** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11

Mirage

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 Yeah, good picks Aidy and thusprider :clap Although not brilliant from a match betting point of view (Dott/Robertson aside, still playing), I don't think Kev or Mirage would be too upset from an outright perspective that O'Sullivan and Higgins (5-1 down!) are/might be, out!

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11

Good call on Maguire' date=' Aidy. An awful day for me, hopefully the Robertson - Dott match gives Kev a winner to round off the day ;)[/quote'] The best of buds are playing again, and Higgins puts in a complete stinker, possibly the worst performance i have ever seen him play! Makes you wonder :\

The best of buds are playing again' date=' and Higgins puts in a complete stinker, possibly the worst performance i have ever seen him play! Makes you wonder :\[/quote'] Wouldn't put it past Higgins to come back and make this close though !

Yeah, good picks Aidy and thusprider :clap Although not brilliant from a match betting point of view (Dott/Robertson aside, still playing), I don't think Kev or Mirage would be too upset from an outright perspective that O'Sullivan and Higgins (5-1 down!) are/might be, out!
Yes and no from my point of view. I'm on Higgins for the outright so there is another 2 points lost tonight but both him and Ronnie being out helps the Ding bet, for sure. Here's hoping for a better day all round tomorrow. :hope

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 -8.5 points for me overall now that Higgins has been knocked out. Still, i'm confident i can claw that back and hopefully Williams will go another step closer to bringing in the quarter bet today. 3 for today..... Wednesday: Shaun Murphy vs Martin Gould 2.5/5pts Over 9.5 frames - Evens with Skybet I think this is a nice price for a match involving two closely matched players. Martin Gould is, along with Stuart Bingham, one of the most improved players on the circuit over the last couple of years. He has a good, aggressive style of play that is easy to watch and he doesn't seem to be fearing anyone he comes up against. He won Power Snooker before coming here so will have boosted confidence in being able cause problems for everyone he plays against. He is good when in amongst the balls so will win his far share of frames today. Murphy, like Gould, had a nice first round draw and after seeing some big names beaten will fancy his chances of going well this week. In that first round he was tested and had to knock in some decent breaks to see off a plucky challenger so will be better for that. He has won a tournament so far this year and, although not having the best of years overall, he is still a strong challenger to all players when in and around that black spot. I was tempted by taking Gould outright for this match but i kept thinking that this will be tight, so when i saw this price for a 6-4 or closer scoreline i had to take it. Wednesday: Mark Selby vs Marco Fu 2/5pts M. Selby (-2.5 frames) to beat M. Fu - 10/11 with William Hill Mark Selby was superb in his opening round to see off Ryan Day 6-0. Breaks of 86, 111, 90 and 69 in that opening round show that he has come into this tournament in top form. Being in the 'easier half' he will have seen this as a great chance to win his biggest title to date, and now with Higgins and O'Sullivan out he will see it as an even better opportunity. He has won 3 tournaments so far this year so confidence will be high. In complete contrast to Selby, Fu has been out of sorts for some time now and has drifted out of the top 16 without much of a fight. I think his win over Bingham surprised everyone as it was the first time he has raised his game for a big event in a while but i don't think he will get close to the world number one here. When at his best he can cause problems for most but he has been nowhere near that for a while now so confidence must still be low despite that first round win. Fu has no sort of form to give him any real chance in this match whilst Selby has played good snooker for most of the season. I would have this as maybe a 3 point stake but there have been a lot of close matches so far this week and that is enough to reduce it a little. Still, i see the Jester having no problems here. Wednesday: Ali Carter vs Mark Allen 2/5pts A. Carter to beat M. Allen - 6/5 with William Hill I think this should be closer to Evens so i'm more than happy to snap it up. Mark Allen has had an interesting week. He has publicly cricitised the way Barry Hearn is running the sport and has landed himself into a bit of trouble because he now has a disciplinary hearing to think about. He is being criticised by some current and former players for speaking out - a bit harsh in my opinion - so has hardly had the ideal preparation coming into this second round clash. I watched him in his first round match against Adrian Gunnell and although he showed flashes of his best, a better player would have punished him. He gave Gunnell a lot of opportunities and if he does that again today he will be in even more trouble. Ali Carter was far from impressive himself against Robert Milkins. It was a tight affair and he didn't look as fluent as he usually does when getting chances to score big points. However, i am leaning towards him here because he is coming into this with a lot less on his mind than his opponent. When both are playing well this is a tight match-up so the slightest edge could be vital. With all eyes on the Norther Irishman it takes all of the pressure away from Carter pre-match. Both of these players haven't been too great over the last 18 montsh for different reasons, but i will take Carter to take the win here at a nice price.

