** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Antepost > Championship > 2012-13

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Middlesbrough and Blackburn interest me at the moment as they are a bit too big in my opinion. Not getting involved yet, though. Boro have a manager who has been promoted from this division before and that is a massive bonus. The team are starting to play how he likes his sides to go about things and only really lack a bit of creativity if Leadbitter can fill the big hole Barry Robson left. Bates isn't a big loss in my opinion and Hoyte won't be either if he doesn't sign a new deal. If they tie down McMahon and get Parnaby back in the defence looks pretty decent. Personally, I hope we get rid of Emnes and I wouldn't think twice about saying yes to a bid of 2 million or above. He is technically poor, doesn't work for the side as much as he used to and overall is probably the worst striker i've seen for us in terms of getting more goals than his ability deserves. Get someone in to create the chances and they look a good side. Blackburn signing Danny Murphy made me sit up and take a look at them. They haven't lost a massive amount of players and have a squad full of players who will stand out in this league but will struggle (like last season showed) if promoted. The only thing putting me off is the relationship between the owners, manager and fans. If they don't get off to a good start they will struggle to stop the protests and chanting that we all watched and listened to last season.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Nottingham Forest were continually underpriced throughout the last season, despite bringing new meaning to the term "totally ****". So I'm looking at the Championship odds and wondering how a **** team with a **** manager and massive debts to pay back to the dead ex-owner at the end of next season can possibly be as short a price. Seems like this is the answer. [h=1]Nottingham Forest stay silent on Kuwaiti takeover rumours[/h] Nottingham Forest have refused to comment on growing speculation that they are on the verge of being taken over by a Kuwaiti millionaire. A report in the Kuwait Times claims businessman Fawaz Al-Hasawi is close to a deal for Forest or Leeds United. Al-Hasawi resigned as chairman of Al-Qadsiya Sports Club this week. Forest have been for sale since October 2011 when Nigel Doughty resigned as chairman but his death in February has made the sale more complicated. A statement on the Forest website said the matter was being driven by Doughty's estate and investment bankers Seymour Pierce and the club were "unable to respond to media speculation". Before anyone lumps their money on them. they may like to reflect that similar stories abounded about teams like Leicester City and Notts County in recent years and they are in the same divisions now as they were then.

In fairness to notts county they won promotion to league one off the back of their supposed takeover, which turned out to be slightly fraudulent.... It could happen at forest, who knows, it's purely a case of whether or not thy can make the right signings. Football is a very simple game and therefor obviously signings are key. Leicester haven't bought well and struggled for consistency....

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 I was looking at Leeds to be promoted as they haven't been in the top flight for some time and they now have a manager who know how to win promotion. Besides they seem to be improving every year and I actually recall hearing on Team Talk podcast a few months ago that some financial liabilities meant that promotion to the PL before this season would not be worthwhile for them although it wasn't very clearly explained. Warnock seems to have some trouble with Bates over funding for new players so I will probably wait to see who takes over at Elland Road before making any decisions.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Certainly think Huddersfield are worth a mention at their price. Grayson has bought well so far investing wisely in the likes of Oliver Norwood - who stood out at this level for Coventry last season - Sean Scannell from Crystal Palace who can be useful and also the signing of Dundee United full back Paul Dixon. Obviously the main task is to keep Jordan Rhodes and if they do I feel they have a strong solid spine of a team in Bennett/Smithies, Peter Clarke, Oliver Norwood and Jordan Rhodes. They have a very ambitious chairman who is a fan of the club and he is willing to pump money into signings also.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13

