** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Darts: BDO World Championship 2012

kevshat

After the thrills and spills of the PDC World Championship the attention moves to the Lakeside Country Club in Frimley Green for the BDO World Championship. Thanks to the Grand Slam there are a lot more household names in the tournament this year. ESPN and BBC share the coverage this year with the tournament starting on Saturday afternoon. Fire away gents :ok

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 First things first, want to add my congratulations to the successful tipsters on the PDC thread. A magnificent effort, a great read and some long priced winners flagged up. I'm only a mere mortal, and going to start off with an unadventureous odds-on, first round match betting pick. Alan Norris to beat Benito Van de Pas 10/11 Skybet On WDF rankings these two players look equally matched. Norris is ranked 10, Van de Pas, ranked 11. Both have had a decent 2011, picking up a couple of titles each, reaching the business ends of other tournaments and taking out some of the big names along the way. The 10/11 on offer looks generous though when you look at the head to head between the two. The two players have met twice in 2011. In the Luxembourg Open in October, Norris beat Van de Pas 4-1 in the quarter final, on his way to taking the title. A month later, in the Czech Open, Norris beat Van de Pas 4-2, again in a quarter final, before being narrowly defeated by Winstanley, 6-5 in the final. The other edge that Norris has is experience. This will be his fourth year at Lakeside. He seems to enjoy playing in front of the cameras and a big crowd. This is a Lakeside debut for Van de Pas and for some it can be an intimidating stage.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Hey everyone great tipping in the PDC,i happen to think Dean Winstanley could be a great bet.Played some great darts in grandslam really looks a good player.Anyone any thoughts very keen to hear what Kevshat and Fishys opinions are

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012

Hey everyone great tipping in the PDC' date='i happen to think Dean Winstanley could be a great bet.Played some great darts in grandslam really looks a good player.Anyone any thoughts very keen to hear what Kevshat and Fishys opinions are[/quote'] I like Winstanley too, think he's too big at 11/2 considering Waites is 4/1. An outside shot I was fancying was Jan Dekker at 33/1. A young man at only 21 years old who reached the semis last year and is definitely a better player a year on. He'd be due to face Winstanley a round earlier this year though in the quarters, where he might be at a slight advantage due to the slightly shorter format. Hankey/Waites in the semis as well but still think he's a decent e/w shout at 33/1.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 My yearly venture into darts where i duly do my doe every year. My two very small fun/enjoyment bets for viewing purpose that i'm already on are Jan Dekker e/w 33/1 who went well last year, dutch players get good support here and they do pretty well in this and there has been a few quid for him as there has been for my other e/w selection 80/1 now best priced 66's Paul Jennings from the north east of England who's had a good year winning a couple of minor tournaments and who could turn out to be a dark horse in this and has the easier side of the draw imo.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Scott Waites to win 4/1 Bet365 Waites is the class player of the BDO consistently achieving averages most BDO players can only dream of. He has a poor record at the world champs for someone of his ability: never managing to get past the quarter finals. However I believe the disappointment of the Grand slam of darts this year will make him even more determined to win the world champs this year. He is currently in good form recently winning the Zuiderduin masters with an average of 99. The obvious dangers are Winstanley and Adams. However Waites holds a 3-1 head to head over Winstanley including a 7-2 victory this year in the Winmau world masters. Although behind in his head to heads with Adams it’s significant that Waites has won the last three. He potentially has a difficult second round tie against Hankey but I believe he will come through it.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Paul Jennings ew 66/1 Sadly the 100/1 that was widely available on Jennings a few days ago has gone; but 66/1 is still available with Ladbrokes. Jennings is a decent match player and knows how to win tournaments. This year he has won four tournaments culminating with the Latvian open. Unfortunately he has a difficult draw but if the big names underperform 66/1 is too long for someone of his ability.

Paul Jennings ew 66/1 Sadly the 100/1 that was widely available on Jennings a few days ago has gone; but 66/1 is still available with Ladbrokes. Jennings is a decent match player and knows how to win tournaments. This year he has won four tournaments culminating with the Latvian open. Unfortunately he has a difficult draw but if the big names underperform 66/1 is too long for someone of his ability.
