Announcements
** December Poker League Result : 1st muttley, 2nd LIKE2FISH, 3rd kevsul **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st Like A Roughie, 2nd Paperclip, 3rd Kingdom for, 4th Alastair, 5th Gray306 **
** December Naps Competition Result: 1st BARNSLEYCHOP, 2nd SADDLESORE, 3rd ZIDANE123, 4th ADAMROSS. KO Cup Winner BBBC, Most Winners: JCW **

International Friendlies > 2012

Re: International Friendlies > 2012

Value is something which must be decided before the game has begun' date=' if that makes any sense. Andorra might have had the next Leo Messi coming on as sub and he might have scored a hatrick of wonder goals but if there was no evidence of this occurring then there was no way we could have factored it into our considerations. So in that respect Andorra's performance should not affect our judgment on whether or not our initial pricing up of the market was accurate or not, unless we saw in their performance evidence of something we may have overlooked previously. So, even had Andorra scored, I'd still say the correct price before the game would have been around 1.2, based on past events.[/quote'] I think I see your point, but don't think I quite agree pg. I think it's important to look at the game as it is and try to work out where the value is/was. And also to try to work out how much of the result, if any, was due to luck. (Just because a bet wins, doesn't mean it was a good one, or that it was good value. And a losing bet wasn't necessarily a bad one). Of course, you can't change a bet you had on the game beforehand. But you can, if you want, bet in-play. And, most useful of all, use what you learn from the game to work out possible future value instead of just marking it up as a bet won or lost.
  • Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I see your point' date=' but don't think I quite agree pg. I think it's important to look at the game as it is and try to work out where the value is/was. And also to try to work out how much of the result, if any, was due to luck. (Just because a bet wins, doesn't mean it was a good one, or that it was good value. And a losing bet wasn't necessarily a bad one). Of course, you can't change a bet you had on the game beforehand. But you can, if you want, bet in-play. And, most useful of all, use what you learn from the game to work out possible future value instead of just marking it up as a bet won or lost.[/quote'] I agree with you. But what you've written is not inconsistent with my idea that how the game pans out should not necessarily affect your judgement of whether your bet was value. There are some factors you cannot expect to foresee. To use the example of the Andorra game, if Andorra had been really dangerous and had hit the woodwork five times, I'd still say the bet was good value- due to their past performances and statistical goalscoring record. However, if there was a rematch, I would take the new information into account and my idea of a fair price would have changed. I believe value can only be understood as being an accurate estimate of a probability based on the information available at that point in time. Therefore, future information cannot change whether or not a bet was value, although it can (and often does) make you realise you overlooked or overplayed certain factors, i.e. it made you realise that you made an error in pricing up the game which could have been avoided.

I think I see your point' date=' but don't think I quite agree pg. I think it's important to look at the game as it is and try to work out where the value is/was. And also to try to work out how much of the result, if any, was due to luck. (Just because a bet wins, doesn't mean it was a good one, or that it was good value. And a losing bet wasn't necessarily a bad one). Of course, you can't change a bet you had on the game beforehand. But you can, if you want, bet in-play. And, most useful of all, use what you learn from the game to work out possible future value instead of just marking it up as a bet won or lost.[/quote'] I actually have a different opinion to the both of you, really, and don't think value can be judged until the game has finished. Good example would be Holland yesterday, 1.16 or something. Anybody suggests that bet on here and they'd have rocks thrown at them. But looking at it, 1.16 was a steal, and should of been 1.06. Also disagree about a losing bet ''not being a bad one.'' How can you possibly say losing is a good thing, MP? Anyway, this has been gone over so many times :zzz:lol

Good example would be Holland yesterday, 1.16 or something. Anybody suggests that bet on here and they'd have rocks thrown at them. But looking at it, 1.16 was a steal, and should of been 1.06.
But that's in hindsight.... we could all look back at a side that won 6-0 and could easily say yeah that should have been 1.01, why didn't I back it...
Also disagree about a losing bet ''not being a bad one.'' How can you possibly say losing is a good thing, MP?
What he's saying is that if you're playing a numbers game, as long as you're consistently making value selections, over a longer period of time you will come out on top. Regardless of whether the pick wins or loses, it's not best to get into the mentality of expecting every bet you take to win. As long as you can look back and say I'm happy with that selection because of XX, and I'm happy it was value. If you're not, the trick is to look at it and evaluate where you may have gone wrong and eliminate the possibility of it happening again :\ All theory of course.

