** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December

Spooner

Saturday 17 December 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gifBlackburn Rovers v West Bromwich Albion (15:00 GMT) 2.4 3.5 3.3 100.54 %
maximize.gifEverton v Norwich City (15:00 GMT) 1.67 4 6.2 101.01 %
maximize.gifFulham v Bolton Wanderers (15:00 GMT) 1.67 4 6.6 100.03 %
maximize.gifNewcastle United v Swansea City (15:00 GMT) 1.85 3.65 5 101.45 %
maximize.gifWolverhampton Wanderers v Stoke City (15:00 GMT) 2.66 3.45 2.94 100.59 %
maximize.gifWigan Athletic v Chelsea (17:30 GMT) 10 5.1 1.44 98.84 %
Sunday 18 December 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gifQueens Park Rangers v Manchester United (12:00 GMT) 8 4.5 1.51 100.95 %
maximize.gifAston Villa v Liverpool (14:05 GMT) 4.3 3.55 2.1 99.04 %
maximize.gifTottenham Hotspur v Sunderland (15:00 GMT) 1.4 5 9.4 102.07 %
maximize.gifManchester City v Arsenal (16:10 GMT) 1.74 3.95 5.6 100.64 %

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Man.City - Arsenal On Monday against Chelsea we saw that Man.City struggle when it comes to playing against stronger teams and I don’t expect them to have an easy game against Arsenal. Moreover, they have some important players missing in defense, namely Gael Clichy, Aleksandar Kolarov and Micah Richards is doubtful and even if he plays I am not sure he will be at 100%. Arsenal are in good form and apart from their long term absentees have a strong squad. Arsenal played really well against in the Carling Cup without most of their key players and I believe that with in form Van Persie and other key players they will be able to get something from this game. Arsenal +1 @ 2.20 (5 units) William Hill

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Cannot agree with this at all, perhaps I'm biased, or maybe others will agree. Man city missing defenders is a slight concern, however Kompany, Lescott, Toure, Zabaleta and Savic are all available and I would much prefer to see a defence formed from these than anything Arsenal could throw together. As for Arsenal's strong squad, not only is it lacking any quality in depth they are reliant on RVP and gervinho to create all their goals. Man City to whitewash Arsenal. city-2 @ 9/2....or if city -3 @ 11/1 is even tempting me at that value (think back to spurs and man united games)

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December

Cannot agree with this at all, perhaps I'm biased, or maybe others will agree. Man city missing defenders is a slight concern, however Kompany, Lescott, Toure, Zabaleta and Savic are all available and I would much prefer to see a defence formed from these than anything Arsenal could throw together. As for Arsenal's strong squad, not only is it lacking any quality in depth they are reliant on RVP and gervinho to create all their goals. Man City to whitewash Arsenal. city-2 @ 9/2....or if city -3 @ 11/1 is even tempting me at that value (think back to spurs and man united games)
Disagree with all that! Arsenal have been playing brilliantly of late and even if they are reliant on Van Persie, its only a problem for Arsenal if he isnt playing! He will be playing so Arsenal will be a huge threat! Arsenal went to Chelsea and won 5-3, ye went to Chelsea and lost 2-1, yer games against United and Spurs have no bearing whatsoever on this match and i fancy Arsenal to get a result against an over-rated City team!

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Yes, initially Everton are extraordinarily short, given their lack of goalscoring and Norwich's good form and exuberance. I think United are too short also, looking at their current injury hit squad and patchy form. Also Rooney to score looks a good bet for such a streaky striker (having began a streak by netting 2 last wknd) Swansea could be worth a play especially as injuries are finally hitting a slim Newcastle squad. Sunderland might be worth a bet too against a Spurs team playing midweek and Sunderland are going through a "honeymoon period" where results are usually unpredictable.

Arsenal +1 @ 2.20 (5 units) William Hill
Normally I think this would be a good bet but I am very concerned about Arsenal's problems in the full-back positions with all those injuries. Against lesser sides it's not so much of a problem but Man City have players that can expose those areas. Will have to look at team news when it comes out.