Ive played against Paul in Finnish Open and also chalked a few of his games there and he was awesome on that day, every dart that wasnt a treble wasnt more than 5mm off. I also played him as outright to 100 to 1 and evs in first game. reasoning: Gary has never played well on the stage imo, he has always been a good county player but not yet on the Lakeside stege.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 1pt E/W [2pts] {12/1} Bet365 Ted Hankey Outright 1pt E/W [2pts] {11/2} Bet365 Winstanley Outright Will take an oldie and a youngy for this tournament. Hankey has been there and done it. I can't see him getting the kind of nerves that some of these players will feel. He has a tough 2nd round game against the fav (Waites) and I think that's the only reason why we have 12/1. If he makes it past him expect them odds to shrink drastic. Winstanley is the up'n'coming. He has won some serious amount of events recently including the English, German and Belgium open and he would meet Hankey in the semi's (if both come up). Would leave us with a 11/2 or 12/1 shot in the final.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Not really sure if I'm looking forward to the tournament or not really. Obviously we won't see the same prolonged quality we did in the PDC, but there's usually some really good matches to watch so let's hope it's a decent tournament from both a fan's and punter's perspective. Trying to look for some value in the outrights but have taken one main bet if you like. Dean Winstanley to win BDO World Championship- 11/2 Ladbrokes- (1.5/10) E/W I'm taking this now as the price could well slip down to 5/1 where it is with virtually every over bookie. Feel Winstanley is well set to go one better than last year where he was beaten in the final by Adams. He has had a really good season and in my opinion, should really be ranked number one for the tournament, given the amount of darts he has played and the success he's had. He has won 2 events this year, whilst also making the final of the BDO World Masters where Scott Waites beat him. We saw both at Lakeside last year and at the Grand Slam that he can play and can hold himself well on the big stage. He won all 3 of his group matches a couple of months ago in the Grand Slam, beating Barneveld and Hankey, but what impressed me most in actual fact was how he played in his defeat to Mark Walsh. He lost 10-9 in that match, but he fought really well and pushed Walsh all the way, averaging above a ton in that match. If he does that or gets anywhere near to a 3 figure average in his matches, at this standard, it should see him through for the majority of the time regardless of his opponent. His finishing isn't the greatest as his counting isn't the best when it comes down to the checkouts but he can consistently score well and he is rightfully one of the favourites for the tournament in my opinion. I don't see too many problems for him in the bottom half of the draw, perhaps with the exceptions of Waites/Hankey and Dekker, who I will cover in a different post. Thing I don't like about Waites is his history in this tournament, as he has failed to make it past the quarter final which although shouldn't really get to a guy who is arguably the best player in the BDO, it just makes me question whether he will ever win this tournament. We saw how Gary Anderson struggled to really get going in this tournament before he switched to the PDC and Waites is pretty similar in that respect so I'm doubtful to how well Waites will do despite his credentials. The experience of getting to a final should see Winstanley go well this year I think, and there's nobody in his half of the draw he won't fancy beating. He won't have to play Adams unless they both make the final which I see as a boost for Winstanley, and to be honest, I'm entirely convinced that Adams will make it past the quarter final this year but again I'll move onto that. I do like Winstanley's chances to go one better than last year so I'll back him as my main guy for the tournament.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 And for the rest. Quite a few here, just trying to look for the value as this year looks to be really open in my opinion. Will see if I get all these written up by the time the tournament actually starts :lol If anyone is struggling to sleep tonight, just browse through this and you'll be alright :ok Ross Montgomery to win BDO World Championship- 25/1 Sportingbet- (1/10) E/W Ross Montgomery to win 1st Quarter- 6/1 Bet365- (2/10) Starting in the first quarter which contains most notably perhaps Tony O'Shea and the defending champ Martin Adams but to me Montgomery is a big threat. He has been in decent form this year, winning 3 events and making the semis of the Masters and comes in this week, off the back of making the semis in the Zuiderduin Masters as well so he should have some confidence in his darts I'd imagine. What I like most about him in this quarter though is the potential banana skins that Adams and O'Shea could well slip up on. Martin