** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England ODI

kevshat

After England continued their domination of test cricket in the test series it's time to put the pyjamas on for the one day leg of India's tour. England host India in a T20 match and 5 ODI's which are all live on Sky but before that they head to Ireland looking for a bit of revenge from their World Cup loss to them. That match is Thursday and is also on Sky. Most ODI threads on PL are very profitable of late and I'm sure this will be no different. Schedule:

Thu Aug 25 09:15 GMT | 10:15 local 10:15 BST Only ODI - Ireland v England Clontarf Cricket Club Ground, Dublin 11.png 10 - 16° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gif
Wed Aug 31 17:00 GMT | 18:00 local 18:00 BST Only T20I - England v India Old Trafford, Manchester
N/A
Sat Sep 3 09:15 GMT | 10:15 local 10:15 BST 1st ODI - England v India Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street
N/A
Tue Sep 6 13:00 GMT | 14:00 local 14:00 BST 2nd ODI - England v India The Rose Bowl, Southampton
N/A
Fri Sep 9 13:00 GMT | 14:00 local 14:00 BST 3rd ODI - England v India Kennington Oval, London
N/A
Sun Sep 11 09:15 GMT | 10:15 local 10:15 BST 4th ODI - England v India Lord's, London
N/A
Fri Sep 16 13:00 GMT | 14:00 local 14:00 BST 5th ODI - England v India Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
N/A

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England As a Irish fan I think there is good value in us tomorrow to beat England, I think it shows how far we have come over the years that the price of 11/4 isn't as big as I expected then again the side sent over by the ECB isn't as full of big names, and I think if Ireland can get on top early and with this ground were playing in, it can make more mistakes from the English side and the pressure will get to them I think, and the price of 11/4 is a nice price for this game, 11/4 is from Bet365, I'm going on it with 6/10 strength and for 2U's, also for Irelands top batsman I'm torn between Ed Joyce @7/2 and Paul Stirling @7/2, Paul is in good form and has got some really good strong knocks lately against good teams, especially a 100+ against Pakistan in a recent ODI, though he is the type of Sehwag player, he gives it a whack but the price isn't the highest, and then with Ed Joyce who I think is one of Irelands greatest batsman and probably the best of recent years and I think he will be really up for this and putting in a good knock, if he opens again I think his role will be to play right through the innings and with that there is a good chance of him getting a nice healthy score, so I'll go with Ed Joyce @7/2 with Bet365 for 7/10 Strength at 2.5U's, good luck everyone :)...

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England Can I ask what the difference between strength and units is? I know one is confidence and one is stake but is there a correlation? What is a maximum unit bet? Would a 10/10 strength be a max bet of say 5units? Cheers

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England

Can I ask what the difference between strength and units is? I know one is confidence and one is stake but is there a correlation? What is a maximum unit bet? Would a 10/10 strength be a max bet of say 5units? Cheers
Strength is just how strongly I feel about a bet, so if I said 10/10 I think that this bet should come in and I can't see past it, and with 7/10 I think it's a strong chance but not certain, and 1 unit for me is €10 so a 2/3 unit bet is big stake for me, and I'd rarely go above 5 units, maybe go above 5 if it's for a season long bet for say Barcelona to win La Liga, not for one individual bet that's only good for one game...

