** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis: 31st December -8th January

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January

Well I am hoping for Monfils to win it and then defeat Youzhny ;). Would not put you off the handicap though, I can definitely see Monfils having problems today. But Troicki has a fair share of struggles himself and Monfils is the much classier guy on a good day. Not sure about Kanepi yet, however I am thinking about Kerber. Pennetta would prefer something slower and the result against Vesnina is misleading. Also thinking about Dimitrov on the handicap, as Fish was utter crap so far. Phew, so much to think about. Edit: Fader - Darcis retired mate, that bet will be void Bepster - What the hell, it is a definite "Must Watch" for me - tired of watching Fed and Nadal tbh
Damn you, now I will HAVE to watch it... it is just infuriating. Especially if I have money riding some one of those guys to perform. :ok So I guess, Troicki on the handicap is the punt to make... :unsure

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody has mentioned the obvious OVERS bet yet tho :lol
Yeah, that is also a possibility :D For tomorrow, I like Pironkova/Dimitrov in their mixed double match against Mattek-Sands/Fish in the Hopman Cup. If I see the previous matches in the Hopman Cup: Pironkova/Dimitrov defeated Kvitova/Berdych Pironkova/Dimitrov defeated Wozniacki/Nielsen Mattek-Sands/Fish lost to Wozniacki/Nielsen Mattek-Sands/Fish lost to Kvitova/Berdych So I expected the players from Bulgaria to be the favourite in this match. But the two only bookmakers with odds right now are Bwin and bet-at-home and they both priced Bulgaria at 2.20. I am not sure to take this bet or to wait for maybe more odds. What do you think?

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January I think Troicki - Monfils is very, very likely to go over 22.5 games. If Trocki is in the lead he will choke, and if Monfils is in the lead he'll go into passive mode and Troicki will hit winners again, hard to see anything other than a three setter with those behavioural tendencies. Then again it's early in the season, both players could divert from their usual traits. Doha is not exactly the U.S Open after all. A more ambitious bet which I could see happening is Troicki to win the first set and go onto lose at 11/2. Got a sneaky feeling for Youzhny against Nadal. Nadal often departs these tournaments after winning the previous match very comfortably, and Youzhny might just relax and hit him off court like he can do when he's on. Also Baghdatis to beat Murray catches my eye. Murray always has to work pretty hard to subdue the Greek and at this stage of the season I'm not sure he is willing to reach that deep. A Youzhny/Baghdatis double maybe? 23/1 looks tempting. :p

Monfils v Troicki will be a good match, just like Sexy v Girl Boy was this morning. Even Andy Beck v big Dave Coffin was a nice tie. Certainly better than Rog v the Sepster right now. Seppi has never won a set from Fed and I can't see that arrangement changing. I didn't expect my suggestion of Troicki +2 would spark such good banter. I'm going to take the big Serb though. Odds should be closer. @ bobNL - only get involved with the Bulgarians if you know about them and also Mardy and his face-painting-biker-boot-wearing-hippie partner. Can't help you on this one I'm afraid. Tsvetana is easy on the eye though, that's my cent's worth ...

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January If anyone needs some Hopman Cup info Pironkova - should have won against Wozniacki, but choked as players usually do against her. Had some kind of injury in the third set, seemed to affect her a little bit. Otherwise she was playing quite soundly, should have gone for more big shots though. If fit, she should beat Mattek-Sands comfortably. The American has been dreadful ever since she choked from the *5-1 lead against Wozniacki. Dimitrov - pretty impressive, had chances to beat Berdych, defeated Nielsen nicely. Great serve, lacking on return (as always). Fish will probably give him some chances, he is not the best when it comes to converting them though. The +3 handicap or the overs might be interesting with the right price. Kvitova - continuing her form, not totally on target though. Still, should beat Wozniacki comfortably if she gets into stride early. Starts a bit slowly though and that might be a chance for the Dane, who probably needs to win this if Denmark wants to advance. Berdych - solid so far, should beat Nielsen easily, but the handicap is a bit too much for my liking, as Nielsen can serve and play dangerously without pressure. Berdych might not be fully focused. The Czech was also drenched in sweat last time out, but no negative info about his fitness, so it was probably due to humidity (still, it was crazy when compared to others).

