** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cheltenham Chat

Re: Cheltenham Chat

i alwyas thought the WE special was around £4 i think the weekly one is the £1.70 edition, so i think the 120 page preview is the dearer one?
The normal Weekender was £2.50 but they have now put it up to £2.70 for the first time this week. This weeks issue focuses on the first two days off the Festival and having just flicked through it there is lots in there. The special Festival Weekender is £2.99 but used to be produced by the Raceform Update makers but off course the two papers merged about a year ago now. Like I say I havent seen a copy anywhere this year so I cant say if its worth getting or not

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking as a Cheltenham regular and live there. Best Mate enclosure is one to stay clear of IMO. Go for Tatts or Club. Parking wise - yes avoid the course. Park in town and walk in.
Thanks mate, and thanks to addpea also, unless I can pick up some cheap tatts tickets outside i'll probably go along and use the Best Mate enclosure and see how it is! Is there anywhere in particular you recommend parking in town?

Re: Cheltenham Chat To be fair you might end up picking up some cheap tickets as apart from the Friday it hasnt sold out which means the touts have to sell them cheaper than you can buy on the gate. Hope you enjoy your day whatever you decide to do.

Thanks mate, and thanks to addpea also, unless I can pick up some cheap tatts tickets outside i'll probably go along and use the Best Mate enclosure and see how it is! Is there anywhere in particular you recommend parking in town?
North Place or Portland Place. Theres about 700-800 spaces there. And its about a 20-30 min walk to the course, up the Evesham Rd. It's likely to still be busy getting out, its the whole of Cheltenham that gets blocked up, not just by the Racecourse. I'm unsure on the maximum time allowed for parking at these locations. But I guess you'll be OK

Re: Cheltenham Chat The touts buy the group save tickets which are a bit cheaper than on the day price. They then sell them at a £5ish premium to the on the day price to people who can't be assed to queue when they see the size of the queue (it moves fast though)

Re: Cheltenham Chat Not what I found a few years back when I got one from a tout which was cheaper than the price on the door. Given there are so many touts looking for business I am sure you can haggle them down to a price below that on the door and if they dont then dont buy it from them.

Where do they usually stock The Weekender? Had a look in Tesco today but couldn't find anything. Had a look in a newsagents too. Just fancied a bit of literature without having to browse the web.
It varies from place to place as some Tescos will stock it and others dont. I would say WH Smiths would be your best bet but I would just check anywhere that sells papers and I am sure you will find one eventually.

It varies from place to place as some Tescos will stock it and others dont. I would say WH Smiths would be your best bet but I would just check anywhere that sells papers and I am sure you will find one eventually.
Cheers mate. Might have a wander into town before racing tomorrow and pick one up somewhere! Roll on Tuesday!

Re: Cheltenham Chat Also a more general question, I don't want to be signing up for websites now only to find they will have even better offers available from Tuesday or maybe even later in the week. Do you think bookmakers will have their best sign up offers on the go now, or will they promote better offers in the coming days?

When I click that link it quicly flashes up something about the offer then it automatically refreshed to the main page. Will this still work? Also I'm sure it says something about only working if you link from Betting Pro, will this link still work? When is it valid until? Thanks!
the offer as finished now mate,just checked

Re: Cheltenham Chat The fact that connections haven't yet decided must mean they are seriously thinking about the Gold Cup as the preferred route; I think they will go for it as the stable has done so before with a novice (ultimately a tragic loss) but this horse has a realistic chance. Personally I think Kauto Star is too old to win the race and Long Run hasn't overly impressed this season. The arguments against Grand Crus are the inexperience factor and the fact the RSA will be easier. The horse has looked a good jumper and if they wait until next season many things could happen within the next 12 months - go for it

Also a more general question' date=' I don't want to be signing up for websites now only to find they will have even better offers available from Tuesday or maybe even later in the week. Do you think bookmakers will have their best sign up offers on the go now, or will they promote better offers in the coming days?[/quote'] Good Point - It could depend on how good the results are for the bookmaker on the Tuesday. I'm keeping my powder dry at the moment - will look about tomorrow and then probably get moving on the Tuesday - I do remember Ladbrokes once adding a point on the SP up to £500!!!!! Don't suppose that'll happen - also remember them offering £100 free bet to new accounts and then doubling that on the Friday to £200! I was gutted as was out of amo! I guess there is no definitive answer but if I had to plump/guess for one day of the 5 (including Monday), I'd probably say the Tuesday would be best.

Re: Cheltenham Chat the bookies do like to get the offers in early and you may find the offers are few and far between come Tuesday, plus the fact that 23 of 27 last year were longer prior to the day of the race, so leave it late at your peril ive got too many accounts but still managed to get some of the free bets on as well for existing customers

the bookies do like to get the offers in early and you may find the offers are few and far between come Tuesday, plus the fact that 23 of 27 last year were longer prior to the day of the race, so leave it late at your peril ive got too many accounts but still managed to get some of the free bets on as well for existing customers
Marginally relevent - but The Racing Post goes up to £1.90 and £2.20 next week! :\

Marginally relevent - but The Racing Post goes up to £1.90 and £2.20 next week! :\
A disgrace, i dont mind paying an extra 30p but it shouldnt happen to be honest. In fact im sure i need it with ATR site, RP site and many others to look through I used to buy the RP for form etc but not required now, i dont need the race cards , i dont need thier trends, pricewise doesnt interest me, i think the only pages i acually use for Cheltenham are the festival form page and the trainer quotes which can be mis leading think i will use the 2 quid for more bets!!

Re: Cheltenham Chat Not related to the above, but I'm completely terrified re: the grand crus situation. Did an accumulator back in Feb of Zarkandar in the Betfair Hurdle and then HF, GC (In the RSA), BB and LR. Effectively, what i'd consider bankers(aside from the fly and long run). Would be a disappointment to have won the first leg of it in early february and then for it to drop dead because they go for the gold cup. Pretty sure i'm probably the only punter in Britain wanting it to bottle out of a gold cup run, so will be keeping a firm eye across all sources tomorrow when the decision is supposed to be made. On a less nervy note, we're doing a work sweepstake with the prize going to the person who picks the highest price winner. Only get 1 pick per day. Any ideas? Got Golden Chieftain at 33/1 marked out as my first pick on opening day, Especially if it runs in the last of the day.

Re: Cheltenham Chat Anyone know how many rides Andrew Lynch has for the week? I know he has 2 cracking chances in Sizing Europe and Sizing Australia so was just wondering if he has any other big chances

Re: Cheltenham Chat just want to say Good luck to everyine punting this week. I'm so excited by this meeting as it dominates my year and is the only meeting that gives me goosebumps 1 winner can make all the diference so stay with it, and enjoy

just want to say Good luck to everyine punting this week. I'm so excited by this meeting as it dominates my year and is the only meeting that gives me goosebumps 1 winner can make all the diference so stay with it, and enjoy
you too bud..

just want to say Good luck to everyine punting this week. I'm so excited by this meeting as it dominates my year and is the only meeting that gives me goosebumps 1 winner can make all the diference so stay with it, and enjoy
The Spread on how many hours sleep I get tonight is currently 2-3. If forced I'd be a seller! Just downloding Timeform's previews so that's another couple of hours done! On a negative note - why do Bookmakers choose the eve of Cheltenham to make me jump through hoops providing inside leg measurements and various forms of ID?! You can have it after Cheltenham but don;t tie my cash up while your security shuts down for the night!!! Sorry - rant over - good luck all...