** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September

Spooner

Saturday 10 September 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Barnsley v Leicester City (15:00 BST) 3.61 3.61 2.2 100.86 %
maximize.gif Blackpool v Ipswich Town (15:00 BST) 1.9 3.94 4.37 100.90 %
maximize.gif Bristol City v Brighton & Hove Albion (15:00 BST) 3.4 3.58 2.28 101.20 %
maximize.gif Burnley v Middlesbrough (15:00 BST) 2.62 3.62 2.8 101.43 %
maximize.gif Cardiff City v Doncaster Rovers (15:00 BST) 1.63 4.23 7.2 98.88 %
maximize.gif Leeds United v Crystal Palace (15:00 BST) 1.86 3.75 4.51 102.54 %
maximize.gif Peterborough United v Hull City (15:00 BST) 2.2 3.83 3.4 100.98 %
maximize.gif Reading v Watford (15:00 BST) 1.76 3.93 5 102.16 %
maximize.gif Southampton v Nottingham Forest (15:00 BST) 1.94 3.7 4.4 101.21 %
maximize.gif West Ham v Portsmouth (15:00 BST) 1.7 4.05 5.5 101.70 %
maximize.gif Coventry City v Derby County (17:20 BST) 2.57 3.45 2.95 101.79 %
Sunday 11 September 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Birmingham City v Millwall (12:30 BST) 2.35 3.48 3.3 101.59 %

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Southampton vs Nottingham Forest Southampton looks more and more like Norwich City and can do again a back-to-back promotion. They have a tough team; players that know each other very well, young and ambitious, playing together for long time. Nottingham Forest started a reconstruction after failing to promote 2 consecutive times, being stopped into the Play Offs. But this reconstruction is not sustained completely I believe manger McClaren when complaining about the fact he couldn’t add much more players to the squad. Last failure came in last day of the transfer window as they failed to get Max Gradel from Leeds United that in the end went to Saint Etienne, in France. Nottingham won once away, 1-0 to a depleted squad, Doncaster Rovers and lost to Millwall 0-2. Southampton plays a very attractive football and is involved in games with many goals. They have scored already 12 goals and conceded 6, in just 5 games. With a devastating attack and midfield composed by Connolly - 4 goals, Lambert - 2 goals, Lallana - 3 goals, Gully do Prado – 1 goal, Hammond – 1 goal, I expect a win here for the Saints. I always considered that they are a Premier League side stocked into the inferior Leagues, but now they have to go where they belong! For the moment they must win this game … home win @ 1.94 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September

What about West Ham? I saw them, and I liked them. But Portsmouth record isnt bad eaither. How do they play? I like Leicester also.
Sorry but very rarely I go for odds under 1.80! Maybe I will search for a -1 AH, will see in the following hours. I will study the problem, anyway. West Ham should win home although ...

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Cardiff 1,68 (Pinnacle) looks quite good at first sight. Although they might need a little more time to gel they should have enough to beat Doncaster who still have injury concerns. Last season they had a poor away record and conceded most goals and I doubt this will change much this time. So far they only scored two goals and shouldn´t be too dangerous. Cardiff have a good squad with Miller and Earnshaw upfront..will be hard for Doncaster to keep a clean sheet (no clean sheet so far, Cardiff managed to score at least one goal every match so far). I´m aware the price is a little too high cause season still is in the early stages...but I will take that risk.

Sorry but very rarely I go for odds under 1.80! Maybe I will search for a -1 AH, will see in the following hours. I will study the problem, anyway. West Ham should win home although ...
Hey! :) Yeah, odd is short, I dont like it neither! Maybe I skip it. But West Ham looks impressive, and they have to win at home yet! Problem is, I didnt saw Portsmouth this year, and their record is not so bad. Portsmouth Cardiff 1:1 Bristol City Portsmouth 0:0 Portsmouth Reading 1:0 Portsmouth Brighton 0:1 Middlesbrough Portsmouth 2:2

Yeah I kind of agree, I really don't think it's to clever to be picking odds on shots in this league on a regular basis. It is very unpredictable from my experience of not only following it from a footballing point of a view but from the betting side of things. I'm pretty sure West Ham were odds on to Cardiff & Leeds already this season and failed to collect. For what it's worth, I expect West Ham to win but then I also fancied them to beat Leeds & Cardiff. :loon

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September I quite like the look of Peterborough at home to Hull. Last season they had a great home record scoring loads of goals in the process, and they have won both of their home games so far this season including the 7-1 thrashing of Ipswich. I see Hull as a reasonably solid team but if anyone can put a couple past them i think Peterborough certainly could! I'll have a go on a home win @ 6/5 with Bet365 - 3/10 stakes Anyone else got a view on this game?

