** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Annoying Punditry

Trotter

There's no doubt that us racing fans are well served with ATR and RUK and I think it's brilliant that we can watch every meeting every day in the company of largely knowledgable and engaging presenters and pundits But................obviously after a first sentence like that, there has to be a 'But' ! I'm very much taking against Peter Howard and i wonder if this is irrational or shared by any other members The cause of my irritation is his habit of just repeating what the presenter asks him as his comment on the horse eg............ Tom - well, Peter, this horse of Dandy's is beginning to look well handicapped now and that was a good run behind Lightning last week, this extra furlong should suit him Peter - yes, this extra furlong should suit him and he looks well handicapped on that run last week :unsure

Re: Annoying Punditry Different thing but here's the SportingLife preview of one of the races at Haydock...

CHEVETON beat Hoof It in this 12 months ago and is only a pound higher today. Richard Price's seven-year-old came right back to form when landing last week's Ayr Silver Cup and could easily score again with Dale Swift's claim halving the 6lb weight rise.
Eh, was he not claiming that 3lbs last week then? Stupid idiots.

Re: Annoying Punditry Willie Carson does my nut in... for me he is without doubt one of the biggest slavers involved in pre/post race analysis on the box. Comes out with some absolutely ridiculous statements too! Certain is was when So You Think was beaten by Rewilding in the Prince of Wales at Ascot that, pre-race, he came out with, 'get your house on this horse, it will not be beat', just about choked on my tea when rewilding got up to beat it and made for a most interesting post-race analysis on his part. Can't even quite put my finger on exactly why he grates so much if i'm being totally honest but he just really gets on my tats. Thommo does a bit too nowadays too although he didn't so much in the past. He's just a broken record of the same crap sayings he's been spouting for years which when first heard make you smile and chuckle but after hearing them over and over again for the last however many years has just eventually ground me down. I know it's not punditry but there's a new commentator, not entirely sure of his name, but he has started to play the part of the new Thommo, getting way too over-excited during commentary and coming out with some very random phrases during the race - anyone any ideas on his name?? I seem to have Lee Mottershead (or something) in my head but can't be totally convinced it's the same commentator if i'm being honest as can't quite put the name to the commentary style?? Rant over - wrong side of bed this morning ;)

Re: Annoying Punditry

Willie Carson does my nut in... for me he is without doubt one of the biggest slavers involved in pre/post race analysis on the box. Comes out with some absolutely ridiculous statements too! Certain is was when So You Think was beaten by Rewilding in the Prince of Wales at Ascot that, pre-race, he came out with, 'get your house on this horse, it will not be beat', just about choked on my tea when rewilding got up to beat it and made for a most interesting post-race analysis on his part. Can't even quite put my finger on exactly why he grates so much if i'm being totally honest but he just really gets on my tats. Thommo does a bit too nowadays too although he didn't so much in the past. He's just a broken record of the same crap sayings he's been spouting for years which when first heard make you smile and chuckle but after hearing them over and over again for the last however many years has just eventually ground me down. I know it's not punditry but there's a new commentator, not entirely sure of his name, but he has started to play the part of the new Thommo, getting way too over-excited during commentary and coming out with some very random phrases during the race - anyone any ideas on his name?? I seem to have Lee Mottershead (or something) in my head but can't be totally convinced it's the same commentator if i'm being honest as can't quite put the name to the commentary style?? Rant over - wrong side of bed this morning ;)
Alan Howes ? Often does Wolves in an evening ?

Alan Howes ? Often does Wolves in an evening ?
Can't find any commentarys by Alan Howes, so it\s possible but having listened to a few replays I am certain the guy I was thinking of was Lee Mackenzie - however I feel a retraction is due as what I listened to (barring his opening line on every race) wasn't too annoying and to be fair he didn't call the races too badly. I probably have some unconscious stigma associated with him from a lost bet he commentated on or something :lol Thommo however, another story... Anybody got any links to an Alan Howes commentary would be appreciated, so I can score him off the list of possible suspects ;)

Lee Mackenzie is the worst commentator for me. Starts raising his voice and building races up way too far out' date=' isn't easy on the ears either. He did the RUK King George and Xmas hurdle earlier last season and it was horrible.[/quote'] Hello guys Just thought I'd stick my head in through the catflap to say hello to you all, yes Mr MacKenzie has become a bit "shouty" a bit like former Inspector John Hunt used to be a few years ago, still think the funniest comment I've heard is from Martin "Bomber" Harris who heard Mark Johnson's American " HERE COMES FRAAAANKIE" commentary said "tonight I'm going to be commentating in the style of the Dali Llama!

Re: Annoying Punditry Hi tabby ! funny how you notice the little quirks...........I think it's Mark Johnstonwho I think of as the 'in the gate' man Cos whatever type of race he'll say they're in the gate eg.............two year olds are IN THE GATE .................sprinters are IN THE GATE .................maidens are IN THE GATE nor particularly annoying but just something i keep noticing

Re: Annoying Punditry I actually think Thommo is a liability to racing.. Anytime i dont get the chance to watch a race and have to listen to it on timeform radio, you dont have a clue what sort of a chance your horse has.. "and here comes this horse, and this horse is staying on stongly (even though its a full furlong behind with a furlong to go), were neck and neck but here comes such and such, the man is an idiot when it comes to commentary..

Anyone looking forward to Richie Persad @ Longchamp tomorrow?:nana
Is Rishie on BBC tomorrow? I never watch BBC or C4 nowadays but I like Rishie when he's on RUK, especially when he gets together with grumpy old Steve Mellish.......... It's like Laurel and hardy...............:lol

I actually think Thommo is a liability to racing.. Anytime i dont get the chance to watch a race and have to listen to it on timeform radio' date=' you dont have a clue what sort of a chance your horse has.. "and here comes this horse, and this horse is staying on stongly (even though its a full furlong behind with a furlong to go), were neck and neck but here comes such and such, the man is an idiot when it comes to commentary..[/quote'] Ah my favourite subject Thommo, who appears to have lost favour with the people who book commentators, they are sending him to places like Hexham now