** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September

Saturday 17 September 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal (12:45 BST) 4.7 3.65 1.91 101.03 %
maximize.gif Aston Villa v Newcastle United (15:00 BST) 2 3.5 4.5 100.79 %
maximize.gif Bolton Wanderers v Norwich City (15:00 BST) 1.79 3.76 5.6 100.32 %
maximize.gif Everton v Wigan Athletic (15:00 BST) 1.6 4.06 7.64 100.22 %
maximize.gif Swansea City v West Bromwich Albion (15:00 BST) 2.7 3.35 3 100.22 %
maximize.gif Wolverhampton Wanderers v Queens Park Rangers (15:00 BST) 1.95 3.61 4.7 100.26 %
Sunday 18 September 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool (13:30 BST) 2.79 3.4 2.82 100.72 %
maximize.gif Fulham v Manchester City (15:00 BST) 7.48 4.11 1.6 100.20 %
maximize.gif Sunderland v Stoke City (15:00 BST) 2.64 3.4 3.1 99.55 %
maximize.gif Manchester United v Chelsea (16:00 BST) 1.85 3.9 4.8 100.53 %

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September Whoever compiles the odds on Everton literally needs shooting :lol There's only been one head to head with Wigan where they've won comfortably, and I remember two years ago they had to come from behind to win late in the game. Awful price though because I don't think Everton are a top six side anymore, and allways struggle at home when priced up as short as that.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September As a Norwich fan, I feel the price on Bolton to win is pretty generous. I'm getting concerned about our ability to score at this level - West Brom were pushed back most of the match at Carrow Road and yet we lacked the last move to get the ball in the back of the net. We definitely have the ahilty to score, but at the moment it looks more like our strikers are nervous in front of goal, which is all the more worrying given that we have played both our home games against teams who we should aim to score a few past, particularly west brom. Bolton may have got trashed last game, and defended not so well, but I think their experience in this league will lead them to either out score or out defend us. I would expect this price to drop, but even 1.5 would be worth taking I feel based on our current form. The one caveat to all the above is that the aforementioned lack of confidence in front of goal could be the result of pressure from playing at home - we did not lack that confidence at Chelsea. Overall, however, I think it's a price with value, so 8/11 for Bolton to win at various outlets would be my tip.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September

As a Norwich fan' date=' I feel the price on [b']Bolton to win is pretty generous. I'm getting concerned about our ability to score at this level - West Brom were pushed back most of the match at Carrow Road and yet we lacked the last move to get the ball in the back of the net. We definitely have the ahilty to score, but at the moment it looks more like our strikers are nervous in front of goal, which is all the more worrying given that we have played both our home games against teams who we should aim to score a few past, particularly west brom. Bolton may have got trashed last game, and defended not so well, but I think their experience in this league will lead them to either out score or out defend us. I would expect this price to drop, but even 1.5 would be worth taking I feel based on our current form. The one caveat to all the above is that the aforementioned lack of confidence in front of goal could be the result of pressure from playing at home - we did not lack that confidence at Chelsea. Overall, however, I think it's a price with value, so 8/11 for Bolton to win at various outlets would be my tip.
you will have a surprise this weekend with your team and the other 2 new promoted! faith!:gimme

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September A more speculative bet that could be worth a shot is Craig Dawson in one of the goalscorer markets versus Swansea. With Gabby Tamas being handed a 3 match ban today and with McAuley not 100% fit for Albion, Dawson will probably be handed his Premier League debut alongside Olsson in central defence. The lad's extremely highly rated and looks a great prospect but one of the most eye-catching and surprising areas of his game is his goalscoring. Despite being a centre half, he scored 9 goals for Rochdale last season and 10 the year before, most coming from set pieces, finishing as Dale's 2nd highest goalscorer both seasons. He also got a couple in pre-season for us and recently got his first call-up for the England U21's and helped himself to 2 goals, both headers from corners. The kid is absolutely lethal from set pieces and with Paddy Power offering 25/1 for first goalscorer and 9/1 for anytime goalscorer, he's got to be worth a punt at those odds.

