** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis: 31st December -8th January

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January

SportTennis
EventBlaz Kavcic - Steve Darcis
Selection2
Strength10/10
Date03/01/2012
Bookmaker/PriceBetclic @ 1.80
ReasoningIn the first round of the ATP Chennai (India, hard) lefty Blaz Kavcic from Slovenia will take on righty Steve Darcis from Belgium. Kavcic is currently ranked 92nd and after taking a quick look at his career he looks like a claycourt player but that didn`t stop him to finishe the 2011 season with a 15-7 record on hardcourt. He won a challenger last season, but it was on clay. Darcis, one promicing player with a very decent serve and few weapons at his disposal, ranking 88th right now (career high 44th in 2008) and ending the 2011 season with a some important wins against players like Davydenko, Llodra and Petzschner. Counting the fact that this will be the first meeting between the two, I will pick Darcis in this one who looks as the better competitor on hardcourt, mainly because he played more then Kavcic so far in his career and of course his playing style.
Some comeback from the Belgian today, 1 set down and 1-5 down in the 2nd he won 9 games in a row to win 4-6, 7-5, 6-3! :nana Darcis was the last in a tasty £20 quad with Nieminen, Gasquet & Bachinger to give me a nice wee lift at the start of the tennis year! Hope it continues!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Really strange performance from Gulbis but that's to be expected when you back him. Saved a couple of match points in the second set and eventually won the tie break. Then broke to go 2-0 up in the final set but hasn't won a game since then. :\ Think I'll stick to breaking even on the tennis so far and just watch how the results go for a few days before getting involved again.

Some comeback from the Belgian today, 1 set down and 1-5 down in the 2nd he won 9 games in a row to win 4-6, 7-5, 6-3! :nana Darcis was the last in a tasty £20 quad with Nieminen, Gasquet & Bachinger to give me a nice wee lift at the start of the tennis year! Hope it continues!!!
good for you m8 :) here`s another :P
Sport Tennis
Event Yanina Wichmayer - Sara Errani
Selection 1
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Nordicbet @ 1.72
Reasoning Round of 16 of the WTA Auckland (Australia, hard) finds the belgian Yanina Wickmayer for the 4th time in her career in front of the italian Sara Errani against which she is 3-0 (all on hardcourt). No doubt that Wickmayer is one promicing young player who allready confirmed but not for her full potential. She is currently ranked 26th in the world (as high as 12th in 2010) following a very decent 2010 season when she got up to the late stages of important and even grand slam tournaments, helping her country with two straight set wins over the USA. Her main surface is clearly hard where she can take advantage of her above the average serve and playing style. In the first round here at Auckland she disposed of Pliskova in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. On the other side, Errani, 45th in the world (as high as 31st in 2009) is a player who has much more chances on clay, her main surface, but still she uses the same style, compensating the inexistent service with an agressive hitting and changes in ball spin. From all her results from last season, the one that sticks out is the final at Pattaya (hard) when she beat strong players like Voskoboeva and Vinci. In the first round she got her 2 out of 2 win over the young shedish player J. Larsson in a very clear fashio, 6-1, 6-1. Counting the fact their previous meetings and that Wickmayer (unlike Larsson for example) has a service wich could get her games on the board and very agressive on the return, I think she is the favorite in this one.

Philipp Petzschner > Jurgen Melzer. 2.50 @ Pinnacle (5/10) :ok Francesca Schiavone > Galina Voskoboeva. 1.75 @ Pinnacle (7/10) :ok Rafael Nadal vs Philipp Kohlschreiber. Over 20 games. 1.85 @ Pinnacle (5/10) :ok Rebecca Marino vs Roberta Vinci. Under 21.5 games. 1.80 @ Bet365 :@ Shuai Peng -4 vs Aravane Rezai. 1.80 @ Nordicbet (6/10) :wall Adrian Mannarino > Igor Andreev. 1.96 @ Pinnacle (6/10) :$
Managed to get a tiny profit thanks to Schiavone and Petzschner. Totally misread Mannarino match whilst other two lost ones had a chance. Vinci was serving at 5-2 in the 2nd set to cover the line only to mess it up whilst Peng was too wasteful.