Adams is now on the board of the BDO so he is essentially running it and playing in it at the same time which I don't see benefiting him whatsoever and over a short format of the best of 5, he could well slip up to Mitchell in the first round. I just don't see that move onto the board as anything other than a bad decision for Wolfie and it's left to be seen how well he goes this year, I'm not sure he'll make it out of the quarter. Where O'Shea is concerned, he hasn't been in any sort of form for a little while now. He wasn't impressive at the Grand Slam in the slightest I don't feel, as his usual heavy scoring game deserted him, whilst his finishing wasn't anything to write home about. Even if he makes it through his first round match with Steve West, which is no cert by any counts, I'd be strongly fancying Montgomery to beat him. I really do like Ross to come out of this quarter and although he may have to beat Adams and O'Shea to do it, I would fancy him to beat both if he can remain solid. If he does make it out of the quarter, he will avoids the likes of Waites, Hankey and Winstanley as they are all in the bottom half of the draw so his semi final potential opponents won't scare him. I like Montgomery's draw here and despite the couple of threats in his quarter, I think he can come through it and surprise a few people. Martin Phillips to win BDO World Championship- 18/1 Sportingbet- (1/10)E/W Martin Phillips to win 2nd Quarter- 7/2 Sportingbet- (2/10) I don't get these prices, I really don't. First of all I don't see how on earth he is a 7/2 shot to come through this quarter as there is nobody he shouldn't be beating. I know alot of people fancy Jennings to go well and also Fitton but Phillips, in my honest opinion, is good enough to play in the PDC, which isn't something you can say about alot of guys on the BDO books. On his day, he can score with anyone, and his finishing is usually pretty solid, making him a really tough player to beat. The only reason he is unseeded is due to the lack of darts he plays as he works on the bins so doesn't play in too many tournaments like the other guys but on his day he can beat anyone. Some may say this quarter is wide open but I'm not so sure. It's a bit of a coin toss who comes through out of Fitton and Green really, but Phillips I'd back to beat both. Fitton misses a ton of doubles and that really lets him down as he can score really well which perhaps might see him through that one however against the Welshman I'm unsure. Phillips is just very consistent and good all round which is something you don't see all to often in the BDO. Any chances given to him he will take as we saw in the Grand Slam where he almost made the quarters, but for a narrow loss to Mark Webster. Same applies to Phillips as does to Montgomery really, I think he will really fancy a run this year looking at his draw and will know he can beat any of these guys he will have to play. As long as he doesn't let the occasion get to him which is sometimes a slight risk with Phillips despite him being around for donkeys years, he is more than capable of coming through this quarter and even a final appearance wouldn't come as any shock to me if he made it. Wesley Harms to win BDO World Championship- 100/1 Sportingbet- (0.5/10) E/W Wesley Harms to win 2nd Quarter- 20/1 Sportingbet- (1/10) I know he actually plays Phillips in the first round so at least one of the two guys will be sent home but this price is utterly ridiculous, like stupidly ridiculous. Fair enough, he may get beat 3-0 by Phillips but I'm still happy to back him even if that does happen. To have a guy who has probably played the most darts out of anyone in the tournament last year at this price astounds me. Not to mention that he won the BDO International Open last year, beating Stephen Bunting in the final and made a handful of semis and quarters throughout the year so where this price has been plucked from, I really don't know. He will be the underdog against Phillips and although I do expect the Welshman to beat him, it's not a given and Harms can give a game to anyone in the BDO I fancy. If he does manage to beat Phillips this price will look huge and although I'm not saying he will, it just represents value to me this bet. Ted Hankey to win BDO World Championship- 14/1 Coral- (1/10)E/W Ted Hankey to win 3rd Quarter- 7/2 Sportingbet- (2/10) It looks as though the bookies are only really giving two guys a chance in this quarter and that's Waites and Hankey and I'd have to agree with that despite both likely to meet in the second round. John Walton could be a threat to both guys but if either Waites or Hankey were at the races, they should win comfortably against John Boy. So to be honest in my eyes this is essentially Hankey to beat Waites at 7/2 for the quarter which obviously is a big price but I think he could go well in the tournament to be honest. As I've said Waites has struggled at Lakeside, not making it past the quarter final stage before and that can play on the mind of any player. Anywhere