** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan

kevshat

The second running of the Sky Shootout takes place in Blackpool this weekend. It's not necessarily an event for match betting but who knows what pops up. At 16/1 the field in the outright market I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in the outright market particularly with the event designed to attract the non-regular snooker fan. Fire away chaps :ok.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Looking forward to it again. For everyone's enjoyment, I'll be there on both the Friday night & Saturday afternoon, front row like last year! Agree regarding the big prices, who would have predicted a Nigel Bond v Rob Milkins final last year? Crazy.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan

Looking forward to it again. For everyone's enjoyment, I'll be there on both the Friday night & Saturday afternoon, front row like last year! Agree regarding the big prices, who would have predicted a Nigel Bond v Rob Milkins final last year? Crazy.
And if anyone did predict it, let me know I'll be on whatever your on this year!

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan For info, World Snooker have released a statement relating to "unusual betting patterns" in this weekend's Shootout match between Matthew Selt and Joe Jogia.

The WPBSA have been made aware, by bookmakers, of unusual betting patterns on the match due to take place at the Snooker Shoot Out in Blackpool on Saturday 28th January 2012 between Joe Jogia and Matthew Selt. An unusually high number of bets have been placed on Selt to win the match. The matter has been referred to Nigel Mawer, Head of the WPBSA's Integrity Unit. WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson said: "Maintaining the integrity of snooker is essential to protect the sport. Working with our partners we will take all necessary steps to establish what has taken place and take appropriate action."
http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2587950,00.html There are unconfirmed reports circulating that Jogia has now pulled out of the tournament due to illness. I'm not sure what to make of this to be honest. The Shootout format probably makes it the easiest tournament to indulge in a bit of fiddling and this seems to be a similar tale to last year's Jimmy Michie v Marcus Campbell encounter. When the accusations arose (after the match in this instance), Michie announced his retirement and World Snooker found no grounds to take the matter further. It'll probably end up as no more than a minor distraction to the weekend's entertainment, but it's worth posting here as I suspect most firms will void any bets on the match, given the WPBSA's statment. Betfair, it seems, have no such scruples and Selt's price has shortened from an initial 1.8 to 1.54 as I type.

For info, World Snooker have released a statement relating to "unusual betting patterns" in this weekend's Shootout match between Matthew Selt and Joe Jogia. http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2587950,00.html There are unconfirmed reports circulating that Jogia has now pulled out of the tournament due to illness. I'm not sure what to make of this to be honest. The Shootout format probably makes it the easiest tournament to indulge in a bit of fiddling and this seems to be a similar tale to last year's Jimmy Michie v Marcus Campbell encounter. When the accusations arose (after the match in this instance), Michie announced his retirement and World Snooker found no grounds to take the matter further. It'll probably end up as no more than a minor distraction to the weekend's entertainment, but it's worth posting here as I suspect most firms will void any bets on the match, given the WPBSA's statment. Betfair, it seems, have no such scruples and Selt's price has shortened from an initial 1.8 to 1.54 as I type.
I'm always intrigued as to what is 'an unusually high number of bets' because surely they don't take many bets on a one frame, 10 minute match :loon

