** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League > Tuesday 18th October

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October

Why would he let Liverpool lead the game? Thats a pile of poo-poo! Whats Fergies mobile number there? You seem to know what he does be thinking.. :lol The fact is shown by the starting line up is that he didnt show Liverpool respect and he fielded a weakened side, also with tonights game and City at the weekend in mind!
I do not know his number. The fact is that United got it's point. Mutch more than the last three year when Sir Alex "had shown respect" to Liverpool. I'm sure that if Rooney had played in Saturday he would be provoced in any situation by the home team players. His temper is not so good as we all know. The odds that he will be booked were even lower thar Lucas' :$:$:$:$:$:$:$ Sir Alex protected him and I do not think we can blame him for this. Tonight he will be on the pitch, we'll see how he will play that game!!!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never quite get the idea that must win games equate to big winning margins for short priced favourites. After all' date=' they only need the three points. City haven't done anything inspring in the first two games, and there's nothing to suggest they'll suddenly pull it together. In Europe I'm talking about, forget the league. The league is inconsequential.[/quote'] They have played the strongest two sides in the group other than themselves and not done brilliantly, I would class Bayern as one of the best sides in the competition though and doubt if more than a couple of sides in Europe are capable of winning there. With the momentum Bayern have currently the defeat was no huge surprise, although I had a bit of a punt on City as I felt there was value in the price they were, DNB. It's always a bit of a minefield picking through the short priced favourites in the CL, I haven't seen many arguments made for how Villarreal will be able to compete with them though unlike we had for Napoli and Bayern previously. They have keys players missing, players playing out of position in defence, poor league form against below average sides, players brought in have not adapted. They have never been a side with much financial means, shown by the sale of Cazorla to likely rivals Malaga in the summer when he was one of their best players last year, and have been punching above their weight for years but with better players than they have now. IMO they are a team on the way down, money talks more so than ever, Villarreal do alright in Spain but the league is so weak now above the top two that isn't saying much, they are a selling club whose major asset Rossi is likely to leave sooner rather than later. You say 'The league is inconsequential' and Europe is a separate entity, I understand where you are coming from but the European runs from sides with minor pedigree are becoming less frequent. CL 2010-11 maybe Schalke and Spurs? Still from Germany and England though, strong leagues, 2009-10 Inter were surprise winners but had Mourinho and we have seen since how much of a difference he made to them, and makes to any side. I don't think you can ignore City's domestic form in relation to the CL, England is seen as one of the stronger European leagues and City are top of it, they may well not win it but they will probably be top 2, history tells us that stong EPL sides are likely to be competing in the CL last 16 at the very least. You could argue that this comes with european experience which City don't have, but the class of player they have puts them in a seperate bracket for me, maybe I'm wrong, time will tell. I don't think there is too much pressure on Mancini to win the CL this year, it's an unrealistic aim, but I think they will reach the knockout stages. I get annoyed by the 'must win', 'more motivated' arguments as well because they often carry little logic, but I think they are the price they are for a reason, I haven't heard any argument for Villarreal being able to contain them so far..

I do not know his number. The fact is that United got it's point. Mutch more than the last three year when Sir Alex "had shown respect" to Liverpool. I'm sure that if Rooney had played in Saturday he would be provoced in any situation by the home team players. His temper is not so good as we all know. The odds that he will be booked were even lower thar Lucas' :$:$:$:$:$:$:$ Sir Alex protected him and I do not think we can blame him for this. Tonight he will be on the pitch, we'll see how he will play that game!!!
So your saying Rooney should not play away to Liverpool, Everton or City incase he looses his temper? Its the big games like this that the top players should be playing in... Anderson, Carrick, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez, Rooney, Vidic all on the bench, your saying he fielded the most appropriate side possible? No way... Even Rooney posted on Twitter basically saying Fergie didnt show them any respect

