** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21

BlueSQ Bet North Saturday 21 January 2012 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Altrincham FC v Harrogate Town (15:00 GMT) 8/13 11/4 7/2 109.63 %
maximize.gif Bishop's Stortford v Workington (15:00 GMT) 13/10 13/5 7/4 107.62 %
maximize.gif Blyth Spartans v Corby Town (15:00 GMT) 5/2 13/5 10/11 108.73 %
maximize.gif Boston United v Nuneaton Town (15:00 GMT) 13/8 5/2 11/8 108.77 %
maximize.gif Eastwood Town v Solihull Moors (15:00 GMT) 3 14/5 8/11 109.21 %
maximize.gif Gainsborough Trinity v Histon (15:00 GMT) 7/10 14/5 10/3 108.22 %
maximize.gif Guiseley v Droylsden (15:00 GMT) 4/6 14/5 10/3 109.40 %
maximize.gif Hinckley United v Stalybridge Celtic (15:00 GMT) 11/5 13/5 1/1 109.03 %
maximize.gif Hyde FC v Gloucester City (15:00 GMT) 1/2 10/3 9/2 108.66 %
maximize.gif Vauxhall Motors v FC Halifax Town (15:00 GMT) 14/5 14/5 3/4 109.77 %
maximize.gif Worcester City v Colwyn Bay (15:00 GMT) 11/10 13/5 2 108.73 %
BlueSQ Bet South Saturday 21 January 2012 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Basingstoke Town v Eastleigh (15:00 GMT) 11/10 13/5 9/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Boreham Wood v Weston-super-Mare (15:00 GMT) 8/5 5/2 5/4 111.48 %
maximize.gif Bromley v Truro City (15:00 GMT) 6/4 13/5 13/10 111.26 %
maximize.gif Chelmsford City v Staines Town (15:00 GMT) 2/5 10/3 5 111.17 %
maximize.gif Dorchester Town v Dover Athletic (15:00 GMT) 7/4 12/5 6/5 111.23 %
maximize.gif Hampton & Richmond v Dartford (15:00 GMT) 13/5 13/5 4/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Maidenhead United v Sutton United (15:00 GMT) 9/5 13/5 11/10 111.11 %
maximize.gif Salisbury City v Woking (15:00 GMT) 3 14/5 4/6 111.32 %
maximize.gif Thurrock v Havant & Waterlooville (15:00 GMT) 11/5 13/5 10/11 111.41 %
maximize.gif Tonbridge Angels v Eastbourne Borough (15:00 GMT) 5/4 5/2 8/5 111.48 %
maximize.gif Welling United v Farnborough (15:00 GMT) 4/6 14/5 3 111.32 %

