** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2012 Six Nations

Mirage

This tournament gets underway on Saturday and it will be interesting for a lot of different reasons. England's new-look squad and Wales facing France in Cardiff are just 2 big talking points coming into the Championship. First round of fixtures are: [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR] [TH][/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Saturday 4 February 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]France v Italy (14:30 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]1.05 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]51 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]22 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.74 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 6][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Scotland v England (17:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]2.6 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]24 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]1.76 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]99.45 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 6][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Sunday 5 February 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Ireland v Wales (15:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]1.57 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]26 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]3 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.82 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: 2012 Six Nations Not sure whether I will have the time to in midweek so I am going to take my outrights now. Here they are: Tournament Winner: 5/10pts France to win Six Nations - 7/4 with BlueSquare France have been installed as favourites for this Championship by the bookies and rightly so in my opinion. As far as fixtures go this time around, they could hardly have wished for a better line-up. They have Ireland and England at home and only have to go to Wales on the last weekend when they could already have the 1st spot tied up. France have a new coach now and that is a massive bonus to anyone thinking of backing them in any shape or form. The departure of Lievremont means the constant chopping and changing of starting line-ups from game to game should disappear as the new man, Philippe Saint-Andre, has said the main target is to address the inconsistencies they have been associated with over the years. Their squad hasn't changed a great deal since the World Cup so that means they still have that experience within their ranks to perform when asked questions. The scrum is still powerful and if the backs can perform with some consistency, for once, they will be even harder to beat than usual. With the new coach coming in the confidence in the squad will lift a great deal and the stories throughout the World Cup of in-house arguements between staff and players will be long behind them. A home game against Italy is the ideal starter match, espescially with new management, as any rustiness will be out the sytem before the crunch match at home to the Irish. That game could decide the Six Nations this year but I would have the French as massive favourites against a side without O'Driscoll and only a week after a tough match against Wales. Harinordoquy, Dusautoir, Servat, Clerc and Medard are just a few of this squad who have proven themselves at this level and I full expect them to do it again. Considering the unrest within the camp at the World Cup, they did fantastically well to get to the final and performed admirably in that match. They should improve further. England have temporary management, an inexperienced squad in terms of playing together, a new captain and a lot improving to do in this tournament so can't really be considered as winners. For a team with that many question marks hanging over them the current odds don't offer any value at all to me. Ireland are without O'Driscoll but still come into this with a good chance. However, they have a tought first match at home to Wales and then have to go to France straight after that. That is hardly a great schedule to start with. Wales, for me, are far too short. They have lost a try machine in Shane Williams, have Wyn Jones injured and also fitness concerns hanging over Rhys Priestland. They also have to convince me they know how to get over the line in tough matches. They had a good World Cup but still missed opportunites against France, Australia and South Africa to show they have that killer instinct within. They have tough matches at Ireland and England as well as that final weekend game at home to France. They could be out of the running before that last match, though. Italy and Scotland? Not enough quality, again. This will be a competitive Championship, as always, but I can't see many things to put me off having a solid stake on the French doing the business. Nice odds too as I think they should be around the 6/4 mark. Total Italy Wins: 4/10pts Italy to win 0 matches - 6/5 with Paddy Power There isn't a great deal to say about this selection. The Italians have to go to France, Ireland and Wales and I fully expect them to lose against all those sides. They have a home match against England but, despite England's problems, I think the quality of the back's will prove the difference and that will mean they lose again. This hinges on the final match at home to Scotland for me. The early odds on Scotland for that match are 5/6 and I think that is fair so having 6/5 on Italy losing that match too certainly represents some value. That should be a close match, hence the stake. Italy have definitely improved over the last few years but lack quality in the backs when they need a couple of options to finish moves off. Their forwards will be a good match for all sides and could prove the difference at home to Scotland, but I think these odds are good enough to have a bet on them losing all 5 games. May be back for a dabble on the Top Tryscorer market later in the week.....

