** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2

Northern Prem Monday 2 January 2012 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Ashton United v Northwich Victoria (15:00 GMT) 10/3 13/5 8/11 109.39 %
maximize.gif Bradford Park Avenue v FC United of Manchester (15:00 GMT) 1/1 13/5 11/5 109.03 %
maximize.gif Buxton v Stocksbridge Park Steels (15:00 GMT) 1/1 13/5 21/10 110.04 %
maximize.gif Chasetown v Rushall Olympic (15:00 GMT) 1/1 13/5 11/5 109.03 %
maximize.gif Chester FC v Nantwich Town (15:00 GMT) 4/9 10/3 5 108.97 %
maximize.gif Frickley Athletic v Whitby Town (15:00 GMT) 10/11 13/5 5/2 108.73 %
maximize.gif Kendal Town v Burscough (15:00 GMT) 8/15 14/5 9/2 109.71 %
maximize.gif Marine v Chorley (15:00 GMT) 11/10 13/5 19/10 109.88 %
maximize.gif Mickleover Sports v Matlock Town (15:00 GMT) 17/10 5/2 13/10 109.09 %
maximize.gif North Ferriby United v Worksop Town (15:00 GMT) 6/5 13/5 15/8 108.01 %
maximize.gif Stafford Rangers v Hednesford Town (15:00 GMT) 12/5 13/5 10/11 109.55 %
Evo-Stik Southern Prem Monday 2 January 2012 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Hitchin Town v Bedford Town (13:00 GMT) 11/10 13/5 9/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Banbury United v Oxford City (15:00 GMT) 8/5 5/2 5/4 111.48 %
maximize.gif Bashley v Swindon Supermarine (15:00 GMT) 11/10 13/5 9/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Cambridge City v Arlesey Town (15:00 GMT) 8/13 14/5 10/3 111.30 %
maximize.gif Chippenham Town v Frome Town (15:00 GMT) 4/6 14/5 3 111.32 %
maximize.gif Evesham United v Brackley Town (15:00 GMT) 11/5 13/5 10/11 111.41 %
maximize.gif Hemel Hempstead Town v St Albans City (15:00 GMT) 7/5 13/5 7/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Leamington v Redditch United (15:00 GMT) 8/13 14/5 10/3 111.30 %
maximize.gif Stourbridge v Barwell (15:00 GMT) 17/20 13/5 12/5 111.24 %
maximize.gif Weymouth v AFC Totton (15:00 GMT) 2 13/5 1/1 111.11 %
Ryman Prem Monday 2 January 2012 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Lewes v Horsham (12:00 GMT) 1/4 4 8 111.11 %
maximize.gif AFC Hornchurch v Lowestoft Town (15:00 GMT) 8/5 5/2 5/4 111.48 %
maximize.gif Bury Town v Billericay Town (15:00 GMT) 6/4 13/5 13/10 111.26 %
maximize.gif Carshalton Athletic v Cray Wanderers (15:00 GMT) 13/10 13/5 6/4 111.26 %
maximize.gif Concord Rangers v Aveley (15:00 GMT) 8/11 11/4 11/4 111.23 %
maximize.gif East Thurrock United v Canvey Island (15:00 GMT) 6/4 13/5 13/10 111.26 %
maximize.gif Harrow Borough v Hendon (15:00 GMT) 11/5 13/5 10/11 111.41 %
maximize.gif Kingstonian v Tooting & Mitcham United (15:00 GMT) 4/6 14/5 3 111.32 %
maximize.gif Leatherhead v Metropolitan Police (15:00 GMT) 2 13/5 1/1 111.11 %
maximize.gif Margate v Hastings United (15:00 GMT) 4/6 14/5 3 111.32 %
maximize.gif Wingate & Finchley v Wealdstone (15:00 GMT) 8/5 5/2 5/4 111.48 %

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 Ryman Premier Canvey Island v Hornchurch Sat 31st Dec 15.00 Canvey (9th) play Hornchurch (3rd) Season so far: Canvey at home: 4/0/6 8/12 Hornchurch away: 10/0/1 25/8 Looking at Hornchurch's superb away record, I think their odds should be quite a bit lower than 2.0, but they are 2.2 with Bet365 and Coral As far as I can see, Hornchurch have played the other top 5 teams away, and won 4 and lost 1, so they should be strong favourites to beat mid-table Canvey, shouldn't they? http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2011/12/31/england/non-league-premier/canvey-island-fc/afc-hornchurch/1150081/ Hornchurch look good value at 2.2

