** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England: Championship Sept 27-28

aliando

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 hmmm, seems like Pompey are the midweek public bet, with the odds dropping across the board. Around evens with some firms, which is far too short for me currently. I'd still make us about 2.4 to win because we don't create that many chances, and all it takes is for an early Peterborough goal, which would mean we are unlikely to win the game. I can't rule out the possibility of them scoring first, despite how solid our defense is. The unders is priced criminally high @ evens, which is well worth a shot. Anyone that has been paying attention to our home games would know we usually play with a couple of defensive players in centre midfield, keep it tight, and don't create too many chances. Which makes anything above 1.7 for under 2.5 goals value IMO. Actually as I type this I see a reason for the dropping odds - We have signed Bjorn Helge Riise on loan. Good signing at this level. I have my doubts as to whether he'll start tonight because he's not played much football, but when he does take part, he'll likely play in centre midfield, giving us much more creativity from that area.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 copied from my thread: My other football leagues #9 Derby County - Barnsley Like the odds here as i think they do offer some value. Derby performing well and lying third in league. Barnsley on 5 game unbeaten run, but with some injury worries as their bad attack is limited for two strikers that would play if healthy. Also defender Haynes out, while Derby have goalie back, Kilbane out -might be a worry, but reg. def. Shackell also back. It is the value and also the fact that Barnsley lost to both top teams so far in league, both at home - Southampton and Middlesbrough i see Derby getting a needed win tonight. Derby County -0.5 @ 2.03 sbobet #10 West Ham United - Ipswich Town Big hcp but still looking at both squads I do believe West Ham are on Premiership level. With players that have experience on top level of football and good depth and despite the unsure apperance of two key players they should have enough quality to overcome solid Ipswich town. Hcp is set just right, but still i believe in worst case money will be returned to account. West Ham United -1 @ 1.94 sbobet

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28

Coventry vs Blackpool Away side lost from speed and has just 1 win in last 6 games. They have lost to Portsmouth as I predicted, but they can get more from this game. Coventry has again McSheffrey and McDonald in the squad, but I do not think they will have an easier game than the one with Reading in the weekend. On the contrary ... Brett Ormerod has been rested in the weekend and will surely start for the Tangerines. There are no injuries for them. away 0 AH @ 1.83 with Ladbrokes
This bet for me is probably the best on a bad coupon, Blackpool can be quite unpredictable at times but away from home they are always a threat. Coventry have improved somewhat in recent weeks and if everyone is fit then their first team is not as bad as some may believe. I didn't watch the Portsmouth V Blackpool game but it is my understanding that Blackpool were a little unlucky not to get a point from the game. If Holloway can get the correct response tonight then this game is going to be tough for the home side.

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Portsmouth v Peterboro Home @ 2.10 Haven't got much to add to what has already been said really except i think Peterboro will start settling back now after a quite a decent start. Derby v Barnsley Draw @ 3.40 I backed Derby last weekend v Millwall when the odds were very strange (well i thought i did until realised i hadn't after scores came in so premise still stands, cost me £120 that did aswell, still raw :lol) Anyway, the general consensus seems to be until recently that Derby have more points than their performances warrant. I said saturday, i'm not sure if that's good or bad but either way it's impossible for a team to win every game and i think tonight may well be the night they slip up. They've drawn 2 and lost 1 of the last 3 v Barnsley at pride park so the signs are good to oppose Derby. Obviosuly, i don't just go by H2H, and i although Barnsley are abit hit and miss they can put in some solid performances. Like any draw, it's difficult to justify the bet but overall i feel Barnsley will come for a point and likely get it as i don't think Derby are yet creative or patient enough to grind these kind of games out regularly at home. :hope

