** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England vs West Indies - Test Series

kevshat

England begin an important international summer by hosting the West Indies in a best of three test match series before the big series with South Africa later in the summer. West Indies showed against Australia recently that they are becoming more competitive so there should be some decent cricket on show. As always all three matches are live on Sky in the UK and with all the usual markets up there should be some decent bets to be had. Schedule: [TABLE=width: 630]

[TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%]Thu May 17 - Mon May 21 10:00 GMT | 11:00 local 11:00 BST [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 1st Test - England v West Indies Lord's, London [/TD] [TD=width: 20%] 26.png 3 - 13° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gif [/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Fri May 25 - Tue May 29 10:00 GMT | 11:00 local 11:00 BST [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 2nd Test - England v West Indies Trent Bridge, Nottingham [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOtr] [TD=width: 25%] Sat Jun 2 - Sun Jun 3 10:00 GMT | 11:00 local 11:00 BST [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] Leicestershire v West Indians Grace Road, Leicester [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Thu Jun 7 - Mon Jun 11 10:00 GMT | 11:00 local 11:00 BST [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 3rd Test - England v West Indies Edgbaston, Birmingham [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series Really looking forward to this series starting our international summer and can't see anything other than a 3-0 win. May get involved over the next few days, good luck to everyone who has a bet!

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series Just the one outright for me in this series. 3pts J.Trott Top England Series Batsman 10/3 Paddy Power This is a pretty competitive market these days but you have to think that with the expected dominance England will show in this series that the top scorer will come from someone in the top 5 which will probably become the top four. I'm not one of these who will immediate write off Andrew Strauss' test career but I'd like to see him score some runs before I back him and even then it would probably only be in a match rather than over a series where other men are in better form. Alastair Cook always has to come into play whenever you think about a top series batsman market for England because he is an absolute run machine but he didn't go too well in the county matches he played for Essex so this could be a rare time to take him on. That leaves Trott and KP in my thinking and by virtue of the fact Trott bats above KP in England's batting line up I will just about side with the Warwickshire man. Trott plays one match on his home ground in this series with Edgbaston being the final match of the series and he begins it on a ground where he has an exceptional record in Lords. He averages a pretty ridiculous 99.66 at Lords so with two of the grounds being good grounds for him in a three test series and at 10/3 given that he bats above who I foresee as his main danger I like Trott here. Trott has already filled his boots for Warwickshire this summer and he's just as much of a run machine as Cook is so it's Trott for me in this opening series of the summer.

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series And four for the first test. 4pts S.Broad's Performance Pts - 121&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Stuart Broad could be England's best bowler on this wicket because I expect it to be a lot slower than what we are used to seeing at Lords. With all the rain which has been around London in the last couple of weeks preparing a hard, bouncy wicket will have been nigh on impossible so I expect a wicket with a bit of moisture in it so seaming it around will be important and that is Stuart Broad's forte. Not only that but he has those cutters of his which could just stick in the wicket if it is a bit tacky so I expect Broad to go well with the ball. Even if he doesn't cover this line with the ball we have his batting talent and even if he only bats once either 1 run or 21 runs would be more than possible which would mean we only need him to take five or six wickets. I think something will go badly wrong if West Indies aren't batting twice in this match and with the conditions suiting Broad's style of bowling I would expect him to go well in this opening test match. He was excellent in the winter and can pick up where he left off in this first test match. 4pts J.Bairstow to beat N.Deonarine (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Stan James More than happy to take England's debutant here. He may be a debutant in the test side but he has already played matchwinning knocks in the other two formats for his country so we know he will fit in at this level and we also know he is a special talent. Narsingh Deonarine isn't a certain starter for the Windies because he arrived late into the country but if he does start he will be playing without any cricket in the country behind him which is a big ask, especially in these conditions. Lords is a bit of a unique ground too which isn't ideal for your first innings in foreign conditions. We know Bairstow can handle this Windies attack. He scored 50 against it for the Lions last week and with England adept in setting up innings at the top in home conditions this should be set up perfectly for the youngster to tuck into a demoralised attack and run out a big first innings winner against the Guyana all rounder. 3pts J.Trott (-10.5 runs) to beat K.Edwards (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes To be fair to Kirk Edwards he has made a decent start to his test career but his statistics are slightly distorted by centuries against Bangladesh and India's reserve attack. In all fairness Jonathan Trott is a class above the West Indian in this match up and I would expect that to show in these conditions. Yes this is a big handicap to cover but Edwards has had three knocks on this tour so far and hasn't reached double figures yet so that's unlikely to be improved upon too much against an England attack who bowl to conditions at Lords very well. Jonathan Trott likes pace on the ball and he's sure to get that in this match. I've already mentioned he averages 99.66 on this ground and if he gets anywhere near that average in this first innings I think it will be plenty too much for the West Indian number three who could just be a bit out of his depth both in these conditions and against this bowling attack. 2pts D.Sammy Top West Indies Bowler (1st Inns Only) 9/2 Paddy Power Darren Sammy isn't the most obvious choice for the top bowler from this West Indian attack but if the wicket is a little bit slow then I think the wicket could suit him nicely. He has the ability to move the ball both ways both through the air and off the seam but what he is good at is mixing his pace and bowling wicket to wicket. When a wicket is slow and a bit two paced you can often pin batsmen LBW as they are not sure how the ball is going to react off the wicket. 9 times out of 10 the likes of Edwards and Roach will come on nicely to the bat so that leaves Ravi Rampaul who was struggling with injury earlier in the tour. Sammy is quite canny on slow wickets as he showed in India at the end of last year where he took 9 wickets in 4 matches. Last time he played a test match in England he took 7/66 and if there is some swing, which with the weather we've had recently and are expecting over the next couple of days, there almost has to be, if there is swing I like the 9/2 about Sammy taking out the most England batsmen in the first innings.

