** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Just having my first look at the prices now and although I'm not sure who I think will win it, (may take an outright at some point) most places are offering around 3/1 for a Federer Murray final which looks attractive given Nadal and Djokovic have been struggling. Not taking anything yet though.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Hi guys, 1 new pick for the ATP Finals in London today: FEDERER-TSONGA: FEDERER TO WIN OVER 12.5 GAMES @ 1.78 on pinnaclesports It should be a close match on fast indoors surface with Tsonga serving big and will not allow a quick win for Federer. Several bookies offer odds on total number of games over 20.5 (boylesports, bet365 at 1.7) and over 21.5 (pinnaclesports at 1.89, betfair at 1.87) and those bets could be taken as well but I think FEDERER TO WIN OVER 12.5 GAMES is the best option since it covers the 7:5 6:2 or 7:5 6:1 possibilities as well. Meaning that the bet is a winner if the match goes to 3 sets or if Federer wins in 2 sets and Tsonga gets to 5:5 in one of the sets. The bet could be found under TEAM TOTALS link in the Barclays ATP London Group B page.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Posting here as well. Backing Roger Federer to win it again. 2.93 @ Pinnacle (7/10) Obvious choice here. Federer has won it five times and is going for a record 6th title. A rare thing to see him the favorite in the event having both Djokovic and Nadal but it is what it is and I definitely think it's a right call by bookies. Djokovic is not 100%. Shoulder is bothering him after all. It wasn't only for the first point in Paris. He did not win it last year being in better shape and generally speaking Djokovic has had too much tennis this year. Nadal has Davis Cup final to worry about. He has never performed well in the Tour finals. He did reach the final last year but was beaten by Roger. The surface suits Federer really good in London and having won 12 matches in a row he can feel confident about beating Rafa again. They are in the same group anyway. So better get rid off him at the earliest stage possible. Andy Murray's there as well but I'm still not sure he can handle the pressure playing at home. He's never got past semifinals at Wimbledon and can not see him winning this one either. Unless there's somebody like Tsonga in the final. All in all, have to go for Federer here, he's won it before, so has the experience, besides most of his challengers are not in the best shape.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals

what about Nadal-Fish ? Both player have injures couple of weeks? Maybe Nadal with more experience will take this one in two sets? Atko ' date=' Psycho some predication from you?[/quote'] Hard to say. No idea what sort of form Fish is in right now. If he's fit he could make this match a real contest as the fast indoor conditions would suit his game. Nadal was not injured really, more about tired. The same is about Federer match. Would not be surprised to see Tsonga getting a set out of it. He can lose 3 and 4 as well. Tough call for me, so not getting involved.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Going to get involved in the opening match of this event. Roger Federer v Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga +4 games AH @ 2.07 with Pinnacle I agree with Pyscho that Federer goes into this event a justified favourite, but I don't think he's going to get it all his own way in this match. I reckon this will probably be his toughest match in his pool. Despite winning his last two meetings with Tsonga, he's historically struggled with the Frenchman. He lost to him in Wimbledon this year and often finds it tough to break down Tsonga in quick conditions, which these are. He beat him last week in Paris 6-1 7-6 but the court was extremely slow, which doesn't suit Tsonga. He's all about explosive play and using his huge serve and forehand. Federer's a worthy favourite, and probably should come through this one, but Tsonga's a huge threat in these conditions and can keep it close.

Federer d. Tsonga 6-2 2-6 6-4 :ok Good start to the tournament. Have a wee inkling we'll see both these two men in the semis.
Congrats for the winner :clap I have the impression, though, that this came through only because Fedex just went mentally away in the second set because it was all so easy in the first. Tsonga only 44% first serve in and two aces in the second set, not the numbers that can be a serious threat for Fedex while he is focused :-) BTW, the court seems pretty slow compared to the last year, and the balls do bounce quite high.