Normally I think this would be a good bet but I am very concerned about Arsenal's problems in the full-back positions with all those injuries. Against lesser sides it's not so much of a problem but Man City have players that can expose those areas. Will have to look at team news when it comes out.
They struggled against Arsenal "reserves" in Carling Cup, still think there is a value on the Gunners.

Sunderland might be worth a bet too against a Spurs team playing midweek and Sunderland are going through a "honeymoon period" where results are usually unpredictable.
The spurs team for the thursday europa league game will have at most 1-2 players who will play Sunderland on Sunday, so I don't think the midweek fixture will have any impact upon the outcome of the game. Even with the honeymoon period, I don't see Sunderland getting anything at WHL on Sunday. Spurs are too short for me to back though so I will probably leave this match alone and look elsewhere.

Man.City - Arsenal On Monday against Chelsea we saw that Man.City struggle when it comes to playing against stronger teams and I don’t expect them to have an easy game against Arsenal. Moreover, they have some important players missing in defense, namely Gael Clichy, Aleksandar Kolarov and Micah Richards is doubtful and even if he plays I am not sure he will be at 100%. Arsenal are in good form and apart from their long term absentees have a strong squad. Arsenal played really well against in the Carling Cup without most of their key players and I believe that with in form Van Persie and other key players they will be able to get something from this game. Arsenal +1 @ 2.20 (5 units) William Hill
This is my opinion on this. On monday Man City was the better team in the first half and could easily have led with 2 or 3 goals before a moment of brilliance from Sturridge to set up Meireles. In the second half they deservedly got a red card and from there Chelsea dominated. So I wouldn't say that Man City struggled, only had a bad day not to get a result. And Carling Cup isn't the same as Premier League for Man City, their main focus will this season be PL. And for the injuries, IF Richards plays the defense will not be a problem for Man City as they surely will play Richards-Kompany-Lescott-Zabaleta and that's a solid defense. I personally think that Arsenal will get into trouble and lose by a couple of goals but we just have to see how it pans out.

This is my opinion on this. On monday Man City was the better team in the first half and could easily have led with 2 or 3 goals before a moment of brilliance from Sturridge to set up Meireles. In the second half they deservedly got a red card and from there Chelsea dominated. So I wouldn't say that Man City struggled, only had a bad day not to get a result. And Carling Cup isn't the same as Premier League for Man City, their main focus will this season be PL. And for the injuries, IF Richards plays the defense will not be a problem for Man City as they surely will play Richards-Kompany-Lescott-Zabaleta and that's a solid defense. I personally think that Arsenal will get into trouble and lose by a couple of goals but we just have to see how it pans out.
I too don't think Arsenal will win but City have been unconvincing at the back lets not forget, even with their first choice defence. Last time they kept a clean sheet in PL was 1st October- or 8 games ago. Arsenal have tightened things up especially at home but away their open style sees the opposition create plenty of chances. BTTS and overs surely looks the way forward here. Oh and for the Chelsea goals was it brilliant play by Sturridge or woeful defending, Clichy seemed to be beaten FAR to easily and who was marking the late midfield runner in the area? Those lapses in the City defence have happended frequently, and they are usually indebted to Hart for keeping them in matches (Liverpool, QPR and Newcastle all spring to mind).

