** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis: Australian Open 2012

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012

Vera Zvonareva vs Ekaterina Makarova – under 20.5 games 1.90 at bwin:ok Sabine Lisicki vs Svetlana Kuznetsova – over 21.5 games 1.91 at skybet:ok Jie Zheng vs Marion Bartoli – over 20.5 games 1.91 at skybet:\
2/3 winners and a bit more profit for the week. Perhaps got lucky with the Zvonereva match as it was exactly 20 games and didn't go the way I was expecting but them's the breaks.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 LOL you jammy pair of bastards........:ok....there is something nice about sneaking a handicap/game line by 1 game, not good for the heart mind. Easy win for Novak last night, cruise control all the way. Seems like a good night in here, Fishy cleaning up and others doing very well. Good stuff fellas.....:ok

Ekaterina Makarova (+1.5 sets) to beat Vera Zvonareva @ 2.15:ok:ok Angelique Kerber (+1.5 sets) to beat Maria Sharapova @ 2.38 with Pinnacle:wall:wall Kei Nishikori (-1.5 sets) to beat Julien Benneteau @ 2.50 with Paddy Power:ok:ok Mikhail Kukushkin (+2.5 sets) to beat Gael Monfils @ 2.15 with Pinnacle:ok:ok Grandin/Uhlirova to beat Begu/Niculescu @ 1.85 with Gamebookers:wall:wall Greta Arn (+1.5 sets) to beat Serena Williams @ 6.39 with Pinnacle:wall:wall Michael Llodra (+2.5 sets) to beat Andy Murray @ 3.10 with Pinnacle:wall:wall Lleyton Hewitt to beat Milos Raonic @ 3.97 with Pinnacle:ok:ok
Nice :ok

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Great shout on Hewitt Czech :ok Dylan I actually really wanted Makarova to win that second set 6-1 as I'd seen your post so worked out well. Were both a little lucky but a wins a win ;) Regret not backing Makarova to beat Zvonareva now, at least on the handicap as I had an incline Vera would struggle. As for these bloody outrights, honestly think if I had backed Djokovic to reach the last 16, Mahut would have beaten him in 5. Think I curse any player I back with those outrights so obviously Hewitt was going to bounce back and win in 4. The rest of the bets made up for it though with mainly Murray, Djokovic, Ferrer and Nishikori winning.. Ivanovic should have covered the handicap but wasn't consistent at all in that second set. Anyways with the Tipsarevic and Raonic outrights settled, it was +4.94 for last night, taking the overall to +18.93 for the tournament. Tricky looking 4th round card though IMO.

I'm sorry, don't have time enough to write long write ups, now i gonna give a short reason. 3/10 Djokovic - Mahut under 26 games @ 1.87 SBO :nana Djokovic playing very good this tournament. Mahut is not good enough to win 8 or more games in this match. 5/10 Ferrer - Chela CS: 3-0 @ 1.80 Interwetten :nana I don't see Chela win a set here. Playing not steady enough against Andujar. Ferrer had a offday against Sweeting, but shall win here easy. 2/10 Benneteau tb. Nishikori @ 2.07 Betsson :@ Why is the Frenchmen dog here? Playing good the first two sets against Simon. See this match as 50/50, little value here :). 2/10 Raonic - Hewitt CS: 3-1 @ 3.80 Titanbet :@ Shot, Hewitt will fight for every point and maybe he can win one set from Raonic with a good serve. 3/10 Tipsarevic tb. Gasquet @ 2.00 StanJames :@ 50/50 again, but i think Tipsa is a little bit better than the Frenchmen here. 4/10 Tsonga - Gil Under 29.5 games @ 1.85 Titanbet :nana I don't see Gil win more than 11 games. Maybe Tsonga will play one set easy as 6-4 or 7-5. But two sets he will win easy. 6/10 Raonic - Hewitt over 3.5 sets @ 1.70 Tipico :nana To much value. Why will Hewitt not to win at least one set? He go fight for every point. Raonic lost one set last match against the German. 3/10 Raonic -5 games tb. Hewitt @ 1.84 Betsson Little cover for the two other buts, if Hewitt don't win a set. But this can complete three but i don't see Hewitt to win a set easy.
+4, but im not happy with this results. To many bets on Raonic, learning for next time.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 My only match for tonight is Berdych vs Almagro -6 @ 1.90 Berdych is far better player than Almagro and Almagro looked tired when he played his last match and he is going to play against better player who is in great form and i don't see how Almagro could take even a set against Berdych.He crushed him in Cinncinati and I think that he's going to repeat that.:hope