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October CSKA Moscow-Trabzonspor = 1 (1.61) bet365 stakes 5 / 10 CSKA Moscow position 4° points 1 Trabzonspor position 1° points 4 Preview: CSKA Moscow: injured: Sekou Oliseh (midfielder 25 / 0), Igor Akinfeev (goalkeeper 22 / 0), Keisuke Honda (midfielder 18 / 7), Tomas Necid (forward 11 / 3), Gonzalez (midfielder 5 / 1). Trabzonspor: Suspended: Burak (forwad 5 / 8); injured: Paulo Henrique (forwadr 2 / 0), Robert Vittek (forward 1 / 0), Barış Atas (midfielder 0 / 0), Alanzinho (6 ​​midfielder / 0). CSKA Moscow has a score of w0-d1-l1 goals scored 4 goals against 5 Trabzonspor, while has a score of w1-d1-l0 goals scored 2 goals against 1. The coach Leonid Slutski said that the next two games are great and vital importance. So only a modest victory against Trabzonspor can still nourish the hope of qualifying to the next step. The home team has a very good offensive department with the likes of Igor Dzagoev, who are attacking midfielders Zoran Tosic, who give great support to the strikers Vagner Love, Seydou Doumbia. Trabzonspor is participating in this competition only because Fenerbahce was ousted for illegal sport. It is already doing egregious things out of all odds is the first in the standings with a win against Inter Milan and a draw against Lille. The coach Senol Güneş said CSKA Moscow is a very good team with players of international level. At the end I think CSKA Moscow to win the game because it is stronger as a team having people like Vagner Love, Seydou Doumbia latter in great shape. Trabzonspor are unbeaten in 5 matches. Trabzonspor has not lost any of their last 5 away games. :hope:hope:hope

So your saying Rooney should not play away to Liverpool' date=' Everton or City incase he looses his temper? Its the big games like this that the top players should be playing in... Anderson, Carrick, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez, Rooney, Vidic all on the bench, your saying he fielded the most appropriate side possible? No way... Even Rooney posted on Twitter basically saying Fergie didnt show them any respect[/quote'] OK, OK he doesn't care about Liverpool we all submit and agree..;), you don't have to defend the argument against all comers, think it has now been established..:lol

So your saying Rooney should not play away to Liverpool' date=' Everton or City incase he looses his temper? Its the big games like this that the top players should be playing in... Anderson, Carrick, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez, Rooney, Vidic all on the bench, your saying he fielded the most appropriate side possible? No way... Even Rooney posted on Twitter basically saying Fergie didnt show them any respect[/quote'] We all know that Rooney is not the smartest guy on Earth. He surely would have been booked if he played. Carrick does not play good last two years. It was a surprice to see Jones play in the middle but he's Utd's best player so far. Fletcher and Anderson are let's say equal. Park does mutch more defencive jobs than Nani and Valencia. Vidic was not called because of his national team's problems. Danny Welbeck starts almost all the games in front of Henandez and Berbatov... I could not agree that Sir Alex left his best players from the fiercest debry so that they can play tonight at Galati. Maybe Utd's "second squad" will win here with little problems.

We all know that Rooney is not the smartest guy on Earth. He surely would have been booked if he played. Carrick does not play good last two years. It was a surprice to see Jones play in the middle but he's Utd's best player so far. Fletcher and Anderson are let's say equal. Park does mutch more defencive jobs than Nani and Valencia. Vidic was not called because of his national team's problems. Danny Welbeck starts almost all the games in front of Henandez and Berbatov... I could not agree that Sir Alex left his best players from the fiercest debry so that they can play tonight at Galati. Maybe Utd's "second squad" will win here with little problems.
Carrick had a good season last season actually. Jones United's best player so far??? No he has not been United's best player, he has done well since coming but he still has an awful lot to learn. Fletcher is not in the same breath as Anderson! Welbeck, just because he starts games does not mean he is better than Hernandez, he is not in the same league as Chicarito (yet). Fergie didnt rest the players with Galati in mind, he rested them for Galati AND City... He needs to send out a strong side in Romania tonight as United messed up against Basle and 3 points are essential, this game against Galati is more important to win than the Liverpool game was.

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October Jase, reading your corner bet involving man utd -3 on the asian handicap i noticed in Galati's only home match vs Benfica where they lost 1-0, they also lost 8-1 in terms of corners. Considering Utd will be the much stronger team i think odds of 1.77 seem to be good value. One question though, if Utd do have exactly 3 more corners what happens? Is the stake returned?

Jase, reading your corner bet involving man utd -3 on the asian handicap i noticed in Galati's only home match vs Benfica where they lost 1-0, they also lost 8-1 in terms of corners. Considering Utd will be the much stronger team i think odds of 1.77 seem to be good value. One question though, if Utd do have exactly 3 more corners what happens? Is the stake returned?
Yes, stake is returned if utd get exactly 3 more corners.

