** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: KFC Big Bash League

kevshat

Australia's domestic T20 tournament starts on Friday and like in previous years the event will be streamed live on various bookmakers live streaming service which should ensure there some decent betting markets around for the event. Unlike in previous years where just the six states have entered, the tournament has franchised a little bit with Sydney and Melbourne having two teams and the cities being represented rather than states. With two extra teams the tournament has lengthened a bit too but the format remains the same with everyone playing everyone once but unlike in previous years there will be two semi finals and a final to decide the winner rather than a prelim final and a final. The top 4 in the league will go into the semi finals which are straight knockout. Should be a cracking tournament but it's a tad too long for me to copy the schedule over. It can be found here though - http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2011/content/series/509666.html?template=fixtures Fire away gentlemen :ok

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League I was looking at some of the outrights and I certainly believe that there might be some value picks in the top batsman market (EW terms are 1/4 for five places with Bet365 - you can get some better prices elsewhere, but only with four places it seems) David Warner looked great in the last test and he should be opening the batting for Sydney Thunder, who will need all the runs they can get from him and Gayle, since their bowling looks a bit light. With that said, 17.00 looks a bit too much for someone of his quality. The second one I like there is Kieron Pollard, who as we all know can produce some explosive batting and looked fine in India. His team line-up is not that great and he should get plenty of time at the crease. The price looks really tasty at 41.00. Anyone sees something that I am missing? Other duties, injuries, etc.?

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Kieron Pollard has been ruled out through injury CP. One outright for me. 2pts ew Adelaide Strikers to win Big Bash League 7/1 Ladbrokes (1/3 1,2) Last year the South Australia Redbacks won the Big Bash and a lot of that side have signed up for the Strikers this season so I don't really see why the Strikers are as big as 7/1 particularly when Nathan Lyon is the only member of their side who will be away on international duty. Many of the sides are a lot more likely to lose players than Adelaide but what I really like about the Strikers is their choice of overseas players. Johan Botha and Alfonso Thomas are good, solid options with the ball to compliment their strong batting line up. Kieron Pollard's injury is a bit of a blow but they could only play two of their overseas players anyway. Daniel Harris and Michael Klinger are both in the squad for this tournament while they get Aiden Blizzard back after he missed their Champions League campaign. Daniel Christian and Shaun Tait are playing elsewhere but the latter is pretty expensive anyway. I believe the Strikers have a solid batting line up and with the likes of Botha, Thomas, O'Brien and Drew they have a competent enough bowling attack to put them right in the mix to effectively defend their title.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League And a first match bet for me. 4pts Sydney Sixers to beat Brisbane Heat Evs Bet365 I think the Sixers have every chance of kick starting their campaign with a win here. There are a lot of players in this Sixers side who have performed so well for New South Wales in the past and that can be crucial to their chances here. Dwayne Bravo and Michael Lumb will be boosts as overseas players but the likes of Haddin, Henriques and Bravo are good attacking batting options. With the ball Brett Lee will lead the attack which will contain Mitchell Starc, Stuart MacGill as well as Smith and O'Keefe. Brisbane have a powerful top 3 in McCullum, Hayden and Hopes but once you get through them there is a soft centre and with Vettori ruled out of this match their bowling looks a little light. The SCG often suits the Sydney teams well and I think the newly formed Sixers can begin their Big Bash life with a win in the opening match of the tournament on Friday.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Sorry Lahrio, wasn't around before the match to answer your question. I have found though that the franchises websites seem to be quite good for team news and information :ok. +4 after the Sixers won the opening match. One for me on Saturday. Going for the Sydney double. 3pts Sydney Thunder to beat Melbourne Stars 11/10 Bet365 I'll have a small bet on the away side here because I think this could be a high scoring game and if there is a high scoring game around there is one man I want on my side and that is Christopher Henry Gayle and he's on the Thunder roster for this tournament. In fact he opens with the Thunder skipper Dave Warner and if those two bat 10 overs together you can say thanks for coming to the Stars because Sydney will be away and gone. As well as those two the likes of Smith, Khawaja and Dunk are decent enough with the bat while Dougie Bollinger and Fidel Edwards can rip out any top order. For the Stars you kind of get the impression that this match is 20% about them and 80% about the return of Shane Warne. I'm not knocking them for that by any means. He's arguably the greatest Australian cricketer of all time (he is IMO with no argument necessary) so he deserves all the attention he's getting and the fact his wife to be Liz Hurley is flipping the coin suggests that Warne is very much the focus of attention here and sometimes you forget there is a game on when that is the case. The Stars sure have a fearsome side in this tournament and in Cameron White they have the man who would be skippering Australia in all 3 formats of the game if I was their chairman of selectors. The likes of Quiney, David Hussey, Adam Voges and George Bailey give the Stars a strong batting line up. Warne will lead the bowling attack although that area is weakened with the news Siddle and Pattinson will be rested for this match hence my belief this will be high scoring. Luke Wright and Jade Dernbach offer an overseas perspective in the Stars squad but I just feel amidst all the razzmatazz and the Warne-fest the Thunder have the side to pick up the win in this game.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League I agree with your pick again Kev. Just a note for Aussie punters on here - Sportsbet are doing a promotion where if your H2H bet scores over 150 and loses they refund your bet. If the Sydney top order get going, a 150+ score is certainly possible.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Loved this pick . Was wondering what to bet on until i saw your posts . Poor start but Warner got them there in the end :ok