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England

Strength is just how strongly I feel about a bet, so if I said 10/10 I think that this bet should come in and I can't see past it, and with 7/10 I think it's a strong chance but not certain, and 1 unit for me is €10 so a 2/3 unit bet is big stake for me, and I'd rarely go above 5 units, maybe go above 5 if it's for a season long bet for say Barcelona to win La Liga, not for one individual bet that's only good for one game...
Ok. I understand know. Cheers for replying.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England 4 for me. Being a bit greedy by taking 2 top bats but there's some cracking prices around. Bit of an Irish theme to most of the bets. 4pts Ireland (+3.5wickets/30.5runs) to beat England 10/11 Sportingbet If this was England's first team then I could understand this handicap but it isn't and in my eyes unless Ireland get star struck these two sides look relatively evenly matched. Obviously England have slightly more genuine pieces of quality in their side but a top 6 that Ireland have of Porterfield, Stirling, Joyce, O'Brienx2 and Wilson is a top 6 that can compete with many of them. In George Dockrell and Boyd Rankin they have a couple of players already on England's radar while Trent Johnston will be bang up for this match. He and Alex Cusack are the only non professional players I expect to play for Ireland so this won't be an easy assignment for a young England side who will be without their regular coach and captain on this trip. I expect England to win but I think this will be close and will go down to the final over or two whichever way the match goes. This handicap looks high enough for Ireland's batsmen to keep them within. 4pts K.O'Brien's Performance Pts 29&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I expected Kevin O'Brien's performance target to be very high given his heroics in Bangalore in the World Cup but it isn't. In fact I think it's quite low given that in two of his last 3 ODI's on this ground he's taken 3 wickets in a match and we all know what he's capable of with the bat. That means he's perfectly capable of covering this line with the bat and the ball which automatically interests me. Throw in the catching potential and I think this is a total which should be a bit higher. An average day with bat and ball will be good enough to see this in so a good day with either should have it covered very nicely. Overs for me here. 2pts P.Stirling Top Ireland Batsman 4/1 Totesport Paul Stirling is in wonderful form right now. He's made centuries in his last 2 ODI's and he's been in fantastic form for Middlesex in limited overs cricket for quite a while. In many ways he's the stereotypical batsman that England have struggled against in one day cricket - the plonk the foot down and swing type of player but he's improved his technique and that's allowed him to select the balls to swipe a lot better plus he's able to rotate the strike more now. Opening the batting gives him the licence to swing away and the field restrictions to take full advantage of anything he middles and if he's still there at the end of the powerplays England have problems. Only Kevin O'Brien can match Stirling's scoring rate and he bats at 6 so if the Middlesex opener gets in and gets going 4/1 will look rather big very quickly. 1pt ew B.Stokes Top England Batsman 13/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) It will be interesting to see where Ben Stokes gets to bat in this match. I've a sneaky feeling he might bat fairly high in the order and could even bat as high as 3 because I'm certain he's the one the England selectors will secretly be hoping comes out of this match the best from the set of youngsters who have gone across the sea for this match. Putting it bluntly there isn't a more talented youngster in county cricket right now and I'm certain England want him in their squad for the India series which is coming up. A good performance here will only seal the deal further and that's why I think he could get a real go in this match. Wherever he bats he'll score quickly and he'll look classy doing it and in a relatively inexperienced side where the experienced players are under pressure to perform to keep their place and the youngsters in the position where any success could earn them a spot against India, I'll take Stokes with the each way terms on offer.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England Glad I swerved the Ireland ODI, looked like a bit of a trap. Going in with a couple ahead of tomorrow's t20i. Thinking of a few more, may be back later with some others. - 5pts England Match Runs: Under 160.5 @ 5/6 [Ladbrokes] The average First Innings Score at Old Trafford is 139 in this seasons County Championship. It is not a pitch that is usually conducive to high scores so with a largely inexperienced line-up that England bring tomorrow, I expect the trend to continue. Alex Hales, Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler could all feature tomorrow and whilst their completely absent of talent, I don't really see them setting the world on fire in their first competitive match for their country. The Indian bowling line-up is a good one too. RP Singh, Praveen Kumar, Munaf Patel have vast IPL experience which will see them go well here. Ravichandran Ashwin is the most economical bowler in IPL history too which is obviously a pretty impressive feat. I still think that England can win this match tomorrow but I can't see them going at 8 an over for all 20 on a pretty tricky track unless someone has a stormer. Unders for me here. - 4pts Player Performance: Sachin Tendulkar 30&Under @ 5/6 [bet365] I have been trying to construct some sort of Player Performance system for a while now. I tend to lean towards unders on batsmen that don't bowl and I'm going to chance my arm here. Noone can doubt Sachin's quality as a batsman but in this t20 match on what could be a tricky pitch I'm not so sure he can get to 30 runs. It's pretty difficult to write a description for unders on a player performance but I think that Broad, Bresnan and the variation from Dernbach can ruffle Sachin up early doors tomorrow.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England Okay so Sachin Tendulkar will probably sit out the t20i meaning his bet is a dud. - 3pts Highest First 6 Overs: England @ 10/11 Rahul Dravid is set to make his t20i debut tomorrow and that swings this bet right in Englands favour. He opened the batting with Shane Watson for the Rajasthan Royals at this years IPL and he often likes to bed himself in and let others go mad around him. Thats perfect for us here as Hales and Kieswetter will naturally play their attacking game from the outset for England. Hales is also making his debut for England tomorrow but 544 runs for Notts this season in the t20 at a strike rate of a shade under 150 tells you everything you need to know. Parthiv Patel had a nice run out at Leicester the other day but I've honestly never really rated the guy. There is danger here with Dernbach often being very expensive and Ashwin potentially keeping things tight however the pace onto the bat that this track should provide should suit England more. Any early losses and Pietersen is in. England for me definitely. - 1pt each-way India Top Batsman: Rohit Sharma @ 6/1 [Coral] One of my favourite players. Big-hitter. Great timer of the ball and a nice price to top score here for India. He should come in at number 4 tomorrow which should be plenty of time for him to build his innings and do the business. Decent run out against Leicester with a few sixes in a 29 from 21 ball innings and an impressive t20 strike rate and average to back those up. Money back in the top three too. Definitely my pick for Top Bat tomorrow.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England Ffs just lost my write up!! India win 6/5 bet365 3 wins vs the counties and a few new faces like ashwin, rohit and Kohli will freshen this Indian side up, the debutants for England could be hit or miss, can't forget the pasting they got off Sri Lanka either, should be even contest bit India the value IMO.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England 4pts India to win T20 International 6/5 William Hill This is much more India's game and it's a game which England have fallen away in since being crowned world champions last year. England have lost their last two T20 internationals and have changed captain in that time to Stuart Broad who looked out of his depth against Sri Lanka earlier in the summer when England were walloped. The bowling attack at his disposal this evening doesn't look a great deal more penetrative. This is an exciting time for England with the bat though with a potential 3 debutants in the batting line up this evening and that's good news. India are nowhere near full strength for this match but the amount of IPL cricket their squad has played means they are all well rehearsed in this format and it is a format they will be a lot more at home in. T20 is a young man's game at this level and in Kohli and Sharma they have two of the best young batsmen going around. I fully expect India to put up a decent showing in a format they've pretty much taken over in with the IPL and Champions League out there and at 6/5 they are the pick tonight. 1pt ew J.Buttler Top England Batsman 7/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) I wasn't sure if Jos Buttler had been called up for England a summer too soon but having seen him in the flesh on Saturday off the back of two top scores in the CB40 all doubts I had went. Another doubt I had was whether he could slog the spinners and that doubt went when he sent a world class leggie in Imran Tahir into the Birmingham Road end a couple of times as well as the monstrous 6 he hit off Briggs too. He appeared to ooze confidence as he walked to the crease on Saturday which is the effect of having runs under his belt and I think he can thrive in this environment. Obviously if they both play Morgan and KP are big dangers but Buttler is gaining a real reputation as a finisher and he's more than capable of smashing a few this evening. He's been good to me over the last couple of weeks and I'll stick with the man in form here.

