** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

MLB: April 7th 2012 Picks

2-3 -1.68 units (40.00%) Cardinals +108 to bet 1 unit @ 5dimes Wainwright coming off a year off due to injury so this is a little bit risky. But the Cards have played really well so far and Grienke tends to start slow. Will take my chances at + money. Blue Jays -112 to win 1 unit @ 5dimes I've already said I think the Blue Jays are one of the best teams in the league but this is mostly a play against Ubaldo...

Re: MLB: April 7th 2012 Picks Angels (-1.5) 1pt @ 2.05 PP Weaver stifled the Royals' offense yesterday, and they face another test today with Dan Haren taking the mound for the Angels. The Angels can carry the optimism of the new season through another win in this 3-game series, with Hochevar getting the start for KC. Hochevar hasn't fared well against the Angels in the past, with a 0-3 record from 4 starts and an ERA just nudging over 8. 2012 record: 4-1 (+5.92)

Toronto to beat cleveland 3pts @ 1.91 stan james Brandon morrow has promised much in his career, he has all the tools for success without ever seeming able to do it on the mound. I am all in on him this year (bet him for al cy young) and its his last chance to put it together with me. Am not convinced ubaldo jiminez is consistent enough and greatly prefer torontos lineup top to bottom Los angeles angels to beat kansas city royals 10pts @ 1.50 The royals cant pitch can they? Bruce chen last night and luke hochevar tonight. Sending dan haren to the mound the angels have so much the better of this matchup its embarrassing. Max bet Sf giants to beat arizona 7pts @ 2.10 Madison bumgarner is the other pitcher i love. He is spoken about the least of the giants rotation but has been dealing all spring and carries my nl cy young money. I think he has a huge year this year and while it pains me to oppose daniel hudson i will be on bumgarner against virtually anyone this year Philadelphia to beat pittsburgh 8pts @ 1.63 Another embarrassing matchup as the phillies with their pitching rich rotation will not need to score many as cliff lee takes the mound. Jeff karstens is a poor excuse for a second starter and we can see why the likes of the bucs and royals perenially struggle as pitching wins championships Good luck to all

Re: MLB: April 7th 2012 Picks Cleveland - Toronto over 8.5 @ 2.14 pinnacle Jimenez went 4-4 with a 5.10 ERA in 11 starts for Cleveland last year while Morrow went 11-11 with a 4.72 ERA in 30 starts for Toronto last year. Morrow is 1-3 with a 5.28 ERA against Cleveland, and not too confident in these two players keeping this to a low scoring game LA Angels -1.5 @ 2.17 pinnacle Haren went 16-10 with a 3.17 ERA last year in 34 starts and pitched very well this spring, so he is ready to shine again. He has gone 4-1 with a low 1.91 ERA in 8 starts against Kansas and backed by a very string batting line up, like the Angels to give him some run support here. Hochevar went 11-11 with a 4.68 ERA in 31 starts last year, and has struggled against the Angels, going 0-3 with a 8.02 ERA in 4 starts against them. Record: 1-2 (-0.64)

Re: MLB: April 7th 2012 Picks Danj - while you might be right about the phillies beating the pirates today your write up makes no sense. Jeff karstens had a 3,38 era last year, which Is pretty good. The pirates had the lowest era last year in pitching thru July and even with a terrible 2h they finished in the top half of the league. The best thing about the pirate is there pitching, when healthy

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it. My own perspective is the most exciting thing about pittsburgh are mccutcheon and alvarez and they have no pitcher that i view as reliable to carry my cash at this stage. It is also arguable that excellent defense has helped make average pitchers appear better. I am all about pitching and if in this matchup you are seriously trying to make a case for karstens against the top drawer and ultra consistent cliff lee tjen i am afraid i fail to see where you are coming from. I take lee here on virtually every conceivable scenario Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it. My own perspective is the most exciting thing about pittsburgh are mccutcheon and alvarez and they have no pitcher that i view as reliable to carry my cash at this stage. It is also arguable that excellent defense has helped make average pitchers appear better. I am all about pitching and if in this matchup you are seriously trying to make a case for karstens against the top drawer and ultra consistent cliff lee tjen i am afraid i fail to see where you are coming from. I take lee here on virtually every conceivable scenario Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Never said i consider 3.3 a bad era my friend. Do you consider karstens to be better than lee? I think its fairly obvious that our perspectives disagree from previous comments made in this and in the futures thread. I suggest we leave it at that and stop clogging up a thread ;) Best of luck with your bets :thumbup:

Re: MLB: April 7th 2012 Picks And im not disputing whether cliff lee is better then karstens. If picking the better pitcher is all it takes this would be an easier sport to bet on. In disputing your "embarrassing" claim. Sure it's an opinion, but the stats agree with my opinion

Ok. If we must. In my experience guys can produce for one season. Its called a fluke. None of the pittsburgh starters have produced at a high enough level of consistency for me to want to consider backing their starts. If karstens is sub 3.50 this season at the break i may start to follow. The basis of my pick is cliff lee and that appears to be what you are debating. Karstens is a career relief pitcher (otherwise known as a failed starter) his era is over 4.5 for his career. He may have got it figured out now. He may not. Either way you can buy him now, i prefer to wait a while. Was at work when writing the preview so did not have time to write the full preview that while the phillies have issues with age, health and declining ability at the plate and a pen that i am not sold on i have absolute confidence in lee. I disagree that it can be definitively said that either one of us is right. Opinions, interpretation of numbers and different perspective is all part of what makes this game great Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Re: MLB: April 7th 2012 Picks