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September I think it goes without saying West Ham have the best squad of players in the league, especially midfield. However, Pompey are usually very hard to beat and we don't often let up until the very end of the game. Team wise, we should have a full squad available, with Hayden Mullins returning. We now also have plenty of options available, and a bit more creativity from the Norwegian lad. Although, he is going to need a while to settle in. Unders would be my call, as I expect both sides to line up in a variation of a 4-5-1.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Burnley - MBoro : Draw (3,30) Bet365 Both teams got a decent start of the season. Burnley is expecet to get a upper midt table finish but can Howe get the best of Rodriguez and Austin then they would be a serious challenger to a play-off position. Mboro had a couple of mellow season but since Mowbray toke over, they are a changed side. Mboro are still unbeaten and it will properly take more then Burnley away to change that. Burnley got to draws at home against Watford and Cardiff while Mboro beat Leeds and Barnsley on the road. :hope

Hey! :) Yeah, odd is short, I dont like it neither! Maybe I skip it. But West Ham looks impressive, and they have to win at home yet! Problem is, I didnt saw Portsmouth this year, and their record is not so bad. Portsmouth Cardiff 1:1 Bristol City Portsmouth 0:0 Portsmouth Reading 1:0 Portsmouth Brighton 0:1 Middlesbrough Portsmouth 2:2
Seeing Brighton vs Doncaster my idea was that Brighton is not ready for Championship. And where are now? So does Doncaster ... I hardly wait first DOncaster win! And I will be there to get some cash on it!

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Leeds win -125, Over 2.5 goals -117 (superbook.com) Leeds coming home after a needed layoff after the transfer window meltdown of adding no one and selling one of their best players. Despite that I like Leeds to win, Nunez will step in for Gradel and Nunez has scored in every game this season for Leeds I believe. Becchio should also be back as well to add a punch to their attack. They have been losing matches this year, but they have been quite unfortunate in the Boro and Ipswich games losing players to cards, they outplayed both teams when full strength, and they looked good at West Ham as well, Southampton was a disaster. Clayton is going to cause a lot of problems for Palace, he is a really good player, I thought he outplayed Parker in the West Ham game, and McCormack has been in good form up top. Leeds is a tough team at home, don't think Palace has enough to beat Leeds. Leeds defense will surely leak a goal like usual, but the attack of Leeds should propel them, good luck. 3-1 Leeds win.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September West Ham United vs Portsmouth Portsmouth is solid and develops a good defensive team play. They will come to a field were they must attack to get something - as we can saw in the West Ham - Leeds game. I don't think they are capable of attacking here. Despite having a pretty good attack with Varney and Kitson, I think they will need much more to pass the best midfield from Championship - and here I am talking about West Ham. The Hammers should finally celebrate a win at home after many disappointing results: 0-1 with Cardiff, 2-2 with Leeds United, 1-2 with Aldershot. Big Sam should display a team to make happy the board and the fans. West Ham United -1 AH @ 2.02 with 188bet

I think it goes without saying West Ham have the best squad of players in the league, especially midfield. However, Pompey are usually very hard to beat and we don't often let up until the very end of the game. Team wise, we should have a full squad available, with Hayden Mullins returning. We now also have plenty of options available, and a bit more creativity from the Norwegian lad. Although, he is going to need a while to settle in. Unders would be my call, as I expect both sides to line up in a variation of a 4-5-1.
After three consecutive away draws - Pompey are due a loss. West Ham look the part at the moment and could score twice easy. -1 is the call for me...

