** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21

aliando

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21

I was surprised when I looked at Pav's goal ratio at Spurs. Premier League 20 in 45 (29) FA Cup 7 in 6 (4) League Cup 7 in 8 (1) Brackets denote substitute appearances.
Dont get me wrong i like him and want him to do well but he really isnt our 25 goal a year man. 1 goal every 3.5 appearences last season, not bad considering he is mainly a sub. Just looks like a man with little confidence or form at the moment, abit like Defoe has been over the past few months. Anyway i hope he comes good tonight and scores us some goals!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Nottingham Forest vs Newcastle United Home side plays awful since the start of the season and the reconstruction that have been supposed to be done failed miserably. They let go important players and instead they brought players that had less appearances for their ex clubs than the number of goals scored by Earnshaw in 2 seasons. Tonight Ben Arfa will enter on the pitch and I expect more consistency in the game of the Magpies. away 0 AH @ 1.83 with 188bet

Everton wants this win as badly as WBA. Osman already stated that in interview. Nobody wants to lose their momentum when you are winning. Yeah... odds on Everton aren't great but at the same time WBA performance doesn't convince either. They have lost four of their opening five league games.... and have enough problems to solve on their own. And I don't understand how you can say that Everton are struggling in Premier league... they have taken 7 points from 4 games. What did you expect from them ? Having a Top 3 ? Yes, they haven't been superb on the field but still they win games and take points. So if Everton is struggling then WBA are super-struggling. And your statement that WBA do ok in Goodison park... hmm.... From the last 5 games in Goodison park, everton has won 3, drew 1 and lost 1. Can't actually say that they are doing ok. When you will know exact lineups, then maybe you can make some conclusions, but right now all your value seeking is based on that WBA will want this win more Everton and it's just simply not true. What I do agree, that odds aren't good enough to back Everton, but at the same time I don't see that superb value on WBA. Just my 2 cents
Hey Mad Men, yes i have taken the price early with the expectation that WBA will put out a decent side. I tend to base my predictions on performances rather than results although i of course don't discount the signs that come from poor results such as missing chances. But as i say, if a side is losing but creating chances and being unlucky in front of goal or drawing when keeping the oppositions chances down i find that more informative than purely results. Therefore, when i analyise the WBA performances at Goodison they have been decent even under Mowbray where if i remember correctly they lost 2-0 after dominating the match but that was during their time when they played nice football with no end product. With odemwingie and Long alongside the quality of Mulumbu, Brunt, Dorrans they are a different force now. Obviously i don't know if they will put these players out but i think even with a mix of first teamers and fringe players/youth they have a good chance otherwise i wouldn't have took the bet on. The odds represent value and i think the to qualify odds should be somewhere around the 2.00-2.20 mark. Regards Osmans comment, i think most teams go out to win but whether the manager gives them the personal to do so is another matter. Ie- Will Osman have the Cahills,Baines etc.. around him or the youth/fringe lads? I'd expect it to be the latter tbh. As always it's about averages and it may not come off this time but i think theres a very good chance it will given the personal, evertons poor cup form, everton playing badly except v villa etc...

Dont get me wrong i like him and want him to do well but he really isnt our 25 goal a year man. 1 goal every 3.5 appearences last season' date=' not bad considering he is mainly a sub. Just looks like a man with little confidence or form at the moment, abit like Defoe has been over the past few months. Anyway i hope he comes good tonight and scores us some goals![/quote'] Yeah, Pav can find the net (sometimes) but does little else worthy of note. I definitely think if we play him as a lone striker it decreases the chances of over 2.5. We didn't really look like scoring in Greece with this system, despite playing well. Although it seems our team will be stronger tonight than on Thursday.