I'll take one quickly, and maybe a couple more later. This match starts in a minute though so I'll have to be quick. Ernests Gulbis to beat Mikhail Youzhny- Evens Sportingbet- (3/10) I'm inclined to back the Latvian as the underdog here given the head to head record of these two guys. Gulbis has won the last 3, including a straight sets win in the US open last year. He undoubtedly has talent, but his mental strength isn't the greatest in the world and sometimes you feel he hasn't really come to win. I think he will try in this tournament though. He had a poor end to last season and comes into this week defending some points, as he made the quarter finals here last year. Youzhny didn't have a particularly good 2011 either and failed to make a final of any event which is a poor stat for the Russian, who on his day can give any guy in the world a match. He was incredibly poor at the end of last season, losing to Lammer, who is outside the top 250 in the world so the Russian will have needed to have a good off season to get his head back into shape. I just wouldn't have had Gulbis as the underdog here given the history if these two, and he will have a mental edge over the Russian before they start. If he can get off to a good start and get his forehand going, I'll back him to come get past Youzhny here.
Fishy mate, Gulbis is one of the biggest headcases on the Tour. He's a man left well alone until he sorts himself out.

Does anyone think that Jovanovski has a chance against Williams? Williams was utter crap in the first match' date=' not even interested, just standing in one place and forcing issues. We all know how disinterested she is when it comes to these tournaments. Scheepers not good enough, but Jovanovski is. I am definitely going to play the +7 handicap, that is way too high.[/quote'] I tend to think Jovanovski gets overrated a bit. She hasn't really done a whole lot to justify the hype. However she did have some good results this time last year and Brisbane is known for upsets, so you never know, she could catch the big heffa on the hop.

I tend to think Jovanovski gets overrated a bit. She hasn't really done a whole lot to justify the hype. However she did have some good results this time last year and Brisbane is known for upsets' date=' so you never know, she could catch the big heffa on the hop.[/quote'] I saw Bojana for the first time in the flesh last year at Wimbledon. She was playing Simona Halep (tremendous Djemba-Djembas, even with the reduction) and lost badly. She looked a bit moody, but then again, she's a young lassie. On that showing, I wouldn't go near her, but this time last year she was the next up-and-coming darling in the game and got some good wins Down Under. +7 games does seem pretty high. This probably doesn't help much in the context of the match, to be honest. I suppose I just wanted to mention Halep's knockers :p

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Here's a question for the WTA doyens, a serious statement ... any reason why Julia Goerges is the underdog against Angelique Kerber? Goerges beat her in their previous meeting and I thought she had a decent season last year. Know hee-haw about Kerber but reckoned the prices would be reversed ...

Here's a question for the WTA doyens' date=' a serious statement ... any reason why Julia Goerges is the underdog against Angelique Kerber? Goerges beat her in their previous meeting and I thought she had a decent season last year. Know hee-haw about Kerber but reckoned the prices would be reversed ...[/quote'] I think it has been priced correctly. Goerges is hit or miss type of player and can really go missing in matches. Their only match was indoors which is better suited for Goerges. Kerber is a lefty which makes things interesting and she can play from the baseline as well. Reaching US Open semifinals can't happen by an accident. Goerges had 18 break points against her in the first match against Arn who is average player. A year ago I would have considered playing Julia in a match like this but not today.

I think it has been priced correctly. Goerges is hit or miss type of player and can really go missing in matches. Their only match was indoors which is better suited for Goerges. Kerber is a lefty which makes things interesting and she can play from the baseline as well. Reaching US Open semifinals can't happen by an accident. Goerges had 18 break points against her in the first match against Arn who is average player. A year ago I would have considered playing Julia in a match like this but not today.
Thank you. Good, useful info. I'll keep my powder dry for that one.