Re: 2012 Six Nations I'm not sure why you think 6/5 on Italy not winning is good value. Why don't you just bet on their opposition in each match. I just did a quick calculation, the accumulated odds using the early prices would produce odds of just over 2.5. You'd probably get a better price nearer the time too as you would bet on the best price available. A lot hinges on that Scotland game though, if you think that price is going to shorten nearer the time then you're probably right to take the bet. Was similar to Djokovic's Australian Open win, think he was 5/4 pre tournament but if you had backed him in every round you would have got equivalent odds of nearly 2/1.

Re: 2012 Six Nations Yeah, the reason behind me taking the 6/5 now is i don't want to risk the odds on Italy shortening closer to that game. Scotland could go in to that on the back of 4 losses too, meaning Italy may well end up favourites for the win. You have made a good point though. Sometimes it works to play it like that, sometimes it doesn't.

Re: 2012 Six Nations My last outright will be a small stake in the Top Try Scorer market. Here's the selection..... Top Tryscorer: 1/10pts E/W Maxime Medard to be Top Try Scorer - 16/1 with BetFred (1/4 odds 1-4) When looking at this market I look for players who I consider to be guaranteed starters, in a side that will pick up their fair amount of wins and also in a team that has some good opportunities at home to score big points. Maxime Medard ticks all those boxes and is a nice price too. Medard is an established international player these days and can play on either wing or at full back. He has scored 9 tries in 28 appearances for his country and, for me, was one of the more consistent performers for France at the recent World Cup. He scored in that tournament when playing against England and should really have got himself a few more but his overall play was pretty solid. When at full back he is one of the best around at picking up unplayable positions so teams will have a hard time keeping him out of the game. As I said in my outright, I think France will do very well in this Championship so they should have teams on the back foot a lot over the next few weeks. Medard should be a starter against Italy and that is the ideal game for France with it being at home against one of the weaker sides, therefore allowing them to put in a good first performance under the new management. Medard will always be a danger and, in a competitive market, I think he is well worth a small stake at these rather large odds. He definitely offers more value than his fellow countrymen who are shorter in the betting.

Re: 2012 Six Nations This is a tough weekend to start with. It is tempting to leave it alone completely as a few teams are coming into this with new coaching set-ups and there are a lot of debutants about. However, I have seen enough to tempt me into getting involved with one game and I could be back with some for the others later in the day or week. Saturday: France vs Italy 4/10pts France (-18 points) to beat Italy - 10/11 with BlueSquare This is a big match for both sides as both teams will look to impress with new coaches in charge. However, I do feel France will get this years Championship underway with an easy victory in front of an expectant home crowd. There are some debutants in this match and probably the most interesting is Clermont's centre Wesley Fofana. He is an exciting young prospect who has the potential to be a key figure for France over the coming years. The fact he will parter a Clermont teammate in the centre will help him a lot as far as settling in goes and it would be no surprise to see him cap his debut with a try. The French haven't changed a great deal since their World Cup Final loss and that means they still have a powerful pack able to compete well with the Italians and maybe even dominate it. This match should be won by their backs, though. Medard, Clerc and the centres are a class above anything the Italians have to offer and if Italy continue to show the same holes here, as they did in New Zealand, they should be punished. Jacques Brunel has a big job to do with Italy and his main focus won't be on games like this, but instead on turning those close home defeats into wins. He has, like Saint-Andre, brought in some uncapped players but that shouldn't make a great deal of difference to the way they play. They will look to make this a battle of the forwards but in doing so they will leave gaps all over the pitch - just as they have done away from home over the past few years. I expect Italy to start well but if France get an early try they could fall to pieces. Italy still need to improve to compete in these sort of games but, as I said earlier, these won't be their main focus. France will want to put a marker down and that should be possible because of the huge gulf in class between both sets of backs. Medium stake because both sides are coming into this still experimenting with tactics and line-ups.

