** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1

maliniok

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1

Hi guys. Any idea why Norwich odds are so high ? Thanks
I think Burnley would be a better play here, mate. Our cup form is horrendous: http://www.soccerway.com/teams/england/norwich-city-fc/ and there's sure to be rotation today. Burnley have just been beaten at Leeds, after being ahead with two minutes to play, which, as daft as it sounds, may actually make them more dangerous today, as all season they've bounced back from defeats well. Think Burnley are 3.00 Draw No Bet, which looks pretty decent.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, and have been waiting for someone to share my opinion online. However, if you dont mind me asking, how many units were u planning on putting into this? 1.11 is short in general, so id imagine to make a significant profit ud have to put a significant amount of units into this. Does it then become a risk not worth taking? Also, would u consider, Spurs -1 normal handicap @ 1.45? or Spurs -2 AH @ 1.72. I realise the rates from my bookie (sportsbet Aus) may not be the same as yours, but they shouldnt be too far apart. I have spurs to win priced @ 1.14
I think it's down to how confident you are. If you're certain they're gonna do it, is it any riskier than sticking £14 on a bet at evens?

I agree with you, and have been waiting for someone to share my opinion online. However, if you dont mind me asking, how many units were u planning on putting into this? 1.11 is short in general, so id imagine to make a significant profit ud have to put a significant amount of units into this. Does it then become a risk not worth taking? Also, would u consider, Spurs -1 normal handicap @ 1.45? or Spurs -2 AH @ 1.72. I realise the rates from my bookie (sportsbet Aus) may not be the same as yours, but they shouldnt be too far apart. I have spurs to win priced @ 1.14
The strength of the bet is 10/10 so its a maximum bet for me. I only bet for fun if I make money on the way they fine but I only bet what I can afford to lose which should be the same for everyone so what a maximum bet for me is would be different for everyone else. I have also only gone for a straight win to gain back a point that i lost last week on another game. Now its a dangerous game chasing points but I am very confident that this will win. If it loses I am not going to be broke. Good luck what ever you pick.

Any news about reason of plunging down odds for Derby ?
There is a bug going around Palace but I don't think its that serious. I presume people are backing Derby because they think Palace will be distracted by the Carling cup game on Tuesday.

I think four - six units on this bet , dont treat it like a compulsive gambler on a roulette wheel, make a decent punt and try get that return. i believe its a safe bet. then again i thought man u to beat blackburn was to. so good luck :ok