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Big dose of WTA action for me as usual. So :hope WTA Brisbane Serena Williams vs Bojana Jovanovski. Under 17.5 games. 1.98 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Jovanovski has got huge potential and very big game but I fear for her in this match because of the fact that she will be playing none other than Serena Williams. It is scary most of the time. Now that Williams has got her first match done, she has to be playing even better. Jovanovski managed to get couple games agaist her in US Open last year and I can not see her getting much better result this time either. She had a low % on her 2nd serve pts won against Dellaqua and she will be destroyed by Serena for sure if the first serve doesn't work. The line for unders is 17.5 games which basically allows to get away with 6-3, 6-2 which on paper looks game or two over what I expect. Kaia Kanepi > Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova. 2.40 @ Pinnacle (5/10) Totally disagree with the valuation of this match by bookies. Pavlyuchenkova has got very shaky serve, too many double faults etc to feel comfortable against opponent like Kanepi. The Estonian has got one of the best serves in women's tennis (it was not the case in her first match but she's good). If Pavly gets behind in this match it will be hard for he to get back in it. Kanepi is 2-0 and 4-0 in sets against the Russian, both matches on hard courts. And she managed to get the results despite losing her serve lots of times during those matches. 9 breaks against her in total. WTA Auckland Yanina Wickmayer -2.5 vs Sara Errani. 1.83 @ Pinnacle (7/10) Huge match-up problems for Errani today against Wicky. The little Italian has always struggled against big hitters and has lost all three previous matches against Wickmayer. Prefer handicap over unders as Yanina might slip up in one of the sets or there can be a tie-break. It should not prevent her from winning with something to spare, though. I believe, last year the line in their match was -4.5 games for Wickmayer. Lucie Hradecka vs Shuai Peng. Over 21 games. 1.95 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Both love playing overs and did so in their opening matches. Saw only Peng and she was struggling a bit against Rezai but got it done in the end. Hradecka certainly has got better serve than Rezai and will hold easier despite making lots of silly errors which is huge part of her game. Hradecka and Peng have met once, playing out a 3-setter last year in Inadian Wells. Peng took it 7-5 in the decider. ATP Brisbane Marcos Baghdatis -2 vs Kei Nishikori. 1.81 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Baghdatis feel like at home in Australia, always gets huge support etc. That drives you to play even better. He had a nice win against decent player Harrison in R1. Nishikori on the other hand did not look that good against upcoming Stebe and even dropped a set against the German. In this match-up I can see couple advantages for the Cypriot. The serve is slightly better, especially on big points and he is better in baseline rallies as well. All in all he should prevail in this match as he has done in both previous meetings agaisnt Nishikori. Tatsuma Ito vs Bernard Tomic. Over 20.5 games. 1.80 @ Bet365 (5/10) Was wondering about totals in this match and was not disappointed. 20.5 games in ATP match is not huge line to cover. Ito has been serving really good this week which can not be said about Tomic. He was sloppy against Benneteau and one must wonder how poor he'll be this time around. They have played three times before with all matches going overs which is kind of not a big surprise knowing Tomic's game.

Here's a question for the WTA doyens' date=' a serious statement ... any reason why Julia Goerges is the underdog against Angelique Kerber? Goerges beat her in their previous meeting and I thought she had a decent season last year. Know hee-haw about Kerber but reckoned the prices would be reversed ...[/quote'] Ah Julia Goerges, she's got her knockers as well..... Onto the match; Kerber made serious strides at the back end of last season, bouncing back from losing to Laura Robson at Wimbledon to go onto reach the US Open semi final. That's why she's favourite I would guess. Goerges is a bit up and down. When everything clicks she can play the likes of Kerber off court, but the problem is keeping her level up. The fact that she had a topsy-turvy clash with Greta Arn yesteday suggests she still has ways to go on that score. She is worth a punt though, definately. I also think she would be more likely to start a season better than someone like Kerber, who might be due a bit of a dip and who hasn't historically had the greatest of results in January.