Sorry Lahrio, wasn't around before the match to answer your question. I have found though that the franchises websites seem to be quite good for team news and information :ok. +4 after the Sixers won the opening match. One for me on Saturday. Going for the Sydney double. 3pts Sydney Thunder to beat Melbourne Stars 11/10 Bet365 I'll have a small bet on the away side here because I think this could be a high scoring game and if there is a high scoring game around there is one man I want on my side and that is Christopher Henry Gayle and he's on the Thunder roster for this tournament. In fact he opens with the Thunder skipper Dave Warner and if those two bat 10 overs together you can say thanks for coming to the Stars because Sydney will be away and gone. As well as those two the likes of Smith, Khawaja and Dunk are decent enough with the bat while Dougie Bollinger and Fidel Edwards can rip out any top order. For the Stars you kind of get the impression that this match is 20% about them and 80% about the return of Shane Warne. I'm not knocking them for that by any means. He's arguably the greatest Australian cricketer of all time (he is IMO with no argument necessary) so he deserves all the attention he's getting and the fact his wife to be Liz Hurley is flipping the coin suggests that Warne is very much the focus of attention here and sometimes you forget there is a game on when that is the case. The Stars sure have a fearsome side in this tournament and in Cameron White they have the man who would be skippering Australia in all 3 formats of the game if I was their chairman of selectors. The likes of Quiney, David Hussey, Adam Voges and George Bailey give the Stars a strong batting line up. Warne will lead the bowling attack although that area is weakened with the news Siddle and Pattinson will be rested for this match hence my belief this will be high scoring. Luke Wright and Jade Dernbach offer an overseas perspective in the Stars squad but I just feel amidst all the razzmatazz and the Warne-fest the Thunder have the side to pick up the win in this game.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Double header on Sunday but I'm going with just one in the first match. 4pts Melbourne Renegades Most 6's vs Adelaide Strikers 11/10 Coral I'm not really sure how a side with Shahid Afridi and Abdul Razzaq in it can be odds against in a most 6's market but that's what we have here. When you throw Andrew McDonald and Aaron Finch into the equation too and it looks an even bigger price. I don't know if Coral haven't factored in that Kieron Pollard has been ruled out of the tournament yet but that is the only explanation I can offer for why Coral can't split these. Fair enough Adelaide have hitters in Klinger, Harris and Ferguson but you don't hit Dirk Nannes, Shaun Tait and Shahid Afridi for too many 6's whereas this Adelaide attack could all go especially if the Pakistan duo get cracking against them. Melbourne have some world class bowlers in their attack and some of the biggest hitters in world cricket in their batting line up and that is a combination which I believe can lead to the Renegades clearing the ropes the most in the opening match of Sunday's double header.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Melbourne never turned up on Sunday but that's a double edged sword really because it kick started Adelaide's campaign nicely. +3.30 for me at the minute and I'll have one tomorrow. 4pts Melbourne Stars to beat Brisbane Heat 10/11 Stan James I think there's just about enough value in this price on the Stars who probably would've won their opening match had it not been for an insanely good knock from David Warner. If they run into an innings like that in this match then good luck to the fella who produces it but I can't see that happening. In fact if anyone is going to play an innings like that it will probably be David Hussey and he plays for the Stars. Yes it could be said that the Stars were 10-15 runs light with the bat but when someone hits 102 off 51 balls you are always going to be light I guess. Had Luke Wright taken the chance Warner offered then the Stars would probably have won easily so I have to believe a repeat performance from them here will be good enough. Brisbane got Haddin'd in their first match but 139 isn't going to get you very far in this tournament. Admittedly the Sixers have a decent bowling attack and that needs to be factored in but the Stars aren't bad in that department. I mentioned in the Heat's first game that I just don't like the strength or lack of depth in their batting. Admittedly two good openers but then what? An all rounder who can hit it a bit at 3 and a slogger at 6. I'm far from convinced that's going to get the job done on a regular basis. Yes they have Ryan Harris back in this one which should be a boost and yes I like bowling attacks over batting line up's in this format of the game but someone has to score runs to win and I believe the Stars will put the most runs on the board in this one.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Cheers mate :ok. Up to 6.94pts overall now. Going with one on Wednesday. 4pts Hobart Hurricanes to beat Sydney Sixers 10/11 Bet365 These two sides both won their opening matches but it's Hobart who I expect to win a second match here. Both sides will be missing players from their first match with Australia getting together for practice ahead of the India series and a tour match which is currently going on. Hobart lose Ricky Ponting but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing as he looks shot to pieces in my eyes while Sydney will be without Brad Haddin which would be much more of a blow because it was he who almost carried his Sixers side to victory over the Brisbane Heat in their first match. Both sides have very strong bowling attacks. I'd say Hobart have marginally the stronger although there isn't a significant amount in it but Hobart definitely have the longer and stronger batting line up and with home advantage on their side as well I think the Hurricanes can blow past the Sixers on Wednesday.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League