Toronto to beat cleveland 3pts @ 1.91 stan james:nana Brandon morrow has promised much in his career, he has all the tools for success without ever seeming able to do it on the mound. I am all in on him this year (bet him for al cy young) and its his last chance to put it together with me. Am not convinced ubaldo jiminez is consistent enough and greatly prefer torontos lineup top to bottom Los angeles angels to beat kansas city royals 10pts @ 1.50 :wall The royals cant pitch can they? Bruce chen last night and luke hochevar tonight. Sending dan haren to the mound the angels have so much the better of this matchup its embarrassing. Max bet Sf giants to beat arizona 7pts @ 2.10 :wall Madison bumgarner is the other pitcher i love. He is spoken about the least of the giants rotation but has been dealing all spring and carries my nl cy young money. I think he has a huge year this year and while it pains me to oppose daniel hudson i will be on bumgarner against virtually anyone this year Philadelphia to beat pittsburgh 8pts @ 1.63 Another embarrassing matchup as the phillies with their pitching rich rotation will not need to score many as cliff lee takes the mound. Jeff karstens is a poor excuse for a second starter and we can see why the likes of the bucs and royals perenially struggle as pitching wins championships Good luck to all
Season record 3-7 (-29.97) Totals 0-3 (-16) Match 3-4 (-13.97) gotta get this staking plan sorted lol, come on philly! (sorry AGurv)

Angels (-1.5) 1pt @ 2.05 PP Haren was abused by the Royals there, fully deserved win for the visitors and Hochevar.
Yankees (-1.5) 1pt @ 2.74 Pinnacle Price just looks value for this to me tonight. Kuroda slots in for his Yankees debut, and will be aided by the fact he's pitched to Martin in LA previously. He pitched 24.2 innings in Spring games for an ERA of 2.92. For the Rays Price gets his season up and running after a 12-13 season in 2011. He's got a much better record in Tampa than away from base, but the Yankees have the firepower to flay him around, and, as said, at the price available, I like the Evil Empire to get a win on the board tonight with a healthy margin. 2012 record: 4-2 (+4.92)

Cleveland - Toronto over 8.5 @ 2.14 :D Some late hitting got the result, as we were struggling until then to send it over LA Angels -1.5 @ 2.17 :eyes Never in it
Record: 2-3 (-0.50) Texas - Chicago White Sox over 9.5 @ 2.09 pinnacle Holland pitches for Texas and he did not have the best of spring seasons.He has also gone 0-2 with a 10.38 ERA against the White Sox in 4 games, so they have hit him around. Peavy faces Texas having also hada rough time of it in spring season andhe too has had problems facing them, going 0-2 with a 8.80 ERA in 3 games against them. If these too live up to the form, then this should see quite a few runs scored. Seattle -1.5 @ 2.51 pinnacle Hernandez allowed 1 run on 5 hits in 8 innings as Seattle won 3-1 in the opening game of the season in Japan, and has gone 5-0 with a very low 1.87 ERA in his last 8 starts against Oakland. Their bats have shown that they can hit, especially much better than what Oakland has, and like them to get to Colon. Though Colon was very good in the 4-1 win over Seattle in Japan, and is 3-1 with a 1.67 ERA in his last 4 starts against them, he still is 15-11 with a much higher 4.01 ERA against them overall, and he never has been one to show consistency, not to the same standard Hernandez has

Yankees (-1.5) 1pt @ 2.74 Pinnacle Price just looks value for this to me tonight. Kuroda slots in for his Yankees debut, and will be aided by the fact he's pitched to Martin in LA previously. He pitched 24.2 innings in Spring games for an ERA of 2.92. For the Rays Price gets his season up and running after a 12-13 season in 2011. He's got a much better record in Tampa than away from base, but the Yankees have the firepower to flay him around, and, as said, at the price available, I like the Evil Empire to get a win on the board tonight with a healthy margin. 2012 record: 4-2 (+4.92)
Yankees 0-3 down, middle of the 3rd. Color me Madd :p but I can't resist a small tickle, NYY have the tools to win from here!! Yankees (m/l in running) 0.5pts @ 6.75 Bet365 :hope

2012 record: 4-2 (+4.92)

Re: MLB: April 7th 2012 Picks Went from 23/4 to 37/4 as I hit submit, and because the price was longer it auto accepts - only asks me to re-confirm if price drops :lol 0-4 then.... NYY have the, umm, tools to, umm, win from, umm, here ;) (will keep price as 23/4 [6.75] for purposes of thread :ok]

Yankees (-1.5) 1pt @ 2.74 Pinnacle
Yankees (m/l in running) 0.5pts @ 6.75 Bet365
Glad I was in bed when this one was playing out. 2-8 down and bet would have been given up on, then they start putting runs on the board in the 9th to ignite that glimmer of hope!! :lol 2012 record: 4-4 (+3.42)

Season record 3-7 (-29.97) Totals 0-3 (-16) Match 3-4 (-13.97) gotta get this staking plan sorted lol, come on philly! (sorry AGurv)
Well just to complete the horrific start to the year the wild pitch that scored the tying run leading to estras and a phillies loss lol Totals 0-3 (-16) Match 3-5 (-21.97) Overall 3-8 (-37.97) Could be a long road back from here sigh Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Texas - Chicago White Sox over 9.5 @ 2.09 :@ 6 runs after three innings and then they stopped scoring Seattle -1.5 @ 2.51 :@ Led 7-1 early on and then allowed Oakland to come back, and eventually won 8-7
Record: 2-5 (-2.50)