Man.City - Arsenal On Monday against Chelsea we saw that Man.City struggle when it comes to playing against stronger teams and I don’t expect them to have an easy game against Arsenal. Moreover, they have some important players missing in defense, namely Gael Clichy, Aleksandar Kolarov and Micah Richards is doubtful and even if he plays I am not sure he will be at 100%. Arsenal are in good form and apart from their long term absentees have a strong squad. Arsenal played really well against in the Carling Cup without most of their key players and I believe that with in form Van Persie and other key players they will be able to get something from this game.
Not that I disagree with your bet, but I do think your logic is flawed. Do not agree that City struggle against stronger teams. Acclaimed champion contender, Tottenham were well beaten 1-5 at WHL. United were humiliated at Old Trafford, 1-6. City outplayed Chelsea for the first ½ hour, and could easily have been leading by a couple of goals by half time. The red card changed the game, and even then, Chelsea didn't look like scoring, as City settled for a draw. The Arsenal game counts for nothing imo, as both teams changed 9 or 10 players, and even then, City won. At Emirates. Then, of course, there is the Champions League, but I think thats a different ball game.
Disagree with all that! Arsenal have been playing brilliantly of late and even if they are reliant on Van Persie' date=' its only a problem for Arsenal if he isnt playing! He will be playing so Arsenal will be a huge threat! Arsenal went to Chelsea and won 5-3, ye went to Chelsea and lost 2-1, yer games against United and Spurs have no bearing whatsoever on this match and i fancy Arsenal to get a result against an over-rated City team![/quote'] Disagree with almost all of that! It's surely not an advantage, being reliant on one player. He's a threat, but who else is? And even Van Persie can have a quiet game. The games against United and Spurs have no bearing, but Citys and Arsenal visits to Stamford Bridge can easily be compared. Huh? If that's the case, I would like to compare the teams visit to Old Trafford. Looks like they are in for a hammering! In all honesty, I think it's a tough game to call. For Arsenal to get something, Van Persie needs to be firing, City are aware of that, and will try their utmost to keep him quiet. Arsenal do have a decent record against Man City. City have threats from everywhere against and imo average Arsenal defence. Citys defense missing some players. If I were to do something, I would jump on the goals market. Over 3 goals @ 2.17 - Canbet A bet I do like is Blackburn to beat WBA. For me, Blackburn are the better team, and their league position misplaced. Team seems to be rallying around Steve Kean. They score goals. Odemwingie misfiring and WBA as a whole, have yet to impress me this season. Home win for me. Blackburn win @ 2.48 - Pinnacle

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Over 2.5 in Man City vs Arsenal is 1.8 with Stan James. That looks a great price. Arsenal are 10/15 overs in the Prem this season, City 13/15. Most of the games between top sides have gone over. Both sides will try and win the game, with Arsenal playing on the counter.

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December i think most people will overlook bolton and expect them to lose again but i think this week they will have got over themselves and produce a winning performance. they are simply due a win and when teams are like that and going nowhere its only matter of time. i think odds on outright win for bolton 6/1 is excellent price for small stake

i think most people will overlook bolton and expect them to lose again but i think this week they will have got over themselves and produce a winning performance. they are simply due a win and when teams are like that and going nowhere its only matter of time. i think odds on outright win for bolton 6/1 is excellent price for small stake
Based on head to head stats between these two sides I am leaning towards a lowscoring draw.

i think most people will overlook bolton and expect them to lose again but i think this week they will have got over themselves and produce a winning performance. they are simply due a win and when teams are like that and going nowhere its only matter of time. i think odds on outright win for bolton 6/1 is excellent price for small stake
The dreaded "due a win" argument, eh :D Bolton have been so so poor all season, and it comes as a complete shock to me. But maybe they shot themselves in the foot by trying to completely change their style of play. Now, they look to have zero fight, and concede all to easily for my liking. Not sure Fulham are value at that sort of price, but it's hard to make a case for Bolton right now. Given the head to heads, coupled with Bolton's dire form. (no idea how they beat Stoke 5-0 btw) Also, head to heads go against Bolton a great deal here. They've never beaten Fulham at Craven Cottage in ten attempts in the league, and Fulham have won eight of those fixtures. Even the two cup games they won against Fulham at Craven Cottage - one was in extra time after a 1-1 draw, in the Carling Cup, and the other a narrow 1-0 in the FA Cup. I've made this point before, but how do you determine when a side that are sustaining heavy losses are next due a win? If they don't win in five games, will the next result yield a win? :unsure And so on and so on. I appreciate the law of averages, but with that thinking you could be saying that each week with no return, and for me there's no reasoned logic for justifying a bet based on the notion that a side hasn't won in a while, ergo, they are more likely to win the next game than they have been all season. Even disregarding the fact the side in question have been poor :ok