else away from the World Championship I wouldn't back Hankey to beat Waites, as Scotty 2 Hotty can average the 3 figure mark consistently when playing well and take out 9 darters, that's how good he is but he is yet to show that form on this stage and that is a worry for me. He's won virtually all the big trophies in the BDO, as well as winning the Grand Slam where be came back and beat James Wade and I doubt it will be too long before he does eventually move to the PDC and try his luck there and hope to follow in Gary Anderson's footsteps, another guy who struggled at Lakeside. There was huge talk last year about Hankey moving over to the PDC and perhaps being a possible wildcard in the PL next season but it hasn't happened yet. Whether he will stay on the BDO's ranks I'm unsure and I think that will motivate him a fair bit this year, especially if he comes up against Scott Waites in the early rounds. At the Grand Slam he couldn't hit a double to save his life in his first round match, but he bounced back well and beat Ian White and Barney and eventually could have even made the semis, as he just left it too late to fight back against Mark Walsh. As the crowd started warming to his antics, he started to play really well and confidently, something I haven't seen of him since his win here in 2009. If he can repeat that form, he has a real chance this year in my eyes. Obviously Scott Waites is the real danger to him early on, but in this shorter format, Hankey is not without a chance and with the PDC probably somewhere in both guy's minds, that well cause Hankey to really up his game for the tournament. Waites won this encounter 3-0 last year and no doubt Hankey will want to reverse the history books and record a win here. If he gets past Waites, he could well be a danger for the rest so feel he is worth a punt here for both the quarter and the tournament. Jan Dekker to win BDO World Championship- 33/1 Ladbrokes- (1/10)E/W Jan Dekker to win 4th Quarter- 13/2 Sportingbet- (2/10) I've already spoken about how I fancy Winstanley to go really well in the tournament this year, but one guy who screams value to me in his quarter in the Dutchman who won't have to play him until the third round. There's one thing that appeals to me most about Dekker, and that is his finishing. What you will come to see in this tournament, something that really makes the BDO differ from that of the PDC is the missed doubles which we will see in excessive amounts over the coming week or so. A lot of the guys in the BDO can score well, but their finishing when it comes to crucial moments is poor in truth. Adams is probably the best finisher in the BDO but I wouldn't put Dekker far behind him. He may not hit tons of 180s, but his finishing is usually pretty sound and that could win him more matches than you think in the tournament. If we just take the Grand Slam as an example, discounting the match against John Part where nerves obviously played a part, in his final two matches against Arron Monk and Mark Webster, his finishing stood at 71% 60%, which although may not win you matches in the PDC, it certainly will in the BDO is has to be said. If he can checkout like that, he could be a real threat and that's why I feel he is worth taking. He did win one tournament last year, and made quite a few semis and quarter finals but he is still young and developing his game but as we have seen from the likes of Jelle Klaasen in the past and Dekker last year, you can well cause some shocks in this tournament. He did make the semis here last year which should give him confidence and the belief in himself that he knows he can beat good players here. I do see the threat to him as Winstanley and I expect them to play eachother in the third round, but think it's worth backing Dekker as well given his finishing capabilities.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 All kicks off this afternoon then and I'm taking 5 in total for the first session. Ron Meulenkamp to beat Gary Stone- 4/6 Ladbrokes- (3/10) I wouldn't take this bet if it was any shorter but I do think Meulenkamp will win this one. Gary Stone doesn't play very much at all throughout the year and this is the first time he has qualified for the World Championship. Meulenkamp is a much more regular player on the tour and plays in all of the big tournaments if you like. He managed to make the final of the Belgium Open, where he beat the likes of Wesley Harms, Stephen Bunting and Gary Robson. He also pinched a couple of legs of Phil Taylor when he played him last year, as well as beating Jelle Klaasen which shows he can clearly play. Like Stone, it will also be the Dutchman's first appearance at the World Championship but he has far more experience and he did play in the World Masters last year, so I'd fancy him to be the less nervous of the two players. We've seen Dutch players go well in this tournament before and I fancy another to win his opening match here. Steve West (+1.5 sets) to beat Tony O'Shea- Evens Ladbrokes- (3/10) Under 5.5 180s- 