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 Ricky Walden +1.5 frames vs Mark Williams 11/10 bet365 Actually thought Williams looked poor despite winning against joe jogia, gave joe plently of chances, as walden showed against lee he's more than ready to jump all over Williams if he's not at his best. Just hope now Williams has another off day now.:ok

Ricky Walden +1.5 frames vs Mark Williams 11/10 bet365 Actually thought Williams looked poor despite winning against joe jogia, gave joe plently of chances, as walden showed against lee he's more than ready to jump all over Williams if he's not at his best. Just hope now Williams has another off day now.:ok
Well done mate :clap Williams going out means my quarter bet on him is a loser. This tournament is full of surprises, exciting stuff to watch but not when punting. :p

Well, two winners for me, but both won by just one frame! Can consider myself lucky but both played very well and deserved to progress. Wonder if i can keep the roll going on tonights games: Going for both favourites this time with a bet365 double on: Robertson 8/15 Higgins 1/2 bet365. Robertson is in superb form progressing 6 - 0 through round 1. Id expect a tougher match against the well expererienced Dott. However with Robertsons form I see him as a serious challenger for the title this year and I should expect him to get past Dott without too much of a struggle. Higgins won this event last year with an excellent comeback several frames down and needing snookers, but Williams somehow managed to give it to Higgins and though he has been in the news for his match fixings and other controversies there is no denying that he is an excellent match player. Though critical of the format, he shouldnt have much trouble dealing with a very average Maguire.
Bit of a suprise to see Higgins lose, though I got abit excited when he came back to 1 frame down. Just a quick one for tonight: 1 unit each and 0.5 on the double: Selby-2.5 10/11 vs Fu Carter 6/5 to beat Allen: Several bookies Selby cruised through to the next round and looks to be on top of his game. Fu struggled but showed us what he is capable of. However his inconsistancys will be pounced on by Selby and I see Selby winning this confortably enough times to pink a profit. I was initially going to take Selby 2/7 but the odds drifted to 1/4 just before i was about to and I didnt have accounts with bookies that were offering 2/7. Thus i opted for the -2.5 market. Allen recently criticised the format of this years championship and Ive backed him heavily in past seasons because I know hes an excellent player. But I feel he is too short to be the favourite against a very composed Ali Carter who will relish this oppotunity to progress in this tournament. :hope Good luck everyone

Well done mate :clap Williams going out means my quarter bet on him is a loser. This tournament is full of surprises, exciting stuff to watch but not when punting. :p
Cheers pal, 15/8 looked massive on walden to win the match but bottled it and took the safe h'cap.

What do you guys think about Mark Selby to have the highest break in the match' date=' priced at 1/2 bet 365. looked very sharp in previous match and quite frankly, i cannot see marco fu getting much of a sniff[/quote'] Never ever rely on sokebody else's opinion to place a bet with your own hard earned!! You do the research and if it feels right you place the bet... If you feel its a good bet, you should place that bet, regardless of whatever anybody else thinks! :ok

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 obviously im not going to rely on somebody elses opinion. however, don't you think its a good idea to maybe listen to somebody who may give a different insight which you may have particularly missed. just because i am a newbie to this forum does not make me a newbie at sports betting ( i dont claim to be an expert either!!)

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 :welcome hummuspie! Your absolutely right, the forum should be used to share opinions and knowledge and it is excellent for doing so, some very knowledgeable posters about and in this thread particularly! I think Aidymac, not knowing whether you have experience of sports betting, was just trying to warn you off anything reckless!

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 Poor night again for me. I'm happy with 80% of the calls i am making this week when i look back on them but just not getting the performances i expect from both the favourites and underdogs :sad

Poor night again for me. I'm happy with 80% of the calls i am making this week when i look back on them but just not getting the performances i expect from both the favourites and underdogs :sad
Moan, same here. A hatrick of losses and not a good night in the Champions league either for me. Utd and City in the Europa leauge? :rollin

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 Heys guys! Never bet on snooker before.. Was just wondering what your opinions are for the 4 matches tomorrow.. Especially whats your opinions on trump, robertson, and murphy? Are they looking solid? Best Tam

Heys guys! Never bet on snooker before.. Was just wondering what your opinions are for the 4 matches tomorrow.. Especially whats your opinions on trump, robertson, and murphy? Are they looking solid? Best Tam
I will be having a bet on Trump to win myself! Maguire was at his best against a Higgins at his worst... Trump's potting will keep him at the table and i will probably stay away from the handicap and just have a big punt at 8/13...I find the other matches too hard to predict, could go either way!