I agree with you. But what you've written is not inconsistent with my idea that how the game pans out should not necessarily affect your judgement of whether your bet was value. There are some factors you cannot expect to foresee. To use the example of the Andorra game' date=' if Andorra had been really dangerous and had hit the woodwork five times, I'd still say the bet was good value- due to their past performances and statistical goalscoring record[/quote'] In this hypothetical scenario - yes, you could say it was still good value based on past statistics. Or you could say it was bad value because you had placed the bet without knowing that the current Andorra team was much improved and was a much bigger threat. Should you have placed the bet anyway? Perhaps. I suppose one thing this highlights is the risk of betting on relatively little known teams like Andorra where it's harder to get up to date information. If we were thinking of backing, say, Norwich v Man City in the Premier League, we'd probably have access to much more up to date information - manager's interviews, team changes, injury news etc. Much riskier backing Andorra with very little information to go on apart from past results.

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Armenia v Kazakhstan Both Teams To Score @ evens (Paddy Power, Bwin) Armenia quite a potent side on their day, and managed seven in total against Slovakia in the last qualifiers, and four past Andorra too. Under their new coach the away side have managed to net at Turkey, Belgium and twice at Azerbaijan. They appear to be trying to bring through some younger players, and this more youthful setup had a good 5-2 win against Kyrgyzstan last week. I think they can get a goal here.

In this hypothetical scenario - yes' date=' you could say it was still good value based on past statistics. Or you could say it was bad value because you had placed the bet without knowing that the current Andorra team was much improved and was a much bigger threat. Should you have placed the bet anyway? Perhaps. I suppose one thing this highlights is the risk of betting on relatively little known teams like Andorra where it's harder to get up to date information. If we were thinking of backing, say, Norwich v Man City in the Premier League, we'd probably have access to much more up to date information - manager's interviews, team changes, injury news etc. Much riskier backing Andorra with very little information to go on apart from past results.[/quote'] Yes on reflection you're right. There is more than one way to look at it. Agree there is a risk, but I think in the case of Andorra the bookies know even less than we do, which gives us a vital advantage we don't have in Norwich vs Man City.

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 4pts Hungary vs Republic of Ireland - Under 2.5 goals 4/6 Skybet

Ireland have been a good side under Trapattoni but you wonder just how gung ho they will go in this match with less than a week until the tournament. In saying that you wouldn’t think the Hungarians will be too much like full pelt either so I think the extra quality Ireland have will come through. However I’m sure changes will be made so I’m more comfortable taking under 2.5 goals here as neither side are massively prolific at the minute. For a full preview of this match click here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/hungary-vs-republic-of-ireland-betting--ireland-can-head-for-poland-and-ukraine-off-the-back-of-a-low-scoring-match

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Hungary host team of Ireland in this friendly match . Home side come after 2-1 win over Czech Republic in Friday and his coach start to prepare team for World cup qualification ,who is starting in September .Hungary lost just one match (2-1 from Poland) in last 5 games,so they really show some improvement in the game .I expect some new players to be used and more changes in regard of this line .Midfielder Buzjaki will miss the game also for injury .The guests - team of Ireland will play final warm-up match before EURO 2012 were after 6 days they will play against Croatia .Coach Trapatoni probably will try to keep the main players fresh and out of injury concerns ,so this will be chance for young players to take experience .Ireland come after 1-0 win over tough team of Bosnia last week ,which extend his unbeaten run to 11 games ,so they should try to keep morale on a level few days before EURO 2012 finals to start . My recomendation is : Carefull play from Ireland ,which can led to Draw after HT .Good luck to all ! Source: BBC Sport

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 As with previous above posts Im expecting quite a tight low key affair which is used more for sharpness and positivity than it is for a gung ho result and end to end football. Unders is definitely a shout but I fancy an Ireland win anyways. 29/20 on the straight win but Ill take the 5/1 on a Draw at halftime with a fulltime ireland win. One goal should win this and I expect Ireland to nick it. Ireland @ 29/20 Draw/Ireland @ 5/1 Ireland 1-0 @ 7/1 All with Betvictor ( which has a decent layout these days!)

