** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series

kevshat

After drawing their test series against Australia 1-1 earlier in the summer, South Africa now host Sri Lanka in a 3 match test series which is annoying given that the Australia series was only two. The series begins on Thursday and the whole series is live on Sky so there should be some decent coverage and decent betting potential particularly with the build up to South Africa's tour of England next year slowly beginning. Schedule:

Thu Dec 15 - Mon Dec 19 08:30 GMT | 10:30 local 08:30 GMT 1st Test - South Africa v Sri Lanka SuperSport Park, Centurion 39.png 13 - 27° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gif
Mon Dec 26 - Fri Dec 30 08:00 GMT | 10:00 local 08:00 GMT 2nd Test - South Africa v Sri Lanka Kingsmead, Durban
N/A
Tue Jan 3 - Sat Jan 7 08:30 GMT | 10:30 local 08:30 GMT 3rd Test - South Africa v Sri Lanka Newlands, Cape Town
N/A

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series I fancy South Africa to win the series 2-0. It's priced nicely at 5/2 over at Ladbrokes. Will avoid though and take a few for the 1st Test. Thinking of another one too, may come back with that later. For now: - 3pts Fall of 1st Sri Lanka Wicket: Under 27.5 runs @ 5/6 [Ladbrokes] I've said before so many times how good South Africa are at striking first with their seam bowlers. In their last four matches at Centurion, a wicket has fallen before 20 runs. The pitch has been described as "green as the Pakistani Kit" in the run-up to this match which should help any seam attack. South Africa just happen to have the best seam attack in the world right now with the impressive looking Vernon Philander to back up Steyn and Morkel. Paranavitana and Dilshan had a good knock in the warm-up matches, but I don't see many fun and games for them tomorrow. Wicket early up for me. - 4pts Player Performance: Mahela Jayawardene Under 84 @ 5/6 [bet365] I have not been impressed with Mahela this year in Test Matches. No-one can deny his undoubted ability as a batsmen, I mean, he's one of the best to have ever graced the game, however his record in 2011 is atrocious. In 17 innings, he has scored 427 runs at a horrible average of 25.11. 105 of those runs came in one innings and he has two scores of 51. Take out those three innings and he has scored 220 runs at an average of 15.71. Not the greatest from such an accomplished batsman at all. I genuinely think that Sri Lanka will struggle here in Centurion with such a zingy pitch expected. Steyn and Morkel will be raring to go and I think there will be early wickets as explained above. Jayawardene has played here twice before and scored 40 performance points and 84 performance points, I think unders will strike three times.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series -10pts South Africa to beat Sri Lanka in 1st test- -4/9 with Ladbrokes- Max bet here for me on South Africa. Only thing that stops them winning this game for my money is the weather, and that doesn't look too bad judging by the forecasts. You have to go back further than 10 years for the last time SA lost a test at the Centurion. Since then they have won 9 and drawn 2 (1 of which they should also have won). Sri Lanka havent played a test match in SA for 9 years, and their preparation going into this one has also been limited. Bad weather and having to bat second meant that they didn't get much batting time in the warm up game. Last thing you need here is to be unfamiliar with the conditions or caught cold, which SL may well be. Question marks over the batting lineup, a weak bowling attack, a green pitch, and weather forecast not too bad. All lines up to an SA win for me. -4pts Steyn to be Top SA Bowler- -11/5 with Stan James- Can't ignore Steyn in this market considering his record here. He has played 4 matches and taken 25 wickets at the Centurion. Of them 4 matches he was top SA wickettaker in 2 of them. In fact take out 1 of the games against Bangladesh (he only took 1 wicket), and he has 24 wickets in 3 games with hauls of 7, 10, and 7 respectively. The only one of them games where he didn't take the most wickets for SA, Ntini took 10 across the 2 innings when Steyn took 7 back in 2005. Bottom line though is that it is clear to see that Steyn likes to bowl here. On a green pitch I'm more than happy to take a relatively big stake on the world's best test quick to take most wickets for his side once again. -1pt Steyn to be man of the match- -10/1 with Stan James- Explanation as above really. If the above bet lands then he will be a live shout for motm as well.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series With you Tyler, I think SA will win to nil but their record of not having won a home series since 2008 can't be ignored completely and it makes the prices on all the SA win markets too short for me. I'll just begin with three in the opening test match. 