Blackburn vs Leyton Orient Leyton Orient have never beaten a top flight in League One added to the fact there are currently rock bottom of league one and blackburn on a high after the Arsenal game this one is a no brainer
Orient will go there under no pressure, and Blackburn will be expected to beat them easily - that might work in Orient's favour. Obviously, Blackburn have a much better squad and should win easily, but to call the result of a football match like this a 'no brainer' is always dangerous ;)

Yeah' date=' Pav can find the net (sometimes) but does little else worthy of note. I definitely think if we play him as a lone striker it decreases the chances of over 2.5. We didn't really look like scoring in Greece with this system, despite playing well. Although it seems our team will be stronger tonight than on Thursday.[/quote'] I'd much rather see Kane playing these sort of games. As he's not going to play in our prem side at this moment. Might also be worth noting we usually do pretty well in this comp. Think we've made 3 finals in about 10 years

I'd much rather see Kane playing these sort of games. As he's not going to play in our prem side at this moment. Might also be worth noting we usually do pretty well in this comp. Think we've made 3 finals in about 10 years
I think I would have Pav and Kane both up front tonight. It should be an open game with neither side wanting extra time so we might have a better chance of putting away chances with two up top, and plus it gives Kane a run out like you say. The best value I can see tonight is Villa @ 1.83. I've read that McLeish will play a strong team, with Bolton resting players, plus he won't want to upset the fans with a home defeat. By rights Villa are the sort of side that should try and take this competition seriously. But we know that the league cup is never this simple for punters! At the very least I will wait until seeing the starting line-ups.

Yeah' date=' Pav can find the net (sometimes) but does little else worthy of note. I definitely think if we play him as a lone striker it decreases the chances of over 2.5. We didn't really look like scoring in Greece with this system, despite playing well. Although it seems our team will be stronger tonight than on Thursday.[/quote'] Surely Harry will not have them set up defensively for this one? I have to admit I'm banking on him to throw caution to the wind in order to encourage Stoke to come out of their shells.

Surely Harry will not have them set up defensively for this one? I have to admit I'm banking on him to throw caution to the wind in order to encourage Stoke to come out of their shells.
I'm not sure. There are rumours it will be Pav on his own up front. I think it's best to wait until the teams are announced though.

I'm not sure. There are rumours it will be Pav on his own up front. I think it's best to wait until the teams are announced though.
Fair enough. Didn't Harry give Pulis his start in football back in the day? Hopefully they have a nice little chat before the game and decide attack is the best policy to eliminate this one dragging into extra time. Well we can wish can't we;)

Well i've seen alot of us but i think it comes down to if we turn up or not. if we turn up we look a very decent side unfortunately we quite often don't. Regards tonights match, it'll be a very different wolves line up so i think all league form/trends go out the window. All i know is that from the past 3 seasons, we've played weakened sides in front of a small crowd with no atmosphere and that has resulted in very laboured perfomances, often making changes last twenty and going for the equaliser or win. 5/7 have ended up in draws as the changes are made too late and the opposition hold on but we then do the job in extra -time. Given the injuries we have millwall win looks most likely to me, but the stats suggest draw so i've gone with that. As for goals market, i haven't a clue really hence i'm not involved in that market but i'm confident Millwall will score, wolves not so sure. 1-1 for me hopefully :hope Then Millwall knock us out as it's just an unwanted distraction if MM isn't going to take the cups seriously.
Wouldn't take Millwall to score, we haven't scored in the last three league games and have only scored 2 in the last five in all competitions and they came against Morecambe in the last round of the league Cup.

How cynical of you to suggest that this might turn out to be a lively encounter ;)
:lol Have been on the Wills site and they had a special price on a red card in the game and Paddy have a money back offer if theres a red card in the game so got me thinking that 5 cards wouldnt be to hard to achieve, espcially with the rivalry.

