BBOTD Saturday 3rd December

cpo

2.10 Aintree Another Palm 1 pt win @ 8/1 William Hill I like the look of this Irish raider who has shown in his last 2 starts over fences that he has plenty of stamina and should be well suited to this test. He is only a lightly raced 6 year old, but his form seems to have taken off, since stepping up in trip. He hadn’t shown much form until stepping up to 2m 6f at Fairyhouse earlier in the year where he won a decent enough handicap. He then improved on that, with a cracking effort in a very competitive handicap chase at Punchestown over 3m 6f, where he finished just 3 lengths behind the talented horse Uncle Junior. That day he beat plenty of very good chasers and probably showed to his trainer that he may one day be a strong Grand National contender. After that run, he had a short break and returned to the track over hurdles before running another cracking race last time out at Cork to just get out battled by The Bishop Looney by under a length. He travelled extremely well throughout the whole race that day and jumped well. The drop in trip to 3m 2f should not be a problem but obviously these fences will prove and totally different proposition to anything he has faced before. Looking at previous trends for the race, only 1 horse under the age of 8 has managed to win this race in the last 10 years and that horse went on to win the National. Another Palm is only a 6 year old and although they haven’t got a good record in the race in recent years, there have only 4 runners of which 1 were placed. Trainers tend to keep younger horses away from the National fences as you need a horse with plenty of experience. Irish trainers have a good record in the race, having won 3 out of the last 6 renewals. They look to have a strong chance of taking it this year as well and I do think Noel Meade’s horse has the best claims. The ground tomorrow looks as though it is going to be at least soft with the chance of more rain. There are plenty of horses who will either not be suited by the going, or won’t get the trip because of the ground. I don’t think the ground will pose a problem for my selection, as he has won on heavy ground in the past and like most Irish horses, he is used to running on soft-heavy conditions. The trip will not pose a problem as he is already proven over marathon trips, having gone close over 3m 6f. Noel Meade is in good form at the moment and this horse should be spot on for this. The biggest cause for concern is his lack of experience but I don’t think they would be sending this horse over if they didn’t think he could cope with it. He jumps very well and it will be interesting to see how he is ridden tomorrow. The ultra cool Paul Carberry rides him tomorrow and he is usually noted for his hold up style. However he rode this horse up with the pace last time out and I think this is how he will be ridden tomorrow given that Aintree suits horses that race up near the front. This way you can stay out of trouble! The main dangers look to be the likes of Always Waining, Niche Market and Rare Bob. I can’t see Hello Bud winning it again as I don’t think any horse has ever followed up in this race. Niche Market goes for Paul Nicholls who has a great record in the race. Rare Bob is pretty classy in his day and is probably the main danger and Always Waining must be feared given his record at the track. There are slight stamina doubts with that one though. I hope Another Palm is the one to be with in this race as he looks to be a staying-chaser improving with every run. Age is against him in this race but he gets in the race off a very low weight and that could prove crucial given the conditions. He looks to have a favourite’s chance and should go very close with a clear round... Easier said than done!

Re: BBOTD Saturday 3rd December Jockey B.Powel is riding well these days so i will take a chance on his mount in Race 2' on the card at Sandown Park. The 8yr old gelding was 4th last time out under 11-9 but he has a much better weight today off 10-4 He's ran well before at Sandown coming home 3rd and 2nd, he's been off the track for 3 weeks and should come into today's race with a live chance of some take home pay. Sandown Park 13:25- Warne's Way. 0.5 e/w bet 25/1 Paddy Power. Hope your weekend has some luck in it.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.