5pts D.Steyn's Performance Pts - 122&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. If there's a better bowler than Dale Steyn in the world of cricket right now I don't think he's caught my attention. Steyn is in exceptional form at the minute and has been for the last 12-18 months. In fairness South Africa have managed him well and he's more than delivering for them. He's covered this total in his last 6 test matches and in three of the four here in Centurion. The one match he didn't cover it in was against Bangladesh where you don't tend to get two spells in an innings against them. This wicket should suit Steyn perfectly. All the talk is that it is very green and you wouldn't expect anything different against a batting heavy side like Sri Lanka who have been known to have issues against the moving ball. Steyn could easily cover this with the ball but he's a decent lower order slogger with the bat too which could wipe out as much as 22 of the required points here but whether he needs 5 or 6 wickets I expect this to be a line which Steyn covers over the 5 days. 3pts Both teams to bat on Day 1 9/4 Sportingbet 75 overs must be bowled else this is void. I'm quite happy to have a small punt on both teams batting on the opening day. The wicket is said to be very green which will assist the bowlers and South Africa in particular have a very strong bowling attack which I believe is capable of getting Sri Lanka out inside the scheduled 90 overs. We saw against Australia what their attack can do on a helpful track and we also saw the problems their batting line up had. Normally Centurion is good to bat on but I sense this one won't be, particularly with the movement in the air that you get under cloudy skies which are forecast on the opening day. I sense the bookies haven't picked up on the state of the wicket hence this price and it's a price which I feel is well worth a value bet considering India were skittled for just 136 in 38.4 overs here last year on the opening day. 1pt ew T.Perera Top Sri Lanka Batsman (1st Inns Only) 33/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1,2,3) Thissara Perera looks a fairly big price to me here. Given the state of the wicket I would expect him to play as his seamers will be more than helpful but we saw in England that this Sri Lankan batting line up can have a deck of cards effect on green tracks. With Mahela Jayawardene massively out of form and Dilshan not in much better nick in his last couple of series someone will have the chance to go well at a big price in this line up. Factor in that Kumar Sangakkara is playing with a split webbing in his right hand and that chance is even stronger. At 33/1 there's no reason why a few slogs from Perera can't land the spoils in the same way Harbhajan did against SA last year. If the top order fall like dominoes then Perera even has a chance of top scoring. We've seen in the one day format of the game that he can clobber a decent ball so at 33/1 I'll pay to see how much clobbering he does this week.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series I cant disagree with anything thats been said here, there is nothing that points to anything but an SA train here. Despite that I have had to oppose them for this first test and layed @ 1.48 over at the evil empire. That was last night and the price is still being smashed down, currently about 1.44 or so I think. The Lankans havent been in the greatest nick as we know. The batting is out of shapes and the bowling inexperienced but no one can deny there is quality and ability in that team in buckets. I wanted to back SA heavily during this series but really didnt expect them to be so skinny. Because of that my 'feeling of impending doom coupon buster' alarm started ringing loudly. :rollin Apart from Dilshan and Sanga claiming to thrive on green pitches, there really seems to be very little on paper poiting towards a SL upset. Definitely going with gut on this one.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series

thanks a lot friend but it seems i'm too stupid for cricket :)) can you write result of steyn?
Firstly, making sure you understand what you are betting on should be the first thing you do before even thinking about placing a bet. With that view out of the way, i will do my best to explain using this link instead: http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-sri-lanka-2011/engine/current/match/514032.html Click 'Full Scorecard' at the top. Now, in the section headed 'Sri Lanka 1st Innings' under the 'Bowling' part look for Steyn. The go across to the W column and multiply that number by 20 to get the first innings bowling points for him. Also, see if his name is listed next to the Sri Lanka batsmen with a 'c' beside it instead of a 'b'. If so, this means he has caught one so multiply the amount of catches by 10. Then, goto 'South Africa 1st innings' and find his name again. Goto the runs column ® and multiply that by 1 and that will give his runs points up until he is out. This match can last for 5 days as both teams can bat and bowl twice so repeat the same again but for both teams 2nd innings. Then, add the numbers together and see what the total is. That will give you his total points.