Blackburn signing Danny Murphy made me sit up and take a look at them. They haven't lost a massive amount of players and have a squad full of players who will stand out in this league but will struggle (like last season showed) if promoted. The only thing putting me off is the relationship between the owners' date=' manager and fans. If they don't get off to a good start they will struggle to stop the protests and chanting that we all watched and listened to last season.[/quote'] Well, it looks like Venky's are pushing the boat out and aiming for an immediate return to the Premier League. £3m spent on Leon Best yesterday, Nuno Gomes joining on a free today (although at 36, I'm far from convinced he'll cut in the Championship), and rumours of a couple more signings in the pipeline. I agree that if they can keep the majority of their squad together, then they are more than capable of challenging. The fly in the ointment is Kean of course. I just can't see the fans getting behind him and if they don't get off to a flyer, then I think the atmosphere will turn poisonous pretty quickly. I notice he's added Colin Hendry to his coaching staff as well, presumably hoping that the sight of a club legend in the dugout alongside him might go some way towards smoothing things over. If things go well from the start, then automatic promotion shouldn't be beyond them, but at around the 9/2 mark they look a bit short to me. Kean's appalling win percentage as a manager just puts me off. Zola at Watford is another interesting one. The takeover by the Pozzo family looks like good news for the club for once. They already own Udinese and La Liga side Granada, and have a reputation as being proper football people. Granada were in the Spanish 3rd division when they took over in 2009 and achieved back-to-back promotions thanks to a mixture of loanees and "investment signings" sent their way from Udinese. They also cleared the club's debts and invested in the youth structure. All of this suggests that they'll be good for Watford, and I'd expect some Italian and Spanish loanees through the door in the next few months, but the choice of manager concerns me a little. I can't say I'm convinced Zola is cut out for the Championship and I could see a mid-season change there if things aren't going well. I hope I'm wrong, as he's a Chelsea legend and one of the nicest people in football to boot, but I fear for him a bit at this level. Could be that Watford will be the team to back in a year's time and I can't see much mileage in their promotion price either.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 I'm keeping an eye on Brighton's signings this summer and I'm tempted by the 17/1 available on them with Coral. They've got a good, young, ambitious manager in Poyet and I think he's doing a good job there. They started off really well last season but hit a couple of really bad patches and had a bit of bad luck with injuries. With a few shrewd additions, I think they could really challenge this season. So far they've signed Kucsczack in goal from Man Utd who looks to be a very good addition and Bruno Saltor at right back from Valencia. I watched him play against Stoke in the Europa last season and thought he was one of the best players on the park! Can't believe he has gone to a championship club and he should be an excellent addition for Brighton. I don't think there are too many championship managers who would have made a signing like that. So there defence is shaping up nicely. If they can add a decent midfielder and striker along to the likes of Buckley and Mackail Smith, I think they will be looking like a very solid team. Of the relegated sides, I don't particularly see any of them as being as strong as West ham were last season. I definitely don't see any value on Blackburn at present. Danny murphy is a good addition but I don't trust the venky's and can see a lot of players going. They've already lost top scorer yakubu and the likes of nzonzi, Olson, Robinson will no doubt follow. Wolves look set to lose the likes of fletcher, Jarvis and knightly and they have a lot of mediocre players in their current squad. They've signed frank nouble which is hardly a statement of intent. Kevin Davies could be a handful for Bolton and they have some players who could stay like Stuart Holden, Chung young lee, Chris eagles and marvin sordell who could all be very good in the championship. They probably look the pick of the relegated teams but it depends on the outgoings pre season. Will keep a close eye on them.