I'm always intrigued as to what is 'an unusually high number of bets' because surely they don't take many bets on a one frame' date=' 10 minute match :loon[/quote'] Yeah, I can't imagine they take much on the individual matches, but I guess that's why an irregular patterns show up pretty quickly. £2,700 matched on Betfair now, way more than any other 1st round tie, but I'd hazard a guess most of that went on after the WPBSA statement.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Jogia now replaced by Rod Lawler:ok Anyway, onto the selections and, as previously mentioned, this is purely an event for a few speculative outrights. No matter what, I ain't backing Nigel Bond but I am taking 5 at decent EW prices in the hope that at least 1 reaches the last 4 & hopefully goes on to lift the title. S.Maguire to win Sky Shootout, 1pt EW @ 33/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 odds 1-4) Mags is such a frustrating player that this event with its single frame format may just play into his hands. Without doubt, he has the ability and is one of the heaviest scorers in the game when he's on his game. I think that, all too often, the pressure gets to him and he underperforms but in this more relaxed environment, I think he'll just get on and play his natural attacking game. On paper, he seems to have a nice, opener facing Anthony McGill and from there on in, it's a random draw. Has been playing some brilliant stuff on the PTC circuit and, if he can repeat that, he might just have a good run this weekend. S.Lee to win Sky Shootout, 1pt EW @ 66/1 Boylesports (1/4 odds 1-4) Now into the top 16, Stephen Lee is finally producing the snooker he did a few years back. Again, is one of the heaviest scorers in the game and is a superb potter. He's another player that has been going very well on the PTC circuit and, on his day, is capable of beating the very best snooker has to offer, even more so when it's just a 1 frame shootout. Can score quick and, as already mentioned, can win a frame in a single visit so his style should be very much suited to Blackpool. He also has an opener which could have been much harder and it is expected that he will dispose of Peter Lines. J.Lisowski to win Sky Shootout, 1pt EW @ 80/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 odds 1-4) Rookie of the Year and is one of 2 young guns I'm taking to having a great weekend. This young lad has such a promising future in the game that, at 80/1, it's almost impossible to leave him out of calculations. I do feel the pressure of expectancy has caught up with him a little bit but I'm certain he'll be looking forward to this where he can just play his natural potting, attacking game. These young players have very little fear and he has quite a tough opener facing 7 time World Champ, Stephen Hendry. Hendry is nowhere near the player of old and prefers to concentrate on his commentating duties nowadays so Lisowski certainly has a great chance. A win over the Scot, though, could do wonders for his confidence so it's that hope that I cling to in taking this big EW price. J.Jones to win Sky Shootout, 1pt EW @ 80/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 odds 1-4) The 2nd of my young guns, I'm taking Welshman Jamie Jones to finally fulfil his tag of the next Mark Williams or Matthew Stevens. Starts against Adrian Gunnell, a match I fully expect him to win, and from there the tournament really opens up with the random draw. Sticking with the theme of good potters with a natural attacking instinct, Jones is probably the most speculative of the team of 5 but he's shown enough to suggest he's capable of taking out anyone that comes his way. This season in the PTC's, he's recorded wins over the likes of Graeme Dott (twice), Ricky Walden, and Matthew Stevens, so I don't believe he'll be overawed. I'm hoping that his first visit here will be a fruitful one. A.Hamilton to win Sky Shootout, 1pt EW @ 80/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-4) The Sheriff of Pottingham is my Nigel Bond! Hamilton is a funny player; on his day, he can beat anyone but doesn't produce the goods enough to be a solid betting proposition in normal every day events. Although not renowned as a flair player, he's certainly someone that can score well and when his game head is on, he can go for a while without looking like missing a ball. I strongly believe this setup will suit him and he, likes Lisowski, can score a big confidence boost if he can dispose of his first round opponent, the legend that is Jimmy White. Has some solid form this season, with victories over Ding, Maguire, O'Sullivan, Robertson & Murphy. Made the last 16 here before succumbing to Marcus Campbell but I'm hoping he can a few rounds further this time.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan M Dunn 100/1 Most firms A Higginson 80/1 Stan James In what is basically a coin toss event you realistically would like to see around 63/1 for the field. Therefore as proved last year the value lies in picking players at a bigger price than 63/1. M Dunn is a capable player on his day and reached the quarter finals last year. his kidney stones health issues are now behind him as he showed with his recent 147 break. Ive always rated Higginson who is also a member of the 147 club. He hasnt broken through into the top 16 as I expected but is still a very capable player on his day. He proved this last September when he beat Higgins in the final of the PTC event 5. Good luck to antone having a bet. :hope

M Dunn 100/1 Most firms A Higginson 80/1 Stan James In what is basically a coin toss event you realistically would like to see around 63/1 for the field. Therefore as proved last year the value lies in picking players at a bigger price than 63/1. M Dunn is a capable player on his day and reached the quarter finals last year. his kidney stones health issues are now behind him as he showed with his recent 147 break. Ive always rated Higginson who is also a member of the 147 club. He hasnt broken through into the top 16 as I expected but is still a very capable player on his day. He proved this last September when he beat Higgins in the final of the PTC event 5. Good luck to antone having a bet. :hope
I agree, im considering being the bookie and laying everyone on betfair (not literally :lol, i fell for that before), eg there are plenty of mugs that backed Trump at 18.00 and the deviation is sooo high skill is irrelevant, its really how the player feels on the day and how he performs! Ill be laying everyone thats under 30/1. Lets hope the field comes through