Re: 2012 Six Nations Scotland vs England: I dont think either of these sides will perform well in this years six nations. However, saying that England are going through a transition period at the moment with a new manager and players. And an away game to Scotland is not a place where you are going to start gelling well, England have not won at Murrayfield since 2004. The weather will also play a part with very poor weather expected in Edinburgh which will probably suit the Scottish more. Selection: Scotland to win - 11/8 William Hill

Re: 2012 Six Nations

Saturday: France vs Italy 4/10pts France (-18 points) to beat Italy - 10/11 with BlueSquare
France won by 18, gutted. France missed a conversion 5 minutes from the end and that proved the difference between winning and losing this bet.

Scotland vs England: I dont think either of these sides will perform well in this years six nations. However, saying that England are going through a transition period at the moment with a new manager and players. And an away game to Scotland is not a place where you are going to start gelling well, England have not won at Murrayfield since 2004. The weather will also play a part with very poor weather expected in Edinburgh which will probably suit the Scottish more. Selection: Scotland to win - 11/8 William Hill
Didnt watch it but from what I heard Scotland were unlucky. They dominated the game in many parts it was just luck on the day that gave them the defeat

Didnt watch it but from what I heard Scotland were unlucky. They dominated the game in many parts it was just luck on the day that gave them the defeat
That's very true. They started slowly first 15 minutes when England was far better team, but after, dominated the whole 1st half. In the second made one big mistake and had to pay for it. Because of the huge defensive style of both teams and lack of finishing effort by the home team, they unfortunately lost. That's the sport not always better team wins. Today I'm taking the home team for 1.5. Revenge + big big injure problems in the guest are making the difference. GL.

Re: 2012 Six Nations Round 2 is this weekend. [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR] [TH=class: firstColumn]Saturday 11 February 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Italy v England (16:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]4.8 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]44 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]1.29 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.63 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 6][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]France v Ireland (20:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]1.32 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]40 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]4.5 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.48 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 6][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Sunday 12 February 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Wales v Scotland (15:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]1.17 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]50 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]7.5 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.80 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: 2012 Six Nations I think @4,5 bet365 is a good price for the home-side after looking both opener last weekend. Ok Italy lost in France, England won in Scotland, but we could see a agil Italy on the one hand and a fortunate event in english eyes on the other hand. England played without creativity, more pick & go than pass-play & was in fortune. Only their skills in ruck and their aggressivity after up & under impressed me in their game. If Italy is able to control Ashton´s space, make safe kicks under pressure & create overlaps on the left side like Scotland they could win the first time over England and make a similar sensation like against France in last campaign. I believe in it so my pick is Italy @4,50 bet 365 3/10 Italy +8,5 @1,91 bet 365 6/10

Re: 2012 Six Nations I'll be back with selections for the other 2 games when I hear team news but will take one for the England game now: Saturday: Italy vs England 3/10pts Italy (+8 points) to beat England - Evens with Bet365 This is the first real chance for the new Italian set-up to put down a marker and I think they have every chance of pushing England close on Saturday. Against France, the Italians played ok and had good possession but lacked the cutting edge so not much has changed in that department. We all know about how good their forwards are but for them to give as many problems to the French pack as they did will give them a lot of confidence coming into this match. Their starting line-up has been improved with the inclusions Bortolami and Canale so you would have to be hopeful that the individual errors that did for them in the first match will be cut down when there are more experienced heads about. That attacking style they played against France was encouraging but the errors led to counter-attacking tries. They beat France at home last year to once again prove how good they can be on home soil. England have named the same starting line-up this week as they had against Scotland but to have a chance of winning and covering this line they need to show major improvement. The Scots dominated them for long periods last Saturday and had they been up against a side like France, Ireland or Wales they would have been punished over and over again. England never created anything - one chance I recall with the try coming from an opposition mistake - but defended well. They will have to defend well for long periods again here but when on the ball need to make Italy work. They don't have the creativity of a France but do have players who can finish so it's up to Hodgson to create those opportunities. If he does, England could win by 10+, but having a relatively inexperienced centre pairing makes me think we won't see too much in chances made. The likes of Dowson and Robshaw will be tested by capable opposition and if they find it difficult the whole of the English pack will have trouble containing the fearsome Italians. Italy have recorded some good scalps at home in recent years and this is the perfect time to be playing England. They could scrape a win but at these odds I will take them to stay within 8 points.