Ah Julia Goerges, she's got her knockers as well..... Onto the match; Kerber made serious strides at the back end of last season, bouncing back from losing to Laura Robson at Wimbledon to go onto reach the US Open semi final. That's why she's favourite I would guess. Goerges is a bit up and down. When everything clicks she can play the likes of Kerber off court, but the problem is keeping her level up. The fact that she had a topsy-turvy clash with Greta Arn yesteday suggests she still has ways to go on that score. She is worth a punt though, definately. I also think she would be more likely to start a season better than someone like Kerber, who might be due a bit of a dip and who hasn't historically had the greatest of results in January.
Hmmm, hmmmm ... now I've got my knickers in a twist. The fact that two different posters have differing views suggests though that it's probably left best alone. Evens isn't a price to take a risky punt on, and I'm not going to unleash a bigger cannonball on something I know little about and divides opinion, so I will wake up tomorrow and see who wins the battle of the Germans. This Greta Arn woman by the way ... she sounds horific. Sounds like greater arm. I've got images of a small, fat, dumpy, ageing Hungarian waddling round the court. I'm sure she's probably actually quite graceful but her name invokes some hideous images. Right, I need a lie down, too much WTA chat for me :spank

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Mardy Fish to beat Tomas Berdych @ 5/4 Bet 365 Strength (5/10) Feel this is a good price on Fish. He made a bit of meal of it against Nielsen in his first match, but he said himself that his mind was elsewhere, focusing too much on mental training techniques he had picked up in the off season. I suspect he will be back on the ball against Berdych, who will provide formidable opposition. Fish has beaten Berydch in the previous two meetings, and I don't think Tomas enjoys the challenge the American presents. He doesn't give him time; hurrying and hassling him, and Berdych's footwork is still a weakness, especially when setting up his backhand. I think Tomas might not fancy the task tomorrow, especially so early in the season and in a relatively minor tournament, and Fish, ever the Patriot, will have more juice and want it more. :hope P.S - It's the Hopman Cup by the way, hence why Fish being a yanky doodle might give him inspiration.

Hmmm, hmmmm ... now I've got my knickers in a twist. The fact that two different posters have differing views suggests though that it's probably left best alone. Evens isn't a price to take a risky punt on, and I'm not going to unleash a bigger cannonball on something I know little about and divides opinion, so I will wake up tomorrow and see who wins the battle of the Germans. This Greta Arn woman by the way ... she sounds horific. Sounds like greater arm. I've got images of a small, fat, dumpy, ageing Hungarian waddling round the court. I'm sure she's probably actually quite graceful but her name invokes some hideous images. Right, I need a lie down, too much WTA chat for me :spank
She's quite the veteran, 35 I think, but she's not bad looking. The name Greta though does evoke images of Susan Boyle level attractiveness.

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January 2pts Kvitova Vs Mattek-Sands - Under 18.5 games Bet365 1.90 These two played only a month ago and Kvitova beat Sands easily with Sands only getting a handful of games. I expect a 6-3/6-2 but one thing I can't imagine is Sands getting a set so for me this is a tad bit of value. I expect 2-0. Hopefully get the morning started with a win.

Sport Tennis
Event Hanescu - Raonic
Selection Over 22.5
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Titanbet @ 1.85
Reasoning Over look like good bet for this match. Chennai surface is really fast and this is advantage for big servers. Hanescu in past beat Raonic, but Raonic today is other player. In first round Hanescu beat Querrey in straight sets and must feel confident. Raonic have on of the biggest serve in tour and is not easy to broken. Over 22.5 is my prediction.
Sport Tennis
Event Sela - Paire
Selection Over 22.5
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.96
Reasoning I see three sets here. Dudi Sela is good hard couter, in first round have lucky draw because played against injured Fognini and lost only one game in this match. Benoit Paire is gifted player and can be very strong in future, in first round here not give any chances for other young player - Pere Riba from Spain. I feel easy over

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January that's a winning start. On to bet 2. 2pts Berdych to beat Fish 4/7 SkyBet 1pt Berdych to win -2.5 Eves Bet365 I do think Fish has it in him to win a set, but I think ultimately Berdych will be the stronger. He holds the better record of the two and has some decent form coming into this one.

