** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: 2012 Masters

kevshat

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters :welcomeTo PL!! Good pick with Allen. He should relish big events like this. Ive got my eye on him and Selby also. Carter is also interesting to see after what he said about his future, though im still a big fan of his.

Higgins vs Stevens Higgins 1/2 10/10 VC (BetVictor should I say) :) Higgins -1.5 WH 4/5 2/10 :)
Juicy win here to compensate for what happened to me yesterday!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters Quick pick to get the night going: Robertson vs Allen Fancy this to be a tight match and the odds reflect on that. Due to the fact I cannot see a clear winner points slight value on Allen at 2.25. Both these young players should relish this oppotunity, and could find it hard to get past the finishing line once they get a sniff of it. Not too much reasoning, but I feel there is value in: Over 9.5 frames 10/10 bet365/Lads/Skybet Allen 1.25 2/10 Lads/Tote

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters Same for me tonight. Really looking forward to this one. LSL, I'd say the only reason Allen hasn't been talked of as a winner of this thing other than the fact he's not won a professional major is he would have to beat Robertson then Williams then Trump/Ronnie just to make the final. If he had Selby or Higgins' draw he'd be a lot more talked about. 4pts M.Allen to beat N.Robertson 5/4 Ladbrokes 5pts Over 9.5 frames Evs Skybet As I say I'm really looking forward to this match. These two come into this match in excellent form and I think it could be really close. I wouldn't be surprised if we had our first deciding frame this week. Mark Allen was sat a few rows behind me in the crowd last night and I smuggled in a quick photo with him in between one of the frames and wished him luck for tonight and he said he couldn't wait to play so I reckon he's bang up for this and I agree a lot with what Ken Doherty said earlier about Trump's rise pulling the likes of Allen up too. Some of the snooker Mark Allen played in the final of the UK Championship was flawless and a repeat of that tonight and he gets the job done. It won't be easy though because I believe Robbo is playing his best ever snooker too this season. He's made the semi finals of the last two tournaments and can beat anyone he likes any day of the week when he's firing. Robertson has beaten Allen in two PTC matches this season but both were tight, as was Allen's win over Robbo in this event last year and I don't see this not being tight. Both are at the top of their game right now and both fight for every point in every frame. This has the potential to be the match of the first round but I can't separate them so the 5/4 Allen is value and at even money I've got to take the over 9.5 frames too as I really believe this one goes 6-4 or closer.

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters

Same for me tonight. Really looking forward to this one. LSL, I'd say the only reason Allen hasn't been talked of as a winner of this thing other than the fact he's not won a professional major is he would have to beat Robertson then Williams then Trump/Ronnie just to make the final. If he had Selby or Higgins' draw he'd be a lot more talked about. 4pts M.Allen to beat N.Robertson 5/4 Ladbrokes 5pts Over 9.5 frames Evs Skybet As I say I'm really looking forward to this match. These two come into this match in excellent form and I think it could be really close. I wouldn't be surprised if we had our first deciding frame this week. Mark Allen was sat a few rows behind me in the crowd last night and I smuggled in a quick photo with him in between one of the frames and wished him luck for tonight and he said he couldn't wait to play so I reckon he's bang up for this and I agree a lot with what Ken Doherty said earlier about Trump's rise pulling the likes of Allen up too. Some of the snooker Mark Allen played in the final of the UK Championship was flawless and a repeat of that tonight and he gets the job done. It won't be easy though because I believe Robbo is playing his best ever snooker too this season. He's made the semi finals of the last two tournaments and can beat anyone he likes any day of the week when he's firing. Robertson has beaten Allen in two PTC matches this season but both were tight, as was Allen's win over Robbo in this event last year and I don't see this not being tight. Both are at the top of their game right now and both fight for every point in every frame. This has the potential to be the match of the first round but I can't separate them so the 5/4 Allen is value and at even money I've got to take the over 9.5 frames too as I really believe this one goes 6-4 or closer.
I am so pleased Kev has the same ideas as me, gives myself abit more confidence over my picks! Perhaps im slightly improving in my snooker picks! Though Kev could have done this to try and flatter me.

Just took Mark Allen +1.5 against Neil Robertson @ 4/5 with Paddy Power' date=' Robertson's over-rated and Mark Allen under-rated. Allen loves an atmosphere and this Masters arena produces that.[/quote'] I think Allen will win but that's the first time I've seen Robertson called over-rated :lol. I personally can't rate him high enough and his honours list shows him to be one of the game's best players. Hold fire mate. If last night and this afternoon are anything to go by it might not be a good thing that I'm agreeing with you :lol :$.

Quick pick to get the night going: Robertson vs Allen Over 9.5 frames 10/10 bet365/Lads/Skybet :cry Allen 1.25 2/10 Lads/Tote :(
1-1... 2-2... 3-3... everything is going fine until Robertson smacks in the last 3 frames. Most annoyed at Allen when he was 50 odd points up 3 - 4 behind and didnt manage to seal the frame to guarantee it to go over 9.5 frames...