I will be having a bet on Trump to win myself! Maguire was at his best against a Higgins at his worst... Trump's potting will keep him at the table and i will probably stay away from the handicap and just have a big punt at 8/13...I find the other matches too hard to predict' date=' could go either way![/quote'] How do you send a Pm? lol

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 Hi, I'm relatively new to betting and was just wondering if Snooker is profitable in the long run..? Its crazy to see THIS many upsets in a tournament. Is this common in Snooker or have players just been unlucky? Also, did anyone catch the last frame of the Gould v Murphy match? What was going on there? :lol On to tonights matches, I think Robertson will win pretty comfortably. Ding has been extremely lucky and really should have lost to Stevens.

Poor night again for me. I'm happy with 80% of the calls i am making this week when i look back on them but just not getting the performances i expect from both the favourites and underdogs :sad
Chin up mate. Hasn't been the easiest tournament but as long as you are happy with the picks you've made them long term you'll be fine :ok.

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 What a horrible two days that's been. Good job I left for the Luton game halfway through the afternoon session on Tuesday else I might not have had a TV left :lol. Could've had all 3 bets on Tuesday and end up with none and then lose both outrights on Wednesday the day after the draw had opened right up. A shocking -15pts overall now. I'll take two in the first two QFs. Surely the luck will run out for the young two :eek. 5pts N.Robertson to beat D.Junhui 4/5 William Hill How is Ding Junhui still in this tournament? He needed a fluked final pink to beat Mark Davis and although he played better against Stevens the Welshman had him there for the taking but missed a black off it's spot in the decider :wall. At some point you would think Ding will play well but it must be said he hasn't played all that well all season. Credit must go to him for hanging in his matches but eventually he's going to come up against someone clinical and I think that's here. That's because Neil Robertson is playing some lovely snooker and he usually gets better when the tournament starts progressing. I've said in a couple of the other threads that Robertson has played some of his best ever snooker this season and I think that's the case even now and he's played well this week. You don't beat Tom Ford and Graeme Dott for the loss of four frames if you are not. He may not have the century breaks to his name but he has plenty of substantial contributions and the way he controlled himself under pressure in what was the final frame against Dott and that clearance said to me Robertson will be tough to stop this week. I don't see Ding doing it so even at 4/5 I think Robertson is a good bet here. 3pts S.Maguire to beat J.Trump 11/8 William Hill Judd Trump is another who I can't fathom out how he's still in this competition. He had literally given up against Dominic Dale in the first round and Ronnie O'Sullivan had a golden chance to send him packing in the second round. Of course it's not Judd's fault that nobody has put him away and it must be said the youngster found his wayward long potting when he needed it the most in both matches but he isn't going to keep getting away with playing so poorly and leaving his opponent with so many chances. In Stephen Maguire, Judd is playing the player of the week so far. Maguire has rattled in 3 tons, one of which being a 144 and he looks really good. In fact he looks like the kind of player that won this event a few years ago. Since then of course this event has caused him a few problems off the table but all that looks behind him and Maguire looks up for this. Beating Higgins will have given him so much confidence as well. Not only the way he played in going 5-1 up but the way he closed it out when the world champion was ripping the kitchen sink out ready to chuck at him at 5-4. When he clicks into the gear he's been in this week Stephen Maguire is a wonderful player and a world champion in waiting. If he's still in that gear I think he'll beat Judd here, especially if the China Open champion leaves him the number of chances he gifted Dale and Ronnie in the earlier rounds. At 11/8 I'll take Maguire to make the semis from this quarter final.

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 I hope Ding does the business today although i am not too hopeful after seeing his last match. Going to leave that one alone and get involved with some of the others..... Thursday: Stephen Maguire vs Judd Trump 2/5pts S. Maguire to beat J. Trump - 11/8 with William Hill I am in full agreement with Kev here and i'm glad i have woke up with this price still available. I opposed Maguire in the last round and it was probably the selection i am most unhappy about over the last few days. He played well against Hendry and against Higgins he looked back to his best. He is probably playing the best of anyone so far and his constant big breaks including a few centuries backs that up. I have always been suspicious of his safety game but that has been ok so far this week so if he continues like that he will be in with a great chance here. I said after the O'Sullivan match that i would happily oppose Trump again and to see him this short adds extra weight to my arguement. I can kind of see why he is the favourite because he plays the type of game where it could all turn around with one good match, but he should really be out of this Championship. He relied on 3 flukes in one frame to turn around a match against Dale and then gave Ronnie enough chances to put him out. In that last match he never really looked like getting his nose in front - was always just hanging on in there when Ronnie went a frame up. He has been poor tactically and i think that could be found out in this match and send him packing for good. Thursday: Shaun Murphy vs Ricky Walden 2/5pts Over 9.5 frames - Evens with Skybet This should be a cracking match judging by how both have played so far. Ricky Walden carried on from where he finished against Stephen Lee when beating Mark Williams yesterday. He was striking the ball well and it looked as though his confidence had returned to make him the player we all know he can be. Williams didn't play well but Walden had him in all sorts of trouble at times and when in the balls looked good enough to go all the way this week. Shaun Murphy was fantastic against Martin Gould for the first half of the match before going to pieces when needing just one more frame to win. He took his foot off the gas for a couple of frames and then when he realised he was in real danger he made some stupid mistakes. However, i think that will help him coming into this game. He will know he has to be on it until the end and if he plays like he did before yesterdays mid-session interval he will be hard to stop. Murphy leads the head-to-head 2-0 but Walden is a player who is up and down in confidence from tournament to tournament, so seeing him play well this week makes me think he will trouble Murphy. Both of these have shown signs of their best this week and will come into this match confident of beating each other. I can't see either player running away with it so think it is worth a small investment to finish 6-4 or closer.