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 1/10 Del Potro - Kohlschreiber CS: 3-0 @ 2.30 Unibet Del Potro playing with every match better. I don't see the 3-0 from Kohlschreiber against Falla as a good result. Falla playing very bad and Kohlschreiber don't play fantastic tennis. Last year Del Potro won two times against Kohlschreiber on this surface, i think a easy win. 2/10 Del Potro - Kohlschreiber under 167.5 minutes @ 1.87 Unibet Same reason as above. I don't think this is a long match. If Delpo win in straight sets he will play max 150 minutes i think so. 3/10 Berdych - Almagro under 37.5 games @ 1.90 SBO I don't see why Almagro can win much games against a good Berdych. Berdych playing good this tournament and Almagro are not steady enough. Growing in this tournament but won easy against a dramatic Wawrinka. I think its a nice line. 5/10 Federer -2.5 sets tb. Tomic @ 1.80 Unibet Tomic overrated here. Playing two long matches and playing not great every match. I think Federer will win this match easy against the youngster. 5/10 Del Potro -5.5 games tb. Kohlschreiber @ 1.77 12Bet See above :).

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Clijsters vs Li Na over 21 games @1.909 Pinnacle 2u This is replay of last year final, hard to imagine it ends in two straight sets. Li Na does not offer many breakpoints, and Kim, if healthy, is better court player, so I expect really tough match. 7-5 6-3 is enough for the push, and both their matches in 2011 crossed this line.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Have already taken a punt on these; Kim Clijsters vs Li Na – over 20.5 games 1.83 at Victor Chandler (1 unit) Would think this is going to be a tight one, and I’m happy to take this overs line. These two met twice in 2011, both times in Australia (inc the final here) last year and both of those games were tight ones with 24 and 22 games. 3 of the other 5 games these two have played have also gone well over 20.5 games. Both ladies have been in excellent form at this event cruising through all their rounds in straight sets and it’s hard to see any major weaknesses in eithers armour which could be exploited. These two may have to grind it out until one of them makes a rare mistake. Thomas Berdych vs Nic Almagro – under 37.5 games 1.85 at Victor Chandler (1 unit) Berdych should have too much for Almagro here, as he did when these two had there only ever hard court encounter at Cinnicinati last year when the Czech won 6-2 6-2. After a mixed couple of weeks coming into this event Berdych has found his feet and have won in straight sets in his two previous rounds, and in doing so both of those matches also went under this game line. Almagro’s win over Wawrinka was admirable, but in general I don’t think he has the ability on this surface to really challenge the top players and he’s come unstuck at this round in the last three Aussie Opens. I expect a routine win for Berdych but I think this game line is generous enough to cover the possibility of a couple of tight sets, or maybe even a four setter. Can't see anything else on the womens side that interest me tonight, but might be back with a couple of others in the mens event. :hope

Milos Raonic vs Lleyton Hewitt over 38.5 games 10/11 skybet raonic 3-1 11/4 skybet it could be over quickly or it could be a classic so i think it could be a long one these two can produce great tennis so it should be at least five sets which would win the overs bet
i had a feeling it might go to five sets so im pleased i have won another bet

