** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series

kevshat

Australia begin a pretty hectic international summer with a two test match test series against New Zealand which begins Wednesday night/Thursday morning UK time. As with all Australia home matches they are both live on Sky and the two teams usually provide a decent series. With both sides having other tests in the near future it should present us with a decent clue going forward and a chance for some dosh over the next couple of weeks. Schedule:

Thu Dec 1 - Mon Dec 5 00:00 GMT | 10:00 local 00:00 GMT 1st Test - Australia v New Zealand Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane 38.png 20 - 27° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gif
Fri Dec 9 - Tue Dec 13 23:30 GMT (prev day) | 10:30 local 23:30 GMT -1d 2nd Test - Australia v New Zealand Bellerive Oval, Hobart
N/A

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series Chris Martin 80&over performance points @ Bet365 It’s simple here, get 4 wickets and the bet is a winner. I think Martin does just that in a match which will likely suit faster bowlers. I have heard that scores have been fairly low at this venue so far in the Austrian summer and that the wicket will be juicy, this will suit Martin. The Auzzie batting to me looks fragile, certainly nowhere near as good as it used to be or is even capable of being now at full strength. There will be wickets on offer and I think the opener can get four of them throughout the match. He doesn’t take many catches, so I’m not banking on any points there. He’s possibly the worst batsman in test cricket too, so for him to even trouble the scores in that department would be a shock. He can take wickets though so I’m happy to be on the overs here. Ricky Ponting under 92 performance points @ Bet365 Ponting has actually gone under this line in 18 of his last 20 teats matches and is a man under a lot of pressure. Its obvious he isn’t as good as he once was and although sometimes in the past has proved people wrong when his back is against the wall, I’m happy to take him on here. Indications are that this wont be a batsman’s paradise, so the wicket might be hard to get runs on for him. The NZ bowling attack isn’t anything special but they have a couple of weapons who could give him problems. All in all, until he can really prove his form then I think it’s a good idea to be taking his unders.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series Two for me ahead of tomorrow and I'm on the save wavelength of you Meatman: - 6pts Player Performance: T Southee 90&Over @ 5/6 [bet365] The talk coming out of the Woollongabba ahead of tomorrow is the fact that it should have some nice assistant for the seamers. This should play right into Tim Southee's hands here who has a fairly decent record here in Brisbane. Unlike Martin, Southee is actually decent the bat. I am pretty confident he can knock off the ten runs required to make this a four wicket line and with that I think overs will be seen. When he came here in 2008, he left with match figures of 5/125 and scored a handy 12 runs. I see something similar here and I think he and Chris Martin can ruffle some early feathers in the process. - 5pts Batsman Runs: Phillip Hughes Under 32.5 @ 5/6 [skybet] This seems to be a staple bet with every Test Match this dude plays. Having said that though, it's a common bet or a reason. I took a look at Hughes Test record in Australia and I discovered that Phil Hughes has never scored more than 31 when batting in the 1st Innings of any Test Match he has played in Australia. Ever. Infact his highest score in any innings in Australia is 37. For some reason, he doesn't fancy his own country a great deal and I think he'll have some early problems from Southee and Martin on a pitch which should offer some spice. His technique is patchy to say the least and he'll have a wobbly David Warner at the other end who will be in bits making his Test Debut. Unders for me.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series I don't normally do outrights in a two match series but a couple of prices have stood out to me here. 3pts New Zealand/Draw Series Double Chance 9/4 William Hill I think the price here is very nice. If New Zealand win either test match then this bet will be a winner but two draws will do the job as well. If this was a full strength Australia side then this price probably wouldn't look as tasty as it does but when you think they are missing Watson, Marsh, Johnson, Harris and Cummins not to mention a couple of other fringe players then New Zealand are definitely in this series. The Kiwis may have a couple of young bowlers in their ranks but they have a solid top 7 and against an inexperienced Australian attack I very much think the Kiwis are in with a chance in this series. I certainly see them being competitive in the series so I expect a decent run with this 9/4 shot. 2pts M.Hussey Top Australia Series Batsman 9/2 Boylesports Michael Hussey looks a decent price here because there are only two players in this Australian batting line up that I would say are in the form capable of top scoring here and that is Michael Clarke and Michael Hussey but with Clarke captain in front of his own men with the pressures of the Aussie media and things I think Hussey could be more relaxed and let his batting do the talking. We all saw how well Hussey played at the Gabba last year and he's averaging over a ton at Hobart which is the second venue for this series so both grounds are nice to him and I think 9/2 looks a big price on Mr Cricket top scoring for the Aussies in this series.