Sport Tennis
Event Dodig - Soeda
Selection Over 21.5
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.88
Reasoning Over is the best choice in this game, I belive it. Line is not too high. Dodig in first round match have big troubles against local player Vardhan, saved 6 match points in this match and won in three sets. Serve helped Dodig many times. Go Soeda is after Q here and in first round beat Gil in three sets. In last three matches here Soeda played 4 tie-breaks - good server, bad returner. Over 21.5
Sport Tennis
Event Cipolla - Tsonga
Selection Cipolla +5.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.85
Reasoning Flavio Cipolla can make troubles for Tsonga in this match, I believe it. Cipolla is not bad hard couter, good from the baseline, nice on the serve. In first round beat wild card Mutawa 6-0, 6-0! Tsona yesterday have huge troubles against Malek Jaziri, two tie breaks and won in third set. Cipolla is minimum on the Jaziri level and can make troubles for him.
Sport Tennis
Event Bachinger - Trociki
Selection Over 21.5
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.94
Reasoning Line is good to play, I see chances for the over here. Matthias Bachinger is big sevrer from Germany, have very good court practise because won Q here and in first round beat gifted Bautista. Troicki in first round played against awful on hard courts Lukas Rosol and won 7-6, 6-4. If Rosol can play close match, Bachinger for sure too.

Sport Tennis
Event Ivo Karlovic - Mikhail Youzhny
Selection 2
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 1.72
Reasoning In the round of 16 of the ATP Doha (Qatar, hard) the big croatian Ivo Karlovic will take on russian Mikhail Youzhny for the 2nd time in his career after losing the first one back in 2008 (on hard) in straight sets, 2-6, 4-6, 2-6. Karlovic currelty ranked 56th in the world is a player maby most dependent in the ATP circuit of his service game in a match. Even though with 10 years of experience, he plays the same way, and ussualy when the opponent reaches in returning his serve, his chances drop down the merely 10 % of winning it. In the first one the croatian beat Stakhovsky, 6-7, 6-2, 7-6. On the other side we have Youzhny, ranked 35th in the world, one of the few players who broke his head on the court with his rackets, but still he his a talented player, very good returner, even when unbalanced. He beat Gulbis in the first round with the latvian sweeping a tiebreak in the end. Even though Youzhny finished the 2010 season in a poor way, losing his last 3 in a row in straight sets to Cilic, Lammer and Kohlschreiber, I think the russian is always the favorite in a match against a player who is dependent on his serve and ussualy an rally means returning the ball 99% of the time sliced. I am confident that Youzhny will find a way to beat the big man of Croatia in this one as well.

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Going to give it one more shot today, otherwise I will be gone until AO. (3/10) Youzhny (-1.5) to beat Karlovic @ 1.90 with Pinnacle Definitely liked Youzhny more yesterday and I feel that Stakhovsky should have won, but he was not focused in the second set and that cost him the match. Youzhny defeated Gulbis with something to spare and he is definitely the better player of the two. He also leads the H2H. (3/10) Cipolla (+5.5) to beat Tsonga @ 1.83 with Pinnacle Tsonga looked awful yesterday against Jaziri and I feel that the line is a bit inflated. He had some injury problems from what I have seen and Cipolla can make him run with his tricky style of tennis. Not guaranteed by any means and Tsonga should prevail in the end, but I think the Italian will produce a fighting performance. (3/10) Soeda (+1.5 sets) to beat Dodig @ 1.92 with Pinnacle Not a great fan of matches like this, but there is value here imo. Saw Dodig in the first round and he was absolutely dreadful, saved a couple of match points, but should not really be here anymore. Asians are doing well in this tournament usually and motivated Soeda can definitely take a set off Dodig today, as he is serving reasonably well.

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Fairly sure I read that Goerges had been sick over recent days, but anyway she is flaky as hell and is quite overrated really. I like her though. Kerber is a steadier player from the baseline vs ball-basher who is not playing that well/not 100%. Thought we might see a decent price for Kerber in the next round vs Lisicki, but Lisicki is @ 1.826, was thinking there might be a good handicap on offer for the underdog in that one but the bookies are on it.

Sport Tennis
Event Hanescu - Raonic
Selection Over 22.5
Strength 10/10
Date 04/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Titanbet @ 1.85
Reasoning Over look like good bet for this match. Chennai surface is really fast and this is advantage for big servers. Hanescu in past beat Raonic, but Raonic today is other player. In first round Hanescu beat Querrey in straight sets and must feel confident. Raonic have on of the biggest serve in tour and is not easy to broken. Over 22.5 is my prediction.
I suspect you might have the favorites mixed up here. All the reasons you mention would sugest that Milos cannot be broken on this surface. In other words, I see two easy sets for Raonic and a clear under.