WIN - 3pts Fall of 1st Sri Lanka Wicket: Under 27.5 runs @ 5/6 [Ladbrokes] WIN - 4pts Player Performance: Mahela Jayawardene Under 84 @ 5/6 [bet365]
Last week made me doubt myself, the "other" bet I spoke of was SA taking a -100.5 first innings lead which would've made this 3/3. On a normal week I definitely would've gone with larger stakes too which is quite annoying. Minor though, +5.82 for the Test with Jayawardene never really getting close to his target and Dilshan fxcking up early doors in the 1st innings.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series Two for me in Durban: - 5pts Fall of 1st Sri Lankan Wicket: Under 26.5 Runs @ 5/6 Ladbrokes This came in for me in the last match and also came in comfortably in the 2nd innings too. I have written several times how good South Africa are at striking early on this forum and I expect them to do so again at Durban. The pitch usually has alot of nip around early on and that will be perfect for Dale Steyn and the really fired up Vernon Philander. This line has caved to Under 21.5 in other places which shows the faith the bookies have in the Sri Lankan opening two. Unders here for sure. - 4pts Player Performance: Graeme Smith Under 89 @ 5/6 [bet365] Graeme Smith's record here at Durban doesn't speak volumes for him. He has played here ten times in his history as the South African opener and he only averages 33.00. Only twice in ten tests here has he reached 90 points. In seventeen innings, he only has three scores over 50 and with the early nip expected tomorrow, I wouldn't bet on a big score in the 1st innings from the skipper. There isn't a massive potency from the Sri Lankan attack, but if South Africa bat first, I'm sure Welegedera can get some decent shape early up to cause a few problems. Unders again.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series Two for me as well. 4pts D.Steyn's Performance Pts - 122&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Dale Steyn took 6 wickets in the first test but annoying failed to cover this line by 2pts having been run out for 0 in his only innings. I'm prepared to try him again here on the same line though. Steyn took 8 wickets against a far stronger Indian bowling attack here last year and the conditions should suit him well again here with the wicket expected to be a bit green and the overhead conditions hugely conducive to swinging the ball which is Steyn's forte. With Vernon Philander's fitness touch and go Steyn looks like being the main danger in this match so with that in mind I'll take him to cover this line in the belief he can find an extra 2pts from Centurion. 0.5pts ew R.Herath Top Sri Lanka Batsman (1st Inns Only) 66/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1,2,3) This Sri Lanka batting line up showed in Centurion that it's nowhere near good enough in these conditions. Their effort was summed up by the dismissal of their captain on the opening morning which was one of the more ridiculous test dismissals you'll ever see. There's talk that Dinesh Chandimal could make his debut here which will strengthen their batting line up but there's also talk of Perera making way for a better bowler which moved Herath up to number 8. We saw in England earlier in the year that he can bat when he saved the Rose Bowl test with Sangakkara. He can play that type of innings or if it's gone completely tits up above him he can play the slog innings too to good effect as we saw in Centurion when some late order slogging in the second innings saw him come 2nd. Having come 2nd in that innings this 66/1 has to be too big and like Siddle in Australia I'll pay to see how we go here too.