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters This tournament has gone a bit pair shaped a bit too quickly. Annoying that Allen lost 4 on the bounce to lose 6-3 but Robertson played well. -12.82pts now and will take two on Wednesday. 4pts M.Selby vs S.Lee - Over 5.5 50+ breaks 4/5 Skybet This line looks a bit low to me in the present day climate of plenty of snooker and good scoring conditions. Mark Selby has really scored heavily this season and he has over 20 centuries to his name already which is phenomenal for this stage of the season even though there is more snooker. Stephen Lee is no slouch in the scoring stakes and while he isn't as prolific in the century breaks department he is more than capable of chipping in with a couple of 50 breaks in what I expect to be a losing cause for the big lad. Selby has been in wonderful form all season having won in Shanghai and in a PTC event and making the semi finals of another PTC event. He loves this tournament and we're sure to see a strong game out of him here and I wouldn't be surprised if he won 6 frames with a 50 in each frame so well is he playing. As I say Lee can chip in too so I'm happy to take the 4/5 that we get at least 6 50 breaks. 5pts G.Dott to beat A.Carter 10/11 Betfred Like Western Skies, I fancy Dott to win this. I don't fancy him as strongly as Rob does but I fancy him strongly enough to warrant a halfway house sized bet on him. WS detailed Carter's issues well and I don't need to elaborate too much on those but at some point the bug will come back for Carter it's just a case of when. It could very well be here with him being local, the tournament being so prestigious and the venue so inspiring and we have to factor that into the equation. It then comes down to a do I think Dott will beat Carter even if Carter plays well and the answer is I do. I've been really impressed with Dott for the majority of the season and have had him on my side in a number of PTC events which he has gone well in with no fewer than 4 last 4 appearances including a final. He also made the final in Brazil and seems to be relishing and taking advantage of the extra work opportunities he is being given. Dott did for Higgins in this tournament 12 months ago in this round and however Carter plays in this match I think the former world champion will see to the Essex man here too and set up a rematch with the afforementioned Higgins.

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters 3pts - Selby v Lee - Selby -2.5 @ 2.10 Bluesq As the defending champion last year, Selby was sent crashing out in the 1st round to Mark King. I think he will want to make amends for that today and I'm hoping to see a clinical performance in which he will prevail no worse than 6-3. In the last four meetings between the two they have been very one sided affairs with Selby winning, 5-2, 10-7, 5-1 and 10-3 in the final of this event back in 2008. Selby comes into the tournament on the back of a good year, reaching the final of the China Open and winning the Shanghai masters. To be fair Lee has also seen a resurgence in form and has done well to claw his way back into the top 16. However I think Selby will have too much class for him today and I will take him to cover the handicap.

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters Taking a speculative punt on this afternoon's match. 2pts - S Lee to beat M Selby @ 4.1 with Betfair Logic dictates that Selby will have too much for his opponent here, but if there's one thing I've learnt about betting on the Masters, it's that things very rarely go to plan. Lee could well be on the end of a drubbing here, but he's also a player that is capable of beating anyone on his day. He's no respecter of reputations and when he's on his game he can be an absolute joy to watch. In form opponents don't frighten him, as he showed when beating Mark Williams 5-4 in last season's China Open, despite Mark knocking in 4 century breaks. Apparently, Lee is currently on something of a health drive, aiming to give up alcohol for 3 months and shed some extra pounds, which suggests he's finally becoming aware of the dedication being a top pro requires. Selby is, of course, on sparkling form this season, but he's always prone to throw in the odd under par performance, as he did in the UK (losing to Marco Fu) and in this tournament last year (falling at the 1st hurdle to Mark King). Like I say, it's a purely speculative punt, but at this price I think it's worth a shot.

Taking a speculative punt on this afternoon's match. 2pts - S Lee to beat M Selby @ 4.1 with Betfair Logic dictates that Selby will have too much for his opponent here, but if there's one thing I've learnt about betting on the Masters, it's that things very rarely go to plan. Lee could well be on the end of a drubbing here, but he's also a player that is capable of beating anyone on his day. He's no respecter of reputations and when he's on his game he can be an absolute joy to watch. In form opponents don't frighten him, as he showed when beating Mark Williams 5-4 in last season's China Open, despite Mark knocking in 4 century breaks. Apparently, Lee is currently on something of a health drive, aiming to give up alcohol for 3 months and shed some extra pounds, which suggests he's finally becoming aware of the dedication being a top pro requires. Selby is, of course, on sparkling form this season, but he's always prone to throw in the odd under par performance, as he did in the UK (losing to Marco Fu) and in this tournament last year (falling at the 1st hurdle to Mark King). Like I say, it's a purely speculative punt, but at this price I think it's worth a shot.
Agree, was on the fence to take Selby at around 2/5, now but odds have drifted to 1/3, which is too low considering theres only 11 frames to play. Though about taking Lee on handicap but decided against it. Funny, they dont seem to do Snooker markets on Smarkets! I managed to back Lee at 4.10 on Betfair as well with 1/3 of the stake I was going to back selby with more returns! :hope

