** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix

kevshat

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix

You can't blame Sky forthe hype as they are doing a great job of promoting darts, however, it also put me off backing Taylor. They didn't mention too often the amount of times Taylor has now beaten Nicholson since losing to him!
Are they? They are doing a great job of promoting 3-4 players as if they are the only ones who can play darts but I'm not so sure about the game as a whole. Their coverage is massively Phil Taylor biased which is understandable because they sponsor him and he's the best there will ever be but there are other players. I'll refrain from totally criticising their promoting of darts until we've seen their coverage of the Grand Slam next month. In saying that from a betting point of view they can continue to make people believe there's only 3-4 players worth a look as I can continue to profit on the players who are completely underrated and get relatively little coverage. They wouldn't mention Taylor's wins over Nicholson since the Matchplay because they weren't on Sky and as far as most of the Sky coverage is concerned if it didn't happen on Sky it didn't happen at all!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without doubt he is an arse, but you have to say its probably worked for him and I can see him being a wild card entry for the premier league this year. I'm thinking about opposing Wade again and taking Andy Smith currently @ 4.33 on Skybet. :unsure :unsure :unsure The odds just look too big. Despite Wade coming back and stinging me against VDV, he still isn't on top of his game. If VDV had taken his chances then Wade would be out. Smith played very well in taking out Barney and he has a chance tonight - certainly better than the odds suggest.
Fresh from loosing the VDV bet I have decided that opposing Wade straight is just too big a risk. Instead I will try with a larger stake and take a 2.5 sets handicap in my favour. Smith certainly has the game to live with Wade, and anything like a repeat of the previous performances from both should see this come in. 4pts Wade v Smith - Smith (+2.5set) @1.83 Skybet

They wouldn't mention Taylor's wins over Nicholson since the Matchplay because they weren't on Sky and as far as most of the Sky coverage is concerned if it didn't happen on Sky it didn't happen at all!
They often mention the BDO (or at least, certain commentators often mention "the other side")

They often mention the BDO (or at least' date=' certain commentators often mention "the other side")[/quote'] They mention when someone won the BDO world championship but you never really hear about what someone like a John Henderson or a Dave Chisnall won over there. They are generally just passed off as newcomers, although not so much Chisnall as he did make the final. I think the perfect case was when Whitlock made the PDC WC final last year it was made out to be the greatest surprise of all time yet Whitlock had been beating the top players at the IDL and GSOD for a good while. I just think it's a case that most of the commentators don't follow the BDO rather than a genuine avoidance of it as John Gwynne is generally the only one who mentions it and he's the only one of the non playing commentators who really follows the game inside out. I think Gwynne MC's a lot of exhibitions involving BDO players and I know he sponsors one or two as well. As I said before, it will be interesting to see how much coverage the BDO gets in Sky's GSOD coverage next month.

Are they? They are doing a great job of promoting 3-4 players as if they are the only ones who can play darts but I'm not so sure about the game as a whole. Their coverage is massively Phil Taylor biased which is understandable because they sponsor him and he's the best there will ever be but there are other players. I'll refrain from totally criticising their promoting of darts until we've seen their coverage of the Grand Slam next month. In saying that from a betting point of view they can continue to make people believe there's only 3-4 players worth a look as I can continue to profit on the players who are completely underrated and get relatively little coverage. They wouldn't mention Taylor's wins over Nicholson since the Matchplay because they weren't on Sky and as far as most of the Sky coverage is concerned if it didn't happen on Sky it didn't happen at all!
Yes I think they are. They've reinvented the sport for TV and are pumping money in. I think money can be made on individual matches, however, it does tend to be the 3 or 4 players who win the main titles. Anything with a prize fund of more than £50K this year has been won by Taylor, Lewis, Wade or Anderson. Last year was Taylor x 5, Wade x 2 Nicholson (an upset) and Scott Waites in the Grand Slam.