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Yeah, took Vik on the plus a little while ago, got 1.912 for +2 games so put a small bit on it. Checked the odds again just now and it appears people are reading this thread...:lol...dropping a bit now. Conservative stake for me anyway, I think he's a little bit overpriced and for the other reasons I mentioned in my earlier post I'll go with it. Watch the bastard retire as Troicki closes on an easy win eh....:eek ATP Doha - Troicki +2 games AH vs Monfils @ 1.912 (Pinnacle:2pts) Tbh I cannot see Youzhny taking Nadal out. He used to cause him all sorts of problems 3,4,5 years ago but not so much recently. Nadal is hardly in blistering form himself but I think he'll win with a bit to spare in that one. Murray perhaps looks a bit short vs Baghy though, I dont like opposing Murray, usually when I do the match appears to be going to plan(say a plus handicap for the other player) but eventually Murray grinds them down and wins an easy set 6-1 or 6-0 and busts the bet. Baghy seems to have his tail up at the minute, could be a good match and I'd favour +4 on Baghy at first glance, but without much conviction.

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January WOW, I spoke to soon... Seppi let Fed come up to 5-5, then held his serve and broke for a 7-5 set win. Impressive and good going for Seb! btw, loving the airplane music they are during change of ends. :rollin

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January And I don't know about you lads, but I'm trying to avoid overs/unders bets as much as possible these days, same in the football. Was looking through my bets in the last few months, and I think they were a weak-ish area for me. I still do play them occasionally in the footie, cant help myself at times, but I'll try and avoid them in tennis unless its too good to turn down. Today's match does look like an overs one, give me o21 games between Raonic/Dr Ivo and I'll play it.....:rollin, plus any match with Safarova lol. I had 3 on my list this week in the womens for overs and sidestepped them all, some ended as blow-outs(Kuz against McHale, Pennetta vs Vesnina was another and my initial thought on Kanepi/Petkovic was overs and that would have failed narrowly). I'd say I've had mixed success in the overs/unders markets, no doubt I'll still take them at times, just something I'm trying to be more selective about. Anyway, not the thread for this! Saying that the 18.5 game line looks a tad low between Fed and Seppi now!!

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January 3pts Nadal vs Youzhny - Over 19.5 games{1.72} Bet365 1pt Nadal vs Youzhny - Yozhny to win {6.50} Bet365 Taking Nadal on here. I don't think he is up for it, similar to Federer and even Murray and I just tihnk it's a matter of them coming up to a good player who is in the mood for an upset. I expect no worse than a 2-1 nadal here. so worth the gamble.

And I don't know about you lads, but I'm trying to avoid overs/unders bets as much as possible these days, same in the football. Was looking through my bets in the last few months, and I think they were a weak-ish area for me. I still do play them occasionally in the footie, cant help myself at times, but I'll try and avoid them in tennis unless its too good to turn down. Today's match does look like an overs one, give me o21 games between Raonic/Dr Ivo and I'll play it.....:rollin, plus any match with Safarova lol. I had 3 on my list this week in the womens for overs and sidestepped them all, some ended as blow-outs(Kuz against McHale, Pennetta vs Vesnina was another and my initial thought on Kanepi/Petkovic was overs and that would have failed narrowly). I'd say I've had mixed success in the overs/unders markets, no doubt I'll still take them at times, just something I'm trying to be more selective about. Anyway, not the thread for this! Saying that the 18.5 game line looks a tad low between Fed and Seppi now!!
Being selective is the key mate. Like you I look to avoid them, just too unpredictable, in tennis and in football. But there are some who see it as a profitable market. For me, picking a winner or a handicap is far more straightforward.

And I don't know about you lads, but I'm trying to avoid overs/unders bets as much as possible these days, same in the football. Was looking through my bets in the last few months, and I think they were a weak-ish area for me. I still do play them occasionally in the footie, cant help myself at times, but I'll try and avoid them in tennis unless its too good to turn down. Today's match does look like an overs one, give me o21 games between Raonic/Dr Ivo and I'll play it.....:rollin, plus any match with Safarova lol. I had 3 on my list this week in the womens for overs and sidestepped them all, some ended as blow-outs(Kuz against McHale, Pennetta vs Vesnina was another and my initial thought on Kanepi/Petkovic was overs and that would have failed narrowly). I'd say I've had mixed success in the overs/unders markets, no doubt I'll still take them at times, just something I'm trying to be more selective about. Anyway, not the thread for this! Saying that the 18.5 game line looks a tad low between Fed and Seppi now!!
It's the opposite with me now. I feel more comfortable with overs (I very rarely go under), than picking winners. Yesterday I was kicking myself for not going with the Monfils - Becker Over 20.5 games (luckily Kanepi made up for it), and all this week there have countless occasions when I should've pulled the trigger on them. I'm getting quite good at it now. Agree with football though, definately best to stay away. So many games end 1-1, 2-0, and your left hoping for a last minute goal to win the Overs. I got very lucky with Blackburn-West Brom the other week going for the Overs. On Youzhny, yep he's definately lost heart against Rafa in recent years, however I think Rafa has declined and is maybe more similar to the version that Youzhny beat 6-0 6-1 in this very same tournament four years ago. Very unlikely though, no doubt.