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan I'm taking 5 outrights this weekend too. Won't be no match bets unless something stupid pops up. Enjoyed this tournament last year and looking forward to watching a fair bit of it this weekend. 1.5pts ew J.Trump to win Sky Shootout 20/1 Boylesports (1/4 1-4) Judd Trump is perfectly set up for this game I think. He's attacking, he plays his shots and he's quick enough when he's doing it. He fits the bill for me. He wants to entertain and this is an environment designed for entertainers. Having played in the Premier League he's had a bit of extra experience in the shootout rules which can be no bad thing when all is said and done. He's got a bit of a stinker of a first round draw in John Higgins but if he can come through that then with no Ronnie, in this format he should be one of the favourites whoever he is playing. Keeping Judd off the table is going to be so tough with the way he pots and he can score points quickly if he's behind in a frame too. If the draw goes nicely then I think Judd and his naughty snooker can go very well this weekend. 1pt ew M.Gould to win Sky Shootout 40/1 Skybet (1/4 1-4) Martin Gould is another player who should have a decent weekend here. He won Power Snooker back in November so he's no alien to changing to the different concepts and he's another player who can get himself in from distance and take control of the table. Gould is a heavy scorer and can put frames to bed in one visit which is ideally what you want here. He can also score quickly if he's behind and when he needs to take on a long pot he has a technique which will make him go close more often than not. His Power Snooker experience will have given him the belief he can win these tournaments where the crowd get a bit rowdy and his personality is of someone who will enjoy the banter. At 40/1 with a first round game against Ebdon for whom this format shouldn't suit, I think the Pinner Potter is worth a bet this weekend. 1pt ew M.Holt to win Sky Shootout 66/1 Bet365 (1/4 1-4) Michael Holt is having a decent season with a win in a PTC event and a number of other good runs and he definitely has the personality to lap up the banter with the crowd so I would be surprised if he didn't go well this weekend. It's a chance to make some serious dosh for what is effectively an hour's work to win it so I expect Holt to take it serious and if he brings the form he's had all season with him then there's no reason why he can't go far. He's another quick scorer and a heavy scorer and he's not adverse to getting in from distance. The Nottingham man is another who ticks all the boxes and at 66/1 is well worth an investment this weekend. 1pt ew T.Ford to win Sky Shootout 100/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-4) Tom Ford is almost the ideal player for this. Probably isn't where he needs to be tactically to win tournaments or go deep in them and improve his ranking but he can pot them from anywhere and when he's in he can score very heavily. He won PTC11 recently beating Trump, Dott and Gould along the way and was unlucky to run into eventual runner up Robert Milkins in this tournament last year. He also fits my profile in that he can pot from distance, score heavily and quickly and he's in decent form coming in and with a bit of luck with the draw he could make a bit of a mockery of his 100/1 quote over the course of this weekend. 0.5pts ew M.Dunn to win Sky Shootout 100/1 Bet365 (1/4 1-4) Mike Dunn is another player playing well. As Tadley says, his kidney stone problems are a thing of the past and he's gone well in the last few PTC tournaments including hitting a 147 and is generally back in decent form. He's another long potter who scores well when he's in and having made the quarter finals here last year before losing to Ronnie O'Sullivan, he knows what this tournament is all about. He's a comedic character who will like the banter with the crowd and he can play a bit too. The youngster Michael White is a tricky first round opponent but if he comes past that the draw will open up and he scores as well as most. He fits the criteria I'm after this weekend and so I'll chance my arm on Dunn at 100/1.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Enjoyed this tournament alot last time out. Agree that its toss of a coin stuff, need to have a bet to keep interest, so my tactic on first night is to go with £5 stake on each individual match, back the second favourite for the better value and if both players are exactly same odds then literaly toss a coin. Good Luck