Re: Tennis: 31st December -8th January Have just taken Kanepi to bt Petkovic tomorrow. It's priced at 2.00 in most places which seemed to be set right to me, but got her @ 2.20 at Stan James so I think there's a bit of value in that. Kanepi had a bit of a struggle with Panova in rd 1, not good but can happen in the first match and tbf she is a player that can make life harder for herself as her game can desert her. But she destroyed Pavlyuchenkova today, serving brilliantly. Petkovic is a good player, very athletic but she doesn't seem in the best shape in Brisbane so far, struggled at times against Peer and the average Strycova who ended up collapsing after losing the tie-break. She complained of some problems when serving so we'll see how she is for this one. I'd expect a tight match either way, Petkovic trying to move her around and expose Kanepi's movement, Kanepi with a better serve when it's on and she'll be leathering the ball going for winners. Would be surprised if it was anything but a tight 2 or 3 setter, but I'm gonna take the underdog for a small stake. 1-0 H2H for Kanepi, winning a 3-setter in Dubai on hard last year. WTA Brisbane - Kanepi to beat Petkovic @ 2.20 (Stan James:3pts)

Mardy Fish to beat Tomas Berdych @ 5/4 Bet 365 Strength (5/10)
LOSS. Note to self: back Fish in America, otherwise he is a clown. Broke in the second set and threw it away straight after. Got a good feeling about Berdych this year. Might be worth an each-wayer at the Aussie Open.

I suspect you might have the favorites mixed up here. All the reasons you mention would sugest that Milos cannot be broken on this surface. In other words, I see two easy sets for Raonic and a clear under.
As expected, Milos cruising on his moster serve to a 6-1 6-4 W. :clap

LOSS. Note to self: back Fish in America, otherwise he is a clown. Broke in the second set and threw it away straight after. Got a good feeling about Berdych this year. Might be worth an each-wayer at the Aussie Open.
Don't beat yourself up, man. Hopman is a farce. Regardless, I decided to roll the dice on Berdych/Kvitova to make it a perfect day and dismiss Mattek-Sands/Fish easily in the mixed. But after just a couple of minutes it becomes obvious that one should not bet on exibition style turnips. :rollin Took em at 1.72 with Bet365

Sport Tennis
Event Flavia Pennetta - Elena Vesnina
Selection 2
Strength 10/10
Date 05/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.33
Reasoning In the quarterfinals of the WTA Auckland (Australia, hard) Flavia Pennetta from Italy will take on Elena Vesnina from Russia. This will be their 6th official meeting with the italian leading in head-to-head by 3-2, the closest ones beeing in 2010 and 2011 with both winning once. Everyone know Pennetta, world class player which somewhat good on hard as on clay, ranked 20th right now, going as high as 10 (2009). Last season she had more success on hard where she won big points and big money by reaching late stages of a few important tournaments. In the first round here at Auckland she beat Carstea, followed by Baltacha, both in straight sets. Vesnina talented young russian (as most of them are) who allready has great experience at the big level, activating for 8 years allready at PRO, with the rank at 57 right now (career high in 2009, 22th). Looking at her career it looks like she is more efficient oh hard, even though last season was modest in that category, season which she finishe with an overall record of 21-23, with most notable result in Charleston (clay) where she lost the final to Wozniacki. In the previous two rounds she beat two very decent players, Rybarikova (#71 WTA), 6-3, 6-2 and Vinci (#23 WTA), 6-3, 6-4. Even though Pennetta comes one as the favorite in this one with a very good career in the back against Vesnina who is yet to win a title, I will base this one the fact that the russian has gained more experience and will be more of a "pain" in this one (as their last 2 meetings show when Vesnina won once). Both were close of winning this tournament in the past, Vesnina in 2009 (lost to Dementieva) and Pennetta in 2010 (lost to Wickmayer). So in my oppinion is a good risk to take Vesnina in this meeting as Pennetta showed sings of hesitation with Carstea in the first round and other facts that I mentioned.