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 If you're really expecting a good Irish defensive performance, the Ireland clean sheet odds of 3.0 with Ladbrokes look good. Not quite so sure myself. Ireland have an excellent defensive record under Trapattoni, but Hungary do score a few goals themselves http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2012/06/04/world/friendlies/hungary/ireland-republic/1256216/

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Hungary vs Ireland Both teams have very experienced coaches (Egervari v Trap) and they're in a good mood before this meeting. Hungary have a home advantage and a great atmosphere in the squad that wants another feast after winning in Prague. Unlike them, the Irish are under more pressure due to the start of the European championship that is coming. So expect many changes for them in the second half (because draw/Ireland is not an option for me). About under 2.5 goals, I'm not sure that it has value. Dzsudzsak (amc/fc, Dinamo M.) is the best player for home team and he will play from start, like as Gyurcso (great talent). Midfielders Hajnal and Buzsaky are out, but Koman (mf, Monaco) is ready. And it's important to say that their best defender Juhasz probably won't play. On the other side, Ireland will go cautiously to win with Keane and Doyle as attackers in a standard formation 4-4-2. But and wingers Duff & McGeady will be dangerous for the goal of Bogdan. He (Bogdan) is still decent goalie, which may also be said for Given, but odds for under 2.5 are worthless (around 1,60) in this friendly game. So I take both teams to score and over 2.5 goals for good odds at local. I see 2:1 for Irish or 2:2. Good luck folks Bogdan - Vanczak, Pinter, Mezsaros, Laczko - Korcsmar, Varga - Gyurcso, Szakaly, Dzsudzsak - Szalai. versus Given - Ward, Dunne, St. Ledger, O'Shea - Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady - Doyle, Keane. BTS & over 2.5 @2.55

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 4pts France (-2 EH) to beat Estonia 11/10 Paddy Power

I think the French are good things in this match. They have won their last two matches and are slowly starting to look like a really dangerous outfit. With the likes of Franck Ribery, Jeremy Menez and Karim Benzema the French have goals in them before the fringe players appear as the match goes on. Ukraine wiped out Estonia 4-0 last Monday and I expect France to do similar to them in this match and so I’ll take them to cover a -2 handicap. For the full preview click here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/france-vs-estonia-betting--france-can-head-to-the-european-championships-off-back-of-big-win

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Russia Under 21 v England C Russia Under 21 squad take on a squad which consists of players from Englands non-league system. The Russian squad consists of professional players plucked from the Russian top flight, some of who were in contention for places at Euro 2012. The England C team contains mainly semi-professional players, including 8 first time call-ups. Squad below: Kenny Davis (Braintree Town FC), Nathan McDonald (GK) (Braintree Town FC), Rory McAuley (Cambridge United FC), Junior Brown (Fleetwood Town FC), Kieron Forbes (Forest Green Rovers FC), Scott Garner (Grimsby Town FC), Michael Coulson (Grimsby Town FC), Simon Ainge (Guiseley FC), Anthony Malbon (Kidderminster Harriers FC), Marvin Johnson (Kidderminster Harriers FC), James Vincent (Kidderminster Harriers FC), Andre Gray (Luton Town FC), Lindon Meikle (Mansfield Town FC), Andrew Owens (Southport FC), Stephen Brogan (Stalybridge Celtic FC), Jonathan Hedge (GK) (Tamworth FC), Joshua Wilson (Vauxhall Motors FC), Ashley Chambers (York City FC). Just kicked off, Russia currently 1.95 in play. Well worth a couple of points. Betting at Bet365 and Betfair.

