** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd

Aidymac

A bit early.. Well very early! But i am going to get this up and running, even though the US Open is on first, cos i fancy one at a price. *Justin Rose - 1 Point e/w @ 50/1 Bluesquare* He could not get into a rhythm in the Masters, but he should feel more at home in the British Open. He already has earned around 2 million dollars in 2012, and is now the World No. 9.. He was T44th in the Open last year, didn't make the cut in 2010, was 13th in 2009, 70th in 2008, 12th in 2007, so he has been in the Top 15 twice already, and he is now playing the best golf of his career. Although he did not threaten in the Masters, he played very well, did not get the little bit of luck needed around the difficult Augusta course, and i think 50/1 is far too big a price for this guy to win the British Open.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd *Robert Allenby - 1 Point e/w @ 175/1 Bet365* Has 4 tour wins to his name and i think 175/1 is overpriced, i thought 100/1 would have been around the right price. Showed his wellbeing this year at the Mayakoba Classic where he finished 2nd. He finished 48th last year in the Open, 27th in 2010, 32nd in 2009, 7th in 2008, 16th in 2006, 52nd in 2005.... So he nearly always makes the cut here, and he has had a Top 10 and a Top 20 here, so he can play this course fairly well. I think he is worth a go at the price. *Jonathon Byrd - 0.7 Points e/w @ 150/1 Bet365* Another man that looks a tasty price. He has had 5 Tour wins to his name and he is still only around 33 years old. He finished 3rd in the Tournament of Champions already this year and 8th in the Northern Trust. He finished a respectable +2 in the Masters this weekend, finishing in 27th place. He didn't make the cut in last years British Open, but back in 2007 he finished 23rd in the Open, and this year will only be his 3rd Open, he is a talented player and hopefully can make his presence felt.

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd If you're looking for a bit of early value, there is one that screams out for me... Ernie Els @ 80s ew BlueSq Ernie just missed out on going to the Masters. Some see this as the beginning of a truly downward spiral with him currently sitting at number 59 in the world - I however see it differently. His results have been pretty poor for a while, however, this year is starting to paint a different story. A playoff loss in South Africa could have been a false dawn at home, but with his last 4 stroke play tournaments showing 21-5-4-12 he is clearly getting back to his best form of the past few years. Yes, he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins in the next 3 months and his odds go in to The Open at about 33s. So what about his Open record? Well everyone knows the guy is a classy links player. He has missed the cut in the last two years, but as said, his form has been poor since his wins in early 2010. The reality is that between 2000 and 2009, his Open record read 10 tournaments, 1 win, 2 runner ups, 2 thirds, 4th, 7th, 8th, 18th, 34th. Not too bad. Just on this alone his odds should be 66s. Of course, the course changes every year, but Ernie's record at the course is pretty solid. Two visits resulting in a 2nd and a 3rd. He can play the course! He may not be in his pomp anymore, but if his recent form is showing the upward trajectory I believe, these odds will look pretty good in a couple of months. GL :ok

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd

Nice selections Aidymac.. seen anyone in the US open market worth backing earlyvalue-wise?
Hi mate. I was looking at Webb Simpson, looks too big a price @ 50/1... Also still think Angel Cabrera has a good chance there.

He is exempt under clause 15' date=' so his chances of playing should the same as him being fit, but I'm afraid I couldn't really tell you what those chances are. I think he returned recently and ended up withdrawing.[/quote'] Hopefully he will be fit. I stuck a few quid e/w on him today, and if he doesn't turn up, c'est la vie. Thanks mate.