A more speculative bet that could be worth a shot is Craig Dawson in one of the goalscorer markets versus Swansea. With Gabby Tamas being handed a 3 match ban today and with McAuley not 100% fit for Albion, Dawson will probably be handed his Premier League debut alongside Olsson in central defence. The lad's extremely highly rated and looks a great prospect but one of the most eye-catching and surprising areas of his game is his goalscoring. Despite being a centre half, he scored 9 goals for Rochdale last season and 10 the year before, most coming from set pieces, finishing as Dale's 2nd highest goalscorer both seasons. He also got a couple in pre-season for us and recently got his first call-up for the England U21's and helped himself to 2 goals, both headers from corners. The kid is absolutely lethal from set pieces and with Paddy Power offering 25/1 for first goalscorer and 9/1 for anytime goalscorer, he's got to be worth a punt at those odds.
:welcome And excellent first post!

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September 5pts Fulham v Man City - City -1AH @ 2.00 Bet365 More than happy to take City on the handicap at this price. I can't see anything other than a City win so hopefully a stake returned is a minimum. City play tonight but with the squad and quality they have available we should see no problems with any fatigue. Fulham on the other hand play in the UEFA cup tomorrow and have so such luxuries in terms of squad depth. City have recorded 2 away wins this season scoring 8 goals and conceding 3. On the back of their recent 5-1 away win in London over Spurs, (and although we were awful) they showed a real attacking intent that I think will cause Fulham plenty of problems. Fulham have so far to register a home win in 2 draws against Blackburn and Villa - Teams nowhere near the level of City. I also like the fact that City play knowing that Man Utd will have a very tough game against Chelsea on the Sunday. This is a chance for them to set down another marker and put some pressure on United ahead of their big match. GL 2 ALL

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September The odds against Tottenham are a joke.the same team that beat Liverpool convincingly at anfield last season.Seems bookies are buying the King kenny hype when its clear to see liverpool should never be favourites against any premiership team away from home, and yes that includes Swansea and Norwich. Anyway I expect Adebayor and company to win this easily.The best liverpool can play for is a draw but with an expectant Home crowd I can see spurs win this easily. Gift of the weekend in my opinion.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September i like this weeks fixtures and i think there could be some surprising results. i am thinking of taking treble on blackburn, wigan and stoke to win 93/1 blackburn are in a must win situation now. anything but a good result and the manager is probably going to be sacked. anyhow they played very well in the last few weeks but just didn't get the right result. arsenal only seem to have one goal in them and with the iffy squad still i think blackburn can get their first win typically i think everton are strongest at home but this is one of those games where if wigan score first they may hold on to it. all their games so far have been under and they've shown good ability in attack against man city despite losing. no doubt the stoke goalkeeper is their best player and probably most deserving on them winning by one goal margins in their last few weeks. their whole tactics is based on defense and i don't expect much different from them in this game. sunderland are finding it hard to score and they don't want to play stoke when your not scoring. this is going to be another frustrating match for them and stoke will nick it in the end. any objections?

i like this weeks fixtures and i think there could be some surprising results. i am thinking of taking treble on blackburn, wigan and stoke to win 93/1 blackburn are in a must win situation now. anything but a good result and the manager is probably going to be sacked. anyhow they played very well in the last few weeks but just didn't get the right result. arsenal only seem to have one goal in them and with the iffy squad still i think blackburn can get their first win any objections?
For what its worth...I wouldn't be taking Blackburn. The fans have a protest march planned to get Steve Kean sacked so I dont think it will be a great home atmosphere - Not the sort of thing you wan't when playing a side who keep the ball like Arsenal. Also Arsenal are a very dangerous side to bet against. Yes they haven't been at their best yet this season, but they only need to click and then they can hurt you from all over the pitch - also I think Gervinho is back from suspension. IMO they will have far too much for Blackburn and If I do touch this game I will look to take Arsenal, maybe even on the handicap. :ok