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October Man United -1.5 AH vs Otelul Galati @ 1.80 (Bet365:6pts) I think United will win comfortably in this one, Fergie rotated for the Liverpool game but I would expect many of those players to return to the side for this one, it really is a must win after 2 draws in the opening games. Rooney will play, and they can partner him with any one of Chicarito/Berbatov/Welbeck, the likes of Nani, Anderson, Valencia were all on the bench on Saturday and could play, plus Vidic returns to take Rio's place. Otelul were beaten in both games so far and they look a very average side, United dont typically run riot away in Europe but I think they'll be comfortable in defence and have the personnel to notch a few goals in this one.

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October Otelul Galati v Manchester United Don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet but listening to Five Live this morning I noticed that this match isn't actually at Galati's home ground. It's 120 miles away at the new stadium that's been built for the UEFA Cup Final in *Bucharest*. Apparently Gelati's home stadium is too small to meet UEFA regulations... What the radio presenters were saying was that there might even be more Man U supporting *Romanians* there than Gelati fans, and it could even end up being like a home match for Utd. With this in mind I think I'll go for United -1.5 and maybe higher on the asian handicap

Otelul Galati v Manchester United Don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet but listening to Five Live this morning I noticed that this match isn't actually at Galati's home ground. It's 120 miles away at the new stadium that's been built for the UEFA Cup Final in Istanbul. Apparently Gelati's home stadium is too small to meet UEFA regulations... What the radio presenters were saying was that there might even be more Man U supporting Turks there than Gelati fans, and it could even end up being like a home match for Utd. With this in mind I think I'll go for United -1.5 and maybe higher on the asian handicap
The UEFA Cup final is in Bucharest and I'm pretty sure that's where tonight's game is as well. No reason to play it in a different country.

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October Real Madrid Vs. Olympique Lyon Selection: Under 3.25 Goals @ 1.90 Pinnacle Stake: 8/10 The market has priced this game as an extremely high scoring match. So high scoring infact that I think the value now lies in backing unders. Real Madrid are in a rich vein of form domestically and unquestionable have the talent to net a fistful of goals. Higuain has been especially hot scoring a hat-trick in 3 of his last 4 games. With that being said their performance in the Champions league has been slightly subdued. Madrids last 2 CL games have been 3-0 and 1-0 wins against Ajax and Dinamo Zagreb. I rate Lyon as being better than both of those teams so I don't think they will be a pushover tonight at the Bernabeu. Lyon's CL games have both ended in unders with a 2-0 over DZ and 0-0 against Ajax away. I believe Remi Garde will set his team out to try and stifle Real Madrid's midfield creativity. With Lyon only looking for a point I believe the 3.25 goal line offers enough value to take in on @ 1.90. Good luck :hope

You say 'The league is inconsequential' and Europe is a separate entity, I understand where you are coming from but the European runs from sides with minor pedigree are becoming less frequent. CL 2010-11 maybe Schalke and Spurs? Still from Germany and England though, strong leagues, 2009-10 Inter were surprise winners but had Mourinho and we have seen since how much of a difference he made to them, and makes to any side.
I wasn't making a case for Villarreal :ok It's the same debate we have every year really, and the fact of the matter is that league football is a different kettle of fish to European football, and that sometimes sides that need a win do exactly that. Punting on a short priced favourite to beat a handicap is merely a way of boosting the odds on offer, and is exactly the same as what we were discussing earlier in the thread with Hitch building his acca full of what most punters see as no value shots, just to boost the accumulated odds. Why is the 1.30'ish on offer for a straight City win too short, yet the - 1.5 AH 'value'? Not saying they won't win 3 or 4 nil, and I agree when we put the case forward Villarreal look all over the shop. But City still have a lot to prove to me in this competition, Villarreal need the points just as bad, and can still put out eleven players.

To JASE82... I wrote my thoughts about today. Today the first day of posting my ideas, but I've been following this forum for about two years.. Could you please tell your favourite matches today ?:gimme
No :D There are many many other better suited punters than me that post their picks up much more than I do these days :ok Have a read of the forum, get involved in the discussions and put up your own thoughts :)

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October I cant understand why Lille has so much money. 93% play Lille to win. Is Lille a very experienced team? Or Inter has no players? Ranieri is a very good coach, to me, and i think that Inter has the quality not to lose. Dinamo Zagreb has a problem when plays against big-history teams, and Ajax is a team. Lay Dinamo. I think that if Bayern could choose which team whould like with in next round, she prefered Napoli and not Man City. I believe it very possible to give Napoli a point.