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Derby County - Barnsley=1 (2.00) bet365 Derby County position 3° points 18 Barnsley position 17° points 8 Preview: Derby County: absent: Kevin Kilbane (midfielder 6 / 1), Nathan Tyson (Striker 1 / 0). Barnsley: injured Matt Done (midfielder 5 / 1), Danny Haynes (striker 6 / 0), Craig Davies (forward 4 / 0), Reuben Noble-Lazarus (forward 2 / 0), Goran Lovre (midfielder 0 / 0). The Derby County has a score in the home of w3-d0-l1 goals scored 9 goals against 3 while Barnsley has a score out of the house w1-d3-l0 goals scored 3 goals against 2. The Derby continues its journey so well, both the defense department, which has been only 6 goals in 8 games (second best defense in the tournament) is the offensive department with 13 goals for the significant collateral damage. While Barnsley started the championship so bad has created significant problems in finalizing the game and with only 6 goals in eight games. This problem will continue to score goals in my opinion very important for absences in the offensive department. At the end I think the home team to win the game. Stumble some curiosities: Earlier last season: 0-0 (Derby County at home) and 1-1 (Barnsley at home). Barnsley has not lost any of their last 7 away games. Steven Davies is the leading scorer for Derby County with his 3 goals. Jacob Butterfield has made ​​2 for Barnsley. :hope:hope:hope

Portsmouth v Peterboro Home @ 2.10 Haven't got much to add to what has already been said really except i think Peterboro will start settling back now after a quite a decent start. Derby v Barnsley Draw @ 3.40 I backed Derby last weekend v Millwall when the odds were very strange (well i thought i did until realised i hadn't after scores came in so premise still stands, cost me £120 that did aswell, still raw :lol) Anyway, the general consensus seems to be until recently that Derby have more points than their performances warrant. I said saturday, i'm not sure if that's good or bad but either way it's impossible for a team to win every game and i think tonight may well be the night they slip up. They've drawn 2 and lost 1 of the last 3 v Barnsley at pride park so the signs are good to oppose Derby. Obviosuly, i don't just go by H2H, and i although Barnsley are abit hit and miss they can put in some solid performances. Like any draw, it's difficult to justify the bet but overall i feel Barnsley will come for a point and likely get it as i don't think Derby are yet creative or patient enough to grind these kind of games out regularly at home. :hope
Same logic with Braintree in Conference, go and check that too ;) I watched Nottingham Forrest vs Derby County and I understood nothing. Ward was the key man in the whole game, in rest, Derby played like a Conference team.

Agreed. Don't know which bookie I'll use yet but it's around the 1.80 mark. Sport has covered the Millwall problems, and Watford are clearly a side that prefers being on the road, with only a point against Birmingham to their name so far at Vicarage Road, and three defeats without scoring. Fingers crossed this'll be the drab affair we both expect. I like Hull tonight on the AH +1, but @ 1.19 (Bet365) that's not really that appealing to most. Good acca material though. Like I mentioned earlier, Donny did win on Saturday but it took a moment of class from Oster to settle things, and I don't see 'em being as lucky against a Hull team that is usually quite a tough cookie away from the KC.
Just saw the Oster goal and it was a lucky deflected one :\ Where did I read it was a pearler? :lol Strengthens my belief in Hull, anyhow.

Same logic with Braintree in Conference, go and check that too ;) I watched Nottingham Forrest vs Derby County and I understood nothing. Ward was the key man in the whole game, in rest, Derby played like a Conference team.
Coule we have a "dumbest statement of the year" thread and put this as number 1 ? Derby hammer Millwall 3-0 in the championship playing conference football :lol

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Bristol City v Reading Value is with the home side here. They've had a pretty bad start to the season, barring the away win at Leicester. They fought back well to gain a point against an in-form, good away side in Hull City, and this could be a spark to get their season up and running. I won't go listing their side but they do have quality players (Maynard up top, 2 good wingers). Their defence looks shaky, but Reading haven't exactly been scoring freely. They look a different team to last year, without Mills (and to a lesser extent Khizanishvili) their defence especially looks weak. Factor in no Long, and their best creative player Kebe missing, I don't see why Bristol City are such generous odds. Reading drew against a poor Coventry side on their last outing so I am happy to take Bristol City on the AH. Bristol City0 @ 2.20 with 188bet (4/10)

Coule we have a "dumbest statement of the year" thread and put this as number 1 ? Derby hammer Millwall 3-0 in the championship playing conference football :lol
You can use underline to what I have said, then printed and read it twice a day! Have you watched that game, really? Defending and throwing away the ball when getting it, is not exactly like a Championship team, does it? On 3rd spot in Championship you are supposed to play football, not playing hide and seek like Nigel Clough's team. Hope that Barnsley smash them for good! And the next 5-6 teams that will be meeting them!

