** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26

aliando

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26

Very tempted to take city on the big handicaps wednesday we are poor. very very very poor! our 1st team just dont cut it and we have drawn just 1 game out of our last 6 in the league (not particularly a hard run of games either). we cant score and we certainly cant defend. there is a suggestion that we are resting our better players (out of form however) for the cup game as we play city in the league again at the weekend. i would expect city to win by 2 at least if they played our 1st team, so i fear for our reserves (in a cup we know we wont win). i seriously expect something like a 5 or 6 goal defeat here, especially after what city did to utd on sunday. my only concern is if city opt for reserves or youth players. if youth players (they will still win) i will be more cautious if they send the likes of dzeko and johnson, im going deep. fans were very much on the players and managers back at the weekend when our best chance of a home win all season went by as we scraped a draw late on from 2-0 down.
I don't think that's reason enough for us to lose by 5 or 6. Sure it could happen but i wouldn't expect us to lose to their youth! Our reserves this season have beaten Northampton 1st team 4-0. Millwall 1st team 5-0. Man utd reserves 5-2 and chelsea (reserve champions) 3-2 having played a mixture of youth and premier league fringe players. This is entirely different from the league but having scored 9 in our last two cup games I certainly wouldn't want to be covering a handicap bigger than 2. Maybe I'm just a happy clapper.........

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Aldershot vs Manchester United Man Utd will want to bounce back after Sunday and put in a good performance seeing as this game is on TV. In the last round United started with Diouf, Macheda, Owen, Berbatov and Giggs and Park- 4 strikers and 2 attacking midfielders. This time round the same players will be expecting to play along with Hernandez who was on the bench on Sunday. Vidic will be at the back alongside Jones possibly. This team is miles ahead of Aldershot and easily has the capabilities to score 4 or 5. With that i fancied Over 2.5 goals but the price was quite short at 4/9. I thought all of the goals would come from Utd anyway which is why the price of 5/6 on Over 2.5 Utd goals is a much better bet. Manchester United Total Goals Over 2.5 @ 5/6 Bet365

Michael Owen to score first 5/1 Betfred Think this is pretty decent value as the League Cup is pretty much the only chance Owen get's these days to show what he can do and he usually scores in these games having scored another 2 against Leeds in the last round.
Pretty much agree with this. Think he has scored 11 goals in 15 starts for Man Utd and looks a nice EW bet at 5/1 with Betfred & Tote

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Blackburn Rovers Vs. Newcastle United Selection: Newcastle United DNB @ 2.00 Ladbrokes Stake: 8/10 I pondered over this bet for quite some time but I've seen that the odds for Newcastle have been falling so decided to grab this price before it was too late. The story for these clubs this season is that of over achievement for Newcastle and under achievement on Blackburn's part. With Newcastle perched in 4th place in the EPL and Blackburn planted at the foot of the table this on paper may seem like a little bit of a mismatch. However, this being the CC one must look at the team sheets of each club in their previous matches played in the cup. It seems that both sets of mangers are using the CC to give their non regulars a run out. Blackburn have beaten Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 and Leyton Orient 3-2 so far in the competition. Newcastle have squeaked through with two extra time victories. The first being a 2-1 win against Scunthorpe and the second victory a 4-3 match against Nottingham Forest. These teams have already met this year in the EPL with Newcastle winning 3-1 at home. With team confidence being on the opposite ends of the spectrum I am hoping Newcastle will pull through with the victory but wanted the draw as cover. Another bet of some interest may be over 2.5 goals at 1.93 with Pinnacle. I have decided only to take a bet on Newcastle DNB though as I like to have a clear line of support with my bets. I would have mixed feelings if Blackburn were to score and I don't want that. :rollin Newcastle reserves to triumph over the Blackburn reserves DNB at evens, good luck :hope

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Everton Vs. Chelsea Selection: Draw @ 3.49 Pinnacle Stake: 5/10 I think the Carling Cup match between Everton and Chelsea will be a close and hard fought match between these two premiership rivals. Both teams will have ambitions to win the match and I feel that even though Everton have a fairly thin squad that they will field a strong team based on their previous CC fixtures. AVB has a plethora of options at Chelsea so I'm sure whatever team he picks it's going to be competitive. History suggest that these two teams are quite even when going H2H with the previous ten match resulting in 2-2-6. While normally I'm not a huge fan of historically results to predict future ones I feel the 6 draws in the last 10 meetings is representative of the close games these two typically play against each other. Chelsea have already played Everton this year at home in the EPL and came out 3-1 victors. However, after watching that match I feel that the score flattered the hosts. Chelsea did not really dominate in the stats and their 3 goals came from only 5 shots on target. With the Carling Cup fixture being at Goodison Park and Chelsea more likely to rotate I feel this game will be even closer. I would not be surprised if this game went into extra time after a result of 1-1. With pinnacle offering 3.49 for the draw I think this bet represents fairly good value and I am happy to place this bet with smaller stakes, good luck :hope