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd *Tim Clark - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Ladbrokes* There is a chance he won't play in this tournament, but i have put a few quid on him today incase he does, as if he does show up i don't think 200/1 will be available. He suffered an elbow injury last year and has not played much golf since. He missed the cut in the Masters but did play well in the first round where he shot a 73. I think his style of game would be suited at the Open, and although he has not done great there , he did finish 23rd here before.. Hopefully he is injury free and gives me a run for my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd *Paul Casey - 1 Point e/w @ 80/1 Sportingbet* Has not been playing so well in 2012 and played average in 2011 too, but is a talented player, and on home soil i am hoping it can bring out some inspiration and improvement in him. He proved he is good on a links course when he finished 3rd in the Open in 2010 and he finished 7th in 2008. He has not missed a cut since 2005, so at 80/1 i think he is a bit overpriced, i thought he would have been 50/1. Bets So Far: Paul Casey - 1 Point e/w @ 80/1 Tim Clark - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Robert Allenby - 1 Point e/w @ 175/1 Jonathon Byrd - 0.7 Points e/w @ 150/1 Justin Rose - 1 Point e/w @ 50/1

• 3 weeks later...

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd *Bubba Watson - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Unibet* Top priced 50/1 on oddschecker and is 33/1 - 40/1 generally, so i feel the 60/1 on offer with Unibet is cracking value. I backed Bubba to win the US Masters, and he obliged @ 50/1, so he is worth a bet here at this price for me. He is now ranked 4th in the world, has a superb scoring average of 69.66, his worst finish this year from 10 events has been 18th, that is incredible consistent golf. He finished 30th in The Open last year, and with the amount of shots he has in his locker, i think this guy will be able to handle the tough terrain and play good links golf. In with a shout.

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd *Thomas Bjorn - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Unibet* The Big Dane has 13 european tour wins to his name, he is an incredible golfer. He was 3rd in Abu Dhabi this year, finished a respectable 37th in the US Masters and he enjoyed an incredible 3 victories on tour in 2011, his best year to date. He is very good at links golf also, he was 4th in the British Open last year, and if he can bring that form to the table this year, he is another with a big chance at a good price.

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd I have added another 7.6 Points WIN on Justin Rose @ 40/1 Unibet, and 4.3 Points WIN on Paul Casey @ 70/1 Unibet. Paul Casey - 1 Point e/w @ 80/1 Paul Casey - 4.3 Points WIN @ 70/1 Thomas Bjorn - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Tim Clark - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Robert Allenby - 1 Point e/w @ 175/1 Jonathon Byrd - 0.7 Points e/w @ 150/1 Justin Rose - 1 Point e/w @ 50/1 Justin Rose - 7.6 Points WIN @ 40/1 Bubba Watson - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd *Miguel Angel Jiminez - 5 Points WIN @ 150/1 Bwin* The Spaniard has had an incredible 18 European Tour wins in his long career, a remarkable player, and may be just a bit overpriced for this year's Open Championship. He can play well on links course's, he was 25th in The Open last year, 27th in 2010, 13th in 2009, 12th in 2007, so he has put in some very good performances when this tournament comes along. He has had a few Top 10's already in 2012, he is a cagey player, has a very good brain on his shoulders, which you need playing links golf, and for me is worth a bet at the price. Topped up on *Justin Rose - 10 Points WIN @ 50/1 Betfred* Topped up on *Thomas Bjorn - 10 Points WIN @ 100/1 Coral* Paul Casey - 1 Point e/w @ 80/1 Paul Casey - 4.3 Points WIN @ 70/1 Thomas Bjorn - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Thomas Bjorn -10 Points WIN @ 100/1 Tim Clark - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Robert Allenby - 1 Point e/w @ 175/1 Jonathon Byrd - 0.7 Points e/w @ 150/1 Justin Rose - 1 Point e/w @ 50/1 Justin Rose - 7.6 Points WIN @ 40/1 Justin Rose - 10 Points WIN @ 50/1 Bubba Watson - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd Put 3.7 Points WIN on Louis Oosthuizen @ 40/1 Betfred. Have him backed in the US Open, so having a few quid on him in the British Open. South Africans seem to cope well on links courses. Paul Casey - 1 Point e/w @ 80/1 Paul Casey - 4.3 Points WIN @ 70/1 Thomas Bjorn - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Thomas Bjorn -10 Points WIN @ 100/1 Tim Clark - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Robert Allenby - 1 Point e/w @ 175/1 Jonathon Byrd - 0.7 Points e/w @ 150/1 Justin Rose - 1 Point e/w @ 50/1 Justin Rose - 7.6 Points WIN @ 40/1 Justin Rose - 10 Points WIN @ 50/1 Bubba Watson - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Miguel Angel Jiminez - 5 Points WIN @ 150/1 Louis Oosthuizen - 3.7 Points WIN @ 40/1

• 3 weeks later...