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Brighton v Crystal Palace I can't see why Brighton are as short as 1.6-1.7 tonight. The gap in quality is minimal, if anything. Brighton are going through what we can call their first "sticky patch" of the season and it is anyone's guess how they will react to that. It's not uncommon for Championship sides to go on long losing streaks, then long unbeaten streaks, etc. Palace were unlucky against Donny but still quite poor, and Freedman will be looking for a reaction. They're on a 3-match losing streak in the Championship, but wins against Wigan and Boro in the cup are promising signs. Palace do have a poor away record but they have actually not lost by more than 1 goal away since January, plus they've already won as many away from home this season as they did all last season. Brighton have been riding the crest of a wave since promotion but the gloss may have worn off now, and it's back to reality. Palace have a good record against Brighton and have vastly improved since Freedman came in, and I'm happy to take Palace with the draw at excellent odds. Crystal Palace+0.5 @ 2.36 with 188bet (4 units)

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 On Derby (as everyone seems to be arguing about it): odds seem about right. Derby have been playing above themselves, but Clough is doing a good job. Barnsley are a similar level, and playing well at the moment.. wouldn't surprise me to see any result here. I'd be looking for 2.4 on Derby.

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Fancy Bristol City can hold Reading. Royals still very much over-rated for me if you look at their results. Couldn't win @ Coventry on Saturday and think Bristol City will be better in the long-run than Sky Blues. City no great shakes either, but a decent price DNB/lay Reading Also, a bit more 'out there' (!) fancy Forest to make it consecutive away wins @ Burnley. Burnley still not won at home in league, and Forest showed some heart against Newcastle and Watford. Would be very surprised to see them lose, even if can't trust them to win. Again lay Burnley a good option/Forest DNB, but Forest big enough outright price to warrant a bet also. Thought about West Ham but too short, and Derby, but something keeps making me think they'll blow up soon enough Also think that there is some value in unders at Fratton Park - Portsmouth haven't gone over 2.5 in any home match this season, while despite the fact that Posh are well known goalscorers, they haven't gone over 2.5 in five bar a 2-1 home win v Burnley. No Tomlin for Posh. No Kitson or Varney for Pompy.

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Derby - Barnsley: Draw @ 3.40 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Derby is the only team in the league that hasn't played to a draw result yet (overall record: 6-0-2). On the other hand, Barnsley has the most draws in the league (overall record: 1-5-2) including 4 consecutive draws in the last 4 matches. Last season, this fixture ended in a 0-0 draw and the reverse fixture, at Barnsley, ended in a 1-1 draw. Derby has had a good set of results, but the odds are too short against a team that hasn't lost in 75% of its matches. The draw represents value, I think. Watford - Millwall: Draw @ 3.40 (Sky Bet) 10/10 The teams are in 19th and 20th place repectively and have almost identical statistics for their performance thus far. Watford has 3/5 draws in its most recent matches and Millwall has 2/5 draws in its most recent matches. The hosts have a 0-1-3 home record and the guests have a 0-1-3 away record. Both teams are coming off losses in their last match and I think the priority will be not to lose which increases the chances of the draw result.

You can use underline to what I have said, then printed and read it twice a day! Have you watched that game, really? Defending and throwing away the ball when getting it, is not exactly like a Championship team, does it? On 3rd spot in Championship you are supposed to play football, not playing hide and seek like Nigel Clough's team. Hope that Barnsley smash them for good! And the next 5-6 teams that will be meeting them!
We were down to ten men, what did you really expect? Even then we still created the best chance of the game, Forest created nothing all game.