6/5 Bet365- (3/10) Not brave enough to back West to win the match but feel he is worth a punt on the handicap here. Tony O'Shea didn't have the best of years in 2011 and won just two matches in the major tournaments, and lost 3-1 to Ross Smith here last year. He has however got a good record in this tournament, losing in the final to Ted Hankey in 2009 and losing in the semis to Dave Chisnall in 2010 so his record is pretty impressive but his form last year worries me with O'Shea. Tony West has never won a match here in the World Championship but he has taken Ted Hankey and Dave Chisnall all the way to 5 sets before but never gotten over the finish line. He won a couple of tournaments last year and pushed Martin Phillips and Ted Hankey close when he played them so he can clearly play. He actually wasn't that far away from qualifying for the Grand Slam, and next year it's expected that he and his brother will try to play on the PDC tour so no doubt he will be looking to impress. Given he is likely to make the switch though, I doubt there will be much pressure on his shoulders whereas O'Shea will be looking to pick up some ranking points and with him not being at his best for a while, I fancy West to win at least a couple of sets here, and could well win the match but the handicap is at a good enough for me to be a bit conservative here. I am taking the unders on the 180s though and I have a feeling it is a bet I will be taking a fair bit in the early rounds. Both O'Shea and West are pretty heavy scorers on their day but whether we will see 6 180s, I'm unsure. I've spoken about O'Shea not playing his best darts for a little while now and with that we don't see his scoring be as destructive as it can be. In his 3 Grand Slam matches, he hit 8 in total in 23 legs and normally we'd see Silverback hit a fair few more than that. Early on in this match it may take O'Shea a while to find his range given the way he has been playing hence why I'm taking the handicap, but in that time I don't expect him to hit shed loads of maximums. He only hit 2 maximums in his defeat to Ross Smith last year, and even back in 2010 when he made the semi final, he didn't hit excessive amounts. West can score heavily but what I like is that if Tony really scores well, I don't see O'Shea putting up too much of a fight if his recent performances are anything to go by. Granted both are very heavy scorers on their day, but it's been a while since O'Shea saw one of those and I'm not convinced his form will completely transform tomorrow. If he isn't playing well his scoring isn't really that great, which will require West to hit quite a few maximums. Although he is more than capable of running this line close of his own, I think I'll take my chances and back the unders at an attractive price. Ross Montgomery (-1.5 sets) to beat Fabian Roosenbrand- Evens Blue Square- (4/10) Under 4.5 180s- 4/5 Blue Square- (3/10) I've spoken a lot about Montgomery previous to this so I won't repeat myself too much. I do like him on the handicap here and expect him to win fairly comfortably. He hasn't won a match on this stage since 2009 where he beat Martin Phillips but I expect that to change this afternoon. He made the semi finals of the Zuiderduin Masters last month and won a few other tournaments last year including the Gold Cup and the Welsh Open. I expect him to carry that form he showed last year into the World Championship this time round and improve significantly on his average from the last two years where he has failed to reach anything above the low 80s. Roosenbrand hasn't played on this stage since 2008 where he actually beat Gary Anderson believe it or not. Saying that, it's not as impressive as you think as the Dutchman only averaged around the 84 mark and won 3-2. I think back them Roosenbrand would have had a fighting chance in this one but the confidence Montgomery would have gained from his performances last year should be a massive boost to him this week and I don't see him dropping anymore than one set tops. Again I'm backing the unders on the maximums. Montgomery is consistent with his scoring but he won't hit a 180 every leg. He's actually only hit 7 in total in his 4 matches at Lakeside, and I'm not expecting this match to go on for very long as I think the Brit will get the job done without having to throw his best darts tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised it there are only 3 sets in this match, 4 tops and in that time I don't envisage 5 maximums being scored by the two players.