Announcements
*** New Last Man Standing Competition - Win up to £1500 Annually - See Competitions Forum ***
*** July Competition Winners: Well done to Pete1971 (NAPS), Barnsley Chop (KO Cup), bluemal (Goodwood) & Rivrd (Poker) ***
Sign in to follow this  
Atko

Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals

Tsonga v Fish. Over 22.5 games. 1.75 @ Bwin (6/10)
Loss on this one. Fish bloody awful. Even being a break up in the 2nd set did not help to get him going.

I think this just goes to validate how shit Nadal was on Sunday' date=' expect a thrashing beat down from the mighty Roger.[/quote'] I don't think that is quite how it works. There will be no thrashing and Nadal might even win the encounter. This is where tennis nowadays lacks depth. Whilst, the players in the top 50 might be very close in terms of talent just the top 3 or 4 really have the mental toughness to take advantage to their opponents mistakes or let-offs. We saw this in yesterdays match where really Berdych should have won but was rushing the his shots, committing unforced errors and clearly displaying a lack of mental toughness. The same happened in Tsonga's match against Federer. Tsonga was on the up after winning the second set but once again couldn't hold his nerve to force the issue in the third.

I don't think that is quite how it works. There will be no thrashing and Nadal might even win the encounter. This is where tennis nowadays lacks depth. Whilst, the players in the top 50 might be very close in terms of talent just the top 3 or 4 really have the mental toughness to take advantage to their opponents mistakes or let-offs. We saw this in yesterdays match where really Berdych should have won but was rushing the his shots, committing unforced errors and clearly displaying a lack of mental toughness. The same happened in Tsonga's match against Federer. Tsonga was on the up after winning the second set but once again couldn't hold his nerve to force the issue in the third.
I disagree, I don't believe Nadal played particularly well on Sunday but that's just my opinion, Nadal should have dealt with a Fish playing like this pretty comprehensively if he was playing anywhere near his best. Even a 70% Nadal in terms of match fitness and form shouldn't need a 3rd set tie breaker to come through Mardy in this state. I agree Fish choked in that tie break wherein his forehand just went for walkies though. We'll see if you are right though, for me Nadal was awful in his last match and I don't see how he's going to have enough time to change that around against Roger.

Very hard to see past Federer tonight. He is the only one of the big boys who is at peak fitness. He's evidently in good form and is confident. He's by no means at his best, however, and would be vulnerable to a big performance from Nadal, but the poor Spaniard looked pretty ill on Sunday and a little rusty. His serve is lacking too. There's no doubt that the time he spent on court against Fish will have sharpened his game but if he's ill or indeed injured, then he's going to struggle. He doesn't like this court much either. It's my respect for Nadal and my knowledge that he can cause an upset tonight with his fighting spirit that puts me off the handicap tonight with serious cash, but in the cold light of day it'd be a big surprise if he was to win the match. Stranger things have happened though.

Federer vs Nadal - Federer to win (-2.5) game handicap @ 5/6 with William Hill - 4 Points Not a chance here for Rafa, Federer's had too much game time on arguably his most favoured surface. Nadal was absolutely and utterly dreadful against Fish, his ground-strokes were shallow and barely reaching past the service line, Federer will pick off those shallow ground-strokes by running around his forehand and setting up for the easy put away at the net. Even Nadal's mental toughness and hustling ways won't be enough for him here, would be fairly suprised if it went to 3 but even so the line here would most probably be safe even if it did.
Beat down, absolute beat down! Easiest money ever and should have gone for the -4.5 or -5.5 ... Nadal is embarrassing ATM.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Good call on all those who tipped Fed, only backed him big straight at 1/2 but the -3 handicap would have been a super bet in hindsight. Rafa was terrible and will struggle to beat Tsonga to qualify imo.

Good call on all those who tipped Fed' date=' only backed him big straight at 1/2 but the -3 handicap would have been a super bet in hindsight. Rafa was terrible and will struggle to beat Tsonga to qualify imo.[/quote'] Hindsight? It was always a superbet, did you not watch him vs Mardy Fish? Diabolical.

That was something else from Federer :loon
With Fed in this form and Nadal having barely any time on indoor hards, I'm suprised not more people saw this match going the way I did. Oh well.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals You called it ImLovingIt :clap Try and not get yourself banned mate and hopefully you can carry on with your shrewd picks in January! Really fear for Nadal. He's looked shot for a bit but I really thought this challenge would re-ignite him. Novak has ruined him mentally it seems.