Congrats for the winner :clap I have the impression, though, that this came through only because Fedex just went mentally away in the second set because it was all so easy in the first. Tsonga only 44% first serve in and two aces in the second set, not the numbers that can be a serious threat for Fedex while he is focused :-) BTW, the court seems pretty slow compared to the last year, and the balls do bounce quite high.
Watched the whole match. Tsonga raised his game massively. Wonder if his first set could have been attributed to nerves rather Federer playing surperb tennis. Tsonga played a wonderful second set and blew Federer away. The man is not infallable anymore, and when players go for him (especially is backhand) with powerful, attacking tennis, then they can get some joy from him. In essence, Tsonga is a bad match-up for Federer-minus backers when on a medium-to-quick surface. I do agree on the court though. It's not lightning quick, but certainly has more zip than Paris.

Watched the whole match. Tsonga raised his game massively. Wonder if his first set could have been attributed to nerves rather Federer playing surperb tennis. Tsonga played a wonderful second set and blew Federer away. The man is not infallable anymore, and when players go for him (especially is backhand) with powerful, attacking tennis, then they can get some joy from him. In essence, Tsonga is a bad match-up for Federer-minus backers when on a medium-to-quick surface. I do agree on the court though. It's not lightning quick, but certainly has more zip than Paris.
For sure Tsonga raised his game massively :-) He was total crap in the first losing two serve games to love and making just 3 points on the return. He was average to good in the second. Kept this in the third, but Federer finally realized he cannot afford to sleep so blatantly. Tsonga was nowhere near the level he did show in the second set of the Paris final last week. However, he is the type that gradually improves his performance. I think that beating Fish is fully within his capabilities.

For sure Tsonga raised his game massively :-) He was total crap in the first losing two serve games to love and making just 3 points on the return. He was average to good in the second. Kept this in the third, but Federer finally realized he cannot afford to sleep so blatantly. Tsonga was nowhere near the level he did show in the second set of the Paris final last week. However, he is the type that gradually improves his performance. I think that beating Fish is fully within his capabilities.
Definitely. I also think he's got a very good chance against Nadal indoors. Will be interesting to see what sort of lines the bookies chalk up.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Day two of the finals in London, and with still a slight bit of uncertainty over the condition of Novak Djokovic's shoulder, I can only really find one bet. That bet is Andy Murray on the -4.5 game handicap against David Ferrer. The odds are currently hovering in the 1.86 region. In all honesty, I don't expect them to rise. Murray has won his last four meetings against the Spaniard in the past 12 months. He's covered this line in two out of the three best-of-three matches. There are a couple of factors that point me in this direction. Murray walloped him 6-2 6-2 in this exact arena a year ago. Conditions evidently suit the Scot better. The court is slower than last year but still quicker than what Ferrer prefers. Then there's the form book. Murray ended the season well, dominating in Asia and only coming unstuck against a man he often toils against in Tomas Berdych. Ferrer was pretty meek in comparison. He does his hard work in the Slams and on the clay. Anything else is a bonus. This is not the optimum arena for Ferrer to showcase himself best. His serve is also a little vulnerable against the top players, and against a returner like Murray, I expect him to be under pressure in most of his service games. With that all in mind, I can't get away from the minus line. I expect a strong performance from Murray. Monday recommendation - Andy Murray -4.5 games @ 1.862 with Pinnacle (5pts)

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Berdych tb Djokovic 3@bwin 6/10! No doubt that 2011 is Djokovic year and he was that guy beating one after one his opponents in early 2011. You just can't win all your matches, and no matter how good you play you can't avoid some bad times. That's what exactly happened with Djokovic. I think that Berdych coming into this with a good momentum and is in a great shape to beat current world #1, especially when the serb isn't in that form wich was in early 2011. H2H is all to Djokovic 7-1, but i will try to go against the serb. over 22.5 also tempting ... gl :ok

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Nice bets there . Djokovic has had a very tough year and after playing so many games , i don't think we'll expect him to show up at the World Tour Finals . Too much fixture congestion for him already . I guess he will take it easy and bow out of the season ending tour meekly . Hence , taking him at short odds is really not worth it as clearly he had problems . In Men's tennis , Its overcoming fatigue and injuries that makes you a great player . Look what happened to Nadal when he got injuried .... took him a full season to get going . So i think for Novak to be ranked up against Nadal and Fed , the next season is crucial