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September Further to my above post, contrary to my prediction Bolton have lengthened to 4/5 at some outlets, and oddschecker has them down as still lengthening. I guess people are tempted by the long odds on Norwich to win, which have shortened to 15/4 at bwin for example, and our good away record last year and commendable performance at Chelsea. I personally still feel that this is madness - Bolton have one thrashing vs Man U and people are backing us after a telling defeat to West Brom where we managed 3 shots on target despite having the majority of possession. There's no doubt we could win the game away, or pinch a draw, especially if we perhaps start Morison and Vaughen and do the unthinkable in benching Holt (which I feel is verging on sacrilege but may be necessary), but Bolton should be much firmer favourites and I don't think the market reflects the reality of the situation.

i like this weeks fixtures and i think there could be some surprising results. i am thinking of taking treble on blackburn, wigan and stoke to win 93/1 blackburn are in a must win situation now. anything but a good result and the manager is probably going to be sacked. anyhow they played very well in the last few weeks but just didn't get the right result. arsenal only seem to have one goal in them and with the iffy squad still i think blackburn can get their first win typically i think everton are strongest at home but this is one of those games where if wigan score first they may hold on to it. all their games so far have been under and they've shown good ability in attack against man city despite losing. no doubt the stoke goalkeeper is their best player and probably most deserving on them winning by one goal margins in their last few weeks. their whole tactics is based on defense and i don't expect much different from them in this game. sunderland are finding it hard to score and they don't want to play stoke when your not scoring. this is going to be another frustrating match for them and stoke will nick it in the end. any objections?
If you fancy a gamble, maybe... I really don't think this is a good bet to be taking. While I agree somewhat with your analysis of the three games, the likelihood of all three getting a win is far longer than 93-1 in my opinion. All three look like small stakes singles at best.

The odds against Tottenham are a joke.the same team that beat Liverpool convincingly at anfield last season.Seems bookies are buying the King kenny hype when its clear to see liverpool should never be favourites against any premiership team away from home' date= and yes that includes Swansea and Norwich. Anyway I expect Adebayor and company to win this easily.The best liverpool can play for is a draw but with an expectant Home crowd I can see spurs win this easily. Gift of the weekend in my opinion.
:rollin:rollin As a Liverpool fan i don't see us winning this, but come on, that is ridiculous!

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September Looking at tottenham double chance or perhaps Asian handicap, not sure yet. I thought while Liverpool were all over stoke on the stats, and may have been hard done by with a penalty chance, I think those stats were expected against the defensive stoke. Coming up against tottenham who are stronger up the ground I'm not seeing Liverpool getting the same run from defense to offense like they did against stoke. I'm surprised to see other sites callig it a win for Liverpool. Tottenham are playing reasonable football and looked good against he wolves. They also rested players during the week which only cements them as the stronger of the two in this matchup. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September Swansea City v West Bromwich Albion UNDER 2.5 goals @ 1.77 - Betfair. This game has unders written all over it IMO. What we have here is a Swansea side that love possession football, yet have failed to devise a way of linking the strikers effectively. Versus a Roy Hodgson controlled West Brom side, that as we know will be defensively organised and very resolute. I fancy this to be another 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Also Arsenal are a very dangerous side to bet against. Yes they haven't been at their best yet this season, but they only need to click and then they can hurt you from all over the pitch - also I think Gervinho is back from suspension. IMO they will have far too much for Blackburn and If I do touch this game I will look to take Arsenal, maybe even on the handicap. :ok
To suspect a team to click or not, I don't like. A big outfit bookie darling, betting against a trend, doesn't seem the right way to go. I suppose playing away from home, could work in their favour. Not touching this, unless a 'surprising' line movement comes along. With Newcastles obvious lack of firepower, and an stubborn AV defence, i've gone for a tasty AV clean sheet @ 3.5 with StanJames. Given Best doesn't deliver something special, I don't see Given gettin' beaten.