Đokovic vs Mahut - 10.5 WIN As I suspected Đokovic played great and he crushed Mahut,another easy win:ok
Nice one, though I have to say I was worried Mahut was going to retire. He was so obviously injured. Got to give Mahut a lot of thanks and respect for not retiring though, even though he knew he had no chance of winning.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Zheng bet came in :ok Kim Clijsters to beat Na Li - 1.69 Betfair I'm happy to take Clijsters here. There's no doubt that Na Li is a top player, and winning a Slam last year will give her added confidence going into a match like this. However, there are a number of reasons why I think Clijsters will come out on top. Firstly, her record in Slams since returning from her last retirement is very good, whereas her record in other tournaments generally has been hit and miss - the bottom line is that Slam tournaments appear to be the only ones that motivate her. Also, there has been talk that she may retire again soon, and if that is the case then expect her to want to make the most of the chance to win another Slam. In addition, she has a very good record against Na Li in Slam matches, winning each of their three meetings including the final of this tournament last year. Finally, I think that the matches that Clijsters has played so far in this tournament will stand her in better stead than the matches that Na Li has played. Clijster's opponents have got progressively better, and even though she owns Hantuchova and beat her easily in the last round, Hantuchova is arguably a better player than any Na Li has faced so far. Medina retired in the last round, meaning that Na Li has had extra rest, but I think she could have done with a full match. Prior to facing Medina, she played and easily beat Olivia Rogowska, and it is a big jump to effectively go from that match to facing Clijsters.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 With all of the last 16 outrights settled, I'll be looking to claw back the losses from them in the matches tonight. Taken 6 in total. Feliciano Lopez vs Rafeal Nadal- Under 31.5 games- 5/6 Sportingbet- (5/10) To be truly blunt about this one, Rafa owns Lopez really. He has won 8 out of the 10 matches between the 2 and has never dropped a set in any of his wins over his fellow compatriot. I don't think he will again today and I really liked the way Rafa played against Lacko, who really didn't play badly at all. Nadal defended well though and put most of the bad balls away whilst his serving was extremely good. Lopez has been involved in some tight matches this week, echoed by that marathon match against Isner in which the Spaniard came through in 5. As we know the American isn't the greatest returner in the world and relies on his serve pretty much to get him through matches. Nadal is completely different though and will be able to return far more balls on Lopez's serve than big John managed. What really stood out to me was amount of double faults Lopez had in that match against Isner and if he doesn't cut them out, he'll really struggle from the off against Rafa. Definitely prefer the unders to the handicap here as Lopez's serve should see him hold a fair bit but I see Nadal being able to break at least once in each set. This line even allows for a tie break but I'd expect Nadal to be pretty comfortable throughout and cover the unders here for a third match in a row for me. Roger Federer (-7.5 games) to beat Bernard Tomic- Evens Coral- (4/10) Wasn't expecting this line, nor this price so happy to back Federer here. Tomic did well to beat Dolgopolov the other day but I wasn't actually that impressed with the way he played. He needed a couple of tie breaks to get past the Ukrainian but it was more Dolgopolov playing badly in them more than Tomic playing well. When Dolgopolov upped his level, Tomic really struggled but the Aussie was fortunate that he couldn't sustain it for any longer than 3/4 games. Federer however will and was always comfortable against Karlovic in truth and with have been happy that the match didn't go to 4/5 sets as a lengthy match against the Croatian in the heat is not something you want to be doing in a slam. Tomic has had to play two 5 matches already this week, as well as a lengthy 4 setter as well so there could well be some fatigue that comes into play in his game today, especially if Federer gets going. As I've mentioned though, the youngster did struggle against Dolgopolov in parts where the Ukrainian was playing well and I'd expect him to be found wanting against Federer. I would have personally had the line a game higher at just under evens so more than happy to take the (7.5) line at an attractive price. I'll just do the writeup about the early women's match and then follow the rest up in another post as they start later on. Victoria Azarenka (-6.5 games) to beat Iveta Benesova- 4/6 Bet365- (5/10) I would expect Azarenka to have a close match somewhere along the line if she is to make the semis or final even but I don't see that match coming today. She's been in ruthless form so far this week, just dropping 8 games in her 3 matches and beat an in form Mona Barthel comfortably the other day. Her all round game has been excellent and on this form, she'll be extremely hard to beat which in my eyes spells bad news to Benesova. The Czech has improved significantly from her first round match in which she struggled to get past Johansson but from then, she has comprehensively beaten Peng and Bratchikova in straight sets but this is a few steps up from that. Azarenka's confidence must be sky high at the minute, as she is unbeaten so far this season and only dropped 2 sets. Despite her gangster rap entrance on court which wouldn't look out of place in a Bluewater shopping centre, her actual tennis has been sublime and it's hard to see her struggling against Benesova, who has done well to make it this far but like 12 months ago, I fancy her to be pretty easily beaten in round 4. Azarenka has won all 3 meetings and covered the handicap in every match and given where her tennis is at right now, I'll back her to carry that tradition on.