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd *Ernie Els - 2 Points e/w @ 40/1 Bet365* Has an incredible 26 European Tour wins to his name, and was a very creditable 9th in the US Open last week, and was 7th in the BMW PGA Championship. Ernie finished 8th in the Open in 2009, 7th in 2008, 4th in 2007, 3rd in 2006, 2nd in 2004, 18th in 2003, WON in 2002, 3rd in 2001, 2nd in 2000, 24th in 1999, 28th in 1998, 10th in 1997, 24th in 1994, 6th in 1993, 5th in 1992.... His record in this tournament is just INCREDIBLE!!! Definately worth a bet as he is still playing excellent golf this year. Have also topped up on Paul Casey, as Powers have gone mad offering such odds. *Paul Casey - 4 Points WIN @ 125/1 Paddy Power* Paul Casey - 1 Point e/w @ 80/1 Paul Casey - 4.3 Points WIN @ 70/1 Paul Casey - 4 Points WIN @ 125/1 Thomas Bjorn - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Thomas Bjorn -10 Points WIN @ 100/1 Tim Clark - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Robert Allenby - 1 Point e/w @ 175/1 Jonathon Byrd - 0.7 Points e/w @ 150/1 Justin Rose - 1 Point e/w @ 50/1 Justin Rose - 7.6 Points WIN @ 40/1 Justin Rose - 10 Points WIN @ 50/1 Bubba Watson - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Miguel Angel Jiminez - 5 Points WIN @ 150/1 Louis Oosthuizen - 3.7 Points WIN @ 40/1 Ernie Els - 2 Points e/w @ 40/1

I hope you're right Aidymac,with Els. I too am already on him. I got 80/1 for him(honest!) with Corals at the end of April,the day after he lost out to Dufner in the Zurich Classic. Mindful of how much he loves it here,I couldn't believe that price of Corals,who were out on a limb with those odds. Only slight worry is that it's 1st 5 for places,only. No doubt someone will go 1st 6 or even 7 places nearer the time,like Paddy Power. Still,if he wins,it won't matter,& I'll be bloody ecstatic!

I hope you're right Aidymac,with Els. I too am already on him. I got 80/1 for him(honest!) with Corals at the end of April,the day after he lost out to Dufner in the Zurich Classic. Mindful of how much he loves it here,I couldn't believe that price of Corals,who were out on a limb with those odds. Only slight worry is that it's 1st 5 for places,only. No doubt someone will go 1st 6 or even 7 places nearer the time,like Paddy Power. Still,if he wins,it won't matter,& I'll be bloody ecstatic!
Howdy Bobby. Sportingbet and Powers are already going 6 places!! Pity i didn't do my research on him earlier. With form like that in this event, if i had got 80/1, i would have put a right wad on it e/w! However, i still think 40/1 is a decent price for someone with such a track record in this event. You got amazing value, and fingers crossed he goes well for us dude! He played very well in the US Open, and had some near misses over the past 12 months, so his turn is just around the corner again i feel. Swings in roundabouts this game, every dog has his day!

Totally agree. 40/1 is very decent odds. He has been playing well generally this year,apart from a few putting issues which I think he has sorted out. And that was impressive at the weekend,on that monstrous course! You just feel he has a big win still in him,& why not here on a course he clearly enjoys?