Re: 2012 Six Nations [TABLE]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD]Rugby Union [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD]Italy v England [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD]Italy +8 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD]10/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD]11/02/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD]Bet365 @ 2.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD]I think there is value in this handicap. I was tempted to back Italy in a straight bet as i think they have a golden chance to beat the English here but i sided with the 8 point start as a safety net. Italy got well beat by France in Paris last week, but at 50 minutes the score was only 15-9 to France, they put up a great display, played entertaining rugby, looked full of confidence, had no fear and now back in the Stadio Olimpico they will fancy their chances against the new-look English side. One thing Italy do very well is keep the ball and with a lot of possession at home England are in for a tough afternoon. Aironi lock Bortolami will replace Van Zyl which has been a shock to most people as Van Zyl was brilliant v France and there has been no mention of an injury. Canale also comes in for Sgarbi. The Italian players believe they will beat England in this match, Canale expressed his opinion to the media and is full of beans. To put it mildly, England were terrible against Scotland. How they won the game is any man's guess. Scotland bossed the game through-out, England gave away 9 penalties that the Scots could not capitalise on. England are full of young new faces, they have not gelled yet, and the last time England played in Rome they won 17-12, bear in mind England are much weaker now and Italy are that bit stronger, i think Italy +8 is a great bet at even money. [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 2][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD]Rugby Union [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD]France v Ireland [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD]Ireland +9 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD]10/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD]11/02/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD]Bet365 @ 2.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD]The Irish are disappointed after losing to Wales in Dublin last weekend, but Ireland always play better when they are the underdogs and although France should win this match, i think it will be tighter than some people think. France were impressive in the second half against Italy and Ireland have only won in France once since 1972, a bad statistic. Ireland is an ageing team and an injection of youth is needed into the squad, but they still have the players to make it a tough game for the French tomorrow night. The pitch is apparently going to be in a terrible state, it may be rock hard as freezing temperatures are expected, which in turn may interrupt the free-flowing style of rugby that France play. The pitch does not have underground heating. This match will hinge on the line-out, where Ireland usually do very well. O'Connell and O'Callaghan usually are giants in the line-outs, and in my opinion Ireland have a brilliant line-out, so there is hope. I expect France to win, but i think Ireland will give a hardened challange and will fancy Ireland to stay within the 9 points. Wishful thinking? We'll see, but i could never back against the boys in green. [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 2][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: 2012 Six Nations Saturday: France vs Ireland 5/10pts France (-8 points) to beat Ireland - Evens with Bet365 This is a big test for both sides - for different reasons. France need to back up their good showing against Italy with another good performance if they are to try and get rid of the 'inconsistent' tag that they have been labelled with over the years. Ireland need a win to rescue their campaign but this is no easy task, as they have found out in the past - only 1 win in Paris is 40 years. I think France will get what they need. They showed the usual flair against Italy and also had a pretty solid defence despite letting the Italians get in to double figures. The forwards looked as good as ever whilst the likes of Malzieu and Fofana slotted in to the side with ease and showed their attacking qualities with frequent bursts through the opposition line. Clerc, Rougerie and Medard have been around long enough for us to know just how good they can be. I worry for Ireland here because, again, they don't look convincing in any area of their side. The game against Wales was probably a one-off in terms of excitement but I felt that they always looked like conceding tries if the opposition stepped it up a notch. Keith Earls returns but they are still missing O'Driscoll so the pressure on Earls to come in and put in a performance may be too much. He needs to come in and make an impact but he alone won't solve their creativity problems and stamp out the odd schoolboy mistake when the team is defending. This is the ideal time for France to play Ireland and, whilst I expect it to be a good game, I think that they could run away with this if they start off positively.