I'm keeping an eye on Brighton's signings this summer and I'm tempted by the 17/1 available on them with Coral. They've got a good, young, ambitious manager in Poyet and I think he's doing a good job there. They started off really well last season but hit a couple of really bad patches and had a bit of bad luck with injuries. With a few shrewd additions, I think they could really challenge this season. So far they've signed Kucsczack in goal from Man Utd who looks to be a very good addition and Bruno Saltor at right back from Valencia. I watched him play against Stoke in the Europa last season and thought he was one of the best players on the park! Can't believe he has gone to a championship club and he should be an excellent addition for Brighton. I don't think there are too many championship managers who would have made a signing like that. So there defence is shaping up nicely. If they can add a decent midfielder and striker along to the likes of Buckley and Mackail Smith, I think they will be looking like a very solid team. Of the relegated sides, I don't particularly see any of them as being as strong as West ham were last season. I definitely don't see any value on Blackburn at present. Danny murphy is a good addition but I don't trust the venky's and can see a lot of players going. They've already lost top scorer yakubu and the likes of nzonzi, Olson, Robinson will no doubt follow. Wolves look set to lose the likes of fletcher, Jarvis and knightly and they have a lot of mediocre players in their current squad. They've signed frank nouble which is hardly a statement of intent. Kevin Davies could be a handful for Bolton and they have some players who could stay like Stuart Holden, Chung young lee, Chris eagles and marvin sordell who could all be very good in the championship. They probably look the pick of the relegated teams but it depends on the outgoings pre season. Will keep a close eye on them.
If Brighton get a decent striker they would be of serious interest, Mackail Smith is nothing but a work horse and has proven this season he cant cut it at this level. As you said Bruno Saltor looks a quality signing on paper, and Vicente has extended his contract for another year. If they can get Vicente on the pitch more often this season that would be a massive boost cos he looked head and shoulders above everyone else a lot of the time last season.

Certainly think Huddersfield are worth a mention at their price. Grayson has bought well so far investing wisely in the likes of Oliver Norwood - who stood out at this level for Coventry last season - Sean Scannell from Crystal Palace who can be useful and also the signing of Dundee United full back Paul Dixon. Obviously the main task is to keep Jordan Rhodes and if they do I feel they have a strong solid spine of a team in Bennett/Smithies, Peter Clarke, Oliver Norwood and Jordan Rhodes. They have a very ambitious chairman who is a fan of the club and he is willing to pump money into signings also.
I love you AHughes but I think it'll be a bridge too far to expect back to back promotions considering we struggled to win promotion from League 1. The squad needs a bit of a overhaul but as you point out the signings we have made so far are encouraging and I'm quite confident we'll have a top season and a top 10 finish is definitely well within our grasp. Our prices are good value and I may chance a crafty tenner on us, more in hope than expectation. As for the rest of the league,Brighton interest me greatly this time they had a decent season last season and fell a little short last time but Poyet is a top manager and will no doubt be looking to push on and at least secure a play off place this season.Best priced at 18/1 at Coral,Bluesquare and 888. It pains me big time to say but I like the look of Leeds especially with Warnock in charge and a big money take over pending.Warnock knows his way round winning promotion and I don't see why it won't be any different this time either. He does have a decent squad at his disposal already with a few more quality additions,which will no doubt come with the investment by the new owners, they should be real serious contenders for a return back to the Premier League. Best priced 12/1 at Tote,BetFred,Victor Chandler and 188bet. Bolton 8/1 and Blackburn 12/1 look good to make a instant return after suffering relegation. Blackburn have made a one or two good signings but a lot depends on Kean.If they get off to a bad start expect the lynch mob to be making its way through the cobbled terraces of East Lancashire with burning torches looking to lynch the unfortunate Kean. The poultry magnates, the Venky brothers, may have there hand forced by restless natives should things not go Rovers way early doors from the off. Kean would be a good bet for the first Championship manager to get the chop market!!! Middlesbrough could be dark horses and probably will be selecting them in my patent, too many draws cost them last season but Mowbray will be be looking for a big improvement this time.Best price 22/1 Bet365 and Corals.

Started looking at this yesterday and think I rounded the championship down to one of about 16 teams :lol Gonna be another tight to call season :clap I'll put a detailed post on Cardiff closer to the time as there loads going on both on and off the field. I looked at Huddersfield too at such a big opening price. Whilst they may not have won as many as they perhaps should have done, they rarely lost either. In league one, they were one of the big boys and a number of teams played them not-to-lose. The championship is a different league. Huddersfield are no longer the big boys and this may be to their advantage. Whilst the top clubs fight amongst themselves to go up, teams like Swansea, Norwich and southampton have found they have been able to waltz through almost unwatched. This looks like it's gonna be a bettors nightmare league again with coin tossing being as successful as hard work studying teams. There are better teams than Huddersfield but it's looking a very open league and their price ATM represents value IMO.