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Great write up's guys:ok I'll put my limited input here too. G.Robson to win BDO World Championship, 1pt EW @ 22/1 Bet365 (1/2 odds 1-2) I'm going for one of the more experienced players in Big Robbo. Opens up with a repeat of last years opening round where he beat Steve Douglas 3-0. I'd expect him to do the same again. Last year he only got beat in the quarters when edged out over the full 9 sets against Martin Philips, another player in his quarter. He scores pretty well and will certainly have plenty of opportunities but needs to hit his doubles. Very experienced player so the Lakeside stage holds no fears and he's been unlucky recent, going out to Adams, Hankey & Philips in the last 3 years. His quarter looks really open and I can see him going deep into this event this week and, at 22's, he looks a decent bet. C.Kist to win BDO World Championship, 0.5pts EW @ 70/1 Skybet (1/2 odds 1-2) C.Kist to win Quarter 4, 1pt @ 14/1 Skybet There's always one unknown Dutchman making it through a few rounds at the Lakeside and I'll take Kist to be the one this year. Other than Dean Winstanley, I don't think he's in the strongest quarter and I honestly think Over The Top will feel the pressure more this year and isn't certain to build on his final appearance from 12 months ago. Kist is a decent player who I'm certain has some big performances just around the corner. Lost out to Tony West in the last 16 of the World Masters but only narrowly and averaged 93 which, in this arena, is excellent darts. First time on the Lakeside stage but plays a fellow Dutchman in Jan Dekker, the revelation of 2011. Again, I feel Jan may struggle to repeat what he did and Kist has a played 2, won 2 record against his fellow countryman. If he comes through that, it's a rematch with Tony West, a match I'd expect him to go close in before the quarter finals. At a big 14/1 for the quarter, I'll pay to see how well he does with a smaller bet on the outright.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Today's bets. R.Meulenkamp v G.Stone, under 3.5 180's, 4pts @ 6/5 BlueSq 2 debutants playing in the 1st session at the Lakeside. The pressure will be immense and I don't see much great darts being played here. The Dutchman will feel even more pressure, being the seed & favourite, whilst Stoney has only been playing for 4 years so will surely find this too much. I can see lots of 60's & 100's being scored here and, even if this match goes 5 sets, I just don't see many maximums being scored. When you consider the line in Martin Adams match is only at 4.5 and he's a veteran of this stage & a consistently big scorer, this line (even at 3.5) looks too high. At odds against, I'll play & bank on this being a low scoring, tense affair. S.West to hit most 180's v T.O'Shea, 3pts @ 5/2 Victor Chandler Stupid price in my book. This could well be a tight affair with O'Shea needing to overcome last year's shock exit. Whilst I think West could take this match, I feel the value is in the 180's market. In the last 2 years here, West has gone out in the opening round in 5 sets but has scored 3 & 4 maximums respectively, outscoring his opponents including Dave Chisnall. Silverback, meanwhile, has hit 2 & 4 in 4 & 5 set matches but both times was outscored by his opponent. I appreciate that O'Shea is the more accomplished darter and generally scores well but on recent stats, I can't see how West is a 5/2 shot so will be hoping he can trouble the lipstick plenty this afternoon. R.Montgomery (-1.5 sets) to beat F.Roosenbrand, 3pts @ Evs BlueSq I like the Scot here. As Fishy says, Montgomery hasn't won a match here for 3 years but will be buoyed massively by recent performances with at least half a dozen semi final or final appearances. They include wins over the likes of Winstanley & Philips and, interestingly, a 5-2 win over Roosenbrand at the Zuiderduin. The Dutchman hasn't been in great form and hasn't taken out what I'd class as a decent scalp this year. In fact, when playing any top BDO player, he's been beaten comfortably, generally by 2 or more sets. I don't see it getting any better here with him feeling the pressure of the Lakeside stage and this should be an easy passage in Round 2 for Montgomery.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 2 outrights for me. Took slightly bigger prices on these last night but been ultra busy. Still perfectly good value in their current prices though. 1pt ew D.Fitton to win BDO World Championship 22/1 Bet365 (1/2 1-2) Darryl Fitton has the game to go very well this week. Whenever we punt on the outright market in the BDO we have to bear in mind not everyone will want to win this and be tied down to the BDO for another year and that's even more the case this year with the rumours of discontent among many players about the new BDO board rife. One man who I think will be eager to win this having tried to win it so many times is Darryl Fitton. It doesn't matter too much to him if he's tied to the BDO for longer because he does more exhibitions than tournaments as a whole. When he does play tournaments he can be very good. Last month in the Zuiderduin he showed just that when he made the final of an event which had the cream of the BDO in it. In that final he pushed Scott Waites all the way averaging in the high 90's and between them in 9 sets of arrers they hit 31 180's with Fitton contributing 15 of them. Doubles can often creep into being a problem but I sense from the Dazzler that he's just getting to grips with them. He's