Re: 2012 Six Nations Italy should have won that game, their kicking was abysmal and they gave away a ridiculously soft try. England have won 2 games now that they should have lost both. Wales and France will beat them easily. Well done also Mirage, handicap was the way to go.

Re: 2012 Six Nations Ireland + 10.5/6 with stan james is my shout,expecting ireland to finish well within the handicap especially if ireland can get the first points on the board ,as a previous poster said ireland play well when underdogs,ive had a very good day on the soccer and hope ireland can put the icening on the cake.B.O.L.

Re: 2012 Six Nations Agree with you Aidymac, England were far from convincing yet again. Good to see us amongst the winners :ok In France the whole event was a complete farce. The build-up all week has been about whether the game will actually take place yet they left it until 10 minutes before kick-off to call it off. They should have called it off a few days ago as the weather forecast hasn't been promising at any stage, and it would have saved both sets of fans the trip.

Re: 2012 Six Nations It disgusts me Mirage. How on earth could they not see this coming? If the rugby association had any empathy for the fans, flight costs would be re-embursed.. A family of 4 from Ireland to go to the match cost €2,000. Disgrace...

Re: 2012 Six Nations +3pts for the day means i'm -1pt fo the tournament so far. I am going to get involved in tomorrow's match and hopefully end the weekend well. Sunday: Wales vs Scotland 5/10pts Wales (-11 points) to beat Scotland - 10/11 with BoyleSports (available at Evens with Ladbrokes) I think this line should be around the 14 point mark so to find -11 offered is a great bonus to me. Wales surprised me last week by coming away from the game in Ireland with a victory in the bag - a victory they deserved. They went there with a few injury doubts but in the end it was the youth that lit up the game and that was summed up by George North's overall involvement. He is the man to step into Shane Williams' shoes and it doesn't seem as though it has fazed him one bit. The likes of Warburton, Faletau, Davies and Priestland are all still there and will be starting this game - each of them have a big role to play in the nations future. Also, each of them are all great attacking threats and know how to defend so the spine of the team looks good. Playing at the Millenium, against a struggling Scotland side, it is the ideal time for them to stamp their authority on the Championship further. Scotland come here in all sorts of trouble. They played ok against England when it came to possession and territory but they don't ever look as though they will score a try. They have struggled in that department for a while and, when watching from the comfort of my own home, even I can predict what they are going to do in the opposition 22. Therefore, it must be one of the easiest attacks in international Rugby to defend against. Dan Parks retired immediately after that game so it is far from ideal having to bring in a new nuber 10. They make a lot of basic errors and that doesn't seem like stopping any time soon. I can't see Scotland providing much of an attacking threat so their only hope is to turn this into a forwards-based game. That could work at home but not against this Wales side who are playing with a lot of confidence, and have the likes of North, Faletau and Halfpenny who can produce something out of nothing.

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD]Rugby Union [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD]Wales v Scotland [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD]Scotland +13 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD]10/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD]12/02/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD]Blue Square @ 1.91 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD]Wales will win this match surely. But i saw enough positives from Scotland's performance against England to suggest thay can stay within a 13 point handicap against Wales. Scotland were hungry, determined and organised. What they lacked was focus and class in the final quarter of the pitch. Wales were good against Ireland, and they deserved the win in Dublin. But now they are big favourites, which is a differne ttype of pressure. Scotland have nothing to lose, and they can give anybody a great game, i think there is a good chance they will stay inside the handicap. [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 2][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: 2012 Six Nations Happy with the Spreads this weekend. I think France will easily cover the 6 point spread against Scotland, even if THAT French team turns up. They looked good against Italy and with that game under their belt and a big recovery I think they will be fighting fresh and could tear Scotland Apart. Although I think England Wales will be close as do the likes of Paddy Power with a 2 point spread I think Wales could win by the odd try and cover the 2 point spread comfortably. They look very strong and are going to push on after an impressive World Cup Campaign, there is also that added incentive of clinching the triple crown. Double:(3 units) Wales -2 @ 1.9 Paddypower.com France -6 @ 1.9 Paddypower.com