As with most seasons you could probably make a case here for 12 or so sides. Wouldn't personally touch Blackburn. They clearly have the best resources and are still a pretty strong side, but there are question marks over Steve keen, and should they not start strongly, the fans will be on his back instantly. Was looking at hull myself who seem a tad long considering I wouldn't have thought they'd be mid table. I fancy Steve Bruce, with a few shrewd signings to get them at least near the playoffs. They for one definitely need a goalscorer.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Brooke - just as I posted above I agree with you about Leeds. I've been looking through Leeds local paper online recently and it sounds as if Warnock was in touch with some heavyweight and prospective players from the division. They are just waiting for the takeover to be confirmed. I will wait too to see who the new oewners are and what are their plans. I don't think that Warnock would be wasting his time though and this is the man who likes to win promotion.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Wouldn't be rushing to back Leeds just yet. There's still been no announcement regarding the rumoured takeover (the club still refer to it as "investment" rather than a full takeover, though that might just be a smokescreen) and precious little transfer activity. I'd imagine Warnock must have been promised funds by Ken Bates when he took the job, so if money isn't forthcoming for whatever reason, then it's not inconceivable he could just walk away. Leeds have lost Adam Clayton - one of their most consistent performers last season - to Huddersfield and there are rumours that Aston Villa are bidding for club captain Robert Snodgrass. Snodgrass has already publicly criticised Bates' lack of spending and it's hard to see him turning down a move to the Premier League if it looks like Leeds could struggle again. For me, everything rests on the takeover and how quickly it goes through (if it does at all). With sufficient funds and time, there's no doubt Warnock has the nous to put together a team more than capable of challenging for promotion, but if this saga is still dragging on in a few weeks time, then Leeds could easily end up looking forward to a relegation battle.

Wouldn't be rushing to back Leeds just yet. There's still been no announcement regarding the rumoured takeover (the club still refer to it as "investment" rather than a full takeover, though that might just be a smokescreen) and precious little transfer activity. I'd imagine Warnock must have been promised funds by Ken Bates when he took the job, so if money isn't forthcoming for whatever reason, then it's not inconceivable he could just walk away. Leeds have lost Adam Clayton - one of their most consistent performers last season - to Huddersfield and there are rumours that Aston Villa are bidding for club captain Robert Snodgrass. Snodgrass has already publicly criticised Bates' lack of spending and it's hard to see him turning down a move to the Premier League if it looks like Leeds could struggle again. For me, everything rests on the takeover and how quickly it goes through (if it does at all). With sufficient funds and time, there's no doubt Warnock has the nous to put together a team more than capable of challenging for promotion, but if this saga is still dragging on in a few weeks time, then Leeds could easily end up looking forward to a relegation battle.
Should also be noted there are some very strong rumours circulating that Ross McCormack is on his way out, possibly to Palace. Given the fact Clayton has gone and Snodgrass is pretty disenfranchised, things aren't looking great for Leeds offensively at the momment. Combine this with that fact that their back line is average at best, I think Tom Lees has some potential but generally they look vunerable in that department. Essentially Warnock has a massive amount of work on his hands if his team are going to be anywhere near the playoffs, let alone automatic. The Grayson legacy is one of shoddy defensive foundations and this needs to be improved significantly imho. Don't get me wrong, Warnock is an excellent manager at this level but there are a lot of unresolved issues with the Leeds squad as it stands right now. They really are the definition of a team in transition (that rhymes) and there are so many teams in this division better equipped for a promotion challenge than them as things stand.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 That's the thing though,Neil Warnock does not need big money to assemble a promotion winning team. This guy is renowned for making a "silk purse out of a sows ear" and I really would not rule them out at all. Remember its a long season and just look at Reading last season mid table in the new year but by May, Champions and back in the Premier League. You don't need to be near the top from the off to win promotion,its a marathon not a sprint. By the way I aren't a Leeds fan, in fact I hate them, but Warnock is a top manager,I really would not rule them out with him in charge.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Yeh Warnock's great, I've already said that but it doesn't address the issue of their squad and in particular their manky defence. Warnock has won promotion from this league twice, once with Sheffield Utd and once with QPR but on both occasions those teams did not have the personnel issues that Leeds have at present. I watched Leeds quite a lot in the latter stages of last season while Warnock was in charge and that team has a number of serious issues that have to be addressed before progress is made. The only foreseeable alchemy Warnock can acheive at present is turning Ken Bates Sugar Puffs into Shreddies.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Agree with Western Skies and Das Phantom about Leeds. I wouldn't touch them at the moment and especially at their current price. Last season they regularly seemed to be priced up too low. Despite talks of a takeover, this pricing strategy seems to have carried on into the ante post market. Leicester also look way too short here aswell IMHO.