A better day for me on Thursday. +10.38 for the night and up to +21.38 overall now with a 25/1 shot on a player who is 10/11 on Friday. I still like him even at that price though and he's one of 3 bets for Friday. I may be back with more on Friday when the last 2 QFs are fully priced up. 5pts B.Dolan to beat J.Henderson 5/4 William Hill I've been trying to work out all night how Brendan Dolan is the outsider in this match and I haven't managed it yet. To my eyes he's hit doubles much better than Henderson, he's scored better than Henderson and he's checked out better than Henderson and yet he's still 5/4. If we throw in that he's much more experienced in the PDC than Henderson and even more experienced in this format than him and it looks a very strange price indeed. In many ways I think Dolan has been the player of the week so far but because bigger stories have happened on nights in which he's played he's gone relatively unnoticed. Against John Part he never let him in and that's hard to do against someone of Part's class. Henderson mentioned in his interview after the Newton game that it's in his mind when he's so far ahead and he struggles to close matches out. I don't like that one bit and it only further gives me confidence in Dolan. Henderson did well to beat Newton but Newton had darts for the 2nd set which if he had have taken I'm sure he would've won 3-1. Henderson has hit a fair few 140's this week but he's hit a hell of a lot of 1s and 5s whereas Dolan for the most part has scored as many big shots and avoided the 1s and 5s. If Dolan plays like he has in the earlier matches I'm very confident he will win this. I just don't like Henderson on the doubles and I think that will cost him this one. 3pts J.Wade vs A.Smith - Over 5.5 sets Evs Blue Square Only Vincent van der Voort probably knows how James Wade isn't out of this tournament yet but Wade won't be complaining. To be fair to the defending champion when he arse was against the ropes he pulled out his best arrers which bodes well for him should destiny seal his date with Taylor in the final. Andy Smith played well against Barney in the last round and while everyone said Barney wasn't at his best I'm not sure he would've won even if he was because the Pieman didn't miss a lot. The key to this match will be how well Smith starts the legs. With Wade's doubling prowess Smith needs to get away well. If he does he'll keep up with Wade and this will be close. I'm not so sure if Smith has the consistency on his doubles over 7 sets to win the match but I do think he can win 2 sets. When the two met in the Matchplay last year Wade only won 10-8 and I think whoever wins this, and I would expect it to be Wade, I expect it to be 4-2 or 4-3. 4pts M.Hylton to beat R.Burnett 10/11 Ladbrokes I'm already on Hylton at 25/1 for this match but the price of him here is so big that I have to have a bit on him here. I think he's no worse than a 4/6 shot in this match and I'd be surprised if he goes off any bigger than that. He has had a wonderful year in the majors and let's remember this is the first year he's played any of the PDC majors. He made the last 16 in the World Championship where he beat Colin Lloyd and Steve Beaton along the way and then he made the quarter finals of the UK Open. He went out in the first round of the Matchplay but he pushed Taylor closer than anyone that week. This week he's seen off Mark Walsh and Simon Whitlock impressively. He's taken a set to get going but when he has got going he hasn't missed a lot and that's exactly what I expect from him here. I've been watching darts for years and years and it's great to see Richie Burnett back in the bigtime and playing well and he has played well this week. He's hitting his finishing doubles really impressively and that's good to see and he's scoring well too. He's in a confident frame of mind and looking relaxed which bodes well for him long term however he's up against an opponent here who plays the board really well and who I believe will be in the top 12 players in the world when he's completed a full 2 years on the circuit. Burnett hasn't done much wrong this week but my concern with him is we don't know how well he played in the second round because from 1-1 in sets Ovens couldn't hit a starting double if it was as big as Paul Nicholson's gob. I don't see Hylton going awol on that double and as long as he does start well his scoring power should see the left hander into the semi final here.
And one more to compliment these. 4pts M.Webster (+2.5 sets) to beat P.Taylor 11/10 Skybet 1pt M.Webster to beat P.Taylor 9/2 Skybet Mark Webster has looked very classy this week and I think he's primed to upset Taylor for a second time in the last nine months. So much of this tournament is about hitting doubles and not many do that better than Mark Webster, as he's shown this week. That coupled with his steady but consistent scoring makes him a tough nut to crack in this format. Taylor was in easy street last night against a Nicholson's whos bark was a lot bigger than his bite but he only just came through against Wright in the opening round. What interests me here as a Webster fan and backer is the amount of starting doubles Taylor missed last night. There was at least four occasions last night when Taylor didn't start with his first three darts. Nicholson never punished him but Webster will. Webster is a very good darts player and the way he hits doubles I find it hard to believe he won't keep this close and if it is close there's no reason why he can't pip Taylor on the line.