3pts - Selby v Lee - Selby -2.5 @ 2.10 Bluesq As the defending champion last year, Selby was sent crashing out in the 1st round to Mark King. I think he will want to make amends for that today and I'm hoping to see a clinical performance in which he will prevail no worse than 6-3. In the last four meetings between the two they have been very one sided affairs with Selby winning, 5-2, 10-7, 5-1 and 10-3 in the final of this event back in 2008. Selby comes into the tournament on the back of a good year, reaching the final of the China Open and winning the Shanghai masters. To be fair Lee has also seen a resurgence in form and has done well to claw his way back into the top 16. However I think Selby will have too much class for him today and I will take him to cover the handicap.
How did this not come in ???? :@ :@ :@ Selby was at the table twice with two breaks of over 50 and failed to finish the frame. He then followed in the brown with only the blue, pink and black left, but of course he then managed to compose himself with a break of over 70 to win the next frame and only win 6-4. :wall :wall :wall

Re: Snooker: 2012 Masters I dont think i have ever seen a more hopeless snooker match than the one i just saw.. How is Lee in the top 16 with a performance like that, he was horrendous, both players missing pots by 6-12 inches, safety was brutal, cue action awful, one thing is for sure Selby wont win the tournament.

How is Lee in the top 16 with a performance like that' date=' he was horrendous[/quote'] Well, in fairness to Stephen Lee, he doesn't play like that every time. :lol As I said, it was a speculative punt on Lee, and, although Selby obliged by throwing in one of his occasional duff performances, Lee didn't start playing until it was far too late. Made for an entertaining match though. Fingers crossed that Dott can do the business for me tonight and avoid this year's Masters heading the same way as 12 months ago for my wallet. :hope http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/9675148.stm

Well' date= in fairness to Stephen Lee, he doesn't play like that every time. :lol As I said, it was a speculative punt on Lee, and, although Selby obliged by throwing in one of his occasional duff performances, Lee didn't start playing until it was far too late. Made for an entertaining match though. Fingers crossed that Dott can do the business for me tonight and avoid this year's Masters heading the same way as 12 months ago for my wallet. :hope http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/9675148.stm
Jaysus, i would hope not.. He played like an amateur for the first few frames.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/16608451.stm Sure this will wind up a few punters on here, looks like his mental health problems are returning.
The plump nob cost me abit of money by not playing properly...If he had just taken one more ******* frame. What he said about Barry Hearn was somewhat understandable but I agree its stepping out of line saying things like this after youve been beaten by someone better than you. And this is me saying this after backing him at 5/4 also.

The plump irish nob cost me abit of money by not playing properly...If he had just taken one more ******* frame. What he said about Barry Hearn was somewhat understandable but I agree its stepping out of line saying things like this after youve been beaten by someone better than you. And this is me saying this after backing him at 5/4 also.
You know there are loads of members on here that are Irish.

Ah, im really sorry Aidymac, I dont really mean it! Not ment to be a vicious insult towards any Irish people! Didnt mean to cause any offense, just typed what I was thinking st the time! Ill remove it.
Its ok mate. :lol He is British anyways ;)

Its ok mate. :lol He is British anyways ;)
Thanks. Dott vs Carter Carter is one my my favourite players and i'd love to see him do well in this years Masters. I know that he has problems over playing snooker and his health issues, but he is still a very composed player as i'd like to discribe him. Dott is the slight favourites going into this match and i'd probably agree, though i'd like to argue Carter is a better player than him and once he gets out there in front of that crowd he should be able to produce his very best. I really do hope he will be around for years to come, and it will be a shame if he chooses to retire. Carter 2.200 Skybet 1/10 (I dont have a Skybet account, Best odds at Pinnacle 2.170) Not one of my most confident picks, and I see plenty of reasons to back Dott tbh. Lets hope Carter's mind is on the game tonight.

5pts G.Dott to beat A.Carter 10/11 Betfred Like Western Skies, I fancy Dott to win this. I don't fancy him as strongly as Rob does but I fancy him strongly enough to warrant a halfway house sized bet on him. WS detailed Carter's issues well and I don't need to elaborate too much on those but at some point the bug will come back for Carter it's just a case of when. It could very well be here with him being local, the tournament being so prestigious and the venue so inspiring and we have to factor that into the equation. It then comes down to a do I think Dott will beat Carter even if Carter plays well and the answer is I do. I've been really impressed with Dott for the majority of the season and have had him on my side in a number of PTC events which he has gone well in with no fewer than 4 last 4 appearances including a final. He also made the final in Brazil and seems to be relishing and taking advantage of the extra work opportunities he is being given. Dott did for Higgins in this tournament 12 months ago in this round and however Carter plays in this match I think the former world champion will see to the Essex man here too and set up a rematch with the afforementioned Higgins.
This write up convinced me and I took it the moment he lost the first frame. Thanks again dude. :cigar :nana