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 That's a good shout, MP Louis. In all honesty, I think the good run has flattered AFC Hornchurch at touch, but they defend well and they have a number of options going forward - for my money, they are a better side than Billericay, and certainly offer something more than a mere organised and physical challenge. I am also bearish on the chances of Canvey Island, who have been opposed a few times in recent weeks on here. All in all, 6/5 is higher than I can make it.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 Margate away at Aveley (5/4 Bet365) I was bigging up the chances of Margate on here in the pre-season threads - and have been eating humble pie through most of the autumn. But their fortunes are on the up and their only loss in eight has been at home to the fanatically well-organised Met Police. Away, they have been as good as anyone in the section with wins at Cray and Harrow in the last three, plus at draw at Billericay (their only defeat on the road in the league came at Lewes). I wonder sometimes whether Chris Kinnear is always able to get the best out of a talented squad (the recent unimpressive cameos by Warren McBean won't have helped in that regard), but there does seem to be a feeling that they are moving in the right direction, and with Kwesi Appiah looking the real deal up front they will surely have enough to see off an Aveley side that is massively off the pace. It's just one win in ten, and that a scratchy 2-1 home success over bottom-feeders Horsham. New boss Lee Hodges has had a difficult start following that first-game win over Horsham, with Billericay, AFC Hornchurch and Hendon among the opponents. He's brought in some new blood and although performances are better results aren't coming - they are conceding daft goals and not scoring at the other end as he seeks the right blend. Boxing Day's 3-0 home defeat by ETU was something of a surprise, and I'm sure Margate won't find it as easy, but it's hard to fathom this price.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 Redditch United away at Evesham United (7/4 Bet365) Evesham did for me on Boxing Day with their win at Ciren, though they had to work hard for it and found Ciren's strikers in generous mood and keeper Dan Platt in fine form. Their 3-0-8 home record is unimpressive, though they are capable on their day as one of those wins was over AFC Totton. Skipper Wayne Daniel is missing for this one, and that will help to Redditch as he's the main defensive organiser. I've been impressed with what Graham Hyde is achieving at Redditch in turning a run-of-the-mill squad into credible challengers for next season. He's been blooding some youngsters as well as making some shrewd signings from rivals' cast-off bucket (Tom Berwick from Leam is the best of the bunch). They were a touch unfortunate to lose to Stourbridge on Boxing Day, but away they've won successively at Hemel, Weymouth and Bedford. They've clearly a game-plan that works on the road and at 7/4 I'll back them to pull off a fourth successive win against a side that splutters at home.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 St Albans City away at Weymouth (2/1 widespread) I mentioned a few weeks back that St Albans will be ones to watch for the rest of the season and they have been doing some good things after some useful additions to the squad, including Micah Hyde, who is making them purr rather nicely. Since the terrible beating at Barwell, they have scored 3-0 wins over Cambridge City and Hitchin and notched a point at home to a decent Chesham side in a high-quality game on Boxing Day. Weymouth are no mugs this season, and in Warren Byerley they have the game's outstanding player (though he somewhow contrived to miss two spot kicks at Frome). They have won the last two at home to Bashley and Leam, but both were somewhat scratchy and they rarely keep clean sheets in league games. It may be a little premature to be singing the praises of St Albans but 2/1 is a mite higher than my own price against a Weymouth side who must try to get over the fact that George Rolls is 'fully committed' to the them.