Watford (Boyle) - Wood have played two excellent warm-ups (they'll be a decent side in the Conference South this season), with 1-1s against West Ham and Stevenage. Watford, of course, have undergone major changes but have only had a week or so of drilling under the new regime. They will probably be AN-Other-heavy and I don't rule out a more coherent Boreham Wood's chances.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Worcester City/West Brom is another interesting friendly tonight. Bet365 have gone 5/2 about the Conference North side, which would be a terrible price if this were the WBA first team, but is more than enough tonight (though not as good as 10Bet, where I can't get on these days). This looks a competitive City side - the best for a many seasons, perhaps. There are some triallists on show but the key element is that the WBA side is very much an XI with 25 squad players already on the way to a pre-season tour of Scandinavia. The most senior figure in the West Brom side is Sam Mantom, who has a handful of league appearances on loan. They'll be decent, no doubt, but Worcester City have a real chance at this price. I've had a small piece of the HT/FT at 11/2, though that is a pretty punchy play even if this is a friendly.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams A bit close to the 7.30 ko but Bet365 are going 9/1 on Cirencester Town at home to Forest Green Rovers. Not one for widows and orphans but it looks like a shadowy FGR side out tonight, with their press officer hailing it their youngest ever. I can't verify that but the major bodies are being rested for the main event at home to Wycombe tomorrow.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Kilmarnock are heading down the motorway tomorrow to play a friendly at Wrexham, who are on offer at 2/1. Although there will be the usual mass subs from both sides, Killie certainly haven't had a decent pre-season so far (lost 4-1 at Morton last night) and their chairman and manager are already concerned about their future finances with complaints about being unable to sign players :the manager couldn't afford to re-sign his son and the rumour is that there recent look at Reeves of Altrincham was always destined to come to naught as they couldn't afford him! 2/1 is not a great price on us but is over my mark in the light of that and i will have a small play.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Woking beat Crawley 1-0 thanks to a 7th minute goal. Obviously nothing to get excited about as I'm yet to read the match report and see the teams but in relevant thread I thought that Woking could be value in their opening game at Wrexham and I also predict Crawley to struggle in L1. ;)

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams I have seen Woking's team and it was pretty strong, but not seen the Crawley team. Very dangerous though to use pre-season games when it comes to making choices about the league themselves. I dont think they have much impact at all.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Of course, you're right about pre-season results, you can't read too much from them. That's why I will read match reports and after match interviews to try to build a picture of what happened. Thankfully, Evans isn't Crawley manager any longer because we would get the typical: "We should have had 10 penalties and we dominated the game throughout the 90 minutes" crap. ;)

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Very pleasing night, even though Boreham Wood failed against Watford. Worcester City saw off the WBA XI - 5/2 on the match landed as did the 11/2 HT/FT. Given that I posted Ciren so late I'm not claiming it, but they were indeed 11/1 in play after about ten mins, and also 11/1 in the 2nd half straight after FGR's kids equalised. There won't be many nights in a gambling career when you can say Cirencester Town in July are responsible for a very warm feeling inside.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams

Very pleasing night' date=' even though Boreham Wood failed against Watford. Worcester City saw off the WBA XI - 5/2 on the match landed as did the 11/2 HT/FT. Given that I posted Ciren so late I'm not claiming it, but they were indeed 11/1 in play after about ten mins, and also 11/1 in the 2nd half straight after FGR's kids equalised. There won't be many nights in a gambling career when you can say Cirencester Town in July are responsible for a very warm feeling inside.[/quote'] Super work Ships :clap The stats I saw on the Cirencester game showed they had the better of it - great call.

Kilmarnock are heading down the motorway tomorrow to play a friendly at Wrexham, who are on offer at 2/1. Although there will be the usual mass subs from both sides, Killie certainly haven't had a decent pre-season so far (lost 4-1 at Morton last night) and their chairman and manager are already concerned about their future finances with complaints about being unable to sign players :the manager couldn't afford to re-sign his son and the rumour is that there recent look at Reeves of Altrincham was always destined to come to naught as they couldn't afford him! 2/1 is not a great price on us but is over my mark in the light of that and i will have a small play.
Not often I get to blow my own trumpet but we won 3-1.