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October Dynamo Zagreb to WIN @ 13/8 Stanjames Bayern Munich to WIN 10/11 VC I fancy both of these sides to win tonight! Bayern are in great form so far this year and easily disposed of City. Napoli are a decent side but Bayern are scoring for fun and hard to see Napoli keeping a clean sheet tonight, and im not convinced about their attack. Dynamo Zagreb should beat Ajax tonight. They have won 14 of their last 16 home games and only went down 1-0 at home to Real Madrid in the champions leage. Ajax are on a poor run of form with no win from their last 4 games and Zagreb is going to be a very tough place for them to go to. Really fancy a Zagreb win. Doing a double also.

I wasn't making a case for Villarreal :ok It's the same debate we have every year really, and the fact of the matter is that league football is a different kettle of fish to European football, and that sometimes sides that need a win do exactly that. Punting on a short priced favourite to beat a handicap is merely a way of boosting the odds on offer, and is exactly the same as what we were discussing earlier in the thread with Hitch building his acca full of what most punters see as no value shots, just to boost the accumulated odds. Why is the 1.30'ish on offer for a straight City win too short, yet the - 1.5 AH 'value'? Not saying they won't win 3 or 4 nil, and I agree when we put the case forward Villarreal look all over the shop. But City still have a lot to prove to me in this competition, Villarreal need the points just as bad, and can still put out eleven players.
Good point because the Asian Handicap odds are intrinsically linked to the match odds themselves, there will be times where the( -1.5) is preferable over the match odds but if the match odds themselves aren't value in your opinion then it's also highly unlikely that taking them on the Asian Handicap is value. Think Man City are too short here to be honest, not one I'd go about laying though to be honest. Villarreal have been priced up as if a lower mid-table Premier League side, whereas I'd have expect them to be around the level of an Everton or an Aston Villa, games in which Man City where priced up around the 1.45 mark. Admit to not knowing much about Villarreal, but surely they must have some quality to reach the Champions League in the first place.

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October I fancy Villarreal to be a harder test for City than expected tonight. I think theres a big expectance on City to win tonight, and with the added pressure i think this might be a bit of a tighter game than the prices suggest. Dont get me wrong City are more than capable of putting 3-4 past a weakend Villarreal team, like they did to my team, Spurs, but i think a more likely result is well earnt a 1 or 2-0. One thing i've noticed about City, and it was the same last season to a certain extent, is that once they get that first goal they often go on to get 2/3 more. The best examples are their last 2 prem games against Villa and Blackburn, with the first goals taking a while to come and then the rest flowing in the 2nd half. For this reason i'm gonna have a punt on no goal before 27:00 @ 5/6 - Bet365 Only 3 of City's 27 PL goals this season were scored before 27mins, and with an in-form Balotelli suspended i think we'll get a resonably tight first half with City doing the business in the 2nd half :hope

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October CSKA vs Trabzonspor Because of manmade grass at CSKA Moscow stadium, Trabzonspor will have lots of problems. I'm from Turkey but unfortunately, I cannot see Trabzonspor while scoring. Also 3 forward player of Trabzonspor, Vittek, Burak Yilmaz and Henrique is missing for this match. No way to score at that manmade grass, cold wheather and Forwardless Trabzonspor. My final and certain bet is No score from Trabzonspor : 9,5/10 :hope

Good point because the Asian Handicap odds are intrinsically linked to the match odds themselves, there will be times where the( -1.5) is preferable over the match odds but if the match odds themselves aren't value in your opinion then it's also highly unlikely that taking them on the Asian Handicap is value. Think Man City are too short here to be honest, not one I'd go about laying though to be honest. Villarreal have been priced up as if a lower mid-table Premier League side, whereas I'd have expect them to be around the level of an Everton or an Aston Villa, games in which Man City where priced up around the 1.45 mark. Admit to not knowing much about Villarreal, but surely they must have some quality to reach the Champions League in the first place.
Man City were priced at 1.33 vs Aston Villa the weekend. The asian handicap I took for that game is exactly the same price with Bet365 as the one I've taken tonight (1.5).

