** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

African Nations Cup 2012

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: African Nations Cup 21st-22nd January

I would have thought somewhere between 1.3 and 1.6
I think 1.30 would be the maximum. Anything over is asking a bit much, I think. All depends on how bad Sudan are. Could turn out 1.23 is a gift. Think I'll just stick to Man City-Spurs for today :lol

Re: African Nations Cup 21st-22nd January I fancy under 2.5 goals in Ivory Coast vs Sudan. Yeah, Ivory Coast are a lot better etc. etc. and to be honest I think they will win the tournament now that there are no North African sides of any significant quality to dump them out. However, Sudan are one of a few sides in this tournament that are very hard to play against and the only way this game will be easy for Ivory Coast will be if Sudan bottle it, have a man sent off, or concede an early goal. African Nations games are not notorious for being high-scoring and let's not forget that this is the first game of the tournament which nobody wants to risk losing. I'd say a 1-0 or 2-0 would be the most likely outcome but I don't expect the annihlation that most people do, whether Ivory Coast have the potential to do so or not. Good luck guys!

I fancy under 2.5 goals in Ivory Coast vs Sudan. Yeah, Ivory Coast are a lot better etc. etc. and to be honest I think they will win the tournament now that there are no North African sides of any significant quality to dump them out. However, Sudan are one of a few sides in this tournament that are very hard to play against and the only way this game will be easy for Ivory Coast will be if Sudan bottle it, have a man sent off, or concede an early goal. African Nations games are not notorious for being high-scoring and let's not forget that this is the first game of the tournament which nobody wants to risk losing. I'd say a 1-0 or 2-0 would be the most likely outcome but I don't expect the annihlation that most people do, whether Ivory Coast have the potential to do so or not. Good luck guys!
Good call there mate. The straight win came in. Didn't watch it but sounded like a poor game and poor pitch, with Ivory Coast not impressing. Glad I stayed away from handicaps.

Don't know what other people think but may as well keep the whole tournament on one thread? Doesn't seem worth creating a new one every couple of days? Maybe one of the mods could change the thread title.
Done :ok Probably a good idea as the forum changeover kicks off on Monday and I'll probably be too busy getting confused :\ :lol

Re: African Nations Cup Morocco v Tunisia I fancy Morocco to edge this one, the unders again has strong appeal to it, Morocco particuarly tend to go unders in games but with draw cover I think there is more reason to back them than a Tunisia side who haven't been performing at as high a level as they should be coming into the tournament. They are pretty evenly matched on paper, only 2 places between them in the official world rankings but Morocco have a fair bit more European experience in the team with the likes of Udinese's Mehdi Benatia in central defence and the captain, Houssine Kharja of Fiorentina, in midfield, Chamakh and Taarabt up front, they have the big game experience. There are question marks over the form of the front two but if Taarabt in particular can find some of the form he has lost this season they will be difficult to handle. The draw is probably the most likely result in Maghreb derby, neither will want to lose and with easier games (in theory) to come they can afford to draw and still go through, so draw cover is essential, but I would favour Morocco of the two sides. Morocco DNB - 1.75 stanjames - 2 points

Re: African Nations Cup I have to agree here with @HastGill. Morocco is an experienced team (would add and mf Boussoufa from Anji, he's ex-Anderlecht star) and have an experienced coach, Belgian Eric Geerets (who set first place in the group as a goal, cause wants to avoid Ghana in the next phase). On the other hand, Tunisia don't have many players playing in Europe (Allagui, Haggui, Jemal in Germany and Saihi, Abdennour in France). Most of players coming from the winner of African Champions League, Esperanca. They came to this competition due to a very happy coincidence. The rivalry between these two countries is large, but I think that Morocco have required experience for a good result tonight. Morocco dnb @1.75 nordicbet 4/10

Re: African Nations Cup

Couple of upsets in the first round' date=' Zambia beating Senegal is one example. Does anyone think Niger can beat Gabon? Or can Botswana beat Ghana? These two teams are quite unknown and could they be potential upsets?[/quote'] Gabon still have better players than Niger and a big home advantage. I don't think they will lose...

Re: African Nations Cup - 23/24 January I'm a bit short on time so here are some early thoughts: Gabon vs Niger - Gabon look really short here. Yeah, they're hosts and home advantage counts moreso in this competition than any other, in my view. However, they're not a great side by any stretch of the imagination and Niger are in this tournament because they were a nightmare to beat for sides better than Gabon. For me, Niger +1 AH at 2.00 is worth a punt. Morocco vs Tunisia - tight game between two sides with little firepower. Both sides have strong midfields but I'd favour Morocco over Tunisia in their ability to keep hold of the ball. Tunisia's defence looks a little on the weak side this time around and I think Morocco could edge it so taking Morocco with draw no bet at 1.80 looks interesting to me. Good luck, guys.

Couple of upsets in the first round' date=' Zambia beating Senegal is one example. Does anyone think Niger can beat Gabon? Or can Botswana beat Ghana? These two teams are quite unknown and could they be potential upsets?[/quote'] Don't think anyone really knows what standard Niger are going to be as the entire squad is made up of players 19-23. Thought about playing them +1AH due to the general low-scoring feel that has been around the matches so far and I can't see Gabon knocking too many past anyone but I think its one to avoid until you have a rough idea of the standard that Niger will be at.