Everton Vs. Chelsea Selection: Draw @ 3.49 Pinnacle Stake: 5/10 I think the Carling Cup match between Everton and Chelsea will be a close and hard fought match between these two premiership rivals. Both teams will have ambitions to win the match and I feel that even though Everton have a fairly thin squad that they will field a strong team based on their previous CC fixtures. AVB has a plethora of options at Chelsea so I'm sure whatever team he picks it's going to be competitive. History suggest that these two teams are quite even when going H2H with the previous ten match resulting in 2-2-6. While normally I'm not a huge fan of historically results to predict future ones I feel the 6 draws in the last 10 meetings is representative of the close games these two typically play against each other. Chelsea have already played Everton this year at home in the EPL and came out 3-1 victors. However, after watching that match I feel that the score flattered the hosts. Chelsea did not really dominate in the stats and their 3 goals came from only 5 shots on target. With the Carling Cup fixture being at Goodison Park and Chelsea more likely to rotate I feel this game will be even closer. I would not be surprised if this game went into extra time after a result of 1-1. With pinnacle offering 3.49 for the draw I think this bet represents fairly good value and I am happy to place this bet with smaller stakes, good luck :hope
Good write up mate :ok It's very tempting to follow you on the draw as I personally thought this fixture would be a very tight and cagey affair, like usual between these 2 sides really. However I simply can't go past a Chelsea win, especially because of the odds being offered. AVB said he plans to use a mixture of youth and experience - So I'd expect a reasonably strong Chelsea side and plenty of motivation to win after the shambles at QPR on the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see Everton field a near full strength side aswell, but I'm just not convinced that will be enough to keep Chelsea at bay. Either way, I'm happy to have a crack at the outright win for Chelsea. And I'll also have a crack at the safer option of Chelsea making it through to the next round. Everton v Chelsea @ 2.13 Sportsbet Chelsea to qualify for the next round @ 1.60 Sportsbet

Aldershot vs Manchester United Man Utd will want to bounce back after Sunday and put in a good performance seeing as this game is on TV. In the last round United started with Diouf, Macheda, Owen, Berbatov and Giggs and Park- 4 strikers and 2 attacking midfielders. This time round the same players will be expecting to play along with Hernandez who was on the bench on Sunday. Vidic will be at the back alongside Jones possibly. This team is miles ahead of Aldershot and easily has the capabilities to score 4 or 5. With that i fancied Over 2.5 goals but the price was quite short at 4/9. I thought all of the goals would come from Utd anyway which is why the price of 5/6 on Over 2.5 Utd goals is a much better bet. Manchester United Total Goals Over 2.5 @ 5/6 Bet365
Good call :clap

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Man City should be capable of comfortably disposing of Wolves tonight. They have players on the bench that are all better than Wolves best players. City are on a high at the moment after beating United 6-1 and they will want to continue to impress tonight against a lacklustre Wolves side that are not playing well and the fans dont seem to be taking to Mick McCarthy at the moment either! I think Wolves will nick a goal at home but i think City have too much firepower and should dispose of Wolves easily. I had 3-1 priced as a 9/1 chance so value in the price Man City to win 3-1 @ 12/1 Paddy Power

Man City should be capable of comfortably disposing of Wolves tonight. They have players on the bench that are all better than Wolves best players. City are on a high at the moment after beating United 6-1 and they will want to continue to impress tonight against a lacklustre Wolves side that are not playing well and the fans dont seem to be taking to Mick McCarthy at the moment either! I think Wolves will nick a goal at home but i think City have too much firepower and should dispose of Wolves easily. I had 3-1 priced as a 9/1 chance so value in the price Man City to win 3-1 @ 12/1 Paddy Power
I agree wholeheartedly. I took Man City - 2.0 @ 3,20 with bet365, it's 2,75 now - still worth taking in my opinion. :hope

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Probably going a little bit against the grain with this pick but i fancy Blackburn tonight. I watched Blackburn sunday and was actually reasonably impressed with their performance, although they lost i think they defended pretty solidly, and were only undone by two real bits of quality in the final third that i dont think Newcastle will have tonight. They also kept the ball well (67/33 possesion :eek) and created chances of their own, admittantly the chances came when they played to their strengths - lumping it into Samba and co :lol As for the team news, i can only imagine Kean will play a strong side, if he doesnt its only going to induce more pressure on him from the fans - Blackburns only abseentee tonight that played on Sunday will be N'Zonzi in midfield. Newcastle will be missing Tiote and Ameobi. Steven Taylor broke his nose Saturday so he is expected to be rested too. Although Newcastle have had a great start to the season i can see Blackburn getting a result tonight if they play like they did Sunday. I'm going to take Blackburn (+0AH) @ 2.03 - Bet365. I will however wait untill the teams are announced to stake my bet so i can be 100% sure. You never know with the Carling Cup!