Cheers mate :ok. Up to 6.94pts overall now. Going with one on Wednesday. 4pts Hobart Hurricanes to beat Sydney Sixers 10/11 Bet365 These two sides both won their opening matches but it's Hobart who I expect to win a second match here. Both sides will be missing players from their first match with Australia getting together for practice ahead of the India series and a tour match which is currently going on. Hobart lose Ricky Ponting but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing as he looks shot to pieces in my eyes while Sydney will be without Brad Haddin which would be much more of a blow because it was he who almost carried his Sixers side to victory over the Brisbane Heat in their first match. Both sides have very strong bowling attacks. I'd say Hobart have marginally the stronger although there isn't a significant amount in it but Hobart definitely have the longer and stronger batting line up and with home advantage on their side as well I think the Hurricanes can blow past the Sixers on Wednesday.
Another good shout.:clap

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Hobart won that by a landslide. +10.58pts overall for the competition now. Nothing I really fancy in Thursday's match and with the drop in pitch and not knowing how it will play first time up I'll sit the match out and see if I fancy anything on Friday.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League One for me in this match. 5pts Sydney Thunder vs Adelaide Strikers - Over 10.5 6's 5/6 Sportingbet I think this line looks a little low and not just because Chris Gayle is in action in this match. This match is taking place at the ANZ Stadium which isn't a whole lot more than a football stadium. We've seen in previous Big Bash's that the boundaries here are easily accessible for any kind of batsman and that won't change here. Adelaide come into this match off the back of hitting a decent enough Melbourne Renegades bowling attack for 9 6's at the much bigger Adelaide Oval so we know they've got this total covered here and should Chris Gayle get going then they won't need to worry about this total because he'll cover it himself on this ground. It's a bit of a pain in the arse that Dave Warner isn't playing in this match but the likes of Daniel Smith can hit a big ball so it won't be all about Gayle. Both sides have enough hitters in their ranks and as long as this isn't a 100 plays 101/9 type game I would expect this 10.5 6's line to be safely covered.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Just a heads up mate... ...(I'm sure you know), but Adelaide Oval square boundaries are tiny...in fact, with the wicket on one side I'm pretty sure it was just 60m the other night. 110 6's hit here in 12 games, so just over the av...and without Gayle, the Sydney batting line up looks awful tbh. If they bat first there's a real chance imo they get knocked over for that 100... (FWIW, I agree completely that the teams with the better bowling generally do best in T20...makes Hobart deserved favs...although they could be in some low scoring games along the way. :ok )

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League

and should Chris Gayle get going then they won't need to worry about this total because he'll cover it himself .
Only 2 sixes in the first innings. Really need Gayle to fire for the 6's bet to come in.
:rollin Nice work. :ok