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 I think none of ye appreciate how good Trump actually is! If your going to judge him on 1 poor performance at the start where he got lucky, thats called putting all your eggs in one basket.. I really fancied him today and it should pay off!

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 Slight profit on the afternoon with Robertson winning. Felt a bit sorry for Maguire. Didn't play badly at all. Anyway two for tonight. 4pts R.Walden to beat S.Murphy 6/4 Ladbrokes Ricky Walden has played some lovely snooker this week and has taken care of two capable players in Stephen Lee and Mark Williams and taken care of them quite comfortably too. He's playing some good solid safety and when he's getting his chances he's scoring enough to win frames. When he's in the balls he's a really underrated scorer but he is clearly feeling really confident at the minute after making a competitive 147 last week and beating someone of Williams' standing in the game on Wednesday. Shaun Murphy has had a mixed tournament really. In his first four frames against Li Yan in the first round he couldn't play a proper shot if his life depended on it but he got it together for the second half of that match and carried that on for the first five frames against Martin Gould. To say he stumbled over the line would be an understatement because for five frames he looked completely gone and as though he couldn't pot a ball. In those two patches where we've seen Murphy playing well he's gone for his shots like he did in the old days and I always think he's a lot better when he does that but he does have this habit lately of erring on the side of keeping things safe than pushing the boat out. I think Walden is playing well enough to take advantage of that and if he gets ahead of Murphy I don't see him coming back. With the extra incentive of a wildcard into the Masters up for grabs should Walden win the event I think he'll give it his all here and at 6/4 he's big enough for me to take him to continue his fine run of form. 4pts M.Allen vs M.Fu - Over 9 Frames 11/10 Bet365 I think this quarter final will be pretty tight. Both men have made it to major semi finals and finals (in Fu's case) in the past but their form this season has been a bit sketchy so this is a big match for both men. When they look at their path to the final you would say it's arguably a bigger match too. That means there will be a lot of pressure and tension around in this match which may see it become scrappy and with that tight. Neither man has the reputation for blowing opponents away so this just has the look of a tight quarter final about it. Both men have scored consistently this week but can be guilty of not finishing frames in one visit so there could be a few frames which are nicked either way but however the match is played out and whoever comes out on top I believe we will have seen at least 10 frames.

Re: Snooker: 2011 UK Championship Dec. 3-11 Looking back at my records this is the worst run i think i have ever been on :unsure Will post up my thoughts for tomorrow's semi-final now as i won't have time to in the morning. So, lay, lay, lay! :lol Friday: Neil Robertson vs Judd Trump 3/5pts N. Robertson to beat J. Trump - 6/5 with Coral I have opposed Judd twice already this week and he has come through each time but i feel at the prices i have no choice but to do so again. Neil Robertson didn't play too great today but still came through to win 6-2. There were a couple of scrappy frames so a bit less big breaks than usual doesn't put me off as it was difficult to do so at times. Against Dott and Ford he impressed me a lot and the only difference from those two matches compared to the one against Ding was a dip in his safety play. He is looking good in the balls overall and will know he has to tighten up his safty play against someone like Trump. Trump looked very good today against Maguire, firing in some good long pots and showing better positional play. His safety still isn't the greatest but if he is having a good day with shots from distance he doesn't need it if his opponent is giving him chances. For this match he has a very tough task. He will have to scrape Robertson off the table in order to win as the Aussie won't give up too easily and has been around long enough to know how to come through these encounters. If Trump plays like he did today he will be hard to beat, but Robertson has shown more than enough this week to suggest he shouldn't be a 6/5 shot. He should be around Evens for me so i am more than happy to get stuck in with a decent stake - a stake that has been increased slightly because of the extra value available.