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Serbia against Sweden in Stockholm... Aleksić (Kahriman in 2nd half) - Subotić, Maksimović, Luković (D. Tošić in 2nd half), Tomić, Petrović, Mijailović (Ignjovski in 2nd half), Obradović - Lazović, Z.Tošić - Lekić (Šćepović in 2nd half). Issakson - Granquist, Mellberg, J. Olsson, Safari - Kallstrom, Wernbloom, Larsson, Elm - Toivonen, Ibrahimović.

4pts France (-2 EH) to beat Estonia 11/10 Paddy Power

I think the French are good things in this match. They have won their last two matches and are slowly starting to look like a really dangerous outfit. With the likes of Franck Ribery, Jeremy Menez and Karim Benzema the French have goals in them before the fringe players appear as the match goes on. Ukraine wiped out Estonia 4-0 last Monday and I expect France to do similar to them in this match and so I’ll take them to cover a -2 handicap. For the full preview click here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/france-vs-estonia-betting--france-can-head-to-the-european-championships-off-back-of-big-win

This will be the fifth game for Estonians in the last 12 days and on the other hand France will play with the best players. I agree with you... Lloris - Debuchy, Rami, Mexès, Evra - A. Diarra, Cabaye, Malouda - Nasri, Benzema, Ribéry. Pareiko - Jaager, Klavan, Rahn, Teniste, Dmitrijev, Kruglov, Vassiljev, Kink, Oper, Saag

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Russia 4 - 0 England

Russia Under 21 v England C Russia Under 21 squad take on a squad which consists of players from Englands non-league system. The Russian squad consists of professional players plucked from the Russian top flight, some of who were in contention for places at Euro 2012. The England C team contains mainly semi-professional players, including 8 first time call-ups. Squad below: Kenny Davis (Braintree Town FC), Nathan McDonald (GK) (Braintree Town FC), Rory McAuley (Cambridge United FC), Junior Brown (Fleetwood Town FC), Kieron Forbes (Forest Green Rovers FC), Scott Garner (Grimsby Town FC), Michael Coulson (Grimsby Town FC), Simon Ainge (Guiseley FC), Anthony Malbon (Kidderminster Harriers FC), Marvin Johnson (Kidderminster Harriers FC), James Vincent (Kidderminster Harriers FC), Andre Gray (Luton Town FC), Lindon Meikle (Mansfield Town FC), Andrew Owens (Southport FC), Stephen Brogan (Stalybridge Celtic FC), Jonathan Hedge (GK) (Tamworth FC), Joshua Wilson (Vauxhall Motors FC), Ashley Chambers (York City FC). Just kicked off, Russia currently 1.95 in play. Well worth a couple of points. Betting at Bet365 and Betfair.

Russia Under 21 v England C Russia Under 21 squad take on a squad which consists of players from Englands non-league system. The Russian squad consists of professional players plucked from the Russian top flight, some of who were in contention for places at Euro 2012. The England C team contains mainly semi-professional players, including 8 first time call-ups. Squad below: Kenny Davis (Braintree Town FC), Nathan McDonald (GK) (Braintree Town FC), Rory McAuley (Cambridge United FC), Junior Brown (Fleetwood Town FC), Kieron Forbes (Forest Green Rovers FC), Scott Garner (Grimsby Town FC), Michael Coulson (Grimsby Town FC), Simon Ainge (Guiseley FC), Anthony Malbon (Kidderminster Harriers FC), Marvin Johnson (Kidderminster Harriers FC), James Vincent (Kidderminster Harriers FC), Andre Gray (Luton Town FC), Lindon Meikle (Mansfield Town FC), Andrew Owens (Southport FC), Stephen Brogan (Stalybridge Celtic FC), Jonathan Hedge (GK) (Tamworth FC), Joshua Wilson (Vauxhall Motors FC), Ashley Chambers (York City FC). Just kicked off, Russia currently 1.95 in play. Well worth a couple of points. Betting at Bet365 and Betfair.
Excellent tip Napoleon S, didn't see it until now. I saw some of the game and Russia looked as though they deserved the win.