After three consecutive away draws - Pompey are due a loss. West Ham look the part at the moment and could score twice easy. -1 is the call for me...
Why? Why are we not due a win if that is the philosophy? :unsure Cotterill has made us very hard to beat, as only one loss so far shows. The problem has been creating and scoring goals, which has now been rectified as we have many more options up top than we did.

Why? Why are we not due a win if that is the philosophy? :unsure Cotterill has made us very hard to beat, as only one loss so far shows. The problem has been creating and scoring goals, which has now been rectified as we have many more options up top than we did.
You are absolutely right, they are due a loss OR a win - but I reckon a win against West Ham tomorrow isn't the right time...

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Coventry City vs Derby County I wasn't very surprised by the start that Derby had, but I think that the series of good results it lasted too much. They are not a phenomenal team and are not a team that will fight for promotion. I think they will have a very hard test in this game against Coventry. The Ricoh Arena is very hard to conquer especially now, when the home team needs badly the points. Coventry got a good improvement, striker Cody Mc Donald from Norwich that last season was on loan at Gillingham and scored 25 goals in 41 appearances. Coventry avoided the loss of the good players and now manager Andy Thorn can improve the strategy of the team. I expect a home win, but I am afraid of a draw, so: home 0 AH @ 1.76 with Ladbrokes

You are absolutely right' date=' they are due a loss OR a win - but I reckon a win against West Ham tomorrow isn't the right time...[/quote'] Again.....why? Please don't think I'm picking on you or anything because that is not the case :D But there has not been one shred of solid reasoning behind backing West Ham, other than they're "better" .....

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Bristol City vs Brighton & Hove Albion I do not believe in Brighton as for example in Southampton. They have a very good moment, but I do not rate them as one of the teams that are aiming a back-to-back promotion. Bristol City is not as weak as their position indicates. Are an average team and have a phenomenal player: Nicky Maynard. The fact that they haven't scored home yet, also intrigues me. Ashton Gate Stadium has been always a tough place to go and now looks even harder with the home team clearly determined to get something from this game. I considered this one the bet of the week, but than I stopped as I have seen the Vicente transfer. He is not ready to play yet. Bristol got on loan defender Ryan Mc Givern from Manchester City, but will have left-back Mc Allister out. I believe in a home win or in a draw! home +0.25 AH @ 1.94 with Titanbet

Again.....why? Please don't think I'm picking on you or anything because that is not the case :D But there has not been one shred of solid reasoning behind backing West Ham' date=' other than they're "better" .....[/quote'] Remember Blackburn with Allardyce! A rocky team at home. This is how is going to be West Ham from now on!

Again.....why? Please don't think I'm picking on you or anything because that is not the case :D But there has not been one shred of solid reasoning behind backing West Ham' date=' other than they're "better" .....[/quote'] No probs man... :p Well...as far as statistics and probability go - streaks of three, four or five draws in a row are rare in pretty much any sport...therefore - any given match the odds is about right. The odds however, does not reflect the fact that the longer the streak continues, the chance of it breaking will improve. Given that a home or away win is more likely than a draw, I'll go for a home win.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Leeds Utd V Crystal Palace Another tough game to call with Leeds facing a rapidly improving Crystal Palace side. On paper these teams are closely matched but Palace have the advantage of playing with no pressure and no expectation, unlike their Leeds counter-parts. After a poor start there have been some encouraging signs of improvement for Leeds and a re-generated Ross McCormack looks in dangerous form. They also have Andy Keogh up-front which is a shrewd piece of business from Grayson, I think it's a strike partnership which could do serious damage at this level and help save Leeds from the doldrums of a lower mid-table finish. Losing Gradel will be a blow but I think Ramon Nunez is a very usefull player and can step up to the mark now Gradel has left. I would favour Leeds slightly for this match as I don't expect Palace to consistently pick up points away from home yet. However, I must again stress the fact that Palace are playing without fear and do not have the same pressure on them as an expectant Leeds side. Last season I would have been happy to take Leeds at 17/20 for this fixture but this time around I would want at least a price of EVS before I bite in the 1X2 market. Backing Palace is also one to avoid here for sure. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, Moxey, Wright, Jedinak, Garvan, Parr, Scannell, Murray If I had to bet on this game: Both teams to score @ 4/5 (Stan James)

