** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd

Aidymac

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd

Congratulations Aidymac. Tell me' date=' who for the USPGA so I can get some tasty proce now on Betfair?[/quote'] Lol! The chances of picking all 4 major winners would be extreme, wouldn't fancy my chances again after the luck i had with Bubba, Simpson and Els.. The market is not really opened fully yet, but the 2 that interest me so far are Keegan Bradley and Ian Poulter.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd Good work Aidy :clap. Unlucky Russ, to lose with Noren last week and Scott this week is bordering on criminally unlucky. Won't be long before you smash in a very big price winner though mate :ok.

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd Firstly, well done to the 5 guys who tipped up Ernie this week. Aidymac, Kevshat, Hornet, Bobbyhead & Best Mate....well done guys :ok Enjoy the success, he played the back 9 supremely well:clap

A.Scott to win The Open' date= 2pts EW @ 40/1 Paddy Power (1/4 odds 1-7) My main bet and he seems to be a player that has gone under the radar. Inside the World's Top 15, Adam Scott is a player that has the credentials to win an Open. I mentioned earlier in this thread that a player with solid Masters form should be suited by this test so his 8th place finish this year, coupled with his 2nd last year, are real positives. Those results also show he's able to challenge in the Majors too. His Open record ain't great but, equally, isn't too shabby with a couple of top 30 finishes in the last 2 years. Has yet to win this year but has been in decent nick in some top events and is relatively fresh too. Much better tee to green than people give him credit for and has always been a decent putter. With all the spotlight focused elsewhere, this could be the one market leader to surprise people.
Ah well, those are the breaks. Well played Adam Scott, for 68 holes you were brilliant. Tough to take but profit 2 weeks on the trot so at least the selection criteria is spot on. With Noren missing a tiddler on 72 last week and Scott finishing with 4 bogeys, I'm hoping my luck takes a turn for the better this week. As a positive though, it's nice to at least have players in contention. It, at least, gave me some financial interest.
then again he is an aussie!
Typical, throw away, stupid comment. People like Adam Scott & Ernie Els have shown such professionalism & good grace throughout the week but, as usual, the British mentality kicks in:eyes

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd As a matter of fact, if that was me in Scott's position, i would have either beat the crap out of myself, or would have got into a violent temper after the putt on the last. His professionalism and respect for the game is unbelievable. I can't imagine how the poor chap is feeling after playing 3 and a half rounds of amazing golf. I don't understand why Brit's in general don't like Aussie's, it seems to me to be a great country that supplies half the world with employment at present, yes that are a bit arrogant in general, but what big nation isn't? No need for racist remarks.

Firstly' date=' well done to the 5 guys who tipped up Ernie this week. Aidymac, Kevshat, Hornet, Bobbyhead & Best Mate....well done guys :ok Enjoy the success, he played the back 9 supremely well:clap[/quote'] I echo that. Well done to all Els backers this week and anyone else who made profit on the tournament :ok.

Just woke up to see the result. Feel so sorry for you Russ, that would have to one of the sickest feeling in the world. Well done to all the Ernie backers though. 3/3 is a great achievement Aidy!
Thanks Crouchy.

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd Well done to those on Els! Great way to finish what I thought was a very strange day. As for me, mine were awful. Fowler was so frustrating to watch as he would follow up 5 good holes with a couple of stinkers to undo the good work. I think he still has an Open in him, though.

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd well done to all who had ernie els,commiseations to anyone who had adam scott.perhaps it was experience that tipped it ernies way in the end.a good 4 days golf in weather that never got as bad as was forecast.roll on muirfield next year.

Typical, throw away, stupid comment. People like Adam Scott & Ernie Els have shown such professionalism & good grace throughout the week but, as usual, the British mentality kicks in:eyes
yep forgot we arent allowed to make stupid comments on here, was just me trying a bit of humour but seems to have been taken out of context by you russ, i've really enjoyed the golf this week and would have loved for scott to win the claret jug but it wasn't to be. See you next year

If you're looking for a bit of early value, there is one that screams out for me... Ernie Els @ 80s ew BlueSq Ernie just missed out on going to the Masters. Some see this as the beginning of a truly downward spiral with him currently sitting at number 59 in the world - I however see it differently. His results have been pretty poor for a while, however, this year is starting to paint a different story. A playoff loss in South Africa could have been a false dawn at home, but with his last 4 stroke play tournaments showing 21-5-4-12 he is clearly getting back to his best form of the past few years. Yes, he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins in the next 3 months and his odds go in to The Open at about 33s. So what about his Open record? Well everyone knows the guy is a classy links player. He has missed the cut in the last two years, but as said, his form has been poor since his wins in early 2010. The reality is that between 2000 and 2009, his Open record read 10 tournaments, 1 win, 2 runner ups, 2 thirds, 4th, 7th, 8th, 18th, 34th. Not too bad. Just on this alone his odds should be 66s. Of course, the course changes every year, but Ernie's record at the course is pretty solid. Two visits resulting in a 2nd and a 3rd. He can play the course! He may not be in his pomp anymore, but if his recent form is showing the upward trajectory I believe, these odds will look pretty good in a couple of months. GL :ok
Absolutely superb pick Hornet, inspired. It is lovely when a plan comes together. I am delighted i took the 40/1 as i thought it was still a backable price, many people would not bother after seeing he was available @ 80s. Delighted for you mate, probably the best value on the golf forum in 2012??? And you were right, those odds did look good in a couple of months...