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series 5 for me in the opening test although 2 of them are basically in one. 4pts P.Hughes 1st Inns Runs - Under 32.5 5/6 Skybet This line looks way too high. The matches that have been played on this ground in the Sheffield Shield this season suggest that Brisbane isn't an easy wicket to bat on and the talk come out of Brisbane is that the wicket will be green and juicy so facing the new ball won't be too easy. Tim Southee and Chris Martin are good experienced bowlers at this level and will enjoy the conditions and take advantage of the conditions. When Phil Hughes scored runs in South Africa a lot of them came off his pads but I'm not so sure he'll get as many balls on his pads because he will open with Dave Warner who is also a left hander so the bowlers should be able to get their lines easier and stick to them. I've banged on and on about how Hughes' technique is awful and if the wicket is a green top then I would expect the Kiwis to snaffle him before he makes it to 33. 4pts B.McCullum (+0.5 runs) to beat P.Hughes (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes I've covered Hughes above so I won't touch him again but Brendon McCullum has played at the Gabba before and will know what to expect. He comes into this match after walloping the Aussie A attack for 146 in the warm up match and that attack had at least one of the bowlers he'll face in this match if not two or three. He's in good form and his aggressive style while giving bowlers chances will mean he will score quickly while he's at the crease. He doesn't keep wicket in test matches anymore so he can crack on and concentrate on his batting and by doing that I fully expect him to outscore Phil Hughes at the first time of asking. 4pts T.Southee's Performance Pts - 90&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket I like Tim Southee and I think he'll like these conditions. As Tyler mentioned earlier he took 5 wickets on his debut last time he played here and he's grown as a bowler since then and he's a capable enough batsman too. Certainly capable enough to suggest that he can grab us 10pts with the bat if not more so I think we will only need 4 wickets from him in this match and with 4-5 of the Australian top 7 out of touch with the bat I expect him to get those wickets particularly on a wicket which will help the seamers. Although you wouldn't expect catches from him the Aussies do like a hook so it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for him to get a catch out on the boundary but with bat and ball there should be enough for Southee to cover 90pts. 3pts D.Vettori's Performance Pts - Under 120 5/6 Bet365 Unless Daniel Vettori does something remarkable with the bat in this match then I would expect this line to go untouched. All the matches on this ground this season would suggest that it won't be easy for the spinners to take wickets here or at least most of them will fall to the seamers. Most of the wickets on this ground do tend to fall to the seamers and I think we might see a fair bit of Dean Brownlie's medium pace in this match to lessen the overs Vettori would bowl. There's no guarantees that with the rains around that Vettori will bat twice and even if he does the chances are he's going to need to get at least 60 with the bat here if not more. Graeme Swann bowled 43 overs in the Brisbane test last year for only two wickets and I suspect something similar could happen with Vettori. I'm happy that this line is 20 or so points too high. 2pts C.Martin Top New Zealand Bowler (1st Inns Only) 9/1 Blue Square No idea what this price is about given that Chris Martin is a new ball bowler and in conditions where the new ball will get a lot of assistance off the wicket I think the price is even more ridiculous. While I think Tim Southee would rate as a major danger I still don't think Martin should be 9/1 so as long as doesn't injure himself or something then I would expect the veteran pace man to go very close to top scoring in the first innings here and at 9/1 I've got to play here.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series I no nothing about cricket, I bet on Australia to win the 1st test. When does a test end? And does Australia have a good chance of winning? Last I saw last night the draw odds were coming down quite a lot. Thanks for any help!

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series No dont try to cover! There would be no point anyway as the odds have only come in by like 30c for Aus to win. Australia will win this test easily anyway. Should take a lead of 100+ in the first innings and then bowl NZ out for not many

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series To win you have to take 20 wickets and score more runs than your opposition within 5 days... So basically you get a draw if neither team is bowled out twice within 5 days or one team is bowled out twice but the other team doesn't surpass their set target after two innings within the 5 days. Clear as mud!

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series Although it looked a mistake of a price Blue Square paid out the Martin bet at 9/1 so with the two Hughes bets also winning that was a very successful first test for me. +17.68 overall. Well done to all with winners in the opening test. Second test begins on Friday (Thursday night UK time).