Orient will go there under no pressure' date=' and Blackburn will be expected to beat them easily - that might work in Orient's favour. Obviously, Blackburn have a much better squad and should win easily, but to call the result of a football match like this a 'no brainer' is always dangerous ;)[/quote'] Your probably right I ve had a nightmare so far this season with my betting :wall

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 With regards to my team Wolves tonight I expect us to line up: De Vries Doherty Stearman Elokobi Reckord Edwards Milijas Edwards Hammill Kightley Vokes Some of the names been mentioned such as Craddock and Zubar are injured and some youngsters mentioned like Batth are out on loan. I would still expect to see some of the big hitters on the bench though as he has done in recent years. I wouldn't read into 'not wanting Euro football'. We've just lost two on the bounce and McCarthy has said today someone needs to shine and push themseleves in the 1st squad because at the moment theres plenty of places up for grabs! Im going tonight but I don't expect this to be a pretty match at all. Wolves and Millwall have a bit of history best left untold... No bet from me

Surely Harry will not have them set up defensively for this one? I have to admit I'm banking on him to throw caution to the wind in order to encourage Stoke to come out of their shells.
I think apart from a couple of the CL games we played last year we never set up defensively. My point is more that, yes we can set up to attack, and get men forward, but if none of those forwards are any good enough at putting the ball in the net, then it wont necersarilly lead to us scoring goals... just conceding them! If Pav, Kane, Giovani, Falque play as our attackersi cant see us scoring that many. If you start putting the likes of VDV, Defoe etc in there then things change. Having said that if Stoke play they did Sunday we may have a chance with Gomes up top :rollin My prediction is 2-1 to spurs :hope

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Man City - Birmingham under 2.5 Mancini said that he is gonna rest 5-6 players from the first team which means that Nasri, Dzeko, Aguero, Silva, Y. Toure and maybe someone else won't be in the starting squad or even play at all. Owen Hargreaves will probably make his debut. I'm quite sure that Balotelli will start and maybe Tevez. Birmingham is one of those teams which are not easy to play against plus Mancini is having bigger priorities on CL and PL. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3822939/Owen-Hargreaves-set-to-make-Manchester-City-debut-against-Birmingham.html

Orient will go there under no pressure' date=' and Blackburn will be expected to beat them easily - that might work in Orient's favour. Obviously, Blackburn have a much better squad and should win easily, but to call the result of a football match like this a 'no brainer' is always dangerous ;)[/quote'] I watched a fair bit of Orient myself and by and large the season has been a disaster. I fancied us to get something against Bournemouth and Oldham, but the defence is so fragile at the moment, you just know there are going to be goals against once one goes in. It's laughable really - Slade sells the only striker we have capable of playing in a 4-5-1 because we can't have 5 senior strikers on the books, and promptly 3 strikers get injured. Meaning that Mooney will have to play the lone striker and there probably isn't anyone less suited to this. Average pace, strength and aerial ability.Much of the swaggering confidence that we had last year in the nice short passing game has disappeared with numerous mistakes in the midfield. I don't see the upset potential here.

With regards to my team Wolves tonight I expect us to line up: De Vries Doherty Stearman Elokobi Reckord Edwards Milijas Edwards Hammill Kightley Vokes Some of the names been mentioned such as Craddock and Zubar are injured and some youngsters mentioned like Batth are out on loan. I would still expect to see some of the big hitters on the bench though as he has done in recent years. I wouldn't read into 'not wanting Euro football'. We've just lost two on the bounce and McCarthy has said today someone needs to shine and push themseleves in the 1st squad because at the moment theres plenty of places up for grabs! Im going tonight but I don't expect this to be a pretty match at all. Wolves and Millwall have a bit of history best left untold... No bet from me
I agree that looks the probable line up with perhaps that young right back in place of doherty. Forgot Batth was on loan, mistake imo. I think the euro comments are telling, we only have to look at the line ups MM has put out since we've been in the prem to see he doesn't hold much cup and therefore euro comps in high regard. With the rebuilding that's going on at the mol, i think between MM,Moxey and Morgan they've decided prem survival is the only target for another 2-3 seasons then see where we're at regards cup runs and euro footie. Regards the Millwall wont score comment, they haven't scored in 3 but the defence we'll be putting out tonight will be particularly weak as will the cm which will include players that have yet to feature so wont be match fit or are coming back from injuries. The Millwall chances of success are based on wolves inadequacy's more than millwall being a threatening side. Millwall currently are alot better than the Notts county of last season, Southend,rotherham etc... But as i said in my initial write up on page 1, given a few lads will be eager to impress, i think the draw is most likely. Nothing is yet to sway me from that plus i've obviously placed those bets but still confident it's got a good chance of coming off.