LOSS - 5pts England Match Runs: Under 160.5 @ 5/6 [Ladbrokes] WIN - 3pts Highest First 6 Overs: England @ 10/11 LOSS - 1pt each-way India Top Batsman: Rohit Sharma @ 6/1 [Coral]
Some immense luck in the final over saw England over the line here much to the detriment of Wongy, Frank, myself and Kev. Got abit scared when Rahane and Patel went beserk at the start of the innings, but some hitting from KP ensured the 6 over goodies. Don't get me started on Rohit Sharma. -4.27 to start, will look to recoup that in the forthcoming ODI series.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England Haven't got a great deal of time to roll these out so going to be very quick. One outright for the series. - Top England Series Batsman: Ian Bell @ 5/1 (ew 1/4, 3 places) [Ladbrokes] With Kevin Pietersen being "rested" for this series, Ian Bell has a great opportunity to score some serious runs. Usually he'll see himself coming in at #5 but obviously in KP's absence, he'll shuffle up and come in earlier. He is in the form of his life right now and that's in all forms of the game too. I geniunely think that this series would've been India's for the taking but without Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and more importantly Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh and Ishant Sharma, it's in England's hands. I expect Bell, being one of the more experienced members in Englands side to come to the fore here and with better than EVS on him being 2nd or 3rd, I'll play. Onto tomorrows match then and I'm playing with two to start. - 4pts England Match Runs: Over 255.5 @ 5/6 [Ladbrokes] I like this bet. In the last five ODI's to played here, the average first innings score is 256.8. However, England have only batted first in three of those five matches and when they have, they've amassed scores of 274, 307 and 261. They have a good record here and with a depleted Indian bowling line-up who are inexperienced on green England tops, I think they can continue that tomorrow. The conditions will suit England down to the ground and with Cook, Trott returning to the side and an in-form middle-order of Bell and Morgan, I expect England to go well. Overs for me. - 6pts Player Performance: C. Kieswetter Under 46 @ 5/6 [bet365] High line here for Kiewswetter. Yes he opens the batting and wicket-keeps aswell but I think that 46 points might be a stretch. He has un-doubtable talent batting on flat roads like the Oval or somewhere like Taunton, however when the ball is seaming around and moving (like it might do at Durham), he sometimes struggles. A stumping here would vastly help his total be reached but they are a rarity, especially when the oppostion batsman have such quality too. He will probably take a catch, that would require him getting 35 runs as well tomorrow though and that, as i have already explained, won't happen more than it will. Unders for me.

