** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

NRL 2012 - Round 1

Lahrio

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 2.5pts Knights 1-12 @ 2.95 (IASBet) With new coach Wayne Bennett, as well as a significant increase in the quality on their roster, Newcastle will be a force this season. Bennett moulds his teams into efficient machines, with strong defence and possession strangling the opposition. I expect the knights to be no different this season. Despite this, the Dragons won't be a pushover, and I feel the legacy left by Bennett will still make the Dragons a difficult assignment, who won't be easily beaten too often. I expect a close match with both offences being slightly rusty in dealing with the new additions or losses to their respective squads, so a 1-12 point win for the home side is my pick.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 6pts Brisbane to beat Parramatta @ 1.58 (Pinnacle) I expect a big win for Brisbane here. They have lost Darren Lockyer, but they still have quality across the park. Their back line is young and talented and they have some of the best props in the competition all competing for places. There are rumours Jarryd Hayne will be out for the Eels, and without him they are relying on Sandow to step into those shoes in his first game with the Eels. Hayne is such an integral part of the Parramatta side, particularly their offence, and I struggle to see the Eels overcoming that against a strong Brisbane side. I expect the Broncos forwards to roll over the Eels and create plenty of room for players like Jack Reed, Hoffman and Yow Yeh to run.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 Knights -5.5 @ 2.10 I like the Knights tonight, think the excitement around that way and the fact Bennet will have his former clubs number points to a home win. So glad the league is back, best of luck for this year ladies and lads :hope.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 What a great game to start the year! Disappointed the Knights couldn't sneak it with a field goal, but they committed far too many errors after evening the game up and the Dragons really deserved to win.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 Knights didn't deserve to be in that game inept performance, seems they will need a little more time to get going, all over Brisbane tomorrow far more settled line-up and Parramatta could be missing Hayne, will look into it closer to KO.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 Brisbane -4.5 @ 1.91 - I think this along with the Cowboys game are the two only real strong bets of the weekend, think the Broncos will have too much for the Eels here, Parramatta have a new and i must say erratic halves pairing in Sandow and Roberts, Broncos are full of dangerous ball runners and I think they will look to exploit the massive hole in Sandows game of being a human speed bump.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 Broncos win by 1-12 margin @ 3.00 centrebet Eels have suffered a massive blow as they are without Hayne, which means that Sandow will have to lead from the front in organising his team. They are a solid team up front, but have lacked direction at the back, with an over-reliance on Hayne to provide the creativity. With him out, and though the Broncos no longer have Lockyer to lead them, they still look too consistent for the Eels. Like them to edge it up front, and the give some of their quality backs out wide to take it from there. Very wet conditions means the ball will be slippery and scoring points may be hard, but the Broncos have enough quality to win this one, as they have won 14 of the last 19 meetings held in Parramatta

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 3pts Raiders to bt Storm @ 2.46 (Pinnacle) Before I start, I will just clarify that I am a Raiders fan. Canberra had a horrible season last year, but when you consider four of the clubs key players spent large periods on the sideline, it is justified in a way. Melbourne on the other hand had their key players throughout the season, and finished minor premiers. I feel this year that Melbourne finally look like they have a few weak positions. Sure, they still have a world-class spine, and if it fires they can beat anyone, but the rest of their team doesn't particularly stand out to me like it has in the past. The Raiders will welcome back Terry Campese after he played a great trial for them a couple weeks ago. Campese is vital to their side (as Thurston is to the Cowboys, or Marshall is to the Tigers). At this time last year, the Raiders were being touted as potential premiership favourites, and not much has changed regarding their squad. They have the potential to be there or there a bouts come the end of the season, and I think odds of around 2.50 are slightly too tempting for the Raiders at home. 3pts Panthers to bt Bulldogs @ 2.00 (Centrebet) 2pts Panthers Margin 1-12pts @ 3.40 (Pinnacle) This should be a close game, and I think it could really go either way. I would give the small advantage to the Panthers mainly due to the fact that it will be raining, and I think the Walsh kicking game, which is such a key in their attacking repertoire will be more effective in the wet. Flash Gordon is back after an injury plagued season in 2011 and it should be good to see how they link up. I will go for a small Panthers win. Cowboys to bt Titans @ 1.56 (Pinnacle) The Titans have recruited well in the off-season, but I think it will take time for their new combinations to start clicking. Scott Prince will need to play well to keep the Titans in this, and I think this is one of the main reasons the Titans have struggled last season. They are relying on a player that is past his prime. Matt Rogers was an important player for the Titans and his retirement has really put a lot of the teams hope in Prince. Thurston on the other hand seemed to be in his prime last season, and I expect no different this year. He has got his combination working with Matt Bowen again, and I think JT should be able to pick apart this Titans defence.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1