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Four games for Saturday: Wolves vs Birmingham (12:30) Both teams are in abit of a trouble in their respective leagues and I cannot see this as a priority for both of them. Knowing Hughton, his job will be to get Birmingham back in the premier league as soon as possible, having learnt last season that premier league survival was much more important that the Carling cup. Mick Mcarthy will undoubtably want to win every game with his attitute. He picked strong squads for away games to face opposition in the carling cup earlier this season, though then they were very confortable in the league. Now, hovering in the relegation zone, there will be pressures of league survival to prioritise before enjoying a good cup run. So the main difference I think to seperate these two is their attitutes towards the game. I think overall McCarthy will hype up their team and at least get a replay back at molinuex to boost some confidence, as the last thing they want is an early FA cup exit, with their sole competition left the premier league and survival. I fancy wolves to field a strong team against an organised Birmingham squad under Hughton. Wolves +0.5 1.690 Pinnacle 10/10 Wolves -0.5 3.350 Pinnacle 4/10 Swindon vs Wigan First thought was goals. Wigan's play style have conceaded them alot of cheap goals, and that will be picked up by Di Canio. Both managers have excellent potential and will be an interesting lineup. Swindon have picked up reasonable results, winning many games to nil, having a solid reliable defence. Wigan themselves have had trouble scoring goals, and their tally is the lowest in all 4 divisions this season. This contradicts my initial thought of overs. However, Martinez earlier picked a very strong squad against crystal palace away (though they lost 2 - 1), showing that he does care about cup competitions; and loves to quote "we want to be competitive in every game we play". Again though at the time they were confortable in the league, having started the season with two draws that they should have won possibly and a win over QPR. Callum Mcmanaman might start with wigan after coming back from a good loan spell from Blackpool. Crusat is out, but id expect new signings such as Jones or Maloney to possibly start. Again, though poor in their own league, Wigan are a premier league side and will want to spare any embarassments of being beat by a league 2 side. Finally I get a feel that the Martinez strategy will work well against lower league two sides. Theres a nice big pitch at the county ground to suit Wigans play style. Strong squad and 3 leagues apart? I fancy some value in Wigan and dont see them keeping a clean sheet, hence satisfying these bets: Wigan -0.5 2.800 Pinnacle 5/10 Over 2.5 2.110 (was suprised by this price), Pinnacle 10/10 Might possibly take stabs at over 3.5 and even 4.5, though without much reason. Norwich vs Burnley I cannot understand the price on Norwich. I know that Norwich lost heavily last time out in the Carling cup, this time it should be different having a confortable league position and a sellout crowd at Carrow Road. I'd expect lambert to pick a strong side to win the game confortably and the playes will have much more determination and will than Burnleys, being confotable in the premier league Lambert may even see this as a trophy they can win, having shown they can compete against the top sides the likes of Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool. Quite a simple value bet for me: Norwich -0.5 1.960 Pinnacle 10/10 Norwich -1.5 3.500 5/10 Newcastle vs Blackburn What a win that was against Man Utd, and St James park will be buzzing, and probably expecting a win now against Blackburn (though who themslves managed to beat Utd at their own patch earlier). In the meeting of these two earlier this season Newcastle won 3 - 1 quite confortably, with Demba ba scoring a hattrick. However, he has left for the African cup of nations along of Tiote, both are extremely important for newcastle. However in the cups, it was blackburn who dealt the final blow in a thriller 4 - 3 win aet at Ewood, (though it was like Newcastle playing at home with more away fans than home). Kean will again pick a strong squad despite their league position and he will have nearly his whole squad to pick from. Without Ba and Tiote, I cannot see newcastle as a 8/13 favourite at home. I agree they are stronger than blackburn, but blackburn have been playing very well and their loss against stoke after their triumph at old trafford was undeserved! I'd expect newcastle to be 5/6 favourites, especially looking at the price on Norwich to beat Burnley! This bet could fail horribly knowing Blackburn, hence im not taking big handicaps as on a bad day I think they can easily be beat 2 - 0 or 3 - 1 again by the Toon: Blackburn 6.360 3/10 Pinnacle Blackburn+0.5 2.500 10/10 Pinnacle

Wolves DNB (2.38 currently) - is another one, but I’ll be waiting to see what team Birmingham put out rather than Wolves. With a promotion push very much the focus in the second half of the season I think Hughton won’t be too keen on a cup run, although I guess his hand could be forced as this is a local derby and the fans wont be too happy if they allow Wolves an easy route through.
Looking at the team news, think I will get on; Wolves DNB 2.2 at William Hill (2 units) Both managers have taken the chance to rotate a little but Birmingham have made 7 changes with a number of younger players like Mutch and Redmond coming in. The back up players Wolves have brought in (Ebanks-Blake & Keightly) have more quality in my eyes and will help them here. Wolves have included Doyle, Henry and Johnson and Hunt so still have a very solid core and they have the in form Fletcher on the bench to bring on if things are still tight. :hope

Looking at the team news, think I will get on; Wolves DNB 2.2 at William Hill (2 units) Both managers have taken the chance to rotate a little but Birmingham have made 7 changes with a number of younger players like Mutch and Redmond coming in. The back up players Wolves have brought in (Ebanks-Blake & Keightly) have more quality in my eyes and will help them here. Wolves have included Doyle, Henry and Johnson and Hunt so still have a very solid core and they have the in form Fletcher on the bench to bring on if things are still tight. :hope
Agree with that and have done the same bet :ok Also done Wrexham, and Stoke. GL :hope

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 a few of my accumulators: stoke reading derby blackpool all to win :) Then: Charlton v fulham-draw Newcastle to win Bristol rovers v aston villa- Draw then mkdons bristol city shrewsbury hopefully 1 of them will come through, :hope