The dreaded "due a win" argument, eh :D Bolton have been so so poor all season, and it comes as a complete shock to me. But maybe they shot themselves in the foot by trying to completely change their style of play. Now, they look to have zero fight, and concede all to easily for my liking. Not sure Fulham are value at that sort of price, but it's hard to make a case for Bolton right now. Given the head to heads, coupled with Bolton's dire form. (no idea how they beat Stoke 5-0 btw) Also, head to heads go against Bolton a great deal here. They've never beaten Fulham at Craven Cottage in ten attempts in the league, and Fulham have won eight of those fixtures. Even the two cup games they won against Fulham at Craven Cottage - one was in extra time after a 1-1 draw, in the Carling Cup, and the other a narrow 1-0 in the FA Cup. I've made this point before, but how do you determine when a side that are sustaining heavy losses are next due a win? If they don't win in five games, will the next result yield a win? :unsure And so on and so on. I appreciate the law of averages, but with that thinking you could be saying that each week with no return, and for me there's no reasoned logic for justifying a bet based on the notion that a side hasn't won in a while, ergo, they are more likely to win the next game than they have been all season. Even disregarding the fact the side in question have been poor :ok
statistics can be misleading and i don't rely on them too much as teams and results from years ago are irrelevant unless its derbies which tend to have consistent outcomes. bolton have hit the bottom and they can't sink much lower than that-on losing and streak and last position in the premier league table so they only have one way to go. in terms of team spirit if i was manager i'd be looking for good performance. i am of belief that any team can be beaten on the day regardless of the opposition and history. the bookies have have put high odds on bolton because they haven't won in a while. if they were coming to this game on the back of a win the odds would be around 3.40 which i think reflects the actual strength of bolton. they have just been unlucky with injuries and things like the red card few weeks ago which doomed them for another loss. let’s not forget this is the same team that used to win games comfortably a seasons before with kevin davis, ivan klasnic which can still be effective strikers. it’s at times like this that team pulls together and grinds a result so for that reason i will back them for the win

Over 2.5 in Man City vs Arsenal is 1.8 with Stan James. That looks a great price. Arsenal are 10/15 overs in the Prem this season' date=' City 13/15. Most of the games between top sides have gone over. Both sides will try and win the game, with Arsenal playing on the counter.[/quote'] I do completely agree. A lot of guy are not agree about which team will win. But I think most of us expect at least 3 goals.

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Aston Villa v Liverpool : Liverpool Clean Sheet 2.50@Bet365 Liverpool have the best defensive record in the league. Their away record reads 7 goals conceded in 7 games, however 4 of these came against Spurs when they were reduced to nine men. In ~20 games in all comps this season that spurs game is the only one they have conceded more than 1 goal. Villa on the other hand have one of the worst shots on goal stats in the league. They are also missing their most creative player this season in Agbonlohor.

• There have been just five goals scored in the last five Premier League meetings between Villa and Liverpool at Villa Park.
  • Villa have scored just four goals in their last 12 Premier League home games against liverpool.

:hope

Aston Villa v Liverpool : Liverpool Clean Sheet 2.50@Bet365 Liverpool have the best defensive record in the league. Their away record reads 7 goals conceded in 7 games, however 4 of these came against Spurs when they were reduced to nine men. In ~20 games in all comps this season that spurs game is the only one they have conceded more than 1 goal. Villa on the other hand have one of the worst shots on goal stats in the league. They are also missing their most creative player this season in Agbonlohor.
  • There have been just five goals scored in the last five Premier League meetings between Villa and Liverpool at Villa Park.
  • Villa have scored just four goals in their last 12 Premier League home games against liverpool.