Broncos win by 1-12 margin @ 3.00
:D Season record: 1-0 (2.00) Raiders @ 2.50 centrebet Raiders have a full strength side to face the Storm, and their pack is as good as what the Storm has. Where they have struggled is in the backs, as they have not had a playmaker to match it with Cronk, who was able to lead the team to win after win. Now that Campese is back after a season of injuries, he can be the catalyst for them to get a rare win over them. They tend to play well at home, and especially on a Saturday night, they have the players to cause an upset if they cut out their mistakes Bulldogs -3.5 @ 2.10 centrebet The Panthers look much weaker this year without several forwards who have moved on. The Bulldogs trial form was ordianry but they built some good momentum alst year, and can see them using this to continue to progress. Ennis is a good player around the rucks while Barba is going to be a threat in the slippery conditions. Hard to trust this Panthers side as doubt that they have the forwards to match it here and like the Bulldogs to do enough to win this Cowboys -6.5 @ 2.10 centrebet Cowboys have a very good forward pack, and with Bowen and Thurston behind them, are very hard to beat at home, as they usually link well together. The Titans have added some good players to the team and while they may be able to match it with the forward pack, they still lack players to match it in the backs. Prince is good as his Idris but apart from that, most of the other players are average, and they will have their work cut out trying to stop the Cowboys little men dominating them.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 Not a great day for me at all with all my bets losing. I feel I was a bit unlucky with the Raiders, who were the better team for about 60 minutes, but put in a disastrous first and last 10 minutes where the Storm really capitalised.

Raiders @ 2.50 centrebet Raiders have a full strength side to face the Storm, and their pack is as good as what the Storm has. Where they have struggled is in the backs, as they have not had a playmaker to match it with Cronk, who was able to lead the team to win after win. Now that Campese is back after a season of injuries, he can be the catalyst for them to get a rare win over them. They tend to play well at home, and especially on a Saturday night, they have the players to cause an upset if they cut out their mistakes Bulldogs -3.5 @ 2.10 centrebet The Panthers look much weaker this year without several forwards who have moved on. The Bulldogs trial form was ordianry but they built some good momentum alst year, and can see them using this to continue to progress. Ennis is a good player around the rucks while Barba is going to be a threat in the slippery conditions. Hard to trust this Panthers side as doubt that they have the forwards to match it here and like the Bulldogs to do enough to win this Cowboys -6.5 @ 2.10 centrebet Cowboys have a very good forward pack, and with Bowen and Thurston behind them, are very hard to beat at home, as they usually link well together. The Titans have added some good players to the team and while they may be able to match it with the forward pack, they still lack players to match it in the backs. Prince is good as his Idris but apart from that, most of the other players are average, and they will have their work cut out trying to stop the Cowboys little men dominating them.
Raiders should have won that game, with the referee disallowing a try from an at best flat ball, not a forward pass. Bulldogs came from behind to win while the Cowboys were very poor in humid conditions - too many dropped balls and could not get any momentum. Season record: 2-2 (+1.10) Manly -3.5 @ 2.90 centrebet The Warriors are missing several players from last year, and may need some more time to gel as a side, as they have injuries coming into this game, and their replacements may not be ready for the rough and tumble of the NRL. The Sea Eagles, like the Warriors, have a new coach, and Toovey's side has not looked all that impressive in pre-season, but they do have the nucleas of a very good side that will challenge once again for the title this year. They have won 7 of the last 8 meetings against the Warriors, and they have players all over the park, especially in the centres to outplay the Warriors and win again Sharks win by 1-12 margin @ 4.00 centrebet Tigers usually play well at Leichhardt and will be expected to do well once again. But the Sharks are no easybeats, as their improved showing last year saw them be very competitive, and now with some very goods signings, can see them pushing the Tigers all the way. They did that last year, and only in the last 10 minutes did the Tigers get their own way, but with Carney now playing for the Sharks, they have a players, if he stays focused, who can be a matchwinner. The Tigers do have Marshall and Farah who also can turn a game, but like the Sharks to upset them here, and in particular, can see Gibbs and Fifita having big games for them after being moved on, in order to accommodate Blair in the side.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 I'm on Warriors 9+ HT @ 3.85..i'm out currently so i'll keep it breif, Manly have been useless in their preseason and I think a trip over the ditch will be a tough ask first up to a fast firing Warriors team at home.

Re: NRL 2012 - Round 1 Saturday didn't go too well for me, and I am glad I stayed out of Sunday, as I would have agreed with other on here and been on the Warriors. P/L Round 1 - -9.61 units P/L Season - -7.56 units I feel I have been a bit unlucky with a couple of my margin bets, with Panthers losing the game towards the end and Knights going agonisingly close to winning within the 1-12 margin despite being the worse side. However, despite both bets losing, the games were close as I expected, with the result just going the wrong way. So to follow on with those bets, I'll take another approach, and dutch the 1-12 margins including the draw to effectively give me a bet of either team to win by less than 12 points (incl. draw). 6pts Final Margin

Manly -3.5 @ 2.90 :D Sharks win by 1-12 margin @ 4.00 :wall
Filthy the Sharks did not have some patience in the end. They had the ball to kick the field goal but they rushed when some composure was needed. The Tigers go down the other end and Marshall sends it over. Season record: 3-3 (+2.00)