To suspect a team to click or not' date=' I don't like. [b']A big outfit bookie darling, betting against a trend, doesn't seem the right way to go.
Not sure what you are getting at here :unsure The hammering at United apart, I think they have looked ok including a decent away performance in the Champions league. Also worth considering that last season Arsenal were the best away side in the league

Not sure what you are getting at here :unsure The hammering at United apart, I think they have looked ok including a decent away performance in the Champions league. Also worth considering that last season Arsenal were the best away side in the league
Didn't see the match. From what i've heard and read, Wenger was lucky to escape with a valueable point against an inexperienced CL side. With question marks hanging over their head, I was really looking for a response in the Swansea match, and didn't get it. So for me, Arsenal have yet to play the part this season, being the trend. And even though the price is longer than first thought, I have absolutely no confidence in them, against a side, who impressed me in their last home outing. Losing influential Fabregas, Nasri and undervalued Clichy in a turbulent transfer window. Two of which, two a direct rival. I believe they are still hurting. Im sure they will come good at some point. But for now, who is leading that team?

Didn't see the match. From what i've heard and read, Wenger was lucky to escape with a valueable point against an inexperienced CL side. With question marks hanging over their head, I was really looking for a response in the Swansea match, and didn't get it. So for me, Arsenal have yet to play the part this season, being the trend. And even though the price is longer than first thought, I have absolutely no confidence in them, against a side, who impressed me in their last home outing. Losing influential Fabregas, Nasri and undervalued Clichy in a turbulent transfer window. Two of which, two a direct rival. I believe they are still hurting. Im sure they will come good at some point. But for now, who is leading that team?
First of all the champions league should be viewed with some contrast to the premier league but Arsenal played fairly solid against Dortmund and reduced the German team to creating very little in terms of actual goal scoring opportunities. Dortmund had good pressure play as we were all expecting but were a little toothless IMO. A draw was the fair result and there were a lot of encouraging signs for Arsenal including the fact that they didn't naively launch wave after wave of all-out attack in that rather self destructive Blackpoolesque manor. In terms of quality of personnel Blackburn should be higher than they are at present, unfortunately they have developed a bit of a losing mentality under Steve Kean. Kean is under pressure and knows that large sections of the Blackburn faithful are calling for his head. Whether this added pressure transmits itself to the Blackburn team performance is dependant on how much the players want to fight for him. Arsenal are becoming less soft centred and look like they are developing the ability to grind results out rather than just attacking teams to death. Song is vital and I also believe Frimpong can be a fantastic premier league midfielder, he has strength and fight aswell as technical ability. Losing Fabregas is a blow but Arteta is a more than capable replacement and he stuck his body on the line V Dortmund which is very encouraging for Wenger as he needs that grit and fight. Fabregas is a great player but unfortuantely his time at Arsenal was synonymous with failure and sometimes big changes can actually be positive. Nasri's contribution cannot be so easily be replaced as he was a great premier league player. Clichy added nothing to Arsenal IMO and he will not be missed, Man City wasted £8m on a player riddled with defensive errors, good luck to them. Gibbs had a fantastic game V Dortmund by the way. The biggest problem for Arsenal this weekend will be Blackburns physicallity. Arsenal are great away from home in the EPL but still struggle at places like Stoke. Ewood is never an easy place to come away with all 3pts and for me this game should be a no-bet situation. Arsenal getting better and better and appear to be learning lessons from the past but a little risky to bet on them to get all 3pts this weekend I feel after a high energy performance away to Dortmund.