A goldmine of a tip. The type that doesn't come around very often, but an awesome find. :ok:clap

4pts France (-2 EH) to beat Estonia 11/10 Paddy Power

FT: France 4 Estonia 0 I saw a lot of this. Estonia started really well and went close in the first 15 minutes. Halfway through the first half, France took the lead, and gradually took control of the game after that. Overall, a good French performance against a surprisingly threatening Estonia, who put up more of a fight in this game than the last time I saw them, against Ukraine.

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Belarus vs Lithuania Under 2.5 @ 1.75 (bet365) Out of Belarus' last 23 games, 20 have featured less than 3 goals. They are one of the most underish sides in European football. They tend to be a thorn in the side of stronger teams, yet rarely put weaker sides to the sword, and occasionally struggle against said teams. Lithuania are certainly a weaker side than them, hence the 1.6 or so on offer for a home win. Lithuania have the same basic tactic of trying to be organised and defensive. It worked recently against Russia, where an under strength team earned a very credible 0-0 draw. They followed this up, however, with a 5-0 drubbing by Latvia. The coach said that he had used the Baltic Cup games vs Latvia and Estonia for experimentation, although a look at the team sheet shows not too many changes from the Russia game. They lost to Estonia 1-0, and will be looking to bounce back here in their last game of the 11/12 season. Lithuania are about 66% unders in the last 2.5/3 years. Both teams have recently acquired new managers. The Lithuanian manager used to manage Hearts and seems to have decent experience. The Belarus manager is lesser known to Western Europeans, although he used to be a striker and said in an interview that he prefers attacking football. He has been promoted from his previous post as U21 manager, where he presided over a side which was quite overish, although U21 football is generally far less cautious than the senior level. All this makes me more cautious for this bet, as it's possible he may try to change the way Belarus play. However, I'd imagine it will take him a while to do this, and this showed in his first game in charge, a typical 0-0 draw against Moldova. Tomorrow's game should be a low key friendly, with neither side full strength, not too much experience in either camp. All things considered, I think the value lies with the unders.

Belarus vs Lithuania Under 2.5 @ 1.75 (bet365) Out of Belarus' last 23 games, 20 have featured less than 3 goals. They are one of the most underish sides in European football. They tend to be a thorn in the side of stronger teams, yet rarely put weaker sides to the sword, and occasionally struggle against said teams. Lithuania are certainly a weaker side than them, hence the 1.6 or so on offer for a home win. Lithuania have the same basic tactic of trying to be organised and defensive. It worked recently against Russia, where an under strength team earned a very credible 0-0 draw. They followed this up, however, with a 5-0 drubbing by Latvia. The coach said that he had used the Baltic Cup games vs Latvia and Estonia for experimentation, although a look at the team sheet shows not too many changes from the Russia game. They lost to Estonia 1-0, and will be looking to bounce back here in their last game of the 11/12 season. Lithuania are about 66% unders in the last 2.5/3 years. Both teams have recently acquired new managers. The Lithuanian manager used to manage Hearts and seems to have decent experience. The Belarus manager is lesser known to Western Europeans, although he used to be a striker and said in an interview that he prefers attacking football. He has been promoted from his previous post as U21 manager, where he presided over a side which was quite overish, although U21 football is generally far less cautious than the senior level. All this makes me more cautious for this bet, as it's possible he may try to change the way Belarus play. However, I'd imagine it will take him a while to do this, and this showed in his first game in charge, a typical 0-0 draw against Moldova. Tomorrow's game should be a low key friendly, with neither side full strength, not too much experience in either camp. All things considered, I think the value lies with the unders.
FT: Belarus 1 Lithuania 1 I saw some of this game. Belarus were the better side overall I thought, having more possession and doing a lot more in attack. Lithuania took the lead against the run of play just before half time (the Belarus keeper looked at fault), and Belarus deservedly equalised 10 minutes from time. Both sides lacked a bit of conviction in attack, so in a way a draw was fair.