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Was there tonight & going back for tomorrow afternoon's session. A cracking evening and a great atmosphere despite the usual d1ckheads trying to spoil it. Highlights were the introduction of Jimmy White (what a reception he received), Michael Holt finally potting a ball, the Williams wink followed by the Nugget's middle finger response and the fact all 3 of my outrights who played tonight won. Kev, Gould looks to hold a fine chance. Pots really well but his tendency to go for everything worries me a little. Liked the look of Tom Ford, thought that match with Jimmy Robertson was probably one of the best of the evening. Not sure if it came through on TV though but Ford was limping really badly. Hope it doesnt affect him too much. Roll on tomorrow, looking forward to the Lisowski-Hendry match.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Yeah I agree mate. Gould is perhaps a bit too all or nothing which is why he doesn't go deep in ranking events but in events like this if the luck is with him he should go close a la Power Snooker. Tom Ford is another who falls into that category. Hamilton looked very good for you given that he played in the most hostile atmosphere that has to bode well. Heavy scorers have to do well in this you would think because the trend has been both players getting chances even in 10 minutes so the ones who score the heaviest when their chance comes will win. Hamilton, Gould and Ford are all capable of doing that. Enjoy tomorrow mate, and bag that front row seat again ;).

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Aye, front row seat it is. The lad loved it, got 15 autographs on the night from the likes of Selby, Higgins, Dott, Jimmy White, Williams, Steve Davis, Maguire, etc. Superb seats for him, looks like we'll be getting there early tomorrow too!;)

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Another 30 autographs for the little lad today:D Great day today, I actually think that the quality was a little better today. Drago was immense, the most impressive in the first round. Liang Wenbo looked pretty decent too. Good win for Mike Dunn (for a few on here) but he will need to step up tonight, whilst of my 2, Jones won easy enough and played ok, whilst Lisowski was very disappointing...he had his chances.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan I'm actually going to get involved with 3 match bets tonight. S.Hendry to beat G.Greene, 4pts @ 5/6 Stan James I'm taking the 7 times World Champion here. Played really quite well against Jack Lisowski today and looked at ease with his game. Potted very well indeed and would have won easier than the 50pt margin had he not fouled when inadvertently moving a red whilst potting the green. Gerard Greene struggled to get past Jamie Burnett, 36-27, and he can count himself a little fortunate too on the basis that Burnett was slower round the table than Cliff Thorburn used to be. I expect the Scot to win through comfortably. M.Selt to beat T.Ford, 3pts @ 11/10 Boylesports After last night's excellent win by Tom Ford, I'm surprised to be taking this bet but he didn't look at ease round the table. As I said, he limped pretty badly all night but did play well enough to take out Jimmy Robertson. I'm opposing him on the basis of the injury and also that Matt Selt seemed to strike the ball really well today. Saw off Joe Jogia and Rod Lawler:lol, easing past the latter 66-0 without having to move out of first gear. At the prices, I think Selt is overpriced and, if his shot selection is up to scratch and not too attacking, I fancy him to take out the promising Ford. L.Wenbo to beat M.Stevens, 3pts @ 11/10 Bet365 I liked the look of Wenbo today, the only Chinese player to win through to this round. He struck up a great rapport with the crowd too which is always a positive and played some great snooker too in beating Andrew Higginson 74-9. Picks his shots well and knows when to stick and when to twist, so I'm hopeful of a good result here. Matt Stevens overcame Ali Carter but for 2 players ranked so high, they both looked poor. Chances for both players in that match but Ali was, quite frankly, terrible. Again, at the likely odds, I'm happy to be on the overseas star here. 1pt treble too at 4/5, Evs & 11/10 Bet365

Cheers mate. And yours too. Looks really open now, just depends on the draw.
Ta mate. Last night was a big help for us with Higgins, Williams, Selby, Bingham and Stevens all disappearing. Got a very wide open look to it now like you say.

I agree, im considering being the bookie and laying everyone on betfair (not literally :lol, i fell for that before), eg there are plenty of mugs that backed Trump at 18.00 and the deviation is sooo high skill is irrelevant, its really how the player feels on the day and how he performs! Ill be laying everyone thats under 30/1. Lets hope the field comes through
Just Gould and Dott remaining, though my initial plans were not as smooth as first thought. Made most of my money laying off the biggest favourites like Trump, though its still peanuts at 17/1, but collectively perhaps abit more. The market was more competitive than I thought, with not as many mugs backing the favourites as I thought, though I did make sure I gave similar odds to the bookies.

Re: Sky Shootout 27-29 Jan Great work on Tom Ford, Kev. Can't argue with a 100/1 shot being placed:clap Bit of a disappointing day though with all 3 of mine losing in 30 short minutes, and then Gould falling when looking like he should have gone on & won the event. Great event though and looking forward to next year.