got a nasty draw in the first round but that's the risk he takes from not playing so many tournaments. Robbie Green won't be a pushover, in fact I don't think anyone could push him over :lol but it is a match Fitton can win if he plays well and once the matches get longer he generally gets better. Although he's lost in the opening round for the last two years it should be noted that he's played Dave Chisnall who made the final two years ago and Stuart Kellett who was the number two seed in the first round on those occasions. Fitton arrives here in good form and I'll take him to have a decent run this week. 1pt ew C.Kist to win BDO World Championship 70/1 Skybet (1/2 1-2) I had heard lots of good things coming out of Holland about Christian Kist prior to the World Masters so I was pleased to be able to see him in that tournament and I was impressed with what I saw. He was a bit raw but you'd expect that being a youngster but being raw never did Jelle Klaasen any harm a few years ago when he beat everyone en route to winning this tournament. If Christian Kist brings his best darts to the Lakeside and doesn't get thrown off course by the famous stage then I think he could go very well. He has a good record against his first round opponent Jan Dekker and if he can get himself into the tournament then who knows. He pulled the best out of Tony West in the World Masters where he averaged 93 and loose change which was the 3rd highest losing average in the tournament. That sets a decent standard and if that game is brought to Surrey with him then he could do some damage this week albeit in the tougher half of the draw.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 I'll have a dabble in the womens tournament as well. 1pt ew L.Farlam to win BDO Womens World Championship 14/1 VC (1/3 1,2) I'm taking one in the top half of the draw here because I don't want anything to do with picking a winner of the potential Anastasia vs Trina Gulliver match in the bottom half of the draw. The other players in that bottom half - Julie Gore and Lisa Ashton are no mugs either so I'll focus on the slightly weaker half of the draw with the aim of finding the finalist if not the winner. Dean Winstanley's partner, Lorraine Farlam has had an excellent year with 3 wins to her name including the prestigious BDO Gold Cup and she also made a few more finals too so she's very much mirrored the form of her partner over the year. The top half of this draw is led by Deta Hedman but for whatever reason she's never really done it on this stage and last year didn't even average 70 in her two matches. It must be said that she has had a fantastic year but this Lakeside stage can be funny once it's in your head. Just ask Gary Anderson. Farlam beat Hedman on her way to that success in the Gold Cup so it's not an impossible task. That's if Hedman avenges her semi final defeat of last year to Rhian Edwards in the opening round this year. Farlam has the weaker of the first round draws and with no Gulliver or Anastasia in the semi final I think there's plenty of value in the 14/1 about Farlam going all the way this week.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 3 match bets for me this afternoon. 3pts S.Mitchell Most 180's vs M.Adams 21/10 Blue Square Scott Mitchell may have a worrying liking for a pink shirt and the most ridiculous nickname in the whole of sport but he can tickle the tungsten in the right way when he's going well and looking at his recent tournament results he appears to be in fine nick coming into this tournament. Although he's never won a match on this stage, a couple of years ago he took Daryl Gurney all the way and hit 6 180's in the match and a repeat of that performance could be very lucrative for us today. Wolfie isn't a massive 180 hitter. He hits an incredible amount of 140s but the 180's don't always drop and he's only hit 1 180 in his last two first round wins in this tournament. Even when he was taken right to the wire by Chisnall 3 years ago in the opening round he only his 4 180's in what turned out to be effectively 6 sets of darts. Wolfie may well feel a bit tighter than normal in this match because it's a real big thing for him if he can equal Bristow's record of 3 in a row so that will carry a little more pressure and as a BDO board member he might feel even more pressure on his shoulders. How Mitchell will play remains to be seen but I think there's some 180's in him and I'll take Scotty Dog to bark in more 180's than the Wolf. 3pts S.West to beat T.O'Shea 9/4 Ladbrokes It's a pretty poorly kept secret that the next time Steve West loses a BDO match will be the last time he loses a BDO match so I think he'll play without pressure and fear in this match. He's more than capable of giving Tony O'Shea a game here. It must be said O'Shea hasn't been anywhere near his best in the last year or so with his power scoring deserting him at crucial times and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Silverback's first round exit last year is repeated here. Steve West has never won a match on this stage but he's a very competent player who may have lived in the shadow of his brother for too long. At some point West will come good on the big stage and with no real pressure on him there's no reason why that can't be here. Whoever wins this match I think it will be close but O'Shea is under more pressure to succeed here than West is so I'll take the speedy West to win this match. 