I hope you're right Aidymac,with Els. I too am already on him. I got 80/1 for him(honest!) with Corals at the end of April,the day after he lost out to Dufner in the Zurich Classic. Mindful of how much he loves it here,I couldn't believe that price of Corals,who were out on a limb with those odds. Only slight worry is that it's 1st 5 for places,only. No doubt someone will go 1st 6 or even 7 places nearer the time,like Paddy Power. Still,if he wins,it won't matter,& I'll be bloody ecstatic!
Cracking shout Bobby, another man that got maximum value. I presume you are ecstatic as you said you would be? Well done fella.

I actually think Harrington will go really well in this tournament but luckily he's rarely the fastest of starters so hopefully he will be a bit bigger than the current 20/1 after the opening round or two. Anyway my preview.... 2pts ew L.Westwood to win The Open 15/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-7) 1pt ew E.Els to win The Open 40/1 Stan James (1/4 1-7)

Westwood continues to knock on the door in major championships but as yet the door hasn’t opened. Westwood missed the cut down in Kent last year but prior to that he finished second and third so we know he has the pedigree for links golf and when fairways are needed to be hit Westwood is very much your man as I don’t believe there’s a better driver of a ball in world golf these days. Els was tied for third when the tournament was last held here and the course isn’t too different this week aside from the little added length. The big South African has missed the last two cuts in this tournament but prior to that he had 8 top 10’s in 10 years so his links golf pedigree needs no questioning. Although Els has missed the last two cuts in this event, there’s no doubt in my mind he’s playing a lot better coming into this year’s tournament than he has at any stage in the last two years so I fully expect a good showing from the 2002 champion at a large looking 40/1. Full preview here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting--lee-westwood-can-provide-the-straight-driving-needed-to-win-his-first-major-championship

Just highlighting the posts for the Open as they all deserve a mention, the standard of tipping is sensational. Well done the birthday boy, a lovely little present for you this morning. :notworthy Good reasoning as per usual Kev, well done mate.

*Ernie Els - 2 Points e/w @ 40/1 Bet365* Has an incredible 26 European Tour wins to his name, and was a very creditable 9th in the US Open last week, and was 7th in the BMW PGA Championship. Ernie finished 8th in the Open in 2009, 7th in 2008, 4th in 2007, 3rd in 2006, 2nd in 2004, 18th in 2003, WON in 2002, 3rd in 2001, 2nd in 2000, 24th in 1999, 28th in 1998, 10th in 1997, 24th in 1994, 6th in 1993, 5th in 1992.... His record in this tournament is just INCREDIBLE!!! Definately worth a bet as he is still playing excellent golf this year.
Cheers. And give yourself a pat on the back too,Aidymac! And to Best Mate,Kevshat & Hornet. Apologies if I have left anyone out. Ecstatic? You bloody bet(no pun intended). I'm still on Cloud 9 & will not be coming down for some while! I'm not sure if you read my last comment on the in-play discussion thread,but how I was keeping tabs was torturous! Refreshing Paddy's in-running odds constantly to gauge Els progress! I even checked the betting without Scott market too,as it was difficult to know who his place rivals were with the outright odds being so large! Oosthuizen for example was bothering me for a while. That's normally a sign that someone will walk away with it when they have betting w/o favourite,but wow what an incredible finish. This win means so much. This and a big win only on Zach Johnson(14/1) recently in the Colonial,has put me in profit for the year. Didn't add to the latter's thread,as had nothing to contribute,& no one likes to hear after eventing etc. I was in a dark place up until then. It was pure chasing,& not good for the nerves! Note to self,stop betting for the sake of betting,especially on things I know little about. Stick to betting on golf,& footie!! Commiserations to RussP. We've all been there,all to often. Hurts like hell. There's a very thin line between jubilation and despair,especially in this sport. Regards,Bobbyhead

Just to add Dustin Johnson and Jimenez(picked by Aidymac) both had top10 finishes' date='both finished T9. Johnson bogeyed the 17th,so although I wasn't aware at the time,he could have sneaked an unlikely place. That would have been greedy! ;-D[/quote'] Any idea what price Jiminez was for a top 10?