EventDinamo Zagreb - Ajax
SelectionFull time (FR) 1:1
Strength5/10
Date18/10/2011
Bookmaker/PriceBwin @ 6.00
Reasoning Well Championship League finally came in Zagreb.Dinamo in the first two rounds suffered defeats against Real Madrid and Lyon, so they are still with no points failed to achieve any goal.On the other side Ajax has one point achived at home against Lyon (0:0) and also unable to score.Both teams are coming into this match from a slippy form,Dinamo lost to Zadar far lower opponent which was very unexpected defeat,Ajax was unable to beat AZ at their home ground,Ajax is 4 matches without a victory almost a month.If we concider just home championship then Dinamo is a beast at Maksimir 9 victories in a row.Last time when they lost here was on 15.12.2010 against PAOK 0:1.Up till now these two teams met 6 times and both were more efficient playing on the road.Under 3 mathces at Maksimir Ajax won even 2 times just like Dinamo did at Amsterdam Arena,as a metter of fact Ajax havent lost a match at Maksimir.In this game in my opinion there are no favorites,i could say that at the moment they are on the same level.In this game both will try to impose their game which will end up as a hard fight on the middlefield.Both teams are chasing for points,judging by he setup by formations both are very offensive but at the same time it will be very carefull approach.I think that in the end both will score and share a point.So am taking a risk here 1:1 at the end.

Re: Champions League > Tuesday 18th October Basel Vs. Benfica Selection: Over 2.5 Goals @ 1.80 Stan James Stake: 8/10 I really like the look of overs in this match as both teams are attack minded and will be gunning for a victory. Basel nearly caused a big upset last time out in the CL when they drew 3-3 with Man Utd. Their other game in the CL finished in overs as well with a 2-1 victory over Otelul Galati. In the domestic league Basel have been ripping teams apart with 4/5 of their last games finishing in overs with an average of 3.6 goals per game. Despite this Benfica come into this game as favorites given the superiority of the Portuguese league. Benfica have drawn 1-1 with Man Utd and won 1-0 against Otelul Galati in this years CL group stages. Their domestic games have been much higher scoring affairs with their last 4/5 finishing in overs with an average of 3.8 goals per game. With the favourite Man Utd drawing their first 2 games group C is wide open. I see both teams being eager to secure 3 points to propel themselves towards group qualification. Good luck :hope

good reasoning here and in Europe in recent campaigns they have been under on the road, the one thing about this particular European campaign compared to past seasons, Manchester United have gotten off to a slow start. They've started fast in past seasons and have led the group from the start. So maybe the potential of Goal Difference coming into play crosses Fergie's mind?
Hmm personally I don't think goal difference will be too much of a concern, I think he would be more concerned with making substitutes and making sure those playing don't get too knackered once the game is effectively won. I reckon Fergie will still be confident of progressing without needing goal difference, two draws in the first two games is not the best start but it's not the worst either. And if they finish second in the group it's not the end of the world either, they will need to beat the best teams in the competition one way or another at some point if they are to win it.

Good analysis, AH can be value depsite of badds odds on 1x2 for high scoring teams or leagues, i think it s the case for city,villareal has been a mess from what i have seen so far this year. They have few injuries pbeme and can t see them offering an offfensive thread to city.I really dont rate them better as a midtable team in PL, and have the feeling they almost give up after two losses. Cant see city not winning here and seeing a though evening for the spanish, city is really a class above imo. so my bet city-1.25 pinny 1.85 6/10:hope

Dynamo Zagreb to WIN @ 13/8 Stanjames Dynamo Zagreb should beat Ajax tonight. They have won 14 of their last 16 home games and only went down 1-0 at home to Real Madrid in the champions leage. Ajax are on a poor run of form with no win from their last 4 games and Zagreb is going to be a very tough place for them to go to. Really fancy a Zagreb win.
I just want to... lets say warn you about Dinamo. Don't judge their strength based on their form in their domestic league. The only team that comes near them is Hajduk Split, but even they are no match for Dinamo. I know becouse I'm from Serbia and we have a simmilar situation here, only we have two teams on top. Dinamo is a strong side, but I think not strong enough to beat Ajax tonight.

I just want to... lets say warn you about Dinamo. Don't judge their strength based on their form in their domestic league. The only team that comes near them is Hajduk Split' date=' but even they are no match for Dinamo. I know becouse I'm from Serbia and we have a simmilar situation here, only we have two teams on top. Dinamo is a strong side, but I think not strong enough to beat Ajax tonight.[/quote'] I disagree! They gave Madrid a very good game...