Berdych tb Djokovic 3@bwin 6/10! No doubt that 2011 is Djokovic year and he was that guy beating one after one his opponents in early 2011. You just can't win all your matches, and no matter how good you play you can't avoid some bad times. That's what exactly happened with Djokovic. I think that Berdych coming into this with a good momentum and is in a great shape to beat current world #1, especially when the serb isn't in that form wich was in early 2011. H2H is all to Djokovic 7-1, but i will try to go against the serb. over 22.5 also tempting ... gl :ok

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Good shout on Tsonga yesterday Atko. The Frenchman will be a threat this week without question. I'll get involved for the first time this week in the last tournament of the year. Taking 2 in both matches. Andy Murray (-4.5 games) to beat David Ferrer- 17/20 Sportingbet- (5/10) Total Breaks of Serve Under 5.5- 4/6 Ladbrokes- (6/10) Fancy Murray to win with some to spare here to get off to a good start. He'll know this is a dangerous group and although I fully expect him to top it and advance, he will need to just be wary of Berdych and Djokovic who can both beat him. However I don't see Ferrer being much of a threat in this group. He lost all 3 group games last year, and although the court is a touch slower, Atko has already mentioned it's still a bit too fast for Ferrer to be at his best whilst we've seen it suits Andy really well. The Scot will have the crowd behind him and he will want to start well with an easy win. Massive advantage in terms of the H2H for Murray, beating the Spaniard 6-2 6-2 last year and covered the handicap in a fair few of the matches against Ferrer and I fancy him to do the same again today. Also like the number of breaks of serve in this match and I really can't see where we're getting 6 breaks from today. I've said I fancy Murray to win this quite well, and I see him winning in straights, and if his serve is working well, despite Ferrer being good on return, he shouldn't get many chances to break. Murray should be all over Ferrer's serve you imagine as it isn't the best, and if Murray wins well, there shouldn't be anymore than 5 breaks of serve in this one. Tomas Berdych to beat Novak Djokovic- 23/10 Sportingbet- (2/10) Over 22 games- 5/6 Sportingbet- (3/10) Really don't know what sort of condition the Serb is in coming into this one so for Berdych to be this high, he has to be taken to be honest. In recent times Djokovic has never had it easy over Berdych anyways and with the Czech playing some good tennis over in Paris, beating Tipsarevic and Murray in the process, he should come into this one with some confidence. He was a massive underdog in his group last year, where he lost to Nadal and Djokovic, but beat Roddick fairly comfortably and that experience from last year should be good for Berdych as he'll know the courts now. Djokovic as we all know has had the year that dreams are made of in the tennis world but as we saw in Paris, he was far from his best with that shoulder of his playing up, so he might be a touch rusty to begin with and I think Berdych will be delighted he plays him first up as he has a worthy chance here. Still think Murray and Djokovic will go through from this group, as I see Djokovic improving as the week goes on and perhaps beating Murray later on in the week, but if he still is looking to return to fitness, Berdych with his power isn't a great matchup for the Serb and with the odds that high, I'll back the Czech with small stakes. Also taking the overs in this one. We say both matches go to 3 sets yesterday, and traditionally the recent matches between these two guys have been quite tight in parts. Berdych has retired in the last 2 matches this year, but before that, the match in Dubai was into its third set, and in Cincinnati they played out a tight first before Berdych couldn't continue. Djokovic has played a fair few 3 setters recently, and although I'm slightly favouring Berdych here, don't see either of these guys running away with it so backing the overs, which also gives us a push if either guy win 7-5 6-4 as well.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 November