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Coventry v Blackpool (A) 2.54 Pinnacle A last minute penalty miss against Reading on Saturday, but a win wouldn't really have been deserved. Reading missed a penalty of their own at 1-1, had they scored Im sure that would have been that. We deserve to be where we are at the bottom end of the table and its hard to see where wins are going to come from this season. Blackpool created a few good chances in losing a close game at Portsmouth and I think there is value on the away win here. Brett Omerod could be back for the visitors which would be a welcome boost for them.

Event Doncaster - Hull City
Selection Hull City 0.00 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 27/09/2011
Bookmaker/Price Canbet @ 1.97
Reasoning Bookmakers are giving the favouritism in this game to the hosts. Favouritism to the bottom placed Doncaster just because they appointed Dean saunders as new coach and got a win in his debut. They continue to be the bottom placed with one of the poorest starts of the last two decades. I think they are a big contender to relegation. Beside that they won't count with injured Chris Brown' date=' James Chambers, Martin Woods and Adam Lockwood. On the other side we have Hull City, with no confirmed absences, one of the best teams in this Championship, which is fighting for a play-off place. In the last four games they got three wins and a draw and i don't think this travel to the bottom placed will give them a defeat.
If Soccerway is accurate, after eight games, Chambers and Lockwood have yet to appear this season, Woods has played one game, and Brown has played three. So what is your point, exactly? Sharp is back, which should make them stronger, and their long-term missings don't hurt them more this game than any other game.

Hi Guys I am tempted by a multiple enhanced accumulator tonight and I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to betting wondered what your thoughts were on HULL DERBY BLACKPOOL BURNLEY ALL TO WIN 35/1 WITH SKY BET
My thoughts are that it is hard enough pick one game in the Championship, you really think you can pick four?

Guess that answers my question.....:notworthy
Lol. Well, if you want me to back this up a bit, consider this. In the Championship this year, I've been keeping track, and in all games in which an underdog has been @ +300 or above (American odds), dogs have won 12, drawn 11 and the favorites have won 19. Average odds of the dogs in those 42 games: +400.

Hi Guys I am tempted by a multiple enhanced accumulator tonight and I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to betting wondered what your thoughts were on HULL DERBY BLACKPOOL BURNLEY ALL TO WIN 35/1 WITH SKY BET
Would be better if you gave us some idea why you think that accy is a good thing mate. It's pretty hard to give views on a bet if you don't know why somone thinks it's worthwhile in the first place. :ok
Does this forum ever post any over plays?
Yep, and you're more than welcome to put a few of your own up as well. ;)

Brighton & Hove Albion V Crystal Palace The two arch enemies clash for the first time in 6 years (I think) and I'm afraid to say that the home side will probably have a slight edge going into this fierce derby clash. Brighton, Middlesbrough and to a slightly lesser extent West Ham have been the true nightmare opponents for championship teams thus far this season IMO. Southampton are flying high and I would expect them to finish in the top 6 for sure but they are in a slightly false position as the fixture list has been very kind to them, we'll save that debate for another day. The point is Gus Poyet is one of very few managers in this league that has his team playing exactly how he wants them to play. Every Brighton player knows his job and is full of confidence at the momment. Opponents often find it difficult to play their own game V Brighton as they are so busy worrying about the opposition. One possible weakness for Brighton (and I am clutching at straws here) could be their defence. They conceeded 3 against Leeds last time around and Palace certainly have the firepower to unsettle them in this area. Palace come into this match off the back of 3 straight league defeats, all marginal and the Doncaster loss was particularly hard to stomach. Palace are gonna have to be at their absolute best to get anything from this game but I would agree with second sight that the derby factor may just help us a little. The best price you can currently get on Brighton is 7/10 and that is no value whatsoever. If you're brave enough to back Palace then +0.75 is available @ 8/7 with Betdaq. To summarise I don't recommend betting on this game and most sensible punters will swerve this one. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, Moxey, Ambrose, Wright, Jedinak, Parr, Scannell, Murray If I had to bet on this game: I would feel annoyed. Feeling saucy: Glenn Murray anytime goalscorer @ 11/4 (William Hill)
FT: Brighton 1-3 Crystal Palace, simply incredible, magnificent result for us! I think this game will be in the Palace hall of fame for sure! inflicting Brighton's first league defeat at the Amex. Brighton started very well and took an early lead but clearly a lot of high intensity games in quick succession took their toll and Palace grew stronger and stronger as the game went on. Excellent substitutions again from Freedman, fantastic goal from Zaha to equalise, Dazza back on the scoresheet and to top it all off Murray returns to haunt his old club with a goal. Well done to those who were brave enough to back Palace here, I'm convinced we have a great manager in Dougie Freedman and our whole squad is looking very strong indeed.