LOSS - 5pts Fall of 1st Sri Lankan Wicket: Under 26.5 Runs @ 5/6 Ladbrokes WIN - 4pts Player Performance: Graeme Smith Under 89 @ 5/6 [bet365]
Happy I didn't take the Outright on SA winning to nil. Three for me in Cape Town. +4.82 for the series. - 4pts Fall of First Sri Lanka Wicket: Under 29.5 @ 5/6 [bluesq] This has come in three of the four Sri Lankan innings so far this series. I was on in the 1st Test Match, but annoyingly I was also on in the only innings in which it was a loser, at a higher stake. I see no reason in giving up now though, I expect the SL openers to get it in the neck early tomorrow from Steyn and Philander. I guess it's slightly harsh on Marchant de Lange when you get dropped after taking 7-for on your debut, but such is the quality of the South African pace attack right now. Early wicket for me at a venue which is conducive to pace bowling. - 4pts Batsman Matchbet: Jacques Kallis -0.5 vs. Mahela Jayawardene @ 17/20 [sportingbet] Jacques Kallis' record here is disgusting. He has scored 1874 runs at Cape Town with an average of 72. Those runs include eight centuries and eight fifties. There have been four centuries, a fifty and a score of 46 in his last 10 innings at this ground. Crazy numebers from who I feel is the best all-round cricketer ever. Mahela Jayawardene as I've already said in this thread isn't in the best of form. He has not got above 31 in his four innings so far on the sub continent and I don't really expect that to change any time soon. Kallis' got duck here incidentally against Australia in November, he also isn't in the greatest of form either. If there's any venue where that will change though, Cape Town is where it's at. - 6pts Player Performance: Dale Steyn Over 127 @ 5/6 [bet365] If you touch overs in every player performance for Dale Steyn in South Africa, you'll probably snag a winner 4 out of 5 times. He's ridiculously good. Listen to this though, he has taken at least SIX wickets in each of the last SIX tests he's played here. That includes Seven in '09 and Eight in '08. He loves it here and with the recent form he has been in with the bat, I can only see overs again. To be fair, me getting on this is the perfect recipe for the trend to stop and for Dale to not even get two wickets, but I'll play in the strong hope that it doesn't. The curator has suggested there should be some nice action for the quicks on the 1st day. If SL bat first, I expect Steyn and co to have a field day and snag a few early wickets. Even if Steyn has a mare in the 1st Innings like he did in Durban last week, dude can come back and take a five-for like it's nothing and chip in with 72 runs to boot. Overs for me.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series Literally just went to Bluesq to put on the above bet and I saw another that is too good to let go: - 2pts Player to Take 4 Wickets in 1st Innings Tomorrow: Dale Steyn @ 7/1 [bluesq] Won't need much more explanation than that's already been given. I spoke about Steyn's record here in the previous post, but to back that up, Steyn has taken at least four wickets in the 1st Innings at Cape Town consecutively for the last six times here. Six times consecutively. Again it's another opportunity for the trend to stop but 7/1 for him to replicate that feat here again is too good to pass up.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series Gonna take 3 bets in today's test match. The 4 wickets or more in the 1st Innings bets are mainly due to Tyler highlighting the bet's potential given the great bowlers on display. :ok 5pts DW.Steyn's Player Performance Pts - 127&Over @ 1.83 bet365 Steyn has gotten a total of 6 wickets and a total of 5 wickets in the 1st and 2nd test matches respectively. He also scored a total of 72 runs via the bat in the second test match. In both test matches this line has been covered with relative ease and I see no reason why it should be any different in this 3rd test match as he has proven he is competent with both the ball and the bat in this test series. 2pts To take 4 or more wickets in the 1st Innings - D.Steyn @ 8.00 Bluesq There are two main bowlers I see potentially getting 4 wickets in the 1st Innings and they are D.Steyn and V.Philander. As I have mentioned before, D.Steyn got a total of 6 and 5 wickets in the 1st and 2nd test match respectively and in both test matches he had a minimum of 4 wickets in either the 1st or 2nd Innings. In my eyes I feel it is worth the gamble to see if he can do so tomorrow. 2pts To take 4 or more wickets in the 1st Innings - V.Philander @ 10.00 Bluesq V.Philander is the other person I fancy who can potentially win this bet. He did not play in the 2nd Test match unfortunately but will be returning to play in today's test match. In the 1st test match, V.Philander was very impressive with his bowling where he got a total of 10 wickets, 5 in each innings. His accurate swing bowling will be a constant threat for the Sri Lankan side as we have already witnessed in the 1st test match.