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 Not much else for me on Saturday, although there are some intriguing match-ups. In the Southern, Oxford City are missing Lee Steele and Steve Basham tomorrow, which will give an edge to Cambridge City, who emerged from a poor a spell with a good win at Bedford last week. The trouble is that a best of a 13/10 Cambridge is not great value. I'd have been prepared to give Ciren another go at Bashley, but the home side have been a touch unlucky of late, though 11/4 is higher than I set the price about the visitors. The best short-odds play is probably Chesham United at home to an Arlesey Town who've gone three games without scoring. A best of 8/13 is decent acca material if nothing else. The Ryman has plenty of good games, too. I can see value in Wealdstone at home to Carshalton at Evs, but I'm not convinced that Carshalton's recent good run is over after some scratchy performances. Tooting/Leatherhead looks too close to call, as does Met Police/Lewes. There is probably some value in Bury at Hendon, but given their injury list I'll swerve. Just Margate, Redditch United and St Albans City for me, and I'm think also that MPLouis' suggestion of AFC Hornchurch is a good one.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2

afc totton good price at 6/4. swindon aswell. in same league.
Interesting picks, SuperImps, but some more detail would be appreciated. What are your reasons for picking these? For my money, the AFC Totton price is about right as it's a difficult match to call. Adi Mings is doing a superb job at Chippenham and has really got them playing well now that they have their injured players back: they are credible challengers in a difficult league. AFC Totton have been a breath of fresh air, but I suspect life will be more difficult for them second half as teams get wise to their way of playing and the ways you can stop it. Swindon is a very interesting one, and 11/2 is a big price. Since their cup exploits, Stourbridge have been unimpressive, and their two wins over Ciren and Redditch were unimpressive. The problem is that Swindon Super, who had been showing signs of life, have lost the last three without scoring. Still, I'd say 11/2 is a bigger price than what I'd set.

Ryman Premier Canvey Island v Hornchurch Sat 31st Dec 15.00 Canvey (9th) play Hornchurch (3rd) Season so far: Canvey at home: 4/0/6 8/12 Hornchurch away: 10/0/1 25/8 Looking at Hornchurch's superb away record, I think their odds should be quite a bit lower than 2.0, but they are 2.2 with Bet365 and Coral As far as I can see, Hornchurch have played the other top 5 teams away, and won 4 and lost 1, so they should be strong favourites to beat mid-table Canvey, shouldn't they? http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2011/12/31/england/non-league-premier/canvey-island-fc/afc-hornchurch/1150081/ Hornchurch look good value at 2.2
Result: Canvey 4 Hornchurch 1 Bet Lost I didn't bet myself - but surprised at the scoreline.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 To combine two thoughts from recent weeks - that both Margate and Concord Rangers are improving - I'm doubling the pair at 4/6 and 8/11 respectively. Concord have beaten Cray, Lewes and Canvey in the last four, and in the other game drew at home to Billericay. Aveley have yet to really get started under new management, and 8/11 is a touch of value. Margate are in very handsome nick, and they should be really be buoyant going into this one. Hastings had an uptick in form in November, but the last four have brought only a single point at Kingstonian. Both prices are too big, and given my usual policy of turning my nose up at anything odds-on, I'd doubling the pair.