Kilmarnock are heading down the motorway tomorrow to play a friendly at Wrexham, who are on offer at 2/1. Although there will be the usual mass subs from both sides, Killie certainly haven't had a decent pre-season so far (lost 4-1 at Morton last night) and their chairman and manager are already concerned about their future finances with complaints about being unable to sign players :the manager couldn't afford to re-sign his son and the rumour is that there recent look at Reeves of Altrincham was always destined to come to naught as they couldn't afford him! 2/1 is not a great price on us but is over my mark in the light of that and i will have a small play.
Excellent shout, BB. Sounds like a good show tonight. I didn't get 2/1 but I had enough of a nibble to cap a very pleasing few day's work.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Monday 23rd July 2012 Two friendlies tonight involving non-league teams that I noticed --> Staines v Warta Poznan Staines = Conference South Warta = Polish First League (2nd tier) Staines lost 2-1 to League 2 side Wycombe Wanderers in their last pre-season friendly Warta drew 0-0 with League 2 side Aldershot on Friday Best current odds: Staines 4.33 Draw 3.75 Warta 2.01 St Albans v Luton St Albans = Southern League Premier Luton = Conference St Albans lost 10-2 to League 2 Barnet Luton beat Dunstable 7-1 and Hitchin 1-0 Best current odds: St Albans 8.25 Draw 6.0 Luton 1.3 I've got no real knowledge of any of these teams, but I know that it's a bit easier to get an edge in non-league games. Anyone with non-league knowledge got any opinions on these games?

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams The danger with the Staines game is I obviously know nothing about Warta so it makes it hard to have a bet on. Kev might be able to help with the Luton team news but if its pretty strong its hard to see them not beating St Albans.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Warta Poznan is my hometown side but as I support Lech Poznan and have lived in the UK for the last 7 years I haven't seen Warta live since the last derby we had back in 1995. ;) If it helps my mate went to Aldershot - Warta match and described it as a dull affair. It's a no bet for me. If Luton field a strong side then 1.3 may look value?

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Cambridge City are a touch too high at 13/8 at home to King's Lynn Town (tomorrow night with Bet365). Lynn are Step 4 these days, and are clearly a developing force with good prospects this season, but I'm surprised they're rated at 13/10. Cambridge City look no less strong than last season, with the key players signed on, and with the addition of Jordan Patrick who has finally signed, they are among the best squads in the section. Even given the daft things that happen in friendlies I can't make King's Lynn favourites.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Sorry chaps, not been around today until now. We only had a mix and match squad out anyway so I wouldn't have recommended a bet even though we ended up winning 2-0. An early warning if there's anything doing odds wise on Thursday night, we play Wycombe at home on Wednesday night which is our first home friendly and ergo a first chance to see the new signings. I would very much imagine our squad at Kempston on the Thursday will be very young kids because our under 18's are not long back from a European tournament in Switzerland I think it was. So could be value in opposing us if any odds are produced particularly as we are also at home to Ipswich on Saturday :ok.

Re: Friendlies involving non-league teams Tuesday 24th July Hewsall FC v Tranmere Best odds: Hewsall 5.0 Draw 4.0 Tranmere 1.5 Tranmere played away at Cammell Laird tonight (Monday). I think it was their first team at Cammell Laird, which means there will probably be quite a few youth players tomorrow at Hewsall. http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~2857706,00.html Apparently 'a young Rovers side' drew 0-0 at Hewall last summer. Possible value opposing Tranmere?

Tuesday 24th July Hewsall FC v Tranmere Best odds: Hewsall 5.0 Draw 4.0 Tranmere 1.5 Tranmere played away at Cammell Laird tonight (Monday). I think it was their first team at Cammell Laird, which means there will probably be quite a few youth players tomorrow at Hewsall. http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~2857706,00.html Apparently 'a young Rovers side' drew 0-0 at Hewall last summer. Possible value opposing Tranmere?
Good spot, MPLouis. There is some potential here, but it will depend on who is travelling. Hewsall are weaker than Cammell Laird and because of that the price is on the defensive side. Also Tranmere did play two different sides last night, so they it's perfectly possible that there may be a strongish squad travelling, though it's also perfectly possible that they will take a very young side with some triallists. KO is seven so there should be some teams listed on twitter by 6.30 if there is no earlier news on the official site during the day. If Tranmere are travelling light, then even 5.0 will be value; but if they are there with a strongish squad 1.5 might be a decent play as they saw off Laird quite easily last night.