I don't think that is quite how it works. There will be no thrashing and Nadal might even win the encounter. This is where tennis nowadays lacks depth. Whilst, the players in the top 50 might be very close in terms of talent just the top 3 or 4 really have the mental toughness to take advantage to their opponents mistakes or let-offs. We saw this in yesterdays match where really Berdych should have won but was rushing the his shots, committing unforced errors and clearly displaying a lack of mental toughness. The same happened in Tsonga's match against Federer. Tsonga was on the up after winning the second set but once again couldn't hold his nerve to force the issue in the third.
Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face. Ha! How spectacularly wrong was I?! Well done, ImLovinIt for reading Nadal's position so well. Nadal is suffering from exhaustion and I suspect overtraining and he needs a long break from the game. I thought that his game against Fish was bad because of a stomach bug but the reality is that he is vulnerable healthwise at the moment because he is so overtrained and exhausted. Once again ImLovinIt and as much as we love to hate to on this forum the fact is you have come up with some great calls for a few weeks now and have earned my respect.

Hindsight? It was always a superbet' date=' did you not watch him vs Mardy Fish? Diabolical.[/quote'] Yeah but I didn't want to risk £200 on Fed for him to win 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 and me lose my bet. You can't discount the record Rafa has against Fed and that's what was in the back of my mind. Really fancied Roger to win that's why I backed him strongly but happy with £100 extra to play with. :nana

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Hi guys, this is my first post on punters lounge. Been following the tennis threads for a while and hoping I can contribute with some useful tips! Tipsarevic vs Berdych - Berdych to win (-2.5) game handicap @ 5/6 with William Hill Although Berdych has a 4-3 losing record against Tipsarevic, he won their last meeting in Paris on the indoor hard courts 6-4, 6-4. Berdych has been playing some great tennis recently and was very unlucky to lose to Djokovic in the opening match. It will also be Tipsarevic's first match at the ATP World Tour Finals where as Berdych has been here before and played his first match of the group. Tipsarevic potentially wouldn't have been expecting this opportunity so he may possibly be slightly unprepared as no-one could blame him for thinking his season had ended. :hope

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals :welcome G-Dav I think I might go for Tipsarevic. Berdych looked absolutely crest-fallen at the end of the match against Djokovic, and Tipsy will come in with nothing to lose swinging away. Berdych played unbelievable to beat him in Paris but I think the hangover from the Djokovic match will lead to subdued performance and if he's flat I think Tipsy wins.

:welcome G-Dav I think I might go for Tipsarevic. Berdych looked absolutely crest-fallen at the end of the match against Djokovic, and Tipsy will come in with nothing to lose swinging away. Berdych played unbelievable to beat him in Paris but I think the hangover from the Djokovic match will lead to subdued performance and if he's flat I think Tipsy wins.
Fancy Tipsarevic myself, think he would have fancied getting at least a couple of games with injuries to Fish, Djokovic & Rafa coming in to the tournament, plus with Murray getting crocked yesterday I would think Tipsy would be both physically & mentally prepared. As Slider says i think the way Berdych lost to Nole will have a negative affect on him, and will have drained him emotionally. Add to this Tips good record against the Czech including 3 out of the last 4 matches since last September makes the 2.80 on offer from Pinnacle seem too good to pass up. :hope

Sport Tennis
Event Janko Tipsarevic - Tomas Berdych
Selection 1
Strength 10/10
Date 23/11/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.80
Reasoning Today in the 2011 ATP Master Cup in London, Janko Tipsarevic from Serbia will take on Tomas Berdych from the Czech Republic. Tipsarevic is ranked 9th in the world, having really a comeback season, with 2 titles in his hand and other 4 finals played. Berdych on the other hand is two places higher, 7th, with a decent season of his own, but only 1 title and good results in grand slam tournaments. The only one that has played so far here in London was Berdych losing to Djokovic, 6-3, 3-6, 6-7(3). These two have met 7 times before with Tipsarevic leading 4-3, winning 3 of the 4 meetings just this season. Counting the fact that the player with more experience in these conditions is Tipsarevic, I will count on him for another win against Berdych. Tipsarevic is the one who seems more likely to win for me because this season he was another player, a better, more experienced overall.