Sport Tennis
Event Andy Murray - David Ferrer
Selection 2
Strength 10/10
Date 21/11/2011
Bookmaker/Price Betsafe @ 4.99
Reasoning Today we will have an interesting meeting int he ATP Master Cup in London where Andy Murray will play the first match against spaniard David Ferrer. Murray is ranked 3rd in the world, with a very good 2011 season, with 5 titles (4 on hardcourt and 1 on grass), another final along with other good results with few exceptions like Rotterdam, Indian Wells, Miami and Montreal where he was kick out from the first round and in straight sets. On the other side, Derrer is having a very season of his own, although he won only 2 titles, he played 4 other finals and very decent results in the other tournaments he played, unlike Murray he only had 2 where he lost from the first round, at Rotterdam and Indian Wells. These two have met 8 times before, with Murray leading by 5-3 and winning the last 4 in a row (last 3 were this year) but still I find many qualities in Ferrer who played more games then ussual on hardcourt and/or indoors tournaments where he got a total record of 28-10. Murray has a very strong, very efficient serve but his weekness comes first of all when it starts to creak and that`s when his game stats fluctuating, that prooves the straight sets losses (all on hard) of this season. The 4-game winning streak of Andy over Ferrer wasn`t that clear, only twice he had probably 2 breaks in a set but in the other two Ferrer even won a set and the sets were decided by 1 break or none (tiebreak). With the streak that the spaniard is on, reaching at least the quarterfinals in his last 4 tournaments I think he has a decent chance here.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Hi guys, 1 new pick for the ATP Finals in London tomorrow: FEDERER TO DEFEAT NADAL @ 1.5 on unibet/ladbrokes/stanjames/paddypower On any other surface Nadal would be the favorite but he hates indoors environment and relatively fast surface. I think Federer would be a favorite even against a healthy Nadal, but Nadal surely struggles with fitness and injuries after the US Open.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Rafael Nadal to beat Roger Federer @ 7/4 BET 365 Strength (5/10) Didn't plan to get involved in the lottery that is the ATP Tour Finals group stage, however can't resist this one. Just feel this all set up for another Nadal victory over Federer when once again when the general mood is that Fed will win. It's all too familiar. He could do of course, as Nadal has barely played and Fed is good form, but these things never seem to matter when Nadal comes up against Roger and- unless Nadal is completely knackered (like he was last year in the final against Fed) - I will always back him to beat Federer. He looks like he's got over his food poisoning as well and by tomorrow night he should be fresh and raring to go; ready to whip up those forehands onto Fed's backhand on a slowish court. I fancy Fed to get all flustered again and buckle under the strain. :hope

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Berdych vs Djokovic - Berdych first break of serve @ 11/8 with BetFred - 3 Points Amazing value here, Djokovic is still evidently not at maximum strength and I feel he will just like in his most recent matches in the two master's 1000's just gone make a fairly slow start. The main factor in what has been causing Djokovic issues has been his shoulder and one of the most use areas used when serving is the shoulder.... He was double faulting persistently in his matches after the injury occurred, okay, its inflammation, but that's a hindrance and therefore, effectively an injury. Berdych has a fierce-some serve and forehand and he RARELY makes bad starts to matches, I see his serve and forehand being in the zone for the opening games of the set and therefore would make the possibility of the first break of serve to go in the way of Berdych.

Re: Tennis - ATP World Tour Finals Berdych vs Djokovic - Over 21.5 games @ 9/10 with 10Bet- 3 Points Don't see an easy ride for Novak with the handicap of his serve .. could be a long evening ... Berdych could sneak a set or even the match .. who knows ... two straights could still meet this line. Much value here.

Rafael Nadal to beat Roger Federer @ 7/4 BET 365 Strength (5/10) Didn't plan to get involved in the lottery that is the ATP Tour Finals group stage, however can't resist this one. Just feel this all set up for another Nadal victory over Federer when once again when the general mood is that Fed will win. It's all too familiar. He could do of course, as Nadal has barely played and Fed is good form, but these things never seem to matter when Nadal comes up against Roger and- unless Nadal is completely knackered (like he was last year in the final against Fed) - I will always back him to beat Federer. He looks like he's got over his food poisoning as well and by tomorrow night he should be fresh and raring to go; ready to whip up those forehands onto Fed's backhand on a slowish court. I fancy Fed to get all flustered again and buckle under the strain. :hope
Eh, I don't see how this can ever come off, but I see you are basically taking a tiny punt based on the prices value. Can't see it myself, good luck however. :ok