Re: Cricket: South Africa vs Sri Lanka Test Series +1.08 for the series so far for me. Going with 4 for the decider. Think we've all clocked onto Steyn's success here. 4pts D.Steyn's Performance Pts - 127&Over 4/5 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I don't really need to elaborate too much on what the two guys before me have said here. Dale Steyn has a phenomenal record on this ground and he comes into this match having contributed solidly with bat and ball in the last match. He could easily cover this with the ball alone but the fact that he was played into form with the bat last week does us no harm at all and with catching potential in play should the Sri Lankans open up a bit which they may need to do if they start struggling then I just think there's more than enough scoring potential for Steyn to cover 127pts. 4pts R.Herath's Performance Pts - 101&Over 5/6 Bet365 2pts R.Herath Top Sri Lanka Bowler (1st Inns Only) 7/2 Victor Chandler Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Rangana Herath has looked really good in this series even on wickets which probably haven't totally suited him. He took 9 wickets at Durban in the last match and I feel this wicket will suit him a bit more. Graeme Smith said this wicket was quite dry which will have been music to Herath's ears. Herath will bowl a lot of overs in this match which will give his performance and his top bowler chances every chance of coming in. Aside from Welegedera there still isn't too much in this Sri Lankan bowling attack. What I like most here though is I'd say other than AB de Villiers none of this South African batting line up play spin particularly well so there will be lots of wicket taking potential for the left arm spinner. If he doesn't cover his target with the ball he can bat too but I think he'll cover this with the ball and wouldn't be surprised were he to lead the wicket taking first time around. 3pts T.Paranavitana's 1st Inns Runs - Under 25.5 5/6 Ladbrokes Tharanga Paranavitana has struggled in the main in this series and with Vernon Philander back in the South African side for this match I see no reason why the Sri Lankan opener is going to suddenly come back to form. He looks all at sea against the swinging ball and he's a sitting duck for an lbw to the one which comes back into him. I feel he might be better off if Dilshan wasn't opening with him because while Dilshan is bashing it everywhere he's scratching around and thinking why can't I get runs like Dilshan. Paranavitana covered this total in the first innings of the series but he hasn't in the three since then and I'll take the trend of unders to continue first time around here in Cape Town.

Gonna take 3 bets in today's test match. The 4 wickets or more in the 1st Innings bets are mainly due to Tyler highlighting the bet's potential given the great bowlers on display. :ok 5pts DW.Steyn's Player Performance Pts - 127&Over @ 1.83 bet365 Steyn has gotten a total of 6 wickets and a total of 5 wickets in the 1st and 2nd test matches respectively. He also scored a total of 72 runs via the bat in the second test match. In both test matches this line has been covered with relative ease and I see no reason why it should be any different in this 3rd test match as he has proven he is competent with both the ball and the bat in this test series. 2pts To take 4 or more wickets in the 1st Innings - D.Steyn @ 8.00 Bluesq There are two main bowlers I see potentially getting 4 wickets in the 1st Innings and they are D.Steyn and V.Philander. As I have mentioned before, D.Steyn got a total of 6 and 5 wickets in the 1st and 2nd test match respectively and in both test matches he had a minimum of 4 wickets in either the 1st or 2nd Innings. In my eyes I feel it is worth the gamble to see if he can do so tomorrow. 2pts To take 4 or more wickets in the 1st Innings - V.Philander @ 10.00 Bluesq V.Philander is the other person I fancy who can potentially win this bet. He did not play in the 2nd Test match unfortunately but will be returning to play in today's test match. In the 1st test match, V.Philander was very impressive with his bowling where he got a total of 10 wickets, 5 in each innings. His accurate swing bowling will be a constant threat for the Sri Lankan side as we have already witnessed in the 1st test match.
3 Wickets for Philander and Steyn :wall Really Unlucky to you and Tyler... especially Silzorn though.... Philander took his 3rd wicket with his last ball and was replaced by Morkel, so never had a chance!

3 Wickets for Philander and Steyn :wall Really Unlucky to you and Tyler... especially Silzorn though.... Philander took his 3rd wicket with his last ball and was replaced by Morkel, so never had a chance!
Ugh, got so close. -9pts from that session.