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series It looks like being a wet start to the test and Hobart pitches dont fall away on the 4th and 5th day so unless wickets are taken early when the pitch has some green in it i doubt we will see 20 wickets fall

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series Chris Martin performance 81 & over @ Bet365 Martin didn’t let me down in the first test, although needed a late wicket in the 2nd short Aux innings. If he can bowl 2 innings at the Australians then I think he will pick up at least 4 or 5 wickets in this one. it’s a clever line by bet365 because the extra 1 is only always going to be easy to obtain with Martin. It is only one run though and if he bats a couple of innings then hopefully he could sneak one somewhere. This should be a bowling pitch and help assist him to perform well. Tim Southee performance 97 & over @ Bet365 Tim Southee is usually good to score at least 20 runs with the bat in a test match if he bats twice. This is pretty helpful and I think to cover this performance just 4 wickets might be needed. He didn’t look at his best in the first test, but now with some match fitness under his belt he might be better here. If the ball swings and the pitch is bowler friendly as expected, then he should go well here and hopefully get at least 4 wickets.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series :welcome to PL Disney. I think we'll see 20 wickets go because the Aussie batting line up minus Clarke looks a bit of a shambles and the Kiwis think it's a T20 judging by their first test efforts. I'm hitting 4 in this second test. 4pts New Zealand Highest Opening Partnership (1st Inns Only) 11/10 Bet365 I like New Zealand at odds against here. I've said enough about Phil Hughes over the last 12 months and Dave Warner hasn't played much test cricket and also looks like he could nick off outside his off stump. Brendan McCullum is very aggressive at the top of the order but he has been really selective in which balls to attack recently and he only really looked in trouble when he was trying to see out the day's play in the second innings of the last test. In the first innings when he was playing his normal game he was flying and I expect that to happen here. Martin Guptill is a good player who doesn't go too often without a score so I think the Kiwis have the more solid partnership at the top of the order and at odds against I'll take them to have the highest opening partnership first time around. 4pts P.Hughes 1st Inns Runs - Under 30.5 5/6 Ladbrokes Don't need to say anything here. Covered it way too many times in the past. He's still a constant nicker outside off stump and 30.5 is way too high particularly if the wicket remains a green top as has been described. 3pts R.Ponting's Performance Pts - Under 90 Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Ricky Ponting has a really good record on this ground but the commentators were making a real big thing of Ponting's time without a ton in the first test and like Sachin's wait for his 100th ton the talk around Ponting's next one seems to be a millstone around his neck. He scored well enough to trouble this total in the first test but he looked awfully shaky early on and a couple of lbw decisions could easily have seen him on his way. I think he's going to need two solid innings to cover this with the bat but I fancy he may be out cheaply in at least one of them. He always has the potential for catches but not enough of a potential for me to really bring that into the equation. He may get a couple but no more and the fact he doesn't field at slip to Nathan Lyon helps. He isn't going to bowl so one low score in either innings should mean he doesn't come near 90pts in this match. 1pt ew D.Vettori Top New Zealand Batsman (1st Inns Only) 10/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Been a while since I backed my trusty New Zealand favourite top bat so it's time to get with him again. I think the price is a cracking price because other than Dean Brownlie, Vettori looked like the only one who knew how to bat in a test match in the first test. He stupidly ran himself out in the first innings but he was long since safe with the top score by then. Admittedly this is a decent Kiwi batting line up who are all capable of big scores but Vettori's record with the bat in test cricket over the last 5 years stands the test of time with most top level batsmen around the world let alone in this New Zealand side and if the wicket does a bit with the new ball New Zealand may need another rearguard action from their former captain. However the first innings plays out after what we've seen from Vettori in the past and what we saw in the first test 10/1 is excellent value on Vettori and well worth an each way punt.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series Very late here, thought this started at Midnight. Only went with one though and that happened to be Unders on Phillip Hughes in the 1st Innings with Ladbrokes. As Kev said, no explanation needed. Came in before, should come in again.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand Test Series With New Zealand bringing in the double chance for that series and all 3 2nd test bets winning I ended the series +33.17pts which is the best two test series I've had I think. Thankfully that was just the warm up for the Australia/India series where hopefully we can all make a load more dosh. Hopefully at the Aussies expense :lol.