2 outrights for me. Not long been back from Stockport and am tired so only looked at series outrights. Riverside not a great ground for me so I'm happy to leave the 1st ODI alone betting wise. 2pts England to win ODI Series 4-1 9/2 Boylesports England have dominated India on this tour and world champions or not I don't see that changing here. We're in September so the majority of the matches will be played in bowler friendly conditions which as we've seen all summer India seemingly have no answer to. India may have conditions to suit at The Oval but I don't see the other 4 grounds favouring them so at a fair price I'll take England to win this series 4-1. 2pts J.Dernbach Top England Series Bowler 11/2 Stan James It's well known I'm no massive fan of Jade Dernbach but this is a big price on him given that he is utilized at the start of the innings in the powerplay and at the death which are the two times where cheap wickets can be found. After a long summer England could rotate their main bowlers which would give Dernbach an edge too. Seaming conditions and a few slow wickets should play into the hands of Dernbach and his many variations so at a massive looking 11/2 given the times Dernbach bowls, I'll take the Surrey man to lead the England wicket lists in this series. Sent from my Desire HD using PL Forum

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England im sure i posted this last night?:loon too many beers, imagined it. anyway Rahul Dravid Top India Series batsman @ 4/1 Bet365 Over 5 ODI's no doubt, the likes of SRT, Kohli, Sharma and Raina will show flashes of brilliance, however im backing The Wall to continue his fine form on this tour, he's got better with age, should be the glue / accumulator of runs in the side, proved in the t20 after spanking 3x 6's in a row off Samit Patel that he has all the shots, there seems to be this myth around, from 'casual cricket fans' that he's boring and slow etc..:eek not against the white ball baby. GL all.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England one for today, India to score over 232.5 runs @ 5/6 first ODI this line was hovering around 241.5 literally 5 mins ago, low enough to get involved for me now, India playing the same line up as the t20 game, cautiously says India have enough quality to score enough to post a competitive total, longer format should help, Kohli, Sharma, Raina with more time to settle in at the crease.

I'll be looking for some trading again on this one. England currently available to lay @1.51, will set up the trade out at 1.7 :cheers
:wall The weather ruins the day,,, had a nice green book too. The weather saved England there, and I cant see me getting to lay England so low pre match again now.

one for today' date=' [b']India to score over 232.5 runs @ 5/6 first ODI this line was hovering around 241.5 literally 5 mins ago, low enough to get involved for me now, India playing the same line up as the t20 game, cautiously says India have enough quality to score enough to post a competitive total, longer format should help, Kohli, Sharma, Raina with more time to settle in at the crease.
got paid out at least.:beer Dravid got nothing:lol but game abandoned, no damage.:ok Shame Rohit bust his finger.:(