^ Just to add,I notice Hornet_18 wrote a very good piece regarding the Big Easy,in early April. Only just read it,looking back at comments. He was right to point out the potential value of Blue Square's 80/1. Well,for now it is anyway...
Certainly Bobby, you and Hornet got cracking value, win or lose!

Case of deja vu. Thomas Bjorn is going well(in BMW) as I write,yet is a standout 100/1 with Corals. I'm on,each way(1/4 odds 12345). As Aidymac has already mentioned,he is a force here and was placed here last year. I'm warming a bit to Dustin Johnson. He had a decent February with a couple of top 5 finishes. T5 in the AT+T at Pebble Beach & T4 in the Northern Trust. He was off with an injury(back?) from mid March,but wasted little time on his return. T19 in the Memorial,& then returned to winning ways at the Fedex St Jude Classic. Missed the cut at the US Open,but so did many decent players(Donald,McIlroy to name a couple),so no disgrace on that tough course. He finished T2 here last year & T14 the year before that(could of been far better but for a poor final round +2). He is currently 40s,but I'll wait for more favourable place terms....

Case of deja vu. Thomas Bjorn is going well(in BMW) as I write,yet is a standout 100/1 with Corals. I'm on,each way(1/4 odds 12345). As Aidymac has already mentioned,he is a force here and was placed here last year. I'm warming a bit to Dustin Johnson. He had a decent February with a couple of top 5 finishes. T5 in the AT+T at Pebble Beach & T4 in the Northern Trust. He was off with an injury(back?) from mid March,but wasted little time on his return. T19 in the Memorial,& then returned to winning ways at the Fedex St Jude Classic. Missed the cut at the US Open,but so did many decent players(Donald,McIlroy to name a couple),so no disgrace on that tough course. He finished T2 here last year & T14 the year before that(could of been far better but for a poor final round +2). He is currently 40s,but I'll wait for more favourable place terms....
Hi Bob, i hope Bjorn can put in a good performance. As for Dustin Johnson, he has had a good year so far, and he was tied for 2nd in this event last year, so he is well capable on links courses. He was 14th too in 2010 in the British Open, not bad for only playing in it 3 times????? Hits the ball a mile, and will go even further on the links course.. Has to have a shout too!

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd Aidy, I think Casey is still having problems with his shoulder. He dislocated it while snow boarding at xmas and had a couple of months off and has pulled out of a recent tournament. Class act on his day and hope he gives you a good run for your money!

Aidy, I think Casey is still having problems with his shoulder. He dislocated it while snow boarding at xmas and had a couple of months off and has pulled out of a recent tournament. Class act on his day and hope he gives you a good run for your money!
Ya BH, i guess that is factored into the price. Hopefully he will be recovered in time, even if he is recovered he may not be golf-tuned fully. If he can make the cut and give me 4 days enjoyment, i will be more than happy!

Re: The Open Championship July 19th - 22nd Put another 10 Points WIN on Ernie Els @ 40/1 with Stanjames. Put another 5 Points WIN on Louis Oosthuizen @ 50/1 with Bet365. Paul Casey - 1 Point e/w @ 80/1 Paul Casey - 4.3 Points WIN @ 70/1 Paul Casey - 4 Points WIN @ 125/1 Thomas Bjorn - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Thomas Bjorn -10 Points WIN @ 100/1 Tim Clark - 1 Point e/w @ 200/1 Robert Allenby - 1 Point e/w @ 175/1 Jonathon Byrd - 0.7 Points e/w @ 150/1 Justin Rose - 1 Point e/w @ 50/1 Justin Rose - 7.6 Points WIN @ 40/1 Justin Rose - 10 Points WIN @ 50/1 Bubba Watson - 5 Points WIN @ 60/1 Miguel Angel Jiminez - 5 Points WIN @ 150/1 Louis Oosthuizen - 3.7 Points WIN @ 40/1 Louis Oosthuizen - 5 Points WIN @ 50/1 Ernie Els - 2 Points e/w @ 40/1 Ernie Els - 10 Points WIN @ 40/1