I take your points and I agree to an extent. They certainly aren't the same force as last season, but IMO they still have far too much quality for what I think is a very poor Blackburn side. Yes they have lost some big players, but they have also signed Arteta and Benayoun players who have plenty of permier league experience. Going back to my original point if they do click then I think we could be looking at a big win and with the odds on offer I am going to play the following. 4pts Blackburn v Arsenal - Arsenal -1AH @ 2.60 Bet365

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September I think my team QPR could hurt a few teams now we hqve the 6 new players. We really could have won by 2 or 3 the other night against a Newcastle side in the top 5. With pace down the wing from SWP and a tenacious midfield pairing of Derry / Barton, i feel we have the right credentials now to get results. The goals will come and the likes of FAurlin, Taraabt, Campbell and Bothroyd are all capable of putting the ball away. I doubt we will offered much above 3/1 now for this match, but that shouts value for me after Monday nights peformance vs a team beaten at home last time by Spur VcBet go largest at 10/3, DNB will be around 6/4 i expect? which may be an option

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September Im going for a: Villa 10/11 Arsenal 5/6and Wigan +1 11/8 treble 7/1 with skybet Ill start with the arsenal game. Their last prem away fixture ended in an 8-2 battering, many of the same fans have had this ticket for free. This may sound daft, but i think the arsenal players and wenger acknowledge that they need to send them home reasonably happy this time round. Obviously this is not enough to get them 3 points alone, but their are other factors that convinced me arsenal are to strong. Someone has touched on the fact their is a protest against the rovers boss, automatically dampening the atmosphere at ewood (not that its ever electric, pathetic fan base IMO). Also, arsenal really impressed me against Dortmund. An 80,000 strong stadium which is famous to create hostile atmospheres (hoffenheim used a device to drown the dortmund fans noise out once!!) did not phase arsenal, and to me showed incredible character after all the rightful negativity. They still have top class players and i can see them hurting blackburn, which i see as the final nail in steve keen's coffin. Next game - my team Villa. McCleish has really sorted out our defence which can only be labelled as pathetic last season. We know he likes his teams to be organised and hard to break down, and quite simply i dont think newcastle attacking wise bring nothing to the table. Ill give credit to pardew and their start, they look good themselves at the back for a change, but i think they'll come to villa park after a point. Agbonlahor looks his old self, winning player of the month y'day, bent is always going to get chances to score, and with heskey injured (i shall not jump on the bandwagon and say good as hes been playing well) should see a first start to Albrighton or Bannan. Now these lads will whip dangerous balls in from the flanks all day long (Gabby's equaliser vs everton great example) so Bent and Gabby will be licking their lips. I also see great value in Wigan +1. Simple reason i cannot see everton winning! Evertons problems have already been touched on in previous posts so i wont repeat that, but i will say i look at wigan and think they can do a job at goodison. They were unlucky to not get all 3 vs swansea, beat qpr fairly comfortably, and got thrashed by man city, which is not exactly an eye opener. Everton have deffo been weakened, and wigan could hurt even more so. Good luck everyone and feel free to debate me :) :cheers

I think my team QPR could hurt a few teams now we hqve the 6 new players. We really could have won by 2 or 3 the other night against a Newcastle side in the top 5. With pace down the wing from SWP and a tenacious midfield pairing of Derry / Barton' date= i feel we have the right credentials now to get results. The goals will come and the likes of FAurlin, Taraabt, Campbell and Bothroyd are all capable of putting the ball away. I doubt we will offered much above 3/1 now for this match, but that shouts value for me after Monday nights peformance vs a team beaten at home last time by Spur VcBet go largest at 10/3, DNB will be around 6/4 i expect? which may be an option
i do agree with you mate to a fashion. Derry and Barton fine, SWP is proven premier league and think hes a great player. Taraabt finally showed monday that he can play. my only problem with QPR though, and im not using this to have a dig (how can i when we have heskey!!) but the chances will come but no-one will put them away. I think Jay Bothroyd is utter garbage, and that is putting it politely as what i would say down the pub would get deleted straight away by admin!! Campbell scored a few for blackpool last season but he isnt proven and dont think he cuts the mustard, one season wonder for me. Marcus Stewart, Michael Ricketts anyone?! Defence looked fairly sound, i think your midfield is pretty strong and a good manager. But with those strikers no chance. id also be careful, Mick McCarthy is putting together a good outfit at Molineux and not an easy place to go, granted spurs got a win but their a different class to QPR. A draw isnt out of reach, but i think getting 3 is a bit optimistic, but fair play no harm in believing and having confidence in your team. I do think though if Warnock got a couple of decent proven forwards in the window id look forward to the season