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Crystal Palace @ 2.96 :D Liverpool @ 2.12 pinnacle Both sides should have pretty strong sides given that they both see this competition as one of their very few chances of landing a trophy this season, and the near full strength line ups they have played with in the previous rounds. Stoke had a 0-0 draw with Tottenham, before winning 7-6 on penalties with the following line up: Sorenson, Huth, Upson, Shotton, Wheland, Wilson, Pennant, Etherington, Palacios, Jones, Jerome, with Diao, Crouch and Walters coming off the bench. Liverpool won 2-1 at Brighton but was surprising was the side that played that day: Reina, Coates, Carragher, Kelly, Robinson, Maxi, Spearing, Lucas, Suarez, Kuyt and Bellamy, with Flanagan and Bellamy coming off the bench. A pretty strong side and expect them to go out with another similar side. They are out of Europe this year and Dalgleish has indicated that they will be looking at the League and FA Cup as winnable competitions this year. Going off their 1-0 loss to Stoke in the EPL last month, Liverpool dominated that game, and should have won on the balance of play, and the chances they created and missed. Dalgleish has called for his side to finish sides off after another game on the weekend against Norwich where they once again should have won with the chances they had. Like Liverpool to be able to negate the long ball of Stoke, as this is where they likes of Skrtel, Agger and Coates excel at, and only if they decide to play with smaller and speedier players like Walters and Jerome is where they may have some problems, but no team has been able to tame Suarez so far, and if he plays and continues his very good form, then the goals will come. Man City -1.5 @ 2.10 pinnacle Both sides meet again this weekend in the EPL, and given Wolves position on the table, they are probably going to focus on that game rather than this game. Wolves beat Millwall 5-0 in the last round with the following lineup: De Vries. Elokobi, Stearman, Berra, Doherty, Edwards, Hunt, Hammill, Milijas, Guedioura and Vokes, with Kightly, Spray and Jarvis coming off the bench. Man City has plenty of depth and should have a very competitive side here that beat Birmingham 2-0 in the last round: Pantilimon, Bridge, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Savic, Onuoha, Toure, Hargreaves, Razak, Tevez and Ballotelli. They will be on a massive high after beating their Manchester rivals, and like them to continue their form here, as their depth shoud be too much for Wolves Newcastle @ 2.59 pinnacle Newcastle are doing well in the EPL, and with a good break until they play Stoke on Monday night, they can afford to go out with a strong side fo this game. Blackburn on the other hand, are further down the table, and though they played well against Tottenham on the weekend, this cup game is not a priority. They have a much more important game with Norwich on the weekend where they be looking to pick up some points, so expect them to have a few players rested for that game. Like Newcastle to win this game as they should have a pretty strong side as Pardew has indicated that given their winning form in the league, then they can afford to play with a much stronger side in this game.

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Found this on skysports.. if this is correct it must be the weakest team city started with this year... Possible starting XIs: Wolves: Guedioura, Milijas, Vokes, De Vries, Craddock, Hunt, Doherty, Edwards, Elokobi. Manchester City: Pantilimon, Onuoha, Savic, Toure, Kolarov, Millner, Razak, Zabaleta, Bridge, De Jong, Dzeko Makes me doubt the hcp -1

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 That looks about right to me..... Mancini should rest all the starting eleven that played against United, if reports are accurate. Not sure about Milner from that list, as he started on Sunday. Also, Hargreaves won't play. And obviously Tevez too....

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Has to be a certain wait for the team sheet job, City could field 3 teams so we don't know how strong they will be, won't be playing many of the weekend side though I think we can be sure of that, this is the competition they are least bothered about so it will be a weak team (by City standards). Supporters,on the whole, seem to be chucking this one around.. Pantillimon Zaba Savic K Toure Kolarov De Jong Razak Nasri Milner Johnson Dzeko I would question whether De Jong and Milner will play especially since Milner was so good on Sunday and usually runs his guts out, no reason why Nasri and Johnson shouldn't line up though. Might be an in-play job, not made up my mind yet, odds are hardly inviting though for a 2/3 choice line up.