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series Dont suppose anybody keeps record of prices etc etc do they, im sure i backed S Broad over 121 pts in the first test but according to my statement i backed Jimmy Anderson Over 121pts, there is a possibility that i have obviously just taken the wrong selection but does anyone know if Jimmy Andersons points were also over 121 before i make a twat of myself with 365 ?? Thanks

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series Just wanted fellow tipsters opinions on this... England to win the series 3-0 is 1.91 @ Stan James. Surely that has to be a value pick? Its as short at 1.61 on Bet365. Apart from Chaunderpaul West Indies batting was quite poor in my opinion. I dont think the weather will play a part in the result as it seems to be sunny from now on (fingers crossed) and even if time was lost to rain or bad light i dont think it would affect England. Is this worth betting on?

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series Not for me it isn't mate. Not at odds on anyway. West Indies weren't a million miles away from beating us at Lords and showed against Australia they might have a draw in them, especially if rain gets in the way at Edgbaston. +3.83pts for me after the first test. Going with a few for Trent Bridge. 4pts D.Ramdin's Performance Pts - 75&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Denesh Ramdin performed pretty well at Lords with six catches and 49 runs in the match for a total of 109pts and I see no reason why he can't go well in this match too. He showed in swinging conditions that he can bat in the first test and if the ball does swing then he is sure to get a few catches off the likes of Ravi Rampaul should be play, and Kemar Roach. If the Windies can take the match deep he might well find some points come his way perhaps via a stumping as the wicket dries out and begins to turn as I'm sure Shillingford will play in this match. Realistically though he could cover this with two solid innings with the bat but I find it hard to believe he won't get 2-3 catches at the minimum in this test match. MS Dhoni took 5 catches here last summer and his attack offered nothing all series. A combination of runs and catches should be more than enough to cover this total so I'll take Ramdin, with a more effective bowling attack than the one Dhoni kept to, to cover this total. 4pts J.Anderson Over 2.5 1st Inns Wickets 5/6 Ladbrokes 1pt J.Anderson 5+ 1st Inns Wickets 7/1 Ladbrokes Jimmy Anderson loves this ground and has a very good record here. In the five test matches he has played on the ground he has 33 wickets at 17.45 including his career best figures of 7/43 against New Zealand in 2008. Anderson makes the ball talk here and with all the talk being of a green wicket I think he will go very well in this test match. Of the five first innings he has had on this ground he has figures of 5/102 vs SA, 1/134 vs India in 2007, 7/43 vs NZ in 2008, 5/54 vs Pakistan in 2010 and 2/80 vs India last year. He also has a 6 for against Pakistan in the second innings of that match. So in three of his first innings he has taken five wickets and he would have probably had three wickets in the first innings last year had Stuart Broad not ripped the tail apart with his hat trick. Of course the Harbhajan part of that hat trick shouldn't have stood but it did and that denied Anderson a chance of a 3 for. I don't think he'll be denied this year and with a couple of rabbits in the top 3 Anderson can be away and gone in the quest for 3 and then 5 wickets quite quickly. This is Anderson's favourite ground and I think he can take at least 3 and then quite possibly at least 5 in the first innings here. 3pts J.Trott (-13.5 runs) to beat K.Edwards (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes Can't really add too much to my write up in the last test. Kirk Edwards looks well out of his depth in this conditions and if that front foot doesn't move from ball one in this test match I can't see him lasting too long first time around here either. This isn't Jonathan Trott's best test ground in England but it is quite possible he won't even need 25 to win this bet. Edwards still hasn't made 10 on this tour yet. Ok he was unlucky to be done up like a kipper by Darren Bravo in the second innings of the first test but in the first innings it was a case of when he'd be done lbw. I don't see any reason Edwards is going to suddenly score in this match unless he gets a few edges away so even on what is a big handicap I'm still happy enough to take Trott here. 2pts S.Shillingford Top West Indies Bowler (1st Inns Only) 9/2 Stan James Just a hunch I've got here really. This wicket should dry out and maybe even crumble quite quickly with the forecasted temperatures in the lead up to the test match and during it and if West Indies bat first and can get it into the middle of day two before they bowl then Shillingford should come into his own. England showed in the sub continent that playing spin is still a weakness and this guy can turn it. He took 10 wickets in his last test against Australia and surely that nonsense about his fingers being too cold in the first test will have been sorted out. Temperatures should be more to his liking and with England not playing spin brilliantly then I think there is a little bot of value in this 9/2 because I would expect in the hot conditions Sammy will use him to take up one end so that he can rotate his seamers regularly at the other end. I'll have a small play on Shillingford given England's frailties against spin as he can definitely turn it. 1pt ew D.Sammy Top West Indies Batsman (1st Inns Only) 25/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1,2,3) I actually think this wicket could be a bit better for batting than people are talking. Certainly scores in Nottinghamshire's first class matches this season suggests it is a decent enough wicket to bat on as there has been a 400 in each match so far. However that won't worry Sammy because at least two of those above him in the order look out of their depth and anyone can get a good ball. Sammy was quite restrained at Lords but I don't think he will be here. This is a quick scoring ground. The boundaries are short to the new stand and straight to the pavilion and the outfield is quick so he'll get full value for his shots. If the top order have gone quickly or if Bravo continues to run them all out then it could be there for a Sammy special to come and land the spoils as we saw a couple of times in the recent series with Australia. Sammy nearly placed in the second innings at Lords. At 25/1 he's worth an each way bet to see if he can place here at least and maybe slog his way into the top score.