Newcastle vs Blackburn What a win that was against Man Utd, and St James park will be buzzing, and probably expecting a win now against Blackburn (though who themslves managed to beat Utd at their own patch earlier). In the meeting of these two earlier this season Newcastle won 3 - 1 quite confortably, with Demba ba scoring a hattrick. However, he has left for the African cup of nations along of Tiote, both are extremely important for newcastle. However in the cups, it was blackburn who dealt the final blow in a thriller 4 - 3 win aet at Ewood, (though it was like Newcastle playing at home with more away fans than home). Kean will again pick a strong squad despite their league position and he will have nearly his whole squad to pick from. Without Ba and Tiote, I cannot see newcastle as a 8/13 favourite at home. I agree they are stronger than blackburn, but blackburn have been playing very well and their loss against stoke after their triumph at old trafford was undeserved! I'd expect newcastle to be 5/6 favourites, especially looking at the price on Norwich to beat Burnley! This bet could fail horribly knowing Blackburn, hence im not taking big handicaps as on a bad day I think they can easily be beat 2 - 0 or 3 - 1 again by the Toon: Blackburn 6.360 3/10 Pinnacle Blackburn+0.5 2.500 10/10 Pinnacle
i expect steve keane to "sacrifice" this trophy tbh, the only priority he has is the league, i expect newcastle to win comfortably.

a few of my accumulators: stoke reading derby blackpool all to win :) Then: Charlton v fulham-draw Newcastle to win Bristol rovers v aston villa- Draw then mkdons bristol city shrewsbury hopefully 1 of them will come through, :hope
accumulators and bets without reasoning belong in the weekend/midweek bets thread :ok http://forum.punterslounge.com/f6/weekend-bets-6-9-january-125310/ ... GL with your bets :)

i expect steve keane to "sacrifice" this trophy tbh' date=' the only priority he has is the league, i expect newcastle to win comfortably.[/quote'] Yes, Kean did say he sacrifised the Carling cup, having fielded a weaker side that he could have. After they were knocked out and later said to regret it. I cant be too confident of the lineups, and of course, Newcastle are the favourites. The question is the extent.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 2 games for me in the FA Cup Gillingham vs Stoke Home side does well in League Two, especially at home where they are hardly to be defeated. Stoke will try again to reach European Cups this year also and the easiest way is on the Cups. There is no doubt that Stoke reserves did well in UEFA so they can do it again in this Cup. Gills will not have on the pitch Joe Martin, suspended! Stoke will play with Begovic, defender Upson and strikers Jerome and Jones. away -0.75 AH @ 1.81 with Pinnacle Sports West Brom vs Cardiff West Brom could be without eight first-team regulars against Cardiff City. Chris Brunt (ankle), Zoltan Gera (knee), Shane Long (back), Steven Reid, Jonas Olsson (calf), Jerome Thomas (groin), James Morrison (hamstring) and Youssouf Mulumbu (groin) are doubtful. This is not something that is not going to count. Cardiff is a solid team with a great manager, Malcky Mackay and they will want to explore more inside this competition. How about a final and a promotion for this season?! Cardiff will be boosted by the return of the right back McNaughton. With West Brom having problems in scoring goals lately and with an away side scoring 2-3 goal sby match in CHampionship, will see an interesting game. away +0.75 AH @ 1.88 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Norwich - Burnley This is FA cup game , and of course some rotations are expected. Norwich is one of the most offensive teams in Premier League, but exaclty with this tactic they managed to surprise a lot of teams, and are taking good table position despite they are newcomers. Norwich is playing offensive minded football, but concede a lot of goals and IMO they are sitll without a single clean sheet from the beggining of the season. Norwich got 6 overs in their last 8 home games. Burnley are in the middle of the championship table, far from the play-off spots, but should be interested to perform good in this competition, as to eliminate Premier League side is always a challenge. Burnley is always playing offensive football, and managed to score away from home in 10 of their last 12 visits. Burnley made 6 overs in their last 7 away matches. Two offensive minded teams are gonna face each other today in FA Cup and looking at their shaky defense I expect goal festival here over 3.5 goals 3.00 @ Stan James