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21

No one will get paid out at 9/2 anyway. Staines are 9/2 in the match above so the person putting in the prices just put them in wrong.
It's still alive, and as per usual I had to wait until a trader approved it. Coral, to be fair, are better than most at sticking by their wrong'uns.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21 I missed out on VCBet's 5/2 about Blyth Spartans at home to Corby Town but 12/5 remains a sporting play. They have improved the squad quite a bit and did well enough away at Boston and Nuneaton to give them some encouragement. I don't buy the notion that Corby Town are in financial difficulties - Graham Drury likes to keep the dressing room door revolving - but they've lost three players this week and they've only won once since November. My own price for Blyth is well inside the 5/2. Talking of underrated sides at home, I'm also risking Bromley. They haven't won for weeks, but a squad refresh is underway and they looked like a football team at Woking. It's early days, but it's probably a good time to be meeting a Truro side who've won one in eight and lost Dan Smith this week from their small, injury hit squad. 6/4 Bromley is widespread, though the price is not a gimme it is decent value, I feel.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21 Bishop’s Stortford v Workington It is fair to say that these two sides have shown improvement in recent weeks as both look to move away from the relegation zone. The home side have improved since former Braintree manager Rod Stringer took over and he seems to have got the side playing much better than Ian Walker. They have only lost twice in their last eight league games and that run included an impressive 4-1 victory over promotion hopefuls Guiseley. They did lose on Saturday but it was in a 4-3 thriller against Harrogate and the game could easily have gone the other way. Workington were unbeaten in four prior to their defeat to Altrincham last Saturday where they were more easily beaten than the 2-1 result suggests. I think the other thing to note is that the run of games before that featured three against the two worst sides in the league (two against Blyth and one against Eastwood) and the other was against a very out of sorts Nuneaton. Their away form hasn’t been strong either and given the long trip against an in-form side I think we are looking at a home win here. Bet365 are best price at 13/10. Hinckley v Stalybridge Celtic Stalybridge have not won in five league games now and they have lost five of those. That is slightly concerning for our ante-post tips but they haven’t become a bad side overnight and this looks a good game for them to get a crucial three points. Hinckley picked up four points against Nuneaton over Christmas and followed that with an easy win over Eastwood. They were then put in their place by Altrincham and although they have shown glimpses of brilliance over the season, that performance against Altrincham was more like what they have been for most of the season. The other crucial thing to note is they have a massive FA Trophy replay against Luton on Monday night and are surely going to be thinking about that. Luton also have a league match on Saturday and Wednesday night so it looks as if it could be a good chance for Hinckley to cause an upset. With all that in mind I’m expecting an away win and evens (general) looks a solid price. Worcester V Colwyn Bay I fancy Worcester to get back to winning ways after three defeats away from home. They were rather unlucky to lose the last of those against Halifax given they were 1-0 up with 90 minutes on the clock. Having seen them in action on Boxing Day it’s no surprise to me that their home form is better than their away form. They look good going forward, but at the back appear a bit suspect and away from home that defence is going to come under a lot more pressure. They have lost eight games in the league this season and seven of them have been on their travels. From what I have seen Worcester are the better side of these two and Worcester even managed to beat them in Wales last month. They really struggled to beat Eastwood 1-0 last Saturday and drew with Vauxhall 0-0 on Tuesday night. I think Worcester will have too much for them and Blue Square’s 6/5 looks a tad on the big side to me.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21 Blue Square South Basingstoke v Eastleigh Saturday 3pm I think Eastleigh have a good chance of winning or drawing this. The two sides are close to each other in the league table, and neither is in particularly good form at the moment - http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2012/01/21/england/conference-n--s/basingstoke-town-fc/eastleigh-fc/1140383/ But Eastleigh have recently brought in quite a few players. This month they have signed Gary Elphick, a defender from Eastbourne, Philip Appiah, a midfielder from Farnborough, and Bradley Bubb, a striker on loan from Aldershot. These follow a number of signings made in November and December - http://www.eastleigh-fc.co.uk/latest-news The Basingstoke manager, Frank Gray, says he expects a more difficult game than their match at Eastleigh in August (which Basingstoke won 2-0) - http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/sport/football/9478562.Town_boss_Gray_wary_of_new_look_Eastleigh/ It's also a local derby, where I've found away sides often raise their game above their normal level. I think Eastleigh have a good chance of getting a win or a draw in this game. Eastleigh are rated as the outsider in this game at the current quoted odds, so I think these are good value. I am backing: Eastleigh +0.5 1.77 Bet 365 (This bet covers a draw or Eastleigh win)

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21 Not sure its that much of a derby. Maybe Ships will know more but I dont know of the two sides having any sort of rivalry. Eastleigh's away form has been crap all season although as you point out they have made some interesting signings. Its also fair to say Basingstoke are in poor form in general so maybe Eastleigh can take advantage.

Not sure its that much of a derby. Maybe Ships will know more but I dont know of the two sides having any sort of rivalry. Eastleigh's away form has been crap all season although as you point out they have made some interesting signings. Its also fair to say Basingstoke are in poor form in general so maybe Eastleigh can take advantage.
Not a real derby like Sheffield Utd v Sheffield Wednesday or Bristol Rovers v Bristol City, no. But the clubs are close enough in travelling time to give it a 'derby flavour'. They are about 25 miles apart, with a direct motorway connection on the M3, meaning it takes about 30 minutes to get there by car. The distance apart isn't really much greater than Southampton and Portsmouth, which is often thought of as a 'South Coast derby'. I don't think there's any history of rivalry between Basingstoke and Eastleigh, but the closeness I think adds a bit of an edge - and it's easy to get to for the away team players and fans. All this often tends the away team a lift, and puts a bit more pressure on the home team, I've noticed.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21 I would say thought that Southampton and Portsmouth are considered rivals because they are the two biggest teams in the area and I believe there is a fair bit of hatred between the two places anyway. Obviously its a close game for Eastleigh and its easy for them to get to but in my view I dont see that making any difference on the game especially at this sort of level.

