** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September

Spooner

Saturday 10 September 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Shrewsbury Town v Hereford United (13:00 BST) 1.72 3.6 5 105.67 %
maximize.gif Aldershot Town v AFC Wimbledon (15:00 BST) 2.25 3.4 3.1 106.11 %
maximize.gif Bradford City v Bristol Rovers (15:00 BST) 2.62 3.4 2.75 103.87 %
maximize.gif Cheltenham Town v Macclesfield Town (15:00 BST) 2.1 3.4 3.6 104.81 %
maximize.gif Crewe Alexandra v Barnet (15:00 BST) 2.3 3.4 3.4 102.30 %
maximize.gif Gillingham v Accrington Stanley (15:00 BST) 1.85 3.5 4.33 105.70 %
maximize.gif Morecambe v Crawley Town (15:00 BST) 3.5 3.3 2.2 104.33 %
maximize.gif Northampton Town v Torquay United (15:00 BST) 2.37 3.4 3 104.85 %
maximize.gif Oxford United v Burton Albion (15:00 BST) 2.1 3.4 3.9 102.67 %
maximize.gif Plymouth Argyle v Port Vale (15:00 BST) 3.25 3.5 2.25 103.79 %
maximize.gif Rotherham United v Dagenham & Redbridge (15:00 BST) 1.83 3.5 4.33 106.19 %
maximize.gif Swindon Town v Southend United (15:00 BST) 2.1 3.3 3.5 106.49 %

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September Would like some views on likelyhood of home wins with these 2 matches: Gillingham V Accrington Stanley Gillingham are comming off the back of 2 straight league defeats against Rotherham (away) and Shrewsbury (home) and I am wondering if they can get all 3 points against a fairly solid Accrington outfit. Gills manager Hessenthaler was not happy after Shrews game and said his team deserved to loose. Both Gills and Accrington appear to have trouble scoring goals and the maths says this will end 0-0. However, Accrington don't seem to like travelling to the Preistfield and EVS is a tempting price for a home win. Accrington also had a game midweek in JP trophy so maybe a bit of a drain for them. Oxford V Burton Albion Chris Wilder was less critical of his team after their 3-1 defeat at Crewe last weekend and gave some praise for his teams performance despite the result. Oxford were a team tipped for bigger things this year but have had a fairly average start with 8 points from 6 games. If they are to push on this season then they really need to be winning these kind of bread and butter home games against a team that really should be finishing below them come May. As I understand it Oxford were missing a few for the Crewe game and I don't know what they're strongest lineup should be. Burton on the other hand are doing marginally better than Oxford at present partly thanks to the in-form Calvin Zola. They seem to personify how hard it is to predict League Two at times. Oxford at 8/7 also looks tempting but I find Npower League Two both painfull and disturbing to put money on. I suspect bookie traps and match fixing lurk in this division but I maybe just paranoid. Punters please, lend me your thoughts.

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September I fancy Morcambe to get something against Crawley this weekend. They've had a good start to the season taking 13 points from 6 games. Although Crawley are serious title contenders for league 2 this year i always feel they are slightly vunerable away from home. There record away from home this season w1-d1-l1 and they have been knocked out of the Carling Cup and JPT away from home in the last couple of weeks too. Morcambe (+0 AH) @ 2.6 looks decent value Any other thoughts?

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September

Would like some views on likelyhood of home wins with these 2 matches: Gillingham V Accrington Stanley Gillingham are comming off the back of 2 straight league defeats against Rotherham (away) and Shrewsbury (home) and I am wondering if they can get all 3 points against a fairly solid Accrington outfit. Gills manager Hessenthaler was not happy after Shrews game and said his team deserved to loose. Both Gills and Accrington appear to have trouble scoring goals and the maths says this will end 0-0. However, Accrington don't seem to like travelling to the Preistfield and EVS is a tempting price for a home win. Accrington also had a game midweek in JP trophy so maybe a bit of a drain for them.
Went to the Shrewsbury game, we didn't play well but will still be disappointed to lose a game in which we missed a first half penalty and lost to a twice taken 92nd minute penalty. Danny Kedwell is currently playing up front alone due to lack of fit strikers at the club and we are suffering for it, he gets through a lot of work but it's pretty obvious he needs a striker to play off him. Hess is aware of this and has been trying to bring in another forward, the loan market reopens today and he has targeted a Championship striker to bring in, will have to see what happens there, but I would say that is vital for your bet. Midfielder Jack Payne is out of the game but we do have plenty of reinforcements in this area, I would say we are pretty solid at home and that late goal on Sat was the first we had conceded at home. I will post up if we bring a striker in.