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Cheers guys :ok. Agree with you about Adelaide and the Sydney batting line up Taza but at what is effectively an athletics stadium in size I expected someone like Gayle to be unstoppable which thankfully he was. Chris Gayle produced a nice Christmas present there to bring the 6's home. That makes me +14.74 for the tournament now which has it's own Xmas break and is back on the 27th.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Sorry twinky. Never fancied anything earlier and while I think Hobart will win tomorrow I'm not going to back them because Hilfenhaus has been a key man for them and he's missing. I suspect Rana will fill his role but I'll just see how the Hilfenhaus absence affects them before parting with more cash on them but I wouldn't be surprised to see them win.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League One for tomorrow. 4pts Perth Scorchers to beat Brisbane Heat 4/5 Ladbrokes I was deliberating whether to take Perth in this match because I'm not a massive fan of odds on shots in this format of the game but I do believe the Scorchers will win this match. They have a win and a defeat so far but their defeat was against Hobart who are unbeaten so far so there's no disgrace in that. He slap 192 off the Renegades bowling attack which includes Shahid Afridi is a decent effort even if Shaun Marsh contributed greatly. Unfortunately Shaun Marsh isn't available in this match as he's playing for Australia but Brisbane are without a couple of big players in James Hopes and Brendon McCullum. The Heat have signed Roelof van der Merve but it will take a lot more than him to beat this strong Scorchers batting line up. Perhaps there's a bit of a weakness in the Perth bowling attack but the likes of Paul Collingwood and Michael Beer are canny enough. I don't really rate this Brisbane batting line up and if we take away Ryan Harris I'm not overly impressed with their bowling attack either. Throw in home advantage and I think we should have ourselves a Perth win here.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Perth won so I'm up to +17.94 now for the competition. I'll take 2 on Friday. 4pts Melbourne Renegades to beat Sydney Thunder Evs Ladbrokes I'm quite happy to be getting even money on the Renegades here even though they haven't won a match in the tournament yet. Sydney have won both their matches but they have required freakish innings from Gayle and Warner in each of those matches. Dave Warner doesn't play in this match and Chris Gayle, as good as he is, can't keep slogging 6's and winning matches on his own surely. If Gayle were to go cheaply here there isn't a huge amount of batting apart from him in this Thunder side with Warner unavailable. Although they have a competent bowling attack they will need it against this powerful Renegades batting line up. The Renegades hit 188 against Perth last time out which isn't a bad effort at all. Surprisingly their bowling attack let them down on that occasion but on paper it looks too good for that to keep happening and against a much poorer batting line up here I will take my chances that the Renegades side deliver with the ball, keep Gayle quiet and polish off the runs on this small outfield. 5pts 11 or more 6's 6/4 Sportingbet This line looks low to me. You can actually have a 9.5 line at Hills for those wanting to play safe but the difference in price makes me take the risk on the extra 6 here. It's a risk I'm more than prepared to take with the aggressive batsmen on offer here. First of all we must remember the boundaries aren't the biggest at the former Olympic Stadium and clearing the boundaries doesn't take a lot of effort for the likes of Chris Gayle, Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq, Aaron Finch and Andrew McDonald. There are other hitters too in the form of Daniel Smith, Ben Rohrer and Nathan Reardon so the power hitters are all on show to hit enough 6's, both bowling attacks have been relatively leaky and conceded 6's in the tournament and we have the small ground to hit the 6's on. Once again if Chris Gayle does get going this total won't be big enough because he'll cover it himself but there's enough hitting in this match to cover this total even if Gayle falls cheaply.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Renegades won that but the 6's didn't come in so back to +16.94 overall now. Taking one for Wednesday. 4pts Perth Scorchers to beat Melbourne Stars 6/5 Sportingbet I like the look of the Scorchers coming into this match. They've won their last two matches, one of which was without Shaun Marsh who misses this game on international duty so they know they can win without him smashing 99 in matches. Melbourne have only won one match in their three games so far and it was against bottom of the table and winless Brisbane so even the credibility of that win has to be questioned. I really feel the Warne comeback has taken too much focus away from the cricket for the Stars while Perth have just got on with their business even though they have Brad Hogg making his own comeback. Both sides have strong looking batting line up's but for me Perth have the stronger depth in their bowling attack with the likes of Michael Beer being very hard to get away in the competition so far. I always like having the stronger bowling attack in this format of the game so at odds against I'll take the Scorchers to be too hot for the Stars at the MCG.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League The Scorchers won the other day so I'm +21.74 now. Taking one for Monday. 4pts Hobart Hurricanes to beat Melbourne Stars 5/6 Sportingbet It's not my normal game to take a side who lost last time out to beat a side who won last time out at odds on but I think we should look at the two matches in isolation. There were lots of runs scored in Hobart's last match but they got a near 200 run chase down to needing 4 runs from 2 balls which they would normally get but all they succeeded in was a run out and a wicket so that was a bit of a freak loss really. The Stars won their match against Melbourne Renegades last time out but there's nothing to say they were definitely going to win were the match played out in full so there is always that doubt in the back of my mind. One thing which I don't have any doubts over is that Hobart are the better side of these two and they have the better bowling attack. With Birt and Shah in the form they are in I think they can score the runs to lead the Hurricanes to another win in this competition with home advantage on top.

Re: Cricket: KFC Big Bash League Agree with you on this one Kev as I have found myself doing most of the time in this tournament. It's the first 20/20 comp I remember being profitable in, due mainly to the fact the bookies seem to be pricing up games based on 'known' players and prior reputations. Following the Ryobi cup closely has been a great aid in getting a true sense of how stron each team really is. Went against Hobart last time out purely on the basis that they would have to lose sometime, and Brisbane would have to win :lol Used up all my luck on that one though as have been on the wrong side of the two rain affected matches since. Birt has been seeing it like a beachball so far this comp, Shah is going about it in a very quiet underrated fashion and is becoming adept at sticking around whilst keeping the score ticking over. Jaques in is great nick and they have an attack where they are all capable of turning the screw. Havent seen anything from the Stars to warrant a punt on them here, especially not at this price.