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Wolverhampton vs Man. City I got another info from goal.com Wolves : Hennessey, Stearman, Berra, Johnson, Ward, Guedioura, Henry, O'Hara, Jarvis, Vokes, Doyle Mac. City : Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy, De Jong, Johnson, Milner, Hargreaves, Nasri, Balotelli I don't know which is the true probable lineups.. But I hope my info will be the true one because other one is so risky :notworthy

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 Actually, I don't know one of these saying that O. Hargreaves is in the probable lineups and other one saying that he will miss the match because of his injury... I hate this kind of unimportant cup matches.. You can bet easily just the name of the team, not for the players.... F..cking cup matches:spank

Probably going a little bit against the grain with this pick but i fancy Blackburn tonight. I watched Blackburn sunday and was actually reasonably impressed with their performance, although they lost i think they defended pretty solidly, and were only undone by two real bits of quality in the final third that i dont think Newcastle will have tonight. They also kept the ball well (67/33 possesion :eek) and created chances of their own, admittantly the chances came when they played to their strengths - lumping it into Samba and co :lol As for the team news, i can only imagine Kean will play a strong side, if he doesnt its only going to induce more pressure on him from the fans - Blackburns only abseentee tonight that played on Sunday will be N'Zonzi in midfield. Newcastle will be missing Tiote and Ameobi. Steven Taylor broke his nose Saturday so he is expected to be rested too. Although Newcastle have had a great start to the season i can see Blackburn getting a result tonight if they play like they did Sunday. I'm going to take Blackburn (+0AH) @ 2.03 - Bet365. I will however wait untill the teams are announced to stake my bet so i can be 100% sure. You never know with the Carling Cup!
You may be right about Blackburn and I didn't realize Ameobi was out. :) I only saw the MOTD 2 highlights of the Spurs game and even though Blackburn dominated the stats they got less airtime! I kind of figured that Spurs were sitting back playing a counter attacking game with Blackburn creating lots of low percentage scoring opportunities. Like you say this game probably has become more important for Steve Kean given the pressure that is on him. If you do get favorable match ups you're hoping for, you will have to be fast with your fingers tonight if you want to lock in the best possible odds. Good luck :ok

Wolverhampton vs Man. City I got another info from goal.com Wolves : Hennessey, Stearman, Berra, Johnson, Ward, Guedioura, Henry, O'Hara, Jarvis, Vokes, Doyle Mac. City : Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy, De Jong, Johnson, Milner, Hargreaves, Nasri, Balotelli I don't know which is the true probable lineups.. But I hope my info will be the true one because other one is so risky :notworthy
I very much doubt that McCarthy will start with that. It is our best eleven. Even then, we will get tonked.

Found this on skysports.. if this is correct it must be the weakest team city started with this year... Possible starting XIs: Wolves: Guedioura, Milijas, Vokes, De Vries, Craddock, Hunt, Doherty, Edwards, Elokobi. Manchester City: Pantilimon, Onuoha, Savic, Toure, Kolarov, Millner, Razak, Zabaleta, Bridge, De Jong, Dzeko Makes me doubt the hcp -1
I wouldn't doubt the handicap at all. That team is awful. Vokes is the only striker, and he is useless. Hunt is out of form. Edwards just came back from injury. Craddock is the heart of the defense, he is 38, and haven't started a match i half a year. Elokobi is clumsy and useless, will be destroyed on the wing. Doherty is one of our academy kids. Nice talent. Guediora and Milijas are the only threats there. However midfield will be overrun. Can see Wolves losing this to nil. Question is whether it will be 3,4 or 5. I'm a Wolves fan... ufortunatly.

I very much doubt that McCarthy will start with that. It is our best eleven. Even then' date=' we will get tonked.[/quote'] :D whatever, I will wait for the proper lineups... or maybe I wont bet for cup matches except B.Rovers vs Newcastle..

Re: England: Carling Cup Oct 25-26 5pts Blackburn v Newcastle - Blackburn @ 3.3 Betfair I was really impressed with the Blackburn performance against us as the weekend and we were very lucky to come away with the 3 points. The players are certainly still playing for the manager, and I think this is an ideal chance for Kean to relieve some pressure with a win tonight. Steve Keane and Blackburn need the win much more than Newcastle and I expect to see a strong Blackburn side. Newcastle on the other hand has a very tough set of league fixtures coming up and I expect them to rotate more than Blackburn. A Blackburn win of any sort will help to ease the pressure on Kean and his side, and If they can play like they did against us at the weekend I can see them coming out on top here. With the odds on offer I certainly see some value in Blackburn and I'm happy to be on the home side in this one. :ok

-1.5AH Liverpool @ 3.80 Bet365 It looks very tempting considering that Liverpool wants to win this competition and their finishing will get better one day. Why not today? Anyways the odds are tempting
Considering Stoke have lost at home by this margin only once in the last 38 games in all competitions, I would probably say the opposite.