Would like some views on likelyhood of home wins with these 2 matches: Oxford V Burton Albion Punters please, lend me your thoughts.
I saw Oxford fail to beat Aldershot a couple of weeks ago - in fact for long periods we (Shots) looked most likely to score, despite playing with ten men for all but about ten minutes. A week earlier, a Swindon-supporting colleague watched Oxford beat Swindon despite being outplayed (so I'm told!). We compared notes, and agreed that Oxford aren't as good as they should be, given their team sheet. Against Aldershot they seemed deviod of ideas against our stubborn side. Constable will always score given the opportunity, but after a bright start Oxford seemed nervous and unable to create much for him. Burton have had a decent start and have picked up some notable draws, although I don't know much about them. Given their individual quality Oxford will surely come good at some stage, but my view is that at the moment there's more value in backing Burton/Draw (4/5 in places).

Best bet of the english fixtures this weekend for me is crewe Crewe v Barnet Home win @ 2.30 will edit and write up in detail later.
Was going to say the complete opposite, Crewe are just not the side they were picking up 1 victory all season whereas Barnet look very disciplined under Lawrie Sanchez picking up some excellent away wins

Was going to say the complete opposite' date=' Crewe are just not the side they were picking up 1 victory all season whereas Barnet look very disciplined under Lawrie Sanchez picking up some excellent away wins[/quote'] I'd be interested to know in more detail why you think this. Personally Sanchez has been a big failure wherever he's managed. of course he could have learnt his lesson and Barnet will reap the rewards of his 'apprenticeship' elsewhere. But for me, i don't see it. As for crewe, as i say i'll write up in more detail later but i don't see much difference between Crewe today and the Crewe of the previous 3 seasons.

I'd be interested to know in more detail why you think this. Personally Sanchez has been a big failure wherever he's managed. of course he could have learnt his lesson and Barnet will reap the rewards of his 'apprenticeship' elsewhere. But for me, i don't see it. As for crewe, as i say i'll write up in more detail later but i don't see much difference between Crewe today and the Crewe of the previous 3 seasons.
I'd agree, Barnet still seem to be far too unpredictable. Lets be honest they have been very lucky not to be relegated the last couple of seasons and i fully expect them to be in and around the relegation battle at the end of the season. As for Sanchez, i dont rate him at-all, if Barnet had kept hold of Martin Allen i think we would have seen an improvement but i dont expect Sanchez to be as effective. Bar Izale Mcleod i see little quality in their squad so if Crewe can keep him quiet i expect them to win. Crewe themselves havent got off to a great start but got a decent win last weekend. I will be backing them, price is currently 11/10 with Bet365 GL :hope

I'd be interested to know in more detail why you think this. Personally Sanchez has been a big failure wherever he's managed. of course he could have learnt his lesson and Barnet will reap the rewards of his 'apprenticeship' elsewhere. But for me, i don't see it. As for crewe, as i say i'll write up in more detail later but i don't see much difference between Crewe today and the Crewe of the previous 3 seasons.
Oh I don't think that's the case really. If you take away his stint at Fulham, he did a bloody good job with Northern Ireland, and Wycombe.