Yeh Warnock's great' date=' I've already said that but it doesn't address the issue of their squad and in particular their manky defence. Warnock has won promotion from this league twice, once with Sheffield Utd and once with QPR but on both occasions those teams did not have the personnel issues that Leeds have at present. I watched Leeds quite a lot in the latter stages of last season while Warnock was in charge and that team has a number of serious issues that have to be addressed before progress is made. The only foreseeable alchemy Warnock can acheive at present is turning Ken Bates Sugar Puffs into Shreddies.[/quote']Just for the record, Warnock also took Notts County to top flight in the beginning of the 90s. As one who started the Leeds debate I probably didn't make it clear enough that i won't touch them before the takeover is complete. Regarding the squad, reading local papers it sounds as if some players are lined up and they're just waiting for funding from takeover/investment. Remember Wycombe 'signed' 5 players within 24 hours of thei takeover last week. To me it just seems that Leeds tick all the boxes: big club, plenty of PL hungry fans, experienced manager, big money coming in to fund players. 5.5 for promotion seems good price providing the takeover is confirmed.

Just for the record' date=' Warnock also took Notts County to top flight in the beginning of the 90s.[/quote'] Er... yeh I knew that, just testing other peoples knowledge with a factual bannana skin, you passed the test, good work. (That should do it cough cough)

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 From Team Talk: Leeds have finally agree a deal with QPR for Paddy Kenny and are set to hold talks with the goalkeeper over a three-year contract. Leeds have been trailing Kenny all summer and have been locked in talks with Rangers about a possible move for some weeks now. QPR are willing to let Kenny move on having brought in England international Robert Green on a free transfer last month. Leeds have now come to an agreement with QPR for Kenny and they have been given the green light to hold talks with the former Sheffield United man. Kenny, who is expected to undergo a medical at Elland Road on Wednesday, is set to sign a three-year deal at Leeds as he links up with Warnock for a fourth time in his career. The 34-year-old will become Leeds' fourth signing of the summer following the arrivals of Jason Pearce, Adam Drury and Paul Green when he puts the finishing touches to his move. Portsmouth striker Luke Varney has revealed he is prepared to snub interest from other Championship clubs in order to join Leeds. Leeds are among a number of clubs thought to have the 29-year-old on their radar, with promoted Sheffield Wednesday also reported to be interested. But Varney has his sights set on a move to Elland Road where he is keen to work under manager Neil Warnock. He told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "The other clubs that have been mentioned are still Championship clubs. But they are not clubs of the size of Leeds. "Neil's got a great record in the Championship and it's something I want to be a part of. "With coming to Leeds, I can also still get home to see my little child in Leicester and it would be perfect. I'm looking forward to a move to Leeds." Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton confirmed last week that Varney is in talks with the Whites over a move. Varney only joined Pompey from Derby last summer and has two years remaining on his deal at Fratton Park, but the cash-strapped club are keen to offload players as they prepare for life in League One following relegation.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Cardiff has money to spent after the new owner arrived. They signed Mutch from Birmingham and now, they also signed striker Velinkoja from Slovenian side Maribor. They are lookin to spent more on players including South Korean midfielder Bo-Kyung Kim from Cerezo Osaka. Star player Whittingham said that he will stay with the club despite rumours that he wanted to leave. I think Cardiff is definitiley worth a punt: Cardiff to win Championship @13 2/10 betfred GL:ok

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Steve Coteril has been sacked by Nottingham Forest new owners today. Yes, you've guessed it the Kuwait family have money to spend and serious plans regarding Forest. Rednkapp said he's not interested in the job and so far Darren Ferguson is the bookies' favourite to take over. With Leeds' takeover imminent is this season going to turn into which foreign owners will spend more?