I think apart from a couple of the CL games we played last year we never set up defensively. My point is more that, yes we can set up to attack, and get men forward, but if none of those forwards are any good enough at putting the ball in the net, then it wont necersarilly lead to us scoring goals... just conceding them! If Pav, Kane, Giovani, Falque play as our attackersi cant see us scoring that many. If you start putting the likes of VDV, Defoe etc in there then things change. Having said that if Stoke play they did Sunday we may have a chance with Gomes up top :rollin My prediction is 2-1 to spurs :hope
That'll do me :ok

Man City - Birmingham under 2.5 Mancini said that he is gonna rest 5-6 players from the first team which means that Nasri, Dzeko, Aguero, Silva, Y. Toure and maybe someone else won't be in the starting squad or even play at all. Owen Hargreaves will probably make his debut. I'm quite sure that Balotelli will start and maybe Tevez. Birmingham is one of those teams which are not easy to play against plus Mancini is having bigger priorities on CL and PL. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3822939/Owen-Hargreaves-set-to-make-Manchester-City-debut-against-Birmingham.html
My feeling about this game is that 1.25 is a good price for City. They will rest players of course but the squad is very strong and Birmingham could really do without the extra games. Hughton's remit is to get them back in the Premiership and they already have the Europa League to worry about. I wouldn't bother about handicaps but 1.25 for the straight win looks good to me.

Man City - Birmingham under 2.5 Mancini said that he is gonna rest 5-6 players from the first team which means that Nasri, Dzeko, Aguero, Silva, Y. Toure and maybe someone else won't be in the starting squad or even play at all. Owen Hargreaves will probably make his debut. I'm quite sure that Balotelli will start and maybe Tevez. Birmingham is one of those teams which are not easy to play against plus Mancini is having bigger priorities on CL and PL. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3822939/Owen-Hargreaves-set-to-make-Manchester-City-debut-against-Birmingham.html
Birmingham are difficult to play against? Surely that was last season. A helluva lots changed since then. Middlesbrough, Braga and Southampton have all scored 3 or more against them this season. I think regardless of who Mancini selects it's a dangerous game to be playing unders on this one :ok

I think the euro comments are telling, we only have to look at the line ups MM has put out since we've been in the prem to see he doesn't hold much cup and therefore euro comps in high regard. With the rebuilding that's going on at the mol, i think between MM,Moxey and Morgan they've decided prem survival is the only target for another 2-3 seasons then see where we're at regards cup runs and euro footie.
I agree. Wolves don't need Europe. tbh, I can't think of many teams that would really want to win the Carling Cup purely to get into the Europa league. Apart from maybe Sunderland. I think even the likes of Villa and Everton who previously would have lapped up a little European adventure, now see it as an unwanted distraction.

MU ''second squad'' could easily be some others team first squad. Berbatov, Owen, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Fabio, Pogba (will make a debut).... I think those players can definitely make some damage for Leeds. In my view, this is a revenge game for ManU (last year's loss 0-1) and motivation for those ''second'' team players should be sky high.... as this is the one of the times when they can show that they should belong for the ''first'' team. Personally I took Manchester United @ 1.58 Betfair
After their win against Chelsea, this is too good of an offer to me. I guess this cup is not particularly of a great interest to Manchester United.