Sport Tennis
Event Julia Goerges - Agnieszka Radwanska
Selection 1
Strength 10/10
Date 22/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 4.75
Reasoning Today in the round of 16 of the Australian Open (ladies) german Julia Goerges will take on Agnieszka Radwanska for the first time in her career. Counting this fact I wouldn`t give that big price for Goerges who is now ranked 23rd in the world and an over the average server. Radwanska is now 6-1 this season having a decent run here but so far no reall challenge at all (she beat Mattek, Ormaechea and Voskoboeva). On the other side Julie went through Hercog, Daniilidou and Oprandi. The german can be very effective mainly on hard where her serve could be at her best and even though Agnieszka is one of the best defensive player in the world with a very decent serve that made her enter in the top10 WTA, I have to give some credit to Goerges who is the player who is coming from behind and coming hard. I will take Julia Goerges for this meeting.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Been thinking about this one and have decided to play it - with an appropriately small stake. Feliciano Lopez to beat Rafael Nadal - 13.0 Betfair Before I start, I should say that I expect this bet to lose, and the small chance of a win is clearly reflected in the odds. Nadal is a much better player than Lopez, and has an excellent record against him, however I can't get his knee troubles out of my mind and I keep thinking of how Nadal has retired in the past at this tournament. Granted, in his matches so far he appears to have had few problems, but if there is any sort of flare-up then Lopez will have a much better chance of springing a shock result. Something else to consider is that as poor as Lopez's record against Nadal is, he has beaten him. Indeed the last time he managed to get a win was at Queen's in 2010, when Nadal was suffering from fatigue. It's highly likely, of course, that Nadal had one eye (or maybe more) on Wimbledon that year, but it shows that Lopez has a chance if Nadal is not at 100 percent. In addition, Lopez is a step up from the players that Nadal has faced so far in this tournament. I also like the way that Lopez has played so far in this tournament. He started slowly against Mayer in the first round, doing just enough to get over the line. He followed that up by beating Cipolla in a similar fashion, and in the last round he showed real resolve and determination to beat Isner. I think that win is even more impressive when you consider what he was fighting for - the chance to face Nadal in the next round. If Lopez thought that he would have no chance against Nadal, then I'm not so sure he would have been that motivated to win the final set against Isner.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Final 3 for me then. Tomas Berdych (-6 games) to beat Nicolas Almagro- 5/6 Sportingbet- (4/10) Siding with Berdych here as he's got better everytime I've watched a bit of him this week. He was rusty and well poor in his first match against Ramos, but he dominated Rochus and eventually came through comfortably against Kevin Anderson. Once Berdych gets some momentum behind him in a slam, it's usually left to the big 4 to take him out and I expect Nadal to do that in the quarters. I'd fancy him to have too much for Almagro on the hard courts though and despite the Spaniard coming through against Wawrinka comfortably enough, he is always capable of letting his head drop and throw in a shocker of a performance. If Berdych gets going early on, I don't see Almagro staying close to him for the duration of the match and even if he drops a set, I'd fancy Berdych to win at least one well and that should cover the handicap. Philipp Kohlschreiber vs Juan Martin Del POTRO (Atko ;))- Tie Break in Match- 6/5 Ladbrokes- (3/10) Price has slipped a bit since I took this a little early. Think it's somewhere around the evens mark now. Anyways must say I'm a little surprised people are backing Del Potro to win this one comfortably. I do think he will win and set up a quarter final match against Federer but there's no reason to suggest the German won't be competitive here. If I'd have to take a player on the handicap it would be Kohlschreiber but I'm instead backing a tie break in this match. In 3 of the past 4 meeting between these 2 guys, there has been a tie break, including both matches from last season. Del Potro is understandably the favourite but Kohlschreiber has been in really good form over the past couple of weeks and took a set of Nadal in Doha. Del Potro looks to be getting better after he wasn't great against Mannarino or Kavcic but he beat Lu easily which suggests the Argentinian is finally finding his feet in the tournament. However Kohlschreiber has played some good stuff over the past couple of weeks and should be able to stay close with Del Potro in my eyes. The German has already played a tie break in each of his 2 completed matches this week and I'm backing these two to play out another one in this match. Final one for the women. Julia Goerges vs Agnieszka Radwanska- Over 18.5 games- 4/5 Ladbrokes- (4/10) This line just looks low to me. The scoreline in Radwanska's last match really flattered her as Voskoboeva missed a whole load of chances to break and get herself back into the match before letting her head drop a touch which allowed Radwanska to sail through in the end. The Pole really hasn't looked anything special when I've seen her this week though. Against Mattek-Sands she could have easily been beaten and as I've said, Voskoboeva missed chances. The times when Radwanska has struggled have been when her opponent takes balls on and that is what Goerges will do. The German has the game to hit winners on both sides which should cause her opponent some problems. She hasn't really started the season well by any means, by she can be a dangerous opponent to play for any of the best players on the WTA. Goerges covered this overs line against the likes of Sharapova, Williams and Ivanovic last year and if she sticks to her normal game and is solid enough, I see no reason why we won't see at least 19 games in this one.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Excellent start to the evening for you Fishy with Azarenka easily covering the handicap. Rafa Nadal vs Feliciano Lopez – under 31.5 games 1.91 at SkyBet(1 unit) Have gone for a last minute punt on this. As its been pointed out Nadal has a strong record vs Lopez and I can see no reason why that would change here. In all the 7 completed matches Nadal has won against his opponent all have been done with ease in straight sets and with an average of just over 9 games per set in each of these matches. Maybe Lopez could match that here but I honestly think that could be a struggle for him, and even if he did this bet would still be a winner.