I would say thought that Southampton and Portsmouth are considered rivals because they are the two biggest teams in the area and I believe there is a fair bit of hatred between the two places anyway. Obviously its a close game for Eastleigh and its easy for them to get to but in my view I dont see that making any difference on the game especially at this sort of level.
I take your point, all I can say is that I've noticed this factor often does make a difference. It shouldn't really of course, just as 'home advantage' shouldn't make a difference between two football teams, but it does.

I take your point' date=' all I can say is that I've noticed this factor often does make a difference. It shouldn't really of course, just as 'home advantage' shouldn't make a difference between two football teams, but it does.[/quote'] Interesting you mention home advantage as I read an article in the paper the other day saying it wasnt such a big factor in the Premier League anymore. Anyway I do think on balance Eastleigh are probably over priced for the game but their shocking away form is enough to put me off putting any money down. Good luck with your bet though.

13min drop! Must of took some serious bets...
Probably not, Coral are rubbish, first they limited my stakes to ridiculously low levels, then banned me completely at the end of last football season following modest profit.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21 I haven't had much time this week because of work distractions but I'm happy to be on the two struggling home sides in Bromley and Blyth Spartans. Take a look at Bromley's form line - no wins in 13, no wins in nine at home - and ignore it. The chairman has issued a rallying call and overseen the bringing in of some talent in the past few weeks. Ali Fuseini is the latest to join - an undoubted talent, though probably a little off the pace as yet. Antonio German and Pierre Joseph-Dubois have immediate experience from a level higher and the sides has a much stronger spine than two weeks ago. There are downsides, though: the defence can be shaky and that's not going to go away unless there is more surgery, though they have brought in the very capable Joe Welch as keeper. There are signs of life: the performance at Woking was much improved and they showed some spirit in coming from two down before losing to a late goal. Danny Waldren has also agreed to stay after rejecting a seven-dayer - before Christmas, any Bromley player would have been out of the door at the first opportunity. Truro City are clearly no mugs and are probably feeling buoyed by the tax bill being paid at the 11th hour, removing any threat to the club's immediate future. But the transfer embargo is still in place until next week and they are travelling with a squad of 12 or 13. They've coped with that before, but the simple fact is the small squad has taken its toll on form and they've only managed to beat Weston in eight in a match when they were very much second best. Blyth Spartans are a touch further along the road to rebirth than Bromley, with impressive away points at Boston and Nuneaton in the bag. They've signed generally younger players, which is a potentially risky strategy though it has already produced a small return, with new-boy Max Harrop looking lively in midfield and Graeme Armstrong and Glen Taylor suddenly looking more likely up front. Corby Town are tough opponents, with only Hyde and Halifax performing better on the road this season. In fact their only reverse came at Gainsborough in August. For me, they are entering a transitional phase, a move which is partly financial (big wage earners have been shown the door - including Matt Rhead this week), and what looks like an attempt to reshape the squad with talent from lower down the pyramid, with Mark Jones's recent good performances hinting at what the future might be. The point at Hyde was excellent, but says plenty about Hyde's recent stutter. For me, the price about Blyth is too far out.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet North & South Jan 21 Poor day for me here summed up by the fact Staly were 4 up at half time and through it away as they went 5-4 down, but they did get it back to 5-5 at the end. Plenty of goals and some strange results in both leagues.

Blue Square South Basingstoke v Eastleigh Saturday 3pm I think Eastleigh have a good chance of winning or drawing this. The two sides are close to each other in the league table, and neither is in particularly good form at the moment - http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2012/01/21/england/conference-n--s/basingstoke-town-fc/eastleigh-fc/1140383/ But Eastleigh have recently brought in quite a few players. This month they have signed Gary Elphick, a defender from Eastbourne, Philip Appiah, a midfielder from Farnborough, and Bradley Bubb, a striker on loan from Aldershot. These follow a number of signings made in November and December - http://www.eastleigh-fc.co.uk/latest-news The Basingstoke manager, Frank Gray, says he expects a more difficult game than their match at Eastleigh in August (which Basingstoke won 2-0) - http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/sport/football/9478562.Town_boss_Gray_wary_of_new_look_Eastleigh/ It's also a local derby, where I've found away sides often raise their game above their normal level. I think Eastleigh have a good chance of getting a win or a draw in this game. Eastleigh are rated as the outsider in this game at the current quoted odds, so I think these are good value. I am backing: Eastleigh +0.5 1.77 Bet 365 (This bet covers a draw or Eastleigh win)
Result: Basingstoke 1 Eastleigh 0 Bet lost Will try and post a link to a match report when I can find one online somewhere.