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 4pts Argentina to beat Brazil 11/8 Coral

Argentina should be buoyed by their win over Ecuador last weekend and they will always be motivated to beat the likes of Brazil so I would expect them to treat this match seriously. If they do I think they can overrun Brazil in the midfield and then their quality in the forward areas can prove too much and lead the Argentines to a win over the Samba Boys. Full preview here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/argentina-vs-brazil-betting--argentina-can-build-on-their-win-over-ecuador-with-a-friendly-win-over-brazil

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Hong Kong Vs Vietnam Just going to have a small go on vietnam.Eventhough they played barely 48 hours ago against china.I still think if they play their top team…they can get something against Hong kong.Hong kong were poor against singapore in their last game. singapore didn’t even play their full team.Eventhough Hong kong won 1-0,i think vietnam are a totally different kettle of fish.Vietnam is a fast counter attacking team with much more pace to bother them & will attack them at pace..Just going to have a go at Vietnam 0/0.5 @1.85 @ betinternet

Hong Kong Vs Vietnam Just going to have a small go on vietnam.Eventhough they played barely 48 hours ago against china.I still think if they play their top team…they can get something against Hong kong.Hong kong were poor against singapore in their last game. singapore didn’t even play their full team.Eventhough Hong kong won 1-0,i think vietnam are a totally different kettle of fish.Vietnam is a fast counter attacking team with much more pace to bother them & will attack them at pace..Just going to have a go at Vietnam 0/0.5 @1.85 @ betinternet
Honk Kong 1 Vietnam 2 Great call :ok

Re: International Friendlies > 2012 Malaysia Vs Singapore Singapore are missing alot of regulars here today. Haris harun (vice cptain) bahrudin (will miss him on set pieces) Yasir hanapi (bit part player) Shi jiayi (Ankle injury) & all the usual suspects.Such as Ishak(captain)…Amri(Top striker).But he has finally relented & called up veteran 41 year old striker Duric.(has a great record against malaysia) Personally i think this game is going to be tight.Malaysians will be going for it.Singapore will be using duric as a focal point for attack.Singapore is going to play 2 holding midfielders as they usually do away from home.This time alot of experienced players will be in the line up.Singapore coach has already said that he will be taking this match seriously & wants to win the causeway challenge.Singapore has more options up front today then previously.But most of his strikers are typical centre forwards that offer no pace & just straight up down the middle type play.Malaysia will be starting probably the same team as they did in the first leg.But Rajagopal (malaysia coach) is keeping his cards close to his chest.There will be tension in the air as the previous match had crowd trouble after the game due to some dodgy refeereing. i am going to back the unders Under 2.5/3 @1.80 betinternet. (medium stakes)

Malaysia Vs Singapore Singapore are missing alot of regulars here today. Haris harun (vice cptain) bahrudin (will miss him on set pieces) Yasir hanapi (bit part player) Shi jiayi (Ankle injury) & all the usual suspects.Such as Ishak(captain)…Amri(Top striker).But he has finally relented & called up veteran 41 year old striker Duric.(has a great record against malaysia) Personally i think this game is going to be tight.Malaysians will be going for it.Singapore will be using duric as a focal point for attack.Singapore is going to play 2 holding midfielders as they usually do away from home.This time alot of experienced players will be in the line up.Singapore coach has already said that he will be taking this match seriously & wants to win the causeway challenge.Singapore has more options up front today then previously.But most of his strikers are typical centre forwards that offer no pace & just straight up down the middle type play.Malaysia will be starting probably the same team as they did in the first leg.But Rajagopal (malaysia coach) is keeping his cards close to his chest.There will be tension in the air as the previous match had crowd trouble after the game due to some dodgy refeereing. i am going to back the unders Under 2.5/3 @1.80 betinternet. (medium stakes)
FT: 2-0 Good call again kal_Dhillon :ok