I'm looking at the women's outright market, don't think I've ever seen a more open tournement, you can make a case for a lot of players, Kim, Serena & Maria have multiple slams to their name and know how to take out big matches. Caroline Woz is often thought of a big game choker but I've been very impressed with her all round game esp from the base line, Arzarenka and Kvittova have also shone for me. Azaranka has a very kind draw and is probably justified as favourite, but 4.5 for a player that has never even made a grand slam final? You've got to be kidding me, clear lay. Three outright bets at this stage, all with the intention of laying if the make the semis, 5pts on Caroline w, Kim c and Maria s at 10.5, 12.5 and 18.5 respectively. Plus one 10pt lay on Azarenka Sent from my A500 using PL Forum

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Woke up and turned TV on, noticed it was 4-4 in 2nd set, had £5 in my acc just thought "**** it" and put it on Clijsters @ 2.50. Never even knew she injured her ankle in 1st set. Can't believe she won it :lol Li what a bottler :notworthy

Clijsters vs Li Na over 21 games @1.909 Pinnacle 2u WIN
A winer in the end, still -1.2u down for the event. Strange match. I think half of China must have got a heart attack. Li Na set and break up, lost the break, been 6-2 up in the 2nd set tie-break, lost the tie-break and the decider. Li Na even bigger choker than Kuzzy :p.

In fairness to Li, she came back strongly to the end of the third. Those four match points destroyed her for ten mins, by which time she was 4 ~ 0 down. Mental lob from Kimmie in the tie break, came off for her though. If the ankle holds, she'll cruise into the semis Sent from my A500 using PL Forum

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Delighted to see this little worm Tomic getting his arse handed to him by the maestro. He's too passive and doesnt move or serve well enough to compete with the big dog. Strange because he can get some pop on his offensive shots but like Murray, it's not natural to be the aggressor.

Kim Clijsters vs Li Na – over 20.5 games 1.83 at Victor Chandler (1 unit):ok Thomas Berdych vs Nic Almagro – under 37.5 games 1.85 at Victor Chandler (1 unit):\ Rafa Nadal vs Feliciano Lopez – under 31.5 games 1.91 at Skybet(1 unit):ok
Again a bit more profit for the evening so all good. Well done all other winners.