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series

Not for me it isn't mate. Not at odds on anyway. West Indies weren't a million miles away from beating us at Lords and showed against Australia they might have a draw in them' date=' especially if rain gets in the way at Edgbaston.[/quote'] Cheers for that. You have a good point and odds have gone down anyway so will leave it!

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series Just a quick one from me... 5 points Day 2 1st Session Runs, Over 88 @ 2 StanJames There is a danger that there could be an innings break in the 1st session which could see ther being a loss of overs but i have faith in both Samuels and Sammy and i think this West Indies tail will wag. The weather is excellent again and its a tremondous batting pitch. Samuels batted excellent yesterday and im sure hes in the right frame of mind to build on his innings. Sammy did play a couple of shots and that could be his downfall but if he stays for at least the first 10 overs of the day im confident this bet will come in.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series First one for the third test. 2pts S.Finn Top England Bowler (1st Inns Only) 7/2 Bet365

Whenever he has played test cricket Finn has always taken wickets and I think he’s at his best now. He will attack the stumps with out and out pace and could be too much for many of the West Indies batsmen. At 7/2 he’s well priced to be England’s chief destroyer first time around at Edgbaston. For the full preview click here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-west-indies-3rd-test-betting--steven-finn-can-make-the-most-of-his-recall-in-the-first-innings

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series I've scoured around the various markets to see if any are priced up badly but they're not so given the forecast which is as rank as I can remember for a test match I'll take the Finn bet and leave it there for pre-match bets. If the forecast improves or some betting potential comes up mid-match I will get involved but if not it will just be the Finn bet.

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series England v West Indies Lay Draw @ 1.46 Betfair When I first took a gander at the market the other day and saw the draw price around 1.6 I presumed British summer time had arrived with avengance and looking at the forecast backed that up. I am not a fan of backing the draw before a ball has been bowled and to me this current price is just too low to ignore laying. Even with time lost, I cannot see the Windies batting for more than two days in cold, damp, windy, swinging conditions with continuous rain breaks. If England win the toss and have a bowl, it wouldnt be a shock to anyone if WI were 3/4/5 down by lunch even if they only get in 20 overs. With the ability the English batting has to put quick runs on the board, which I think could see Narine going for plenty and I see no reason why they won't be in winnable position at some point in this test. If you're thinking why don't I just back England, well the only answer I can give to that is I grew up watching them in the 90's...

Re: England vs West Indies - Test Series Quick one before the match starts. 3pts England to win 3rd Test 9/2 BetVictor I think England can win this test match inside three days. No Shiv for the West Indies and England bowling first are both boosts to that. England have a couple of seamers who can take advantage this morning before their batting gets to work. There is still 294 overs left in the match and England beat a better India side in 305 overs here last year and a better Pakistan side in 274 overs two years ago so quick wins do happen for England on this ground and I think if the rain stays away there's still plenty of time for England to run through this young West Indies side a couple of times.