3pts Nadal vs Youzhny - Over 19.5 games{1.72} Bet365 1pt Nadal vs Youzhny - Yozhny to win {6.50} Bet365 Taking Nadal on here. I don't think he is up for it, similar to Federer and even Murray and I just tihnk it's a matter of them coming up to a good player who is in the mood for an upset. I expect no worse than a 2-1 nadal here. so worth the gamble.
Good shout here on the Over, I went for it as well. But I waited to see who was serving first. Those 19.5 lines are very tricky. When I saw it was Youzhny, it was pull the trigger time. Looked lost for a while but through a rally re-break by a more than formidable Youzhny, the bet had new life and he managed to stay on. :clap There actually more in it for him with quite a few breakpoints in the last game. Very impressed with Mika here, he can leave Doha head helt high.

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Alright, here we go. Will probably need some luck with so many selections though :D. (3/10) Baghdatis (+1.5 sets) to beat Murray @ 2.04 with Pinnacle 5 matches between them, Baghdatis always won a set. That does not guarantee anything, but suggests that anything above evens for this bet is a lot of value. On top of that, Murray lost sets against much worse players in the opening rounds. Do I need to say more? (2/10) Kerber (+3) to beat Pennetta @ 1.99 with Pinnacle Pennetta showed that she struggles against big hitting when the other other player can hit the right shots and the surface might be a bit fast for her. Kerber pretty good so far, hitting through everyone and serving well enough. Plus three games seems like a good option for me. (2/10) Kvitova (-3.5) to beat Wozniacki @ 1.80 with Paddy Power Should be the end of Wozzy's Hopman Cup to be honest. She could have easily lost against Pironkova and perhaps even Mattek-Sands, but the both choked in crucial moments. Kvitova will not and she is the worst match-up for the Dane, as she can be aggressive without being too inconsistent. If she finds her range early, this can be over very quickly. (3/10) Pironkova to beat Mattek @ 1.70 with Gamebookers Pironkova had chances in both of her matches, Mattek did not. Pironkova was useful in doubles, Mattek did not do much. What else do you need to know. There is only one worry, she was looking a bit tired at the end of the last match. But, with a day off, that should be gone and I cannot see her losing this one if she is fit.

Yes' date=' Youzhny played quite well there. Nadal was not that impressive and he might have problems tomorrow. [b']But with which player? The fun begins now...:lol
haha, what a mess this is... it is nothing if not entertaining :rollin EDIT: Troicki was awful. Let me tell you, the discussion regarding this match in this thread was a lot more enjoyable than the match itself...

lol Far too good from Monfils' date=' Troicki barely able to hit a winner, always under pressure.[/quote'] I don`t really know what match you saw, but it was much more balanced then the score sez`..... Troicki played well, even broke Monfils serve... anyway wohooo good that he won because I thought he would :nana