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September Regardless of the whole Sanchez debate Barnet have been hovering in League 2 for a fair few seasons now and have managed to stay out of the conference due to a number of reasons, sometimes the weakness of those teams around them and other times inspired decisions made in the loan/transfer market. They will never be big players in the promotion race due to a small budget but very few teams have a big chequebook down here. The way Crewe have done it through all the years is to have a very solid youth team which develops under the exceptional Dario Gradi. If there is to be a debate on managers for this match then the reason to back Crewe is surely because of the work Dario has done rather than the perceived ineptitude of Sanchez, a notion to which I do not subscribe. At Wycombe, as Jase has pointed out, Sanchez excelled thus giving him a chance to do it on the bigger stage. It is a shame that he made such a big jump initially because the Martin O'neill route of moving slowly up the leagues with long tenures at each club could have stabilised his reputation. Crewe once again will rely on the Wiley old Gradi and there youth team, a massive advantage both staff wise and financially at this level. They will also remain inconsistent due to the inexperience on the pitch but also because of the raw talent being selected. It is also evident that once a youth player begins making waves a bigger club will step in and give Crewe some much needed revenue to pump back into the club. I do sometimes bet on Crewe but that comes in 2 stages of the season, In the run up to Christmas when the team should be settled and experienced enough to judge and again toward the end of the season where the team should also be settled and Gradi makes a point of consistency as he is a true veteran of football and understands how important continuity is from season to season. I am not expert at league 2 level but do take a very keen interest of all aspects in football, an important element when weighing up putting on a wager. For me this league appears a bit trappy this week and the Bookies seem to have got the prices about right. Swindon look tempting at evens, the match against Rotherham last week sums Di Canio's tenure as boss up perfectly at the moment and there wont be many boring matches down there while he's patrolling the technical area :lol. Richie and magara stood out for them last week and Southend appear to have some injury problems so I will see confirmed team news before evaluating their chances. I will be concentrating on the leagues above this week as the seems to be more value. I will post tomorrow once team news filters through. Good luck all, keep up the great debate :ok

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September I just personally think Barnet do well to soak up pressure and score with the 451 system they play away from home. Check out some of their away performances this season and this is why it has drawn me to backing Barnet DNB everytime they have played away so far this season. Colchester 1 - 3 Barnet Burnley 3 - 2 Barnet (AET) Rotherham 2 - 2 Barnet Portsmouth 0 - 1 Barnet Morecambe 0 - 1 Barnet I just dont see how Crewe can be justified to win this game. Dont get me wrong of course they can but it just doesnt seem as simple as I think with Barnets away record and Crewe performing so badly relying a lot on Shaun Miller at the top and David Artell at the back. I think Mcleoud will have a field day tommorow against an ageing Artell.

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September I know personally Magera as he was a player of Politehnica Timisoara. He is a very tall guy, a good striker when comes talking about headers, not suitable although for a counterattacking game. Timisoara was second placed team in Romania, was a very good team, but because of the fact that the owner of the club made some financial stupid things, they are in Serie B instead of playing in the Preliminary of Uefa Champions league. Lukas Magera should have been playing in there, but now he is in England 4th division. Magera has international experience, played with Poli against Manchester City, Anderlecht, etc. It is a massive winning for Swindon to have Magera, although I do not trust in a person like Di Canio. Maybe he will manage to do something in Conference North - South, here no. Seeing those Italian guys in the Robins' side, makes me wonder what is happening to the club that impressed me a lot 1 year and few months ago, when they were involved in the Play Off games! Sad story for them ... hope they will not be the next Luton Town or Stockport ...

I just personally think Barnet do well to soak up pressure and score with the 451 system they play away from home.
Completely agree with this and saw it first hand in the first game of the season. They got the goal and then defended like crazy, very professional away performance to get the points. That said, Crewe, 3 games winning run in all comps, must be high in confidence and I think that they will be the better of the 2 and should edge it for me. Not the most confident of predictions however, and I think I'll save my bets for other games.

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September Anybody got any news views for the Cheltenham-Macclesfield game? Backed Cheltenham a couple of times in the last few weeks, and from what i have seen from highlights etc they have played some decent stuff, particularly at home. At evens they don't seem too bad value to me but i know very little about macclesfield....