Anything with a prize fund of more than £50K this year has been won by Taylor' date=' Lewis, Wade or Anderson. Last year was Taylor x 5, Wade x 2 [b']Nicholson (an upset) and Scott Waites in the Grand Slam.
Nicholson tipped on here too as I recall. 100/1 winner.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Another quick bet before the action kicks off tonight: Hylton vs Burnett match take Hylton-1.5 on handicap pays 2.5 @Ladbrokes Hylton is playing superb at the moment & was shown last night when he took Simon Whitlock apart.Burnett has done very well so far to reach the Quarter-Finals but i think on present form Hylton is a class above.Can't see Hylton losing more than 2 legs tonight vs Burnett so at 2.5 I'm all over that :ok Good luck all :hope

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix I am going to join the fray with one selection. (3/10) Mark Webster (+2.5 sets) to beat Phil Taylor @ 2.10 with Skybet This should be at lower price imo if you take everything into account. Webster is one of the classier players in the game right now and covering this handicap is not beyond him right now. He is not bothered by this format and I expect him to hold his throw in most cases, which should lead to a competitive encounter.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Great work Big X :clap:clap Not a good night in the end last night. Was all going so well until that Taylor 180 and then 101 out to win the second set against Webster and from there it went tits up majorly. -0.75 for the night which feels like more with the 25/1 outright failing. Still +20.63 overall though ahead of the semi finals where I'll take one. 6pts P.Taylor (-3.5 sets) to beat R.Burnett 8/11 William Hill Phil Taylor has cruised into the semi finals after that 164 to see off Peter Wright in the first round and I don't see him slowing up now. Richie Burnett has been excellent in the tournament so far with his finishing very eyecatching but I believe his run ends tonight. Burnett won't outscore Taylor in this match and I find it hard to believe he'll consistently outfinish him so barring any major mares on his starting double this should be an easy night for the 15 times world champion. It took a career best from Adrian Lewis to beat Taylor in this round last year but Burnett doesn't have that kind of game in his locker. It's been great to see Richie back in the big time and long may that continue in the future but I think he goes out tonight and goes out without winning more than a set.

Great work Big X :clap:clap Not a good night in the end last night. Was all going so well until that Taylor 180 and then 101 out to win the second set against Webster and from there it went tits up majorly. -0.75 for the night which feels like more with the 25/1 outright failing. Still +20.63 overall though ahead of the semi finals where I'll take one. 6pts P.Taylor (-3.5 sets) to beat R.Burnett 8/11 William Hill Phil Taylor has cruised into the semi finals after that 164 to see off Peter Wright in the first round and I don't see him slowing up now. Richie Burnett has been excellent in the tournament so far with his finishing very eyecatching but I believe his run ends tonight. Burnett won't outscore Taylor in this match and I find it hard to believe he'll consistently outfinish him so barring any major mares on his starting double this should be an easy night for the 15 times world champion. It took a career best from Adrian Lewis to beat Taylor in this round last year but Burnett doesn't have that kind of game in his locker. It's been great to see Richie back in the big time and long may that continue in the future but I think he goes out tonight and goes out without winning more than a set.
Just wanted to point out that StanJames offer the same handicap @ 2.00 (better price) :ok

Look like someone saved me a bit of work.Indeed,the previous poster knows his stuff. Andy Smith told me to back a 9 darter in the tournament and although I wasnt overly keen with the double start format,at odds of 8/1 with Betfred it represents good value.The likes of Part,Taylor,Barnie and Lewis should give a good run for that bet. Best of luck to all
I almost forgot about that one.Looks like I owe the pieman a few pies

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix 1pt Wade to beat Dolan (in-running, 1-4; 1-0) @ 5/2 Wade's got the experience and he's got the titles, he knows what it takes to get it done and is often a slow-starter in his games. This is unchartered territory for the Northern Irishman and I think Wade's a touch of value at 5/2 to bounce back from this perilous position