Doubling doesn't affect the 'value' of the bet though' date=' does it?[/quote'] No, just the payout. I do my own prices before the bookies and see how their sense of value matches mine. Almost always, it's prices from Evs up where I find the biggest deviation. Doubling is also useful to generate a return when you face staking restrictions, although of course there are more variables to contend with.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 A couple more plays for tomorrow: Chasetown at home to Rushall Olympic (Evs, widespread) I expected much more from Chasetown this term, but with three successive wins - including a fine win at Hednesford - there are suggestions they are getting it right. That was a fully committed performance, and the same again should be enough to account for a Rushall side that has been treading water after a good start. Buxton at home to Stocksbridge Park Steels (Evs, widespread) There's nothing much wrong with Buxton's squad and there are signs that they are beginning to get their mojo back under Scott Maxfield. Home performances have been limp - no league wins since September - but most of those were under John Reed's uninspired stewardship, and wins at Whitby and a good point at Matlock suggests a side that is feeling more comfortable with itself. SPS are, as I said last week, in a transitional phase, and there is nothing in their squad to match the threat of Mark Reed. East Thurrock United at home to Canvey Island (13/8 Stan James, Skybet) ETU have been finding their feet after a difficult autumn - they've a settled side that is defending pretty well, Sam Higgins is in good form at the business end, and Petrit Elbi is proving to be a tricky customer as an impact sub. The last three games - all on the road - have produced maximum points. They are less sure-footed at home, but they have beaten Welling in the Trophy and seen off Lewes in the last four. I'm hoping their recent momentum will carry them through against a Canvey side who are not performing as well as some of their results suggest - the win against Hornchurch was commendable, with the excellent Bradley Woods-Garness outstanding in both games since he signed, but they only got back into the game after the visitors suffered a red. Keeping him quiet may be the key to this one, but I'm not sure that the rest of the squad is functioning as it should, and John Batch is certainly on the lookout for new recruits. As of now, ETU look the happier side and the big price has some value.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 Other than the Margate/Concord double, East Thurrock, Buxton and Chasetown, I'm probably done for today. (Though doubling Cambridge City at home to ailing Arlesey Town and Kendal Town at home Burscough also appeals - I'm awaiting team news). The most intriguing match today is Kingstonian/Tooting in the Ryman. Regulars here will know about the Kenny Brown revamp going on at Tooting (and the 'FL in seven years' plan). Judging by the mood at Imperial Fields on Saturday, there is certainly much more optimism in the camp than at any time this season. They have brought in some decent players in the past fortnight, and they certainly had their moments against Leatherhead, although terrible defensive blunders meant they had no chance of getting back in the game. They could certainly outpace Leatherhead's defence, and it might be a similar story today, although I am not quite drawn enough to the 3/1 quote about Tooting. I've seen enough of Kingstonian at home this season to know that they are utterly unpredictable. A further question mark hangs over Tooting keeper Darren Behcet, who got a knee in the head at 3-1 and soon conceded a fourth before heading groggily off the pitch to be replaced in goal by striker Charlie Stimson. If they don't get that situation resolved (I was told on Saturday that their other keepers have been released), they could be in for a pounding. We've been following Leatherhead's rise on here for weeks now - I was first recommending them in September when they were bottom and winless - and they've done very well for this thread. But I have to say that they didn't completely impress on Saturday, bar the imperious Tom Hutchins up front, who looked a cut above anyone else in the side. To be fair, he was up against the weakest part of the Tooting side - its defence - but he certainly had more say in the game than playmaker Mark Simmonds, who looked a bit off the pace. Defensively they were a touch nervy at times and they also had spells were they went completely flat, and I suspect a more purposeful Met Police will have a good chance against them, though I'd want a price better than that available. I've followed Worksop Town a number of times this season but I've also been impressed by Billy Heath's tweaks at North Ferriby and I think it's the home side who have a great chance today, Gregg Anderson and Dominic Riordan are good signings who have slipped into the squad very well, but a best of 6/5 is not quite persuasive enough. In the Southern, I might have taken AFC Totton, as Weymouth were outplayed for long spells by St Albans, but Evs isn't quite enough. I can see why there have been nibbles at the Bedford price as they haven't lost away since early September. But almost all those came against bottom-half sides, and successive home wins for Hitchin suggest they are through the worst of their bad patch after some squad changes.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 Hello all, i have not posted on here for a while but i think Kendal are worth a look at home to Burscough 8/15. Rumours flying around that this will be the last game for a few of the Burscough players due to wages being cut etc. and i dont think Kendal away is a easy fixture anyway, whilst Kendal have won there last 3 games against Stocksbridge 4-2 at home, Woodley 2-0 (in cup) and a great win at Chorley 3-2 (up 3-0 at half time). I think its a home banker. Also Northwich away at Ashton 8/11 looks decent especially with Ashton's attacking trio of Aaron Burns,Kevin Sanasy & Matthew O,Neil all suspended for this fixture against a well drilled andy preece outfit.