Leeds Utd V Crystal Palace Another tough game to call with Leeds facing a rapidly improving Crystal Palace side. On paper these teams are closely matched but Palace have the advantage of playing with no pressure and no expectation, unlike their Leeds counter-parts. After a poor start there have been some encouraging signs of improvement for Leeds and a re-generated Ross McCormack looks in dangerous form. They also have Andy Keogh up-front which is a shrewd piece of business from Grayson, I think it's a strike partnership which could do serious damage at this level and help save Leeds from the doldrums of a lower mid-table finish. Losing Gradel will be a blow but I think Ramon Nunez is a very usefull player and can step up to the mark now Gradel has left. I would favour Leeds slightly for this match as I don't expect Palace to consistently pick up points away from home yet. However, I must again stress the fact that Palace are playing without fear and do not have the same pressure on them as an expectant Leeds side. Last season I would have been happy to take Leeds at 17/20 for this fixture but this time around I would want at least a price of EVS before I bite in the 1X2 market. Backing Palace is also one to avoid here for sure. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, Moxey, Wright, Jedinak, Garvan, Parr, Scannell, Murray If I had to bet on this game: Both teams to score @ 4/5 (Stan James)
Please note that Forssell has joined Leeds and is expected to be in the first XI.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Southampton @ 1.90 Betfair I''m not gonna overthink this too much. Nottingham so far have only one win (1-0) and that was against on of the weekest teams in Championship Doncaster Rovers. So far Steve McLarens team is struggling and playing away game @ St Mary’s won't make the things easier. Besides that there were rumours circulating that McClaren was considering quitting already due to frustrations over a lack of backing in the transfer market. Southampton on other hand are one of the best sides in Championship playing at home where they haven't lost so far. Besides that Chaplow and Ridder should be available again and they also brought centre back Jos Hooivled from Celtic to bolster the squad. For me it looks like 2-0 or 3-1 for home team. The odds available on Betfair are pretty decent in my view.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 10-11 September Cardiff should be a shoe in tomorrow against Doncaster. We have pretty much a full squad to pick from but I'm not playing those odds. We also have a decent record versus Donny in recent years. But we also have the ability to falter on home turf when we shoul do well. As said above, skinny odds dont pay in the long run with this division, so it's a no bet for me.

Leeds Utd V Crystal Palace Another tough game to call with Leeds facing a rapidly improving Crystal Palace side. On paper these teams are closely matched but Palace have the advantage of playing with no pressure and no expectation, unlike their Leeds counter-parts. After a poor start there have been some encouraging signs of improvement for Leeds and a re-generated Ross McCormack looks in dangerous form. They also have Andy Keogh up-front which is a shrewd piece of business from Grayson, I think it's a strike partnership which could do serious damage at this level and help save Leeds from the doldrums of a lower mid-table finish. Losing Gradel will be a blow but I think Ramon Nunez is a very usefull player and can step up to the mark now Gradel has left. I would favour Leeds slightly for this match as I don't expect Palace to consistently pick up points away from home yet. However, I must again stress the fact that Palace are playing without fear and do not have the same pressure on them as an expectant Leeds side. Last season I would have been happy to take Leeds at 17/20 for this fixture but this time around I would want at least a price of EVS before I bite in the 1X2 market. Backing Palace is also one to avoid here for sure. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, Moxey, Wright, Jedinak, Garvan, Parr, Scannell, Murray If I had to bet on this game: Both teams to score @ 4/5 (Stan James)
Good analysis, are you a Palace fan Das Phantom?

Leeds Utd V Crystal Palace Another tough game to call with Leeds facing a rapidly improving Crystal Palace side. On paper these teams are closely matched but Palace have the advantage of playing with no pressure and no expectation, unlike their Leeds counter-parts.
I agree with your first paragraph - Leeds record so far is 1-1-3 (w-d-l) & Palace's is the reverse. 4/1 is available for Palace - good value on the face of it. Sporting Life tipped up Palace as value at shorter odds. I'm pretty sure there is a "big team" bias on the Leeds odds on games ala Man U/Man C/Arsenal/Liverpool for the premiership. I see the odds % is now over 100% on the Cardiff game - did anyone here manage to do some hedging at the 98% odd?