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Everytime I take Taylor on a - handicap it seems like he always misses doubles to let the opponent get the minimum needed to cover the cap yet when I oppose him on a + handicap he hits everything :wall. +14.63 for the week now. I'll take 2 in the final. 4pts Over 7.5 sets 10/11 Blue Square Every match Brendan Dolan has played this week he's defied expectations and there's absolutely no reason why he can't go out tonight and really enjoy this final. He's made it into his first ever major final, he's qualified for the Grand Slam and to top it all off he's slammed in arguably the best 9 dart finish ever along the way. He more than merits his place in this final alongside the great one. Taylor has cruised into this final and has a tournament average of over 100 as he looks to have the bit between his teeth to ensure a third successive major championship. He has missed one or two doubles this week but other than Peter Wright he hasn't played anyone who had kept up with him in the scoring which Dolan looks like he could do tonight. Dolan has outscored Taylor in 180's and 140's throughout the event and while he's played more legs it's as I always say, you very rarely score a 180 and lose the leg, particularly in this format where the first throw of a leg takes away part of the scoring phase. Dolan missed a few doubles in the semi final which he won't be able to do if he wants to win this final but the fact he had a 29% finishing rate against Wade showed how much be outscored a very solid scorer in the Machine. If Dolan's performs like he has all week then I think he's playing well enough to take 2 sets from this final. 6pts P.Taylor's 3 dart average - Over 97.5 5/6 VC I'm quite surprised this line is as low as it is even in the double start format. Taylor has averaged over 100 in three of the four matches this week and the only one he didn't average it in was the Nicholson match where Nicholson was crap and the match itself seemed to suffer for the hype. This is likely to be one of the less hyped major finals ever but Taylor will see the chance of pocketing another £100k and another major title here and I don't think his game will drop. He showed against Wright in the first round that he can average over a ton under pressure and we've seen him cover this line even in one sided finals such as when he beat Barneveld 6-2 in 2008. He's playing arguably his best darts right now even allowing for the fact that some doubles are missed still. In total in starting and finishing he missed 28 darts at a double against Burnett, and 21 against Webster and still scored over a ton in both matches. Whether he averages a ton tonight or not I'm not sure but if he doesn't he'll be close to it and I expect the Power's end average to be over 97.50 by the time the winning double is landed this evening.

The first time I have managed to hit both my bets in the same night and it puts me back up for the week. If only just at +5pts. Keep it going Kev :ok
I can't add up. I'm actually +9pts for the tournament. I will have one more tonight, but only small stakes to ensure I finish up in profit. 2pts Dolan v Taylor - Dolan Most 180's @ 2.62 Skybet As Kev has said Dolan has outscored Taylor on the 180's in this tournament, and I see no reason why he can't come close this evening. Taylor - 4,3,1,4 = 12 Dolan - 3,4,4,3 = 14 Because of the way Taylor uses the lie he quite often switches even after hitting a treble 20 with the first dart. He is able to hammer opponents without scoring the 180's, and is not as prolific as some might think. He only scored one 180 in taking out Nicholson and something like that again this evening will suit me fine. Of course with Taylor he can always go ballistic and this bet could get blown away. However with the odds on offer I am willing to have a little play

I can't add up. I'm actually +9pts for the tournament. I will have one more tonight, but only small stakes to ensure I finish up in profit. 2pts Dolan v Taylor - Dolan Most 180's @ 2.62 Skybet
10 - 4 to Dolan in the end so much easier than expected. :cigar Leaves me @ +11.81 for the tournament so happy with that. Disappointed with myself for my staking on the Nicholson bet but other than that I can't complain. Some good shouts in here by others and I think a profitable thread all round :cheers Bring on the GSOD in November

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Dolan did the business for me last night but Taylor was absolute crap. His 90.29 average was abysmal by his standards so a small loss on the final to leave me with an overall total of +12.27pts for the week. Good shout on the Dolan 180's Big X and well done on a good week. Good work by everyone who made a profit this week. Roll on the Grand Slam :ok