Hello all, i have not posted on here for a while but i think Kendal are worth a look at home to Burscough 8/15. Rumours flying around that this will be the last game for a few of the Burscough players due to wages being cut etc. and i dont think Kendal away is a easy fixture anyway, whilst Kendal have won there last 3 games against Stocksbridge 4-2 at home, Woodley 2-0 (in cup) and a great win at Chorley 3-2 (up 3-0 at half time). I think its a home banker. Also Northwich away at Ashton 8/11 looks decent especially with Ashton's attacking trio of Aaron Burns,Kevin Sanasy & Matthew O,Neil all suspended for this fixture against a well drilled andy preece outfit.
Good shouts, Scouse Joe. Kendal are finding their goalscoring potential again, and Burscough are slipping back after some glints of promise under Derek Goulding's management - he really has got his work cut out. Ashton have been going off the boil for a while, though I'm not sure there is massive value in 8/11 about the visitors, though they do look stronger in key areas.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 Decent enough afternoon, though Chasetown and Buxton were big failures - apologies for those. But the Margate/Concord play came in for a decent return, as did East Thurrock at a price almost as good. Good call by scousejoe on Northwich. Overall, an excellent start to the year, and good to see over 7,000 people viewing the Punter's Lounge non-league threads this weekend, with some cracking tips.

Re: England > Weekend > Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Dec 31, Jan 2 I was at Kingstonian/Tooting today and I have to say Tooting were much improved defensively from the Leatherhead game on Saturday. Centre back Mo Habu, who was dreadful on Saturday, was a different player, and right back Matt Drage did much better, too, against Kingstonian's strong left side. Jamie England and Jordan Wilson were energetic in midfield. Kingstonian fielded new signings Matt Pattinson and Fola Orilonishe, though both struggled to get into the game. At least Tooting had a recognised keeper, with Tom Giddens returning. They started nervously, and you could see why Kingstonian switched ends after winning the toss at the start as the low sun blinded the Tooting defence for the first half-hour. I think it was Ronnie Fletcher who turned in Orilonishe's unthreatening cross after completely losing his bearings to give Kingstonian the lead. Tooting were fortunate to equalise when the usually excellent Rob Tolfrey was beaten to a cross by Charlie Stimson - interesting few days for Stimson: two goals and a couple of cracking saves as a sub keeper. Kingstonian were huff and puff for much of the match. Tom Bird was excellent driving down the left, but Orilonishe's presence on the left wing held him back a touch, whereas a few weeks ago he might have driven on. Bobby Traynor was the lone striker and was busy, although he really needs a partner. Matt Pattison's best work is as an attacking midfielder, and he did put a decent shift in today, although at times was struggling to get on the same wavelength as his team mates - he should make Kingstonian a more threatening side in the future. The late winner needed some help from the ref, though territorially Kingstonian were well on top without really threatening. In fact, Stimson contrived to miss the best opening of the afternoon on the hour for Tooting, although it would have been harsh on the home side had they gone behind. Looking forward, Tooting will start picking up points if the can keep their discipline as they did today, although you wouldn't fancy them against the better sides. With new players to come in, I suspect they will stay up. Kingstonian still have work to do. Matt Pattison is an excellent signing but his abilities have to be harnessed in a formation that allows his creativity to flourish - there's too much that's workmanlike about Kingstonian this season. They need a frontman as well.