VOID - 4pts England Match Runs: Over 255.5 @ 5/6 [Ladbrokes] WIN - 6pts Player Performance: C. Kieswetter Under 46 @ 5/6 [bet365]
The player performance bet still turned out a winner despite Kieswetter taking three catches and the rain coming only seven overs into England's innings. +5.00 to start. Good shout Wongy on the Indian runs. :ok

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England 2nd ODI MS Dhoni performance points 39 @ over Bet365 (1pt per run, 10pts catch, 25pts stumping.) The Indian skipper scored a decent 30 odd in the opening abandoned game, with Tendulkar and Rohit both out, there's an arguement that he should come up the order and give him self more time to compile a score, chances are he might snaffle the odd catch or two with the ability of the two Kumars to swing the ball and Munaf's nagging line outside off stump.

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England Theres rain about tomorrow and it looks like it's going to play a pretty big part in the match. Happy to leave proceedings alone and not get caught on the wrong side of any Duckworth/Lewis or anything like that. Good luck Wongy :ok

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England I like one in the second ODI as well. Bet should stand if both sides play at least 20 overs. (1/10) Top India Bowler - P Kumar @ 3.75 with Bet365 Bet should stand with at least 20 overs per side. Praveen Kumar has been the star bowler for India in the recent matches and he will get to bowl a decent number of overs today even if we get affected by rain. He got both wickets in the opening ODI and he should trouble the English again here, so I think this warrants a bet at small stakes.

Theres rain about tomorrow and it looks like it's going to play a pretty big part in the match. Happy to leave proceedings alone and not get caught on the wrong side of any Duckworth/Lewis or anything like that. Good luck Wongy :ok
That was my stance too. Early forecast suggests a similar play will be the order of the day on Friday too :(.

That was my stance too. Early forecast suggests a similar play will be the order of the day on Friday too :(.
Same here. Though will look for some in-play opportunities. Where did you get the info about third ODI weather. Cricinfo only shows cloudy weather for the day.

Did any of the wickets or runs from the first game count? I.e towards top wicket taker or runscorers bets?
Yep, they all do :ok
Same here. Though will look for some in-play opportunities. Where did you get the info about third ODI weather. Cricinfo only shows cloudy weather for the day.
Says rain at night doesn't it. Just depends what it constitutes as night but that game is a day/night match. Hopefully the forecast improves over the next day or two :hope.

Says rain at night doesn't it. Just depends what it constitutes as night but that game is a day/night match. Hopefully the forecast improves over the next day or two :hope.
Well I ain't from UK so not much clue regarding the weather.:(

Re: Cricket: England vs India T20 International & ODI Series plus Ireland vs England No rain scheduled tomorrow which is good enough for me to play with these two: - 3pts Player Performance: C. Kieswetter 45&Over @ 9/10 [Cricketbetlive] Going to play on overs here despite me winning some nice coin going the other day in the 1st ODI. I said in that description that Kieswetter is a proven runscorer on batsman friendly wickets and that's exactly what we have here in London. The ball should come onto the bat beautifully tomorrow and I think Craig can do the business at the top of the order. He has a decent recent record here with a brisk 61 run innings against Sri Lanka and with the pace coming through from Broad/Bresnan/Anderson, I expect a few edges. Always the prospect of a stumping too. He showed some promise at the Rose Bowl as well with a nice 46 run innings so I hope he carries that on again here at the Oval. Overs. - 5pts Player Performance: V. Kohli 33 & Over @ 5/6 [bet365] I also expect Kohli to go well tomorrow and cover this total which I expected to be around 38. He's up there with some my favourite batsmen in world cricket and I think that on a generous track here he can score big. I liked his patient and composed 50 two matches ago and whilst he didn't bring the goods at the Rose Bowl, he makes up for it in other areas which is what attracts me to this bet. He bowls now. He isn't a brilliant bowler by any stretch of the imagination and niether will he bowl a great amount of overs but to be honest, a loose ball can bring a wicket his way (see Pietersens horribly unfortunate stumping in the t20). Batsman will look to get after him and that makes him dangerous. He is also one of the worlds best fielders and I don't even exaggerate when I say that. In the early overs he will be at gully and towards the end he will be at long-on or cow-corner. Took two catches at the Rose Bowl, anything like that again and Im more than sure he'll bring in the goods with the bat. Hell, he should do it with the bat alone anyway.