4pts R.Montgomery (-1.5 sets) to beat F.Roosenbrand Evs Blue Square I'll join the Ross Montgomery bandwagon. I think we'll see a decent tournament from 'The Boss' even though he hasn't really ever done it on the Lakeside stage. He couldn't be coming into this event off the back of a much better year. He's won four tournaments in 2011 and the semi finals of the World Masters and in Zuiderduin so he's definitely one of the form horses coming into the Lakeside. It's fair to say the Dutch lad Roosenbrand isn't in great form. Whether his tribulations on the PDC tour have knocked his confidence beyond repair or his game just isn't there I'm not sure but he has delivered a pretty disappointing set of results recently and for too long. Montgomery can all too often get himself caught up in tough matches when there is no need to but if he's to win this tournament, in a quarter which has Wolfie and the winner of O'Shea and West in it, the Scot needs to slam a marker down and do it early. If he's to do that he'll need to win this and win it 3-0 or 3-1 and I'll take him to do just that.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Ive got my eye on Jan Dekker. The young dutchman has plenty of potential and I see him as a top player in years to come. When he makes this breakthrough though I dont know. He did well last year and I'd expect him to be in contention this year. Some of the other favourites have some tough early round fixtures and that is a plus. But before I take anything I like to watch a couple of rounds before diving in, though the odds could shorten.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 From what I know, Stone just beat Muelenkamp 3-0, but whether that is completely true I'm not sure. Bit of a farce really. Neither ESPN or the BBC showed it, there wasn't a live scoreboard anywhere and the BBC who claim on their tv guide to be showing the darts atm, are showing repeats of football focus. Doesn't do the BDO any good this.

From what I know' date=' Stone just beat Muelenkamp 3-0, but whether that is completely true I'm not sure. Bit of a farce really. Neither ESPN or the BBC showed it, there wasn't a live scoreboard anywhere and the BBC who claim on their tv guide to be showing the darts atm, are showing repeats of football focus. Doesn't do the BDO any good this.[/quote'] All I can add is 3-1,3-2,3-1 to Stone... No idea on 180's Russ?

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Scott Waite, I just think he lacks the bottle, he can play, but when it matters seems to lose his nerve. He went out very easily last year. This year he has to deal with the break up of his relationship this year, thats what I heard pre christmas, but if you see his mrs in the crowd they have obviously patched up. Dean Winstanley looks the man for the big occasion, can make the final whether he can go that bit further, there is a doubt.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championship 2012 Poor start with only Montgomery doing the business, so I'm at -4pts going into tonight. Taking 3 tonight. R.Green to hit most 180's v D.Fitton, 3pts @ 6/5 SportingBet D.Fitton to beat R.Green, 5pts @ Evs Ladbrokes Contrasting bets here. Backing Fitton to win with Kong hitting the most maximums. I do like the chances of Dazzler this week, he's been playing some good darts including a run to the final of the Zuiderduin where he was narrowly edged out by Scott Waites. For me, Robbie Green is such a talented darter but flatters to deceive all too often and despite scoring well, his tendency to miss his doubles will be punished by Fitton tonight. On the maximums front, Green is a 180 machine where as Fitton is more of a steady, consistent player. In the last 2 years at the Lakeside, Green has hit 13 maximums in 13 sets with Fitton just 3 from 7 sets. To me, that makes the odds against on Green a great bet. I expect a high scoring, quality match but expect the more experienced player to prevail. S.Douglas to hit most 180's v G.Robson, 3pts @ 9/4 Paddy Power I've backed Robbo outright and think he'll repeat last years exploits to take out Steve Douglas in the opening round. However, I'm going for the younger player to hit the most maximums. Last year, Robbo won comfortably 3-0 but was still outscored on the maximums, 2 to 1. In fact, in 2010, Robson still only hit one maximum and he's normally a player that need that 1st round match to get him in the mood. The main reason for this bet is purely value; just because Douglas is 2's+ to win the match does not mean he should be the same price to hit the lipstick and, on that basis, I'll have a few points on him at a big 9/4.