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September Wolves v QPR +0.5 1.975 @ Bet365 I agree with much of the above posts on QPR. The new signings will indeed transform them although I don't think they are quite there yet and a couple of injuries could really leave them in trouble. I do worry a little a bit about their firepower and think DJ Campbell could be a better option to start than Bothroyd. He proved he can score goals in the prem last season and his pace will fit in nicely with their style of play. Wright-Phillips terrorised Ryan Taylor in the last match but I really don't rate Taylor as a left back and I can't see Shaun having that much joy every week. He does have a habit of getting bullied a bit, especially against sides like Wolves. That said though, his pace is a great assett and along with Barton and tarrabt, QPR now have genuine ability that will cause sides problems. Wolves have had a good start to the season and Big Mick will be a happy man. Roger Johnson was a great aquisition at the back and I think Wolves can avoid a relegation scrap this year. At home you would fancy them to score against QPR whose defence i'm not overly impressed with. I like Luke Young but Ferdinand, gabbidon and Traore aren't really my cup of tea. That said, this won't be an easy game for Wolves and Warnock will be setting his side up to aim for a point first and foremost. They proved in their away win at Everton that they are capable of holding their own and they have added a bit of quality to improve on that. With the +0.5 handicap, I like the look of QPR.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 17-18 September i like the look of Arsenal, city and stoke all to win in a nice treble. Arsenal play blackburn who have been playing poorly and with arsenal still trying to fully recover from there 8-2 lost at united this is the perfect match. Also i think most players are back from there bans (gervinho, frimponge and song?) it should be a good strong 11 with something to prove. There is also going to be a protest from the blackburn fans which surely wont help matters Stoke play sunderland who are having some trouble and with Gyan disappering on loan i can see them struggerling agaisnt a strong inform stoke team who rested most there stars mid week vs kiev in europa which they were unlucky to draw against. City play fulham who played well in the europa league agaisnt fc twente, but martin jol tried to rest key players but had to bring duff and zamorra on towards the end to try and ensure a draw. City will just have to much for fulham with silva and aguero playing amaizingly. Arsenal @ 4/5 City @ 4/7 Stoke @ 2/1 paddypower will be having a look at QPR aswell watched them vs newcastle and wright phillips looked awesome

I take your points and I agree to an extent. They certainly aren't the same force as last season, but IMO they still have far too much quality for what I think is a very poor Blackburn side. Yes they have lost some big players, but they have also signed Arteta and Benayoun players who have plenty of permier league experience. Going back to my original point if they do click then I think we could be looking at a big win and with the odds on offer I am going to play the following. 4pts Blackburn v Arsenal - Arsenal -1AH @ 2.60 Bet365
Like them both, but Benayoun im very excited about, believe he can play the part. Cheers, best of luck to you BIG X.
...Losing Fabregas is a blow butArteta is a more than capable replacement... ...Nasri's contribution cannot be so easily be replaced as he was a great premier league player. Clichy added nothing to Arsenal IMO and he will not be missed, Man City wasted £8m on a player riddled with defensive errors, good luck to them.
Forgot to mention Van Persie is leading the team' date=' experienced, world class player - his goal and all-round performance V Dortmund was sensational, they wont go far wrong with him as captain let me tell you.[/quote'] Im familiar with Van Persie, thank you. I rate Van Persie just as much as the next guy. But one thing is wearing the armband, and another being a leader on the pitch. I was pleased for Arsenal when Arteta was signed, rate him highly, but saying he is a more than capable replacement for Fabregas, I don't agree with. I mean, who is? Losing first choice left back for 5 seasons, French international, and former PFA Team of the Year member to a main rival, can't all be good now, can it? Even Alan Hansen gave him the nod. At least you gave me Nasri. But this is neither here nor there.