Bristol City v Reading Value is with the home side here. They've had a pretty bad start to the season, barring the away win at Leicester. They fought back well to gain a point against an in-form, good away side in Hull City, and this could be a spark to get their season up and running. I won't go listing their side but they do have quality players (Maynard up top, 2 good wingers). Their defence looks shaky, but Reading haven't exactly been scoring freely. They look a different team to last year, without Mills (and to a lesser extent Khizanishvili) their defence especially looks weak. Factor in no Long, and their best creative player Kebe missing, I don't see why Bristol City are such generous odds. Reading drew against a poor Coventry side on their last outing so I am happy to take Bristol City on the AH. Bristol City0 @ 2.20 with 188bet (4/10)
Brighton v Crystal Palace I can't see why Brighton are as short as 1.6-1.7 tonight. The gap in quality is minimal, if anything. Brighton are going through what we can call their first "sticky patch" of the season and it is anyone's guess how they will react to that. It's not uncommon for Championship sides to go on long losing streaks, then long unbeaten streaks, etc. Palace were unlucky against Donny but still quite poor, and Freedman will be looking for a reaction. They're on a 3-match losing streak in the Championship, but wins against Wigan and Boro in the cup are promising signs. Palace do have a poor away record but they have actually not lost by more than 1 goal away since January, plus they've already won as many away from home this season as they did all last season. Brighton have been riding the crest of a wave since promotion but the gloss may have worn off now, and it's back to reality. Palace have a good record against Brighton and have vastly improved since Freedman came in, and I'm happy to take Palace with the draw at excellent odds. Crystal Palace+0.5 @ 2.36 with 188bet (4 units)
+1.44 units. Gutted about Bristol City throwing it away but James apparently dropped some clangers, so maybe a bit unlucky there. Good night with Lyon and Benfica both winning too. Hope people listened to my Derby warning too :ok

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 West Ham/Ipswich Quite happy to go against the flow here and lay West Ham at 1.56. By all accounts West Ham were not impressive at home to Peterboro and they will find Ipswich tougher. Most Boro fans commented that Ipswich were the best team they had played all season. Many of their players have played in the Premiership and they are now playing to their potential. I have not convinced its a goals over game neither. Only 1 goal in West Ham's last 2 games and Ipswich have only had 3 goals, Suggest the 2.52 on offer for goals under 2.5 is value. Pompey/PBoro Happy to lay Pompey at 2.14. Peterboro have been unlucky away this season. They nearly got a point at West Ham and may do that at Pompey who struggle to score at home. Three wins out of 3 - two at odds against :cigar

Re: England: Championship Sept 27-28 Brighton/Palace I think there is value in laying Brighton at 1.68. Palace are a better side than last season and I think their poor away form was a bit of an oddity. I can see them avoiding defeat in nearly 50% of their away games this season. I also think Brighton will be had pressed to win close to 66% of their home games. Brighton have started well, but their home form has slipped a little. I tend to believe new grounds take time to bed in for home teams and many away teams raise their game a little. This game is seen as a bit of Derby which usually weakens home strength. :cheers - 4 wins out of 4 for the Championship Tuesday night games - three of them at odds against.