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Hello guys, back from holiday, missed the opening matches of the year but managed to see some of the player play. Here's my take on 3 matches on which i see a reasonable price. Dudi Sela - Milos Raonic. Raonic to win. Dudi Sela is the type of player who can always give you a run for your money, very unpredictable player but i think Milos can beat him here. In the previous round he easily beat Victor Hanescu in a match in which Hanescu didn't play bad at all, his serving seems to be working at full potential he looks in quite a good form. Moreover Milos i think has grown alot since he first came into the spotlight at the begining of 2011, he has vastly improuved his movement on the field and is much more precise with his devastating forehand. He isn't the player who used to win matches in tie breaks or manage breaks only when his opponents gave away all the points anymore. Very pleasant player to watch in my book, he plays a mans game with powerfull serve, powerfull groundstroke and has a good net play as well, reminds me of young Ivo somewhat. Denis Istomin - Bernard Tomic. Tomic to win, Tomic to win 2-0. Let me say just this: Tomic is one of the players with the shitties attitude on the tour. He is one of the most talented players i've seen in years but only plays with commitement about 3-4 tournaments per year. In the rest of the time he still plays at low level tournaments with mediocre results or when playing at a bigger tournament usually exists in the first round. But this is one of the few periods of the year when it is worth to bet on him because usually he plays with a serios attitude here in his adoptive country Australia, usually great showings at the AO and after that you don't hear anything about him untill Wimbledon. Here he is the fan favourit and i think he will easily beat Istomin, i saw him play with Ito and he was terrific, while it's also true that Ito was not really a worthy opponent playing horribly Tomic showed the class he has and was also great on serve, i think he served at least one ace in every service game he had. I didn't see Istomin play for quite some time but he was never more than a mediocre player at best, now he seems in a very uninspired part of his career and i don't see him having the weapons to respond to Bernard's great game. Hope i don't underestimate him but i doubt he could have turned thing around so much this winter, his last year was abysmal. Stan Wawrinka - Go Soeda. Wawa to win 2-0 (1,5 at 365 seems a really good odd). Wawrinka is the reigning champion here at Chenai and i think he will reach the final again if he doesn't get Raonic or Tipsarevic in the semis. In the previous round he was lucky to defeat lucky loser Eduard Vasselin coming back from a 5-3 deficit in the decisive set. Wawa didn't have the best of games commiting way to many unforced errors but for him this was the first match of the year so it's somewhat understandable. Also the frenchman Vasseline played really really well, he showed great tennis, way above anything Go Soeda can pull off. I like Go, he's a serios player but with limited weaponry, at 1,78m his serve is mediocre at best, his shot-making is not really something to fear and although he has good on-court agility it doesn't compare to Nishikori's, a player similar to him. He defeated Dodig in the previous round but it was a horrible match of tennis, one of the weakest i have seen in quite some time, Dodig played absoluteley dreadful tennis so the fact that Go defeated him doesn't impress me too much. Go Wawa! Good luck

Sport Tennis
Event Francesca Schiavone - Kaia Kanepi
Selection 2
Strength 10/10
Date 06/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Nordicbet @ 1.75
Reasoning In the semifinal of the WTA Brisbane, Francesca Schiavone from Italy will take on Kaia Kanepi from Estonia. Schiavone is ranked 11th in the world at the moment, a player well known in the circuit who plays on all the surfaces. In the first round here she beat Pervak (retired at 4-4), followed by Voskoboeva, 6-4, 6-4 and then came the match that has surely boosted her confidence the win over Jankovic in the quarters, 5-7, 7-6, 6-3. On the other side, Kanepi, ranked 34th in the world is looking stabler then in the past, beating strong players like Pavlyuchenkova and Petkovic in straight sets after dealing with a 2-1 (set score) in the first. If and only if she plays just like she did with Petkovic she has a good chance. I think she can, even more on this surface where she could impose her strenght in hitting and serving over Schiavone. Score is 4-2 in head-to-head in favor of the italian (both wins of Kanepi were on hard), but I still believe that Kanepi has an edge with the form that she showed here in Brisbane (with or without more confidence of Schiavone). Win Kaia Kanepi.
Close Window

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Kanepi is one of the best player from the womens circuit but i hate betting on her, it's annoying how many unforced errors she makes per match and loses games in which she has twice the number of winners hit compared to her opponent but has three times more unforced errors. The only thing more annoying than her are Sharapova's consecutive double faults. Anyway, good luck!

Event Fish M. / Mattek-Sands B. - Pironkova T. / Dimitrov G.
Selection Pironkova T. / Dimitrov G.
Strength 10/10
Date 06/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 2.20
Reasoning This match may be not playing, but if they play I will try another Bulgarian win. Pironkova & Dimitrov won both two mixed doubles matches for this cup here in Perth, Australia takings Berdych & Kvitova in tiebreaker, they also defeat Nielsen & Woznicaki in another tiebreaker. Pironkova & Dimitrov were one set behind in both matches but they succeed to won including 10-1 against Wozniacki & Nielsen in third set who was tiebreaker. Another good come back was in third set against Berdych & Kvitova they were trailing 9-6 but managed to win 11-9. On the other hand USA lost all matches so far at mixed doubles Fish & Mattek -Sands failed in straight sets 7-5 6-3 against Woznaicki & Nielsen and the same score with Berdych & Kvitova. The Bulgarians are less experienced but they have great motivation.