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Swindon - Wigan The 4th placed in League 2, Swindon, leaded by Paolo Di Canio, will face Premier League side - Wigan today for FA Cup. Di Canio said that this is gonna be very special game for them, and the motivation will be high as sky. Swindon is more than solid at home, as the team got 8-3-0 in their last 11 matches here. They are scoring a lot of goals here, as they managed to score 2 or more goals in 9 of their last 11 home games. Wigan is having bad run of 5 matches without win. The team got huge problems in Premier League as it seems they are involved in the relegation battle and will have troubles to avoid it. Wigan lost their last game with 1:4 at home from Sunderland, and actually concede 11 goals in last 3 matches, making 2;2 with Stoke and losing 5:0 from MU. Away from home Wigan got 2-1-7 in their last 10 away games. Wigan scored 2 or more goals in 3 of their last 4 visits, and I expect them motivated to bounce back. winning some confidence for the incoming important matches in Premier League next week. I expect hosts to be aggressive , searching goals and trying to use their home advantage, but in the same time there should be huge class difference, despite Wigan is not playing their best football. Goasl are expected over 3.5 goals 3.50 @ Sportingbet

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Gillingham - Stoke Stoke City, In the 2009-2010 season in the Cup, they were able to eliminate Arsenal and Manchester City. Then, team lost in the quarterfinals to Chelsea. In the 2010-2011 season, in theyr way teams like Cardiff, Wolverhampton, Brighton, West Ham and Bolton. Losing in the finals to Manchester City 0-1. This drawing from 2011-2012 in the tournament, looks very successful for Stoke. Stoke City have taller than the average, players. It will be a very big advantage over his rival. Stoke is just as dangerous in the short balss, throws and presure in the penalty area of the opponent, corners. All these moments will be in today and I believe that it should ultimately be successful for the PL team. Gillingham is on the 6th spot in their league, they also make every effort to break through as far as possible in a cup. About them I know nothing. Logical outcome of this game will be a walkover Stoke Reccomended: Stoke (-0.75) @ 1.85 Bet365

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 I have gone for the following 4 team accumulator. All odds are at Bet365. Crawley v BRISTOL CITY @ 3.50 Crawley are a good side, not to be underestimated. However, our new manager Derek McInnes is shrewd enough to understand this and has put out our best XI, including Nicky Maynard who many thought would be cup-tied. The high price I think is due to our poor league position, which is deceiving as we are playing fantastic football at times at the moment. A 2 division gap should be too much for Crawley, who are no longer the unknown side that they were before. Gillingham v STOKE @ 1.61 Stoke are a physical side who should easily be able to cope with League One style football, and as such their class should prevail. As well as this, Tony Pulis is an ex-Gillingham manager and is likely to have kept an eye on the club throughout his career. He could well have a higher understanding of their team than many other opponents would. Once again, the gulf in divisions should be too much. Fleetwood Town v BLACKPOOL @ 2.00 Once again, I feel the gap in quality should be too much. Blackpool are no mugs and are flirting with the play-offs in the Championship. Fleetwood are priding high in the Conference but a 3 division gap is still huge. It is hardly an away game, with the game being played just up the road from Bloomfield Road, and Blackpool should have the toughness to overcome this team. TOTTENHAM v Cheltenham @ 1.20 Harry Redknapp likes the FA Cup and will want to beat Cheltenham today. Spurs are hanging around 2nd/3rd spot in the Premier League which is an incredible achievement and shows they are playing brilliant football. Cheltenham are also flying high but with a 3 division gap this can be irrelevant. Even if Spurs field a few youngsters, their youth system is one of the best. Acummulator has total odds of 13.52