Re: African Nations Cup - 23/24 January Morocco vs Tunisia Not very much reasoning in this but both sides have lack of a genuine goal threat although they both have players that are capable of giving good supply to the front-men but i still don't believe their will be many goals in the game considering the fact that it's the first game of the tournament so both teams might not be in full swing yet but i still do fancy morocco to take the game so i'm backing a HTFT Draw/Moroco @5/1 with William Hill in this one :hope

Re: African Nations Cup - 23/24 January

I'm a bit short on time so here are some early thoughts: Gabon vs Niger - Gabon look really short here. Yeah, they're hosts and home advantage counts moreso in this competition than any other, in my view. However, they're not a great side by any stretch of the imagination and Niger are in this tournament because they were a nightmare to beat for sides better than Gabon. For me, Niger +1 AH at 2.00 is worth a punt. Morocco vs Tunisia - tight game between two sides with little firepower. Both sides have strong midfields but I'd favour Morocco over Tunisia in their ability to keep hold of the ball. Tunisia's defence looks a little on the weak side this time around and I think Morocco could edge it so taking Morocco with draw no bet at 1.80 looks interesting to me. Good luck, guys.
Not my day today! It took Niger nearly the whole of the first-half to settle their nerves and be comfortable on the ball and by then the damage was done. I feel robbed by the Morocco game though - they dominated Tunisia from start to finish but conceded a soft goal from a set piece and a soft counter-attack in the second half. Still, an inspired display from the Tunisian goalkeeper and wayward finishing from Morocco is to blame here.

I have to agree here with @HastGill. Morocco is an experienced team (would add and mf Boussoufa from Anji, he's ex-Anderlecht star) and have an experienced coach, Belgian Eric Geerets (who set first place in the group as a goal, cause wants to avoid Ghana in the next phase). On the other hand, Tunisia don't have many players playing in Europe (Allagui, Haggui, Jemal in Germany and Saihi, Abdennour in France). Most of players coming from the winner of African Champions League, Esperanca. They came to this competition due to a very happy coincidence. The rivalry between these two countries is large, but I think that Morocco have required experience for a good result tonight. Morocco dnb @1.75 nordicbet 4/10 :(
1:2 -4

Mali v Guinea - Tuesday 24th January [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Tuesday 24 January 2012[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [TH] [/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Mali v Guinea (19:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 3.05 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 3.1 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 3.1 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]97.30 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Equatorial Guinea v Senegal - Wednesday 25th January [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Equatorial Guinea v Senegal (19:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 6 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 3.6 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.78 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.62 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: African Nations Cup Well, there seems to be loads of threads for the ACN now but I'm sticking in this one! Ghana v Botswana Ghana are one of the favourites for the title, they received a boost when main striker Asamoah Gyan was passed fit after struggling with injury. Ghana have probably the best squad at the tournament, plenty of strength in depth and cover for most positions. Botswana were something of a surprise qualifier, ranked 70 odd places below Ghana in the world rankings it is a tough first test for them. Botswana will be playing a counter attacking game, they scored more than one goal only once in qualifying, and we could be looking at another unders game similar to the Ivory Coast opener. Botswana had a recent dispute between players and the FA over bonuses they believed they were due after qualifying for the finals, this has now been settled but resulted in the players not training before their most recent warm-up game against Zimbabwe (0-0). Coach Powell has come under criticism for his defensive style and failure to replace injured winger Mogorosi (broken arm) with a more attacking replacement after his injury on the eve of the tournament. For me this is a toss up between taking Ghana to win to nil or under 2.5, I expect Ghana to win their first game although I don't expect a huge margin of victory, they have (on paper) tougher games against Mali and Guinea to come, and I can see it being a 1-0 or 2-0 victory. Botswana are not an attacking or high scoring side, I can see Ghana dominating possession and Botswana being pegged back for long periods. Given the better odds I am going for Ghana to win to nil, the evens available seems decent considering bet365 and ladbrokes price it up at 1.73. Ghana to win to nil - 2.0 betvictor - 2 points

Re: Ghana v Botswana - Tuesday 24th January Ghana vs Botswana Group D in ANC and Botswana is the weakest of all 4 teams, while Ghana being the best seen. Their players are very good and experienced and I think they will want a great start tonight. They will want to win this trophy and against a team like Botswana they can easily score some goals to debut with a good goal difference. Ghana -1.25 AH @ 1.95 with Stan James

Re: Ghana v Botswana - Tuesday 24th January Half time/Fulltime Draw /Ghana 7/2 ladbrokes I dont know an awful lot about these two im just coming at it from a value point of view. It seems apparant that Ghana are clearly the better team and that Botswana keep things very tight and dont concede many. thereforee I can envisge a tight first half with Ghana eventually breaking them down in the 2nd half. The 7/2 with ladbrokes halftime draw full time Ghana seems a decent price.

Re: African Nations Cup Unders is my pick for the Ghana-Botswana game. 1.73 with Bluesquare. There's no doubt that Ghana are the better team but they're not a side who score many goals, whilst Botswana will play it tight and have been successful at frustrating opponents this way. They've got friendly draws away to Nigeria and Morocco, and beat Tunisia 1-0 home and away. They are an incredibly underish side with 80%+ of their games going under. Ghana's 0-0 at home to Sudan in qualifying shows that they struggle to break teams down as well. We've seen a few shocks in qualifying and in the tournament so far, and this seems an able Botswana side who topped their group ahead of Tunisia, who impressed last night. I think it will be a close game and under 2.5 goals, with the odds good value in my opinion.

Ghana v Botswana Ghana to win to nil - 2.0 betvictor - 2 points WIN
For some reason the thread that me and others were posting in has been locked? Seemed sensible to keep all posts for a tournament few people will be following in one thread so it is easier to follow the patterns of games and make bet options clearer, much like the Australian Open thread. Fairly straightforward win anyway, the sending off made sure Ghana stayed on their toes. Justified the to win to nil option rather than the unders.