** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Nadal Discussion

Although what i am about to say has nothing to do with what you posted here, i am here to recall our chat during the recent french open. Turns out

'Nadal's trade won't work on other surfaces?' was spot on afterall. I know, Nadal has played 5 finals here in SW19. But you what the cliche is? "You are only so good as your previous match". Nadal was LUCKY he even won the first set. It is a pity Rosol didnt beat him in three sorry sets.

You're basing this on one match and not the big picture. Nadal has still made 5 finals, winning it twice so there's still literally no argument for you to say his 'trade doesn't work on other surfaces.' You don't beat Murray 3 times out of 3 and Federer if your game isn't effective on the grass. Andy Murray has lost to Donald Young in the past. Does that mean Murray isn't effective on the hard courts? One match doesn't mean anything :eyes

Re: Wimbledon 2012

You're basing this on one match and not the big picture. Nadal has still made 5 finals' date=' winning it twice so there's still literally no argument for you to say his 'trade doesn't work on other surfaces.' You don't beat Murray 3 times out of 3 and Federer if your game isn't effective on the grass. Andy Murray has lost to Donald Young in the past. Does that mean Murray isn't effective on the hard courts? One match doesn't mean anything :eyes[/quote'] That's true i'll give you that but i also recall him losing in recent times to the likes of Ivan Dodig (who had his breakthrough year last year, before that hardly anyone knew him), Floryan Mayer, Kohlschreiber, now Rosol. Rafa may be the king on clay but i don't see him winning any more masters or GS on other surfaces. Just my own thoughts though i don't expect people to agree with me :loon

You're basing this on one match and not the big picture. Nadal has still made 5 finals' date=' winning it twice so there's still literally no argument for you to say his 'trade doesn't work on other surfaces.' You don't beat Murray 3 times out of 3 and Federer if your game isn't effective on the grass. Andy Murray has lost to Donald Young in the past. Does that mean Murray isn't effective on the hard courts? One match doesn't mean anything :eyes[/quote'] I will tell you what the big picture is. It will open right up when he becomes number 3 and end up in the same half of the draw as federer or djokovic. So far he has had draws where he had constantly played murray in the semis. We have a very small sample space for rafa being in nole s or federer s half in faster courts also known as wimbledon and USOpen. Nadal will anyday beat federer on oz open and French. I think federer will beat him on grass/usopen over five sets as will nole. See I could be wrong. But always ending up with murray is like a relatively easy ticket to the finals which ensures Rafa gets or retains points even on faster surfaces. It is a matter of time as to when Rafa will slide down. Clay season his rafa s bread and butter. His chances of winning slams elsewhere greatly depends on which half he ends up and who he gets paired with. I would love to see him play nole or federer at Flushing Meadows. You have a point when you say I am inferring too much from just this one match. Without taking anything away from neither Rosol nor nadal, I would like to say the Czech pulled a blinder, much like what Italy did to the Germans in the Euro Semis. Only this was much much better and completely unexpected. Although Rafa won french and reached many slam finals on a far consistent basis, my assumption is that he and federer will trade places now. I am saying Federer is a better no 2 than nadal. I think that is how it will pan out from now on. We ll see. I could be completely wrong. Nadal is certainly a great champion. cheers.

Re: Wimbledon 2012 I can't be bothered to have this Nadal debate again as it irritates me in truth but I'll have my last word on it and let that be it. For one, you are acting like the AO surface is about 10 times slower than the courts in the US. They are slower but not massively and the slice shot that most good grass players use is still just as effective over in Australia. Nadal has made the last 2 finals in the US Open and the last 5 he's played at Wimbledon and regardless of who you play, to say his game isn't effective on the two surfaces is a complete joke. Nadal has shown it is through that and despite playing Murray a fair few times, if you have very little game on grass you don't beat Murray that many times. He's beaten Federer on grass as well which you seem to forget and he has beaten Federer comfortably on the hard courts in the US as well. I'd give you pretty big odds on Federer beating Nadal in any slam again. Rafa mentally owns him and he will win other slams other than the French. :eyes

Although what i am about to say has nothing to do with what you posted here, i am here to recall our chat during the recent french open. Turns out

'Nadal's trade won't work on other surfaces?' was spot on afterall. I know, Nadal has played 5 finals here in SW19. But you what the cliche is? "You are only so good as your previous match". Nadal was LUCKY he even won the first set. It is a pity Rosol didnt beat him in three sorry sets.

Fortunately enough I followed that french open chat that you had with Fishy and still believe that Nadal's loss today does in no way validate or upgrade the point you were trying to prove then. Are you now saying because Nadal lost to a better guy on the day that his trade does not work on grass?? Or is lifting a trophy the acid test for viability of trade? Nadal belongs to a club of an elite few who have won slams on all 4 surfces. The great Pete Sampras did not even achieve that. Even if Rosol had won 3-0, it still would have made no difference to the credibility of your point. The fact is sometimes matches of 3-0 can be much more competitive than say 3-2.

Re: Nadal Discussion The underlining point is that Rafa has made 5 finals at Wimbledon so to say his game isn't effective is a joke. If you honestly believe that, just have a quick look at the classic final between Nadal and Federer in 2008.

Re: Nadal Discussion I am a massive Nadal fan, but I do not think he could have win the Wimbledon even if he would have passed by Rosol last night. He simply is in a bad form and needs a rest. There is no problem he lost last night in the end, no drama, he can rest and made a perfect rest of the season. But he needs to be much more aggressive than he was on grass this season. Otherwise will be losing again!