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September Shrewsbury to beat Hereford 4/6 paddy power Shrewsbury have played 6 so far and only lost once and have an unbeaten record at home Hereford are 2nd bottom having yet to win away from home an early win for the shrews would put them top before the other games kick off :hope

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September Oxford vs Burton Albion Oxford are in a small crisis after the 2-1 with Swindon away. They made a 1-1 home with the Shots and a defeat to Alexandra - Crewe. It is interesting that the teams have scored in last 5 games each one of them, but the price is too small, around 1.67. Burton won with Argyle, lost to Stanley and home with Sheffield United. Their performance for this start of the season are quite good and I expect them to continue here. Constable is doubtful for the U's. away +0.5 AH @ 1.90 with SBOBET Morecambe vs Crawley Crawley will surely get a League One spot in the end. A good management and good investments should offer satisfaction in the end. Morecambe was 4th 2 seasons ago and played the Play Offs. Last season, Morecambe ended on 20th position. Now Morecambe seems they will make another good season and the players they bought to the club are speaking about this: striker Alessandra from Oldham, midfielder Gary Mc Donald from Hamilton, defender Fenton from Rotherham, midfielder Ellison from Rotehrham and midfielder Reid from Macclesfield, all important players to their ex clubs. Cheltenham sold to Crawley Town their main striker last season, Thomas, who scored 18 goals. Away side here has another 2 good strikers Tubbs and Barnett brought from Macclesfield. I expect home side not to lose here! Excet the first game when they lost home with Barnet, they offered a good show, dominated all the games, created a lot of chances and also scored 10 goals. What impresses me is that they conceded just 3 goals and had 4 clean sheets including cup games. Crawley is seen by all a winner of every game, but that is impossible. home +0.5 AH @ 1.92 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September Hi, any thoughts about Torquay game, such big price... Northampton are very poor this season at all, 4 losses at home till 10 days, while Torquay have 2 wins and a draw away from home... any team news or what, if anyone has an opinion please write it , TY :)

Hi' date=' any thoughts about Torquay game, such big price... Northampton are very poor this season at all, 4 losses at home till 10 days, while Torquay have 2 wins and a draw away from home... any team news or what, if anyone has an opinion please write it , TY :)[/quote'] We had a great comeback from 2-0 down last weekend away. Lots of new signings still settling in and we look great going forward with Jacobs and Young. Lots of creativity and Bayo providing endess strength. However, as has been the case for the past few seasons we are still leaking goals. We have conceded 2 or more in all of our last 6 games (one was Wolverhampton Wanderers) and 4 of them have been home games. There seems to be lots of fighting spirit, but we just don't have the quality at the back. Not much I know about team selection today other than Mckoy is suspended.

Re: England > Weekend > League 2 > 10 September I fancy Oxford to start getting in their stride today. Having backed them ante post to go up i need them to! Todays game is a "fan day" meaning cheaper tickets and a big crowd to cheer them on. Last week Oxford created plenty of chances without reward, so their manager wasnt too hard on them after defeat. The return to the squad of 2 of their most important players is also a big boost. (Constable and Leven) Burton are tricky opponents at the moment, doing better than i expected, but i expect Oxford will edge this one.

Shrewsbury to beat Hereford 4/6 paddy power Shrewsbury have played 6 so far and only lost once and have an unbeaten record at home Hereford are 2nd bottom having yet to win away from home an early win for the shrews would put them top before the other games kick off :hope
3-1 :beer

I fancy Morcambe to get something against Crawley this weekend. They've had a good start to the season taking 13 points from 6 games. Although Crawley are serious title contenders for league 2 this year i always feel they are slightly vunerable away from home. There record away from home this season w1-d1-l1 and they have been knocked out of the Carling Cup and JPT away from home in the last couple of weeks too. Morcambe (+0 AH) @ 2.6 looks decent value Any other thoughts?
why the hell didnt i go ahead on this one in the end :lol