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Forest vs Newcastle: Newcastle to qualify 8/11 Forest have made a bad start under mclaren and personally i dont feel he is the right manager to lead a championship side back to the premier league. Newcastle on the other hand are cruising in the premier league and will enjoy a cup run this season and has enough quality to beat forest. Stoke vs Tottenham: Stoke to qualify As much as i dislike stoke's attitute towards playing football, their "get the job done" style will do well against a tottenham side mainly looking to challenge for a top 4 spot and will probably see an extremely weak side travel to stoke. Stoke will enjoy a cup run more and the working fans will get behind their team. Blackburn vs leyton Blackburn 4/11 Blackburn are still a very poor side and got lucky to beat arsenal in the weekend. Kean is a poor manager but this is still a game that blackburn should win. They have some quality players and Leyton is not in the right mood to for an away game vs a premier league team right now. Arsenal vs Shewsbury Arsenal -1.5 @ 0.55/1 Arsenal should cruise past this. Although a terrible start to the season they are still a side with plenty of quality in both the first team and reserve team and lower league side shrewsbury will have a very long night at the emirates. I feel if arsenal get an early goal, they will really put their foot on the pedal and score more as i feel that will boost their confidence. Although arsenal took an early lead vs udinese and stayed 1 - 0 at FT the scoreline did not reflect the actual game. I feel arsenal could have scored 3 whilst udinese also had chances to score a couple for themselves. Shrewsbury in terms of offense and defense are much worse and i sense an absolute thrashing. Im putting a few quid on 6 - 0 7 - 0 8 - 0. To tie it all together ive not bothered with singles tonight but instead opted for a 4fold at 5.5/1 @ 10/10 units to keep things simple. :hope

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Some team news regardin West Brom: West Brom striker Shane Long is doubtful for tomorrow's Carling Cup third-round clash at Everton after suffering a bout of flu. Defender Gabriel Tamas will serve the second game of a three-match suspension. Baggies head coach Roy Hodgson made 11 changes for the previous round at Bournemouth and is again expected to rotate his squad, although not to the same extent. The likes of Simon Cox, Marc-Antoine Fortune, Billy Jones, Gareth McAuley and Marton Fulop will come into contention for starts. Provisional squad: Foster, Fulop, Reid, Dawson, Olsson, Shorey, Morrison, Scharner, Mulumbu, Thomas, Long, Odemwingie, Dorrans, Brunt, Cox, Fortune, Jones, McAuley, Mattock, Reyes, Hurst.

Hey Mad Men, yes i have taken the price early with the expectation that WBA will put out a decent side. I tend to base my predictions on performances rather than results although i of course don't discount the signs that come from poor results such as missing chances. But as i say, if a side is losing but creating chances and being unlucky in front of goal or drawing when keeping the oppositions chances down i find that more informative than purely results. Therefore, when i analyise the WBA performances at Goodison they have been decent even under Mowbray where if i remember correctly they lost 2-0 after dominating the match but that was during their time when they played nice football with no end product. With odemwingie and Long alongside the quality of Mulumbu, Brunt, Dorrans they are a different force now. Obviously i don't know if they will put these players out but i think even with a mix of first teamers and fringe players/youth they have a good chance otherwise i wouldn't have took the bet on. The odds represent value and i think the to qualify odds should be somewhere around the 2.00-2.20 mark. Regards Osmans comment, i think most teams go out to win but whether the manager gives them the personal to do so is another matter. Ie- Will Osman have the Cahills,Baines etc.. around him or the youth/fringe lads? I'd expect it to be the latter tbh. As always it's about averages and it may not come off this time but i think theres a very good chance it will given the personal, evertons poor cup form, everton playing badly except v villa etc...
As a Fulham fan, I can tell you Hodgson treats this competition with utter contempt. He did it whilst at Fulham and he got Liverpool knocked out by Northampton last year. With his side bottom of the league, I doubt he'd take it seriously. He's a shrewd man so expect a diplomatic presser but in his mind he'll want out asap. Not saying it's not a decent bet, just making you aware of some team news as you have done on Wolves.