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 I've been awaiting starting line ups on the Macclesfield vs Bolton game and Bolton have gone for a strong team (no Cahill obviously but Klasnic, Davies, Petrov & Reo Coker all start) so I can only see an away win there today. Odds are decent enough against a mid table League 2 side with a few selection issues of their own. Macclesfield vs Bolton - Bolton to win 1.58 at Bet365 (3 units) Also as has been mentioned on here in the last couple of pages I like the look of the overs in Swindon vs Wigan. Both teams have a very positive football philosophy which should result in a good specticle today hopefully with a few goals. Wigan should be the superior team but have rested a few players and that will give confidence to Swindon that an upset is possible . With Di Canio as manager and some good recent home form Swindon wont be lacking in confidence or motivation. Swindon vs Wigan - over 2.5 goals 2.05 at Sporting Bet (2 Units) :hope

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 just repeating what u guys said about Aston Villa Sport Football (England - Cups) Event Bristol Rovers - Aston Villa Selection Aston Villa(-2)AH Strength 7/10 Date 07/01/2012 Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 3.10 Reasoning Should be a simple game for Aston Villa here. Their coach Alex McLeish enjoys cup competitions, as he managed an excellent achievement with Birmingham last season in winning the League Cup. With no Europa League prospect in the Premier League at the moment, it is certain that Aston Villa will look to make a good run here in the FA Cup. As a results Alex said he will use his strongest possible line-up in this game. Bristol Rovers are in deep mess. After relegating from Legue One just a season ago, now they are failing to cope with life in the England League Two as well and find themselves in the relegation zone. They are conceding a lot of goals this season, no mather if home or away. 47 goals concede in 24 games, and have 9 games without a win in the league. To make matters worse, their first choice goalkeeper Bevan and top goalscorer Hafford are both out for this game. Aston Villa should be crusing in this game, and odds have been going down all day.

Gillingham - Stoke Stoke City, In the 2009-2010 season in the Cup, they were able to eliminate Arsenal and Manchester City. Then, team lost in the quarterfinals to Chelsea. In the 2010-2011 season, in theyr way teams like Cardiff, Wolverhampton, Brighton, West Ham and Bolton. Losing in the finals to Manchester City 0-1. This drawing from 2011-2012 in the tournament, looks very successful for Stoke. Stoke City have taller than the average, players. It will be a very big advantage over his rival. Stoke is just as dangerous in the short balss, throws and presure in the penalty area of the opponent, corners. All these moments will be in today and I believe that it should ultimately be successful for the PL team. Gillingham is on the 6th spot in their league, they also make every effort to break through as far as possible in a cup. About them I know nothing. Logical outcome of this game will be a walkover Stoke Reccomended: Stoke (-0.75) @ 1.85 Bet365
2 games for me in the FA Cup Gillingham vs Stoke Home side does well in League Two, especially at home where they are hardly to be defeated. Stoke will try again to reach European Cups this year also and the easiest way is on the Cups. There is no doubt that Stoke reserves did well in UEFA so they can do it again in this Cup. Gills will not have on the pitch Joe Martin, suspended! Stoke will play with Begovic, defender Upson and strikers Jerome and Jones. away -0.75 AH @ 1.81 with Pinnacle Sports Are you boys still confident about this? they've let in an early goal. I made sure before the game started that the line-ups was strong =S. If they pull one back before half time, we should be fairly safe. I took Stoke (-0.25) @ 1.74

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Jumping on Aston Villa -1 @ 2.05 Bwin I like the team selection McLeish has put out. I also have first hand experience of how bad a poor League 2 team can be (Northampton fan) so I can't see any other result than a convincing villa win here. Villa may have been inconsistent, however they have had tough games recently, Liverpool, Arsenal and Stoke away so I think they can pull through this with ease.

Jumping on Aston Villa -1 @ 2.05 Bwin I like the team selection McLeish has put out. I also have first hand experience of how bad a poor League 2 team can be (Northampton fan) so I can't see any other result than a convincing villa win here. Villa may have been inconsistent, however they have had tough games recently, Liverpool, Arsenal and Stoke away so I think they can pull through this with ease.
Yes, plus as with he did with Birmingham we know Mcleish cares about these cup competitons! Though now the teamsheets are out the odds are to terrible to back imo, as weve seen earlier, League 2 sides are perfectly capable of tearing down premier league opposition.