SportTennis
EventBerdych v Tipsarevic
SelectionTipsarevic
Strength10/10
Date23/11/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 2.92
ReasoningTipsarevic is the bet for me, main reason being the price - he was slight favourite over Berdych just a few weeks ago. He had a meltdown in that match after an excellent start but I would not make Berdych a big favourite here. He had a very tough match against Djokovic and might be struggling after that. Hopefully Tipsarevic can turn up motivated as this is a big chance for him in the finals.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Me too jumping on the Tipsa bandwagon Tipsarevic to bt Berdych @2.97 Pinnacle 1u Tipsarevic +3 > Berdych @2.04 Pinnacle 1u Tipsa basically owns Berdych in last two years except this strange match in Paris. In Paris Tipsa was leading 5-1 in the first set, then something happened and Berdych won 6 consecutive games to win 7-5. Tipsa choked the second set, too, and Berdych got his first victory over Tipsa since 2009 Sunrise Challenger (had been beaten by him 3 times in between). I seriously doubt this choke is going to be repeated today. Tipsa came here to show he deserves to be here. Berdych team admitted the frustration after the loss with Djoker was HUGE. At the same time Berdych knows this match is a MUST WIN for him. If he loses to Tipsa, not even beating Ferrer would help him if Djoker beats Ferrer today. (I guess I am right in assuming Berdy would play first friday match if he loses to Tipsa, and Djoker can lose to Tipsa in the evening on friday if Ferrer loses so that both Serbs will qualify). Berdych does not play well when under pressure, I expect him to produce very high number of UEs today. GL :hope

Me too jumping on the Tipsa bandwagon Tipsarevic to bt Berdych @2.97 Pinnacle 1u Tipsarevic +3 > Berdych @2.04 Pinnacle 1u Tipsa basically owns Berdych in last two years except this strange match in Paris. In Paris Tipsa was leading 5-1 in the first set, then something happened and Berdych won 6 consecutive games to win 7-5. Tipsa choked the second set, too, and Berdych got his first victory over Tipsa since 2009 Sunrise Challenger (had been beaten by him 3 times in between). I seriously doubt this choke is going to be repeated today. Tipsa came here to show he deserves to be here. Berdych team admitted the frustration after the loss with Djoker was HUGE. At the same time Berdych knows this match is a MUST WIN for him. If he loses to Tipsa, not even beating Ferrer would help him if Djoker beats Ferrer today. (I guess I am right in assuming Berdy would play first friday match if he loses to Tipsa, and Djoker can lose to Tipsa in the evening on friday if Ferrer loses so that both Serbs will qualify). Berdych does not play well when under pressure, I expect him to produce very high number of UEs today. GL :hope
This is such a key point you make homunculus - can't emphasise it enough. Look at his forehand (his biggest weapon) against Djokovic. He totally fluffed his lines on the match point and in the breaker, it totally went to pot. He was a bag of nerves before he qualified for London this year and last year. He's got phenomenal talent but he does get extremely tight when the heat is on. Problem is, Tipsarevic can also curl up into a ball when it gets to the boiling point. However, he's got nothing to lose today - nobody is expecting him to perform. Could be a shrewd bet on the handicap, especially when you look at the H2H too.

Me too jumping on the Tipsa bandwagon Tipsarevic to bt Berdych @2.97 Pinnacle 1u LOSS Tipsarevic +3 > Berdych @2.04 Pinnacle 1u WIN
Mixed bag here. As this stands, it literally cancells each other. But there were plenty of opportunities to hedge the outright at the end the second set. Berdych was at 2.40 (Pinnacle) when being down 4-5 or 5-6 in the decider.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Wish i hadnt been watching that :puke Tipsy serving for match, comes into net and got basically whole court to find for the match and still manages to blaze it out...absolutely sickening

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Have to laugh at Tipsarevic, really. Not only he threw away 2nd match in a row against Berdych but also managed to get an ankle injury. Way to gooooo! :rollin

Sport Tennis
Event B, Bryan/M. Bryan - R. Linstedt/H. Tecau
Selection 2
Strength 10/10
Date 23/11/2011
Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 4.70
Reasoning Not much to talk about in this manner, just that there is a favorite and an underdog and everybody likes an underdog. The Bryan brothers are one of the most successfull double teams in history and still going at it, currently ranking 1st in the ATP rankings. On the other side we have the decent team composed by the romanian Horia Tecau and swedish Robert Linstedt who have reached a good level togather, now ranking 6th in the world over teams like Fyrstenberg/Matkowski, Erlich/Ram and others. These two have met once before, just this year at Wimbledon when the Bryan brothers won it 6-3, 6-4, 7-6, so not that clearly just with the obvious and critical break. In this one I will chose the Linstedt/Tecau team who has the chance today to catch a big fish by beating the best in the world and get more money and more points out of this. Win for the team Robert Linstedt / Horia Tecau is my pick.