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 I've red that Cardiff's owner is planing to invest 100 Mio in this club and furthermore he wants to establish Cardiff in the Premier League. So I assume they will go on and sign a few players. Leeds had to sell Clayton to Huddersfield to free funds to buy Paddy Kenny. Nottingham has lost two important players: defender and captain Chambers who went to Ipswich and McCleary who went to Reading. Yesterday, it was confirmed that defender Lynch has signed for Huddersfield. Another team that was sold/bought is Watford. An Italian business man bought the Hornets and he immediately took Zola in charge. He is the owner of spanish club Granada and italian club Udinese. One player of those both clubs will go out on loan to Watford ( both are Czech Republic players). But I still see Cardiff as the strongest of those teams. They had the best squad of them last season (of those teams I've mentioned above) and have added further quality players and will do in the next couple of weeks.

I agree that Cardiff have some money to spend but read beyond the headlines and you'll see what 100m means. That figure being reported already includes 40-50m that has ALREADY been spent. It also includes improving the training facilities, the ground and paying off fat sam. That doesn't leave a significant figure, particularly in comparison to other clubs around us. I'll put my thoughts up closer to the big kick off but there are major changes ongoing throughout the club. We should be on people's shortlist but I still think the "shortlist" includes half the league at least ATM! I expect us to challenge for promotion but there's a lot to sort out in coming weeks for many clubs...

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Alliando are you a Cardiff fan? Among all this talk of big spending - Forest, Cardiff, Leeds, Watford - i now start wondering if there is value backing Huddersfield. They seem to strengthen their weakest position from last year - the defence- and if Jordan Rhodes settles well in the Championship then who knows. After all it wasn't uncommon for newly promoted side to straight up again.

I am a Cardiff fan and try to remove the emotion from my analysis ( easier said than done). We are aiming for promotion but so are many around us. We have positives including an owner who is willing to invest - not stupid money but there is money there. We have a good team and a good manager. Last season we did not have any strength in depth - this year, hopefully, that will improve. Today we've signed a Slovenian striker and we've been linked to a south Korean. But there is discontent amongst a large group of fans over the boards decision to change our historic blue shirts to red. Also, former chairman sam hammam has resurfaced because of our debts and there is something dodgy there IMO. There's a long time before the start of the season and I expect some more drama but, bottom dollar, were aiming for promotion...

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 Any Sheffield Wednesday fans give me a view on their teams chances this season? I have a sneaky feeling for the Owls this season to do well under Dave Jones' guidance and maybe a few shrewd signings in the transfer market could sway me towards them

Jones knows the league well and will (more than likely) utilise the loan Market effectively. I had Sheffield Wednesday e/w last season and found they lacked out and out goalscorers as a problem. May be different this season, particularly if he can get some in on loan. I'd expect them to be effective defensively, difficult to beat but top 10 finish, at best. Will be interesting to get some owls' views.

Re: Antepost > Championship > 2012-13 I wouldn't include Watford in the 'big money to spend' sides as yet. If my read is correct, the Pozzo's like to build slowly (albeit with their man at the helm) so Zola will not have a ridiculous war chest to go and buy washed up ex-internationals. Instead, we will get a few (3 or 4) loanees fron Udinese and Granada (the Pozzo's other clubs) and maybe a few quid to improve the side. As a supporter, i truly hope they do go this way, which means we will not be great value in the short term but perhaps after Xmas, we could put a spurt in for the playoffs as the squad begins to bond.