Tottenham v Sunderland: Tottenham (-1.5AH) 2.15@Bet365 Spurs were very hard done by last week and I think the players will be very motivated to get back to winning ways. There home record is P6 W5 L1, F15 A7, the defeat being a 5-1 loss to Man City. Sunderland have been fairly tight away from home, only conceding 8 in 7 games but they have yet to face anyone of Tottenhams scoring power so I expect the handicap to be covered. :hope

Aston Villa v Liverpool : Liverpool Clean Sheet 2.50@Bet365 Liverpool have the best defensive record in the league. Their away record reads 7 goals conceded in 7 games, however 4 of these came against Spurs when they were reduced to nine men. In ~20 games in all comps this season that spurs game is the only one they have conceded more than 1 goal. Villa on the other hand have one of the worst shots on goal stats in the league. They are also missing their most creative player this season in Agbonlohor.

Good call. Though I would be weary about betting on teams to get clean sheets/non clean sheets as it only takes a second to score to a goal. Under 2.5 looks overpriced at 1.78 and Under 1.5 is 3.25 Betfair :ok

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Everton Vs. Norwich City Selection: Norwich City + 0.5 @ 2.48 Pinnacle Stake: 10/10 Definitely agree with the previous posters that Everton look short this weekend and should be opposed. Norwich have probably been the best of the newly promoted teams and are sitting in 10th in the EPL, 2 positions ahead of Everton. The Norwich team have been no mugs this season and have been putting their best foot forward against the EPL's best teams even when playing away from home. While Norwich have been defensively exposed at times this season they always look like they can score at the other end. Everton have been struggling to find the back of the net this season and I don't think they deserve to be so heavily favored. Everton have not invested a lot of money into their squad in recent seasons and I think the cracks are beginning to show. Without an inform goalscorer they may struggle to overpower Norwich so I will happily back the away team on a handicap, good luck :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Wigan Vs. Chelsea Selection: Chelsea - 1.5 @ 2.14 Pinnacle Stake: 10/10 I can't really look past Chelsea securing a comfortable win when they take on Wigan this weekend at the DW stadium. After Chelsea's 2-1 victory against Man City on Monday night confidence and motivation must be high within the Chelsea camp. With the considerable attacking talent that Chelsea posses I can see them exposing a poor Wigan team. While Wigan themselves are coming off a morale boosting win (2-1 against West Brom) I am still convinced that they are relegation fodder. An early Chelsea goal I think would put Wigan in all sorts of bother as they will probably implement a strategy to contain Chelsea's playmakers. However, as was witnessed the weekend before when Arsenal thrashed Wigan 4-0 they can cave in without much resistance if exposed early. I think odds against for a comfortable Chelsea victory looks generous, good luck :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Fulham Vs. Bolton Selection: Bolton + 0.5 @ 2.49 Pinnacle Stake: 10/10 I think Fulham are too short when they face Bolton at Craven Cottage this Saturday in the EPL. Fulham's last gasp exit from the Europa League on Wednesday night must have been a real kick in the teeth for the team. Fulham surrendered a 2 goal lead in that game and were fielding a team with many 1st choice players. Given the disadvantage that Fulham have in terms of rest and preparation for this game I really feel that Bolton have caught them at a good time. Bolton are having a poor season but also seem to be suffering from a bad run of luck. In need of a result to steer them off the bottom of the table I think the Bolton players will relish a physical encounter against a team who may be suffering from a European hangover. Odds against for Bolton to snatch something here seems like a solid value bet to me, good luck :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Barclays Premier League > 17-18 December Just an idea - wonder what more experienced punters think about it. There should be goals in Man City - Arsenal. Both teams are good going forward and both experienced their share of problems at the back - 3-4 goals should be a certainty. Over 3.5 is now around 2.75 so i suggest taking it and then waiting what happens. If there are at least two goals around 60-70 minutes odds on under 3.5 should go higher than evens than we can put the same stake as we did on over 3.5 and guarantee a profit no matter what happens.