** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

If you're playing now... All on this thread please.

GETT1NLOTS

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. Made it to the second break. Im 19th out of 49. Just hope I can bring this home in the money. A player at my table getting amazing cards. AA, KK, QQ and JJ. Like I say we were both on 16k chips. I raised 1600 with AK, he re raised 6k. I thought about it and folded, he showed QQ. Is that a good fold or not? Should I have called and tried to get the chips which would have set me up for the rest of the tourney?

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. Personally i think it was a good fold.. No need to fight with chip leader. When he could have AA or KK.. If you both were on final table, and with equal chips.. And you both were a bit below most of the others, it would have been a re-raise all in IMO... But this time. I think it was good fold.. :ok

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please.

Lost patience' date=' went all in with pair of 10's after 4 players called, called by 2 of them, beat on the river for a change. ;)[/quote'] I'm still in the Daily Record (on my id this time!!) - but in a bad way - got 4700 chips - in 42 place (of 45) and blinds are 750/1500 - going to have to go for it soon..... Just did - all in with 22 - playing against 1 hand - 66 - I'm out in 45th.....

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. Couldnt get any decent cards to play with at all when I needed them, best I had was K8 suited, but decided to pass that up. With my stack Down to 7k and the blinds at 2k and 1k. Im on the big blind, folded all around to the SB and my mind is made up I have Q 4 os and I have to call. He raises 10k and I call he turns over A 5 os. And I'm out in 24th. Fooking gutted.:puke Cheers for the support cains. Can only think what might have been had I called the QQ with AK. But i'm convinced it was a good fold.

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. I think you showed fantastic discipline to fold AK if you felt you were in a losing position. I'm not sure I could have done. Yeah you could have been 2nd - but you could also have been out MTT are a very strange beast and you have shown with your recent record that you know what you are doing. The only question is if you had the discipline to fold AK were you also prepared to make position raises with crap to try and steal blinds and accumalte chips. We can read all the theory books we like but something books can't explain are the dynamics of momentum in these tourneys. In Super System Doyle Brunson says he always plays the next hand if he has won the previous hand not matter what his cards are - My instinct is always the opposite. We could start a whole seperate thread on momentum and other "intangibles" which is probably what seperates the better players from the average ones. I guess you played a bit scared in this game - I know when I have qualified through sats to bigger tourneys I have always done so. I'm convinced your on the right track though - only one thing bothers me though - why did you not fold your AK against my 44 in the recent betfair tourney roll.gif

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. Cheers CJB, In that tourney at betfair which I took you out I lost the bulk of my chips when I had AQ against AK. I learnt from this that my hand wasnt as good as I thought it was and that when I raised and then was reraised I should have put AQ down as the player I was against was a fairly tight player and I should have realised I was in trouble. Especially at that stage in the tourney where the Carib place was so close. Your are spot on with what you say about momentum. When I started I found If I got into a position where I won alot of chips in a hand and was chip leader at a table I would try and bully and end up playing too many hands and losing my chips. But I have learnt from that. In the instance where I put down AK. About 4 hands before I had AA and managed to double through against the same player who had AQ just calling my bets down to the river where he flopped a queen and then called my all in. Now I was excited at the chips I had accumulated but didnt want to start playing loose. 2 hands later the same player had AA and did the 6k raise. Which is just enough for someone to call as he knows hes got you beat anyway, it was called by someone with AQ. AA held up. The next hand was obviously the AK versus QQ hand. Having recently accumulated my chips I didnt want to part with them so quickly and I immediatley feared a high pocket pair with the 6k come and get me reraise. Overall im happy with my play, but I do feel a bit out of my depth as the stakes are just so high and im not used to it being that high. The one thing with playing MTT's from the $3 -$20 range, which are my bread and butter, is that I have no fear of loosing. If I do, I can move straight onto the next one. But these big stakes MTTs do fear me as the standard of play, like the stakes, is so high. Trying to read players is so much more difficult at that level. I would never have folded AK if I was playing in a $5 MTT.

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. The only thing I disagree with in your reply Plow King in that at higher levels it is much more difficult to read players hands. I actually think it is easier. you correctly read that your opponent had a ggod hand in your AK v QQ hand and the QQ could easily have been KK or AA. As you have explained what happened before had a large influence on what you did. In the betfair tourney where you knocked me out I had absolutely no momentum as I had good hands but when I did everybody folded. It just happens that way sometimes. I took a risk playing the hand I did against you and it did not work out. Sometimes playing the PL tourneys you can put players on exact hands because you know they are good players. In low level tourneys you play AK because an all in merchant could have 44 or AQ or KJ or possibly AA. We have no idea and if we are wrong then we simply play another. Here you did not fear the opponent - simply you did not want to miss out on a big pay day. I have been there and am trying to make the leap to the next stage. At low level tourneys it is all about doublng up - At higher levels it is about chip accumalation (normally) Anyway - enough of my ramblings - hope you qualify for tommorrow nights tourney

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. Anyone playing just now? Im pissing about in the ladders at lads. Managed to accumulate 60 tokens playing the $10 treble chance ladder tourney. Action is a bit thin on the ground for them tho. Piss bored as I cant find any decent MTTs to play either :(

• 2 weeks later...

Playing the $5 added MTT on blue square .................. are you in Plow?
I was in mate. All in with AQ suited and taken down by 66 :sad I intend to play most of them MTTs when/if a new league starts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: If you're playing now... All on this thread please. Hmm get dealt J 8 small blind. Call to see the flop Flop J 8 6 ...some guy puts me all in, everyone else folded - I call He shows A J - fair enough Turn 9 River 9 I'm out...... sometimes I don't know why I bother!!!?

• 2 weeks later...

im 33rd in the manchester thats on now is that good ? only played a couple of times
If there are 32 left then no :D. Seriously, not too bad. Mid table, top 10 qualify. Just keep doing what you're doing and hope Gaf doesn't wish you luck (kiss of death)