** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Placepot

Hi everyone, I know this is a bit cheeky but I was wondering if someone would be able to help me workout how much I would have won on the placepot. Only one race let me down so it would have been interesting to know my potential outcome. I did a placepot at Warwick, and according to the Totesport placepot information at Warwick http://club.totesport.com/totepoolLiveInfo/Java/index.htm the total pot was £39,586 the number of "Winning units" (Does this mean tickets?) was 287.50. The bets I had were Leg 1: Blue Deer (SP 5/2) *PLACED* and Vintage Grape (SP 12/1) *Did not place* Leg 2: Our Picadilly (SP 14/1) and Memphis man (25/1 sp) both did not place :( Leg 3: Emkanaat (Sp 4/9) *Placed* Leg 4: Knocker Knowles (SP 9/2) *PLACED*, Surrey Spirit (13/2 sp) *Did not place* Leg 5: Lupo Durgo (SP 8/1) *PLACED*, Mite Mouse (3/1) *Did not place. Leg 6: Into the wind (Sp 9/2) *PLACED*, Supa Seeker (N/R) - I guess this means it went onto Into the wind possibly who was JF? and Hint of Honey (10/1 sp) Who did not place** Overall I put on £14.40 which I guess is about 30p per line? Would anyone be able to work out how much I would have won approximately based on this information. I would be eternally grateful. Thanks a lot Jono

Re: Placepot

If it were 30p per line then 30% of the dividend is what you'd have got back I think? Which is what? About 80 quid.
Thank you for your response mate! Does it go by odds then? How does the odds affect the pay out, and how do you get people winning thousands off them? Thanks

Thank you for your response mate! Does it go by odds then? How does the odds affect the pay out, and how do you get people winning thousands off them? Thanks
No, the odds don't affect the individual payout. It's just if the well-fancied horses aren't placed, less tickets win so the dividend is greater. Say you have 10p a line and you have 6 races, and say 2 of your horses place in every single race you get: 2x2x2x2x2x2 = 64 so you would multiply that by the cost of a line so your payout would be £6.40 related to the divident which is for £1. So essentially you'd get whatever the dividend is multiplied by 6 and a bit. You would only have got 30% of the dividend because you only had 1 horse placing in each race. Say you had a winner in every race but 2 (in which you had 2 horses placing) you'd have: 1x2x1x2x1x1 = 4, so 4x30 = £1.20 so you'd get a shade over the £1 dividend. I think that's how it works but someone may well tell me otherwise - I rarely do them myself.

iirc the return is calculated race by race as the number of tickets reduce, after the pool is closed Freddie boy takes his 27% comission then as the meeting proceeds the dividend decreases dependent of how many favourites are placed, the odds of the horse is immaterial as its the numbers of tickets each runner has riding on it

No, the odds don't affect the individual payout. It's just if the well-fancied horses aren't placed, less tickets win so the dividend is greater. Say you have 10p a line and you have 6 races, and say 2 of your horses place in every single race you get: 2x2x2x2x2x2 = 64 so you would multiply that by the cost of a line so your payout would be £6.40 related to the divident which is for £1. So essentially you'd get whatever the dividend is multiplied by 6 and a bit. You would only have got 30% of the dividend because you only had 1 horse placing in each race. Say you had a winner in every race but 2 (in which you had 2 horses placing) you'd have: 1x2x1x2x1x1 = 4, so 4x30 = £1.20 so you'd get a shade over the £1 dividend. I think that's how it works but someone may well tell me otherwise - I rarely do them myself.
Ah yes that makes complete sense actually. The dividend for Warwick was £100 before deductions. So that means I would have only won back about £25 (30% of £85). A bit pointless really!

Re: Placepot This is how i understand it.........using nice round figures Lets say each race had 8 runners so 3 horses are placed in each race that is 3x3x3x3x3x3 possible winning combinations (or lines) = 729 possible winning lines lets say that between them punters have put 100 pounds on those lines lets say the total money staked on that card is 11,000 pounds and say the tote takes out 1,000 pounds for its running costs That leaves 10,000 in the pool the dividend is 10,000 divide by 100 = 100 pounds the decared 'result' would be - Placepot £100 to a £ 1 stake, Pool £10,000, winning tickets 100 Now if you did 2 horses in every race that would be 2x2x2x2x2x2 lines = 64 lines. If all your horses were placed and you'd staked it at £1 per line (£64 total) you'd have 64 winning lines of £ 100 each = £6400 if you'd staked it at 50p per line (64 lines at 50p - £ 32 total) you'd win half the dividend per line if you staked it at 25p per line you'd win a quarter of the dividend per line The dividend is always declared per pound staked.........you get paid pro rata on your stake The odds of the horses make no difference - it's all about the number of winning lines.

This is how i understand it.........using nice round figures Lets say each race had 8 runners so 3 horses are placed in each race that is 3x3x3x3x3x3 possible winning combinations (or lines) = 729 possible winning lines lets say that between them punters have put 100 pounds on those lines lets say the total money staked on that card is 11,000 pounds and say the tote takes out 1,000 pounds for its running costs That leaves 10,000 in the pool the dividend is 10,000 divide by 100 = 100 pounds the decared 'result' would be - Placepot £100 to a £ 1 stake, Pool £10,000, winning tickets 100 Now if you did 2 horses in every race that would be 2x2x2x2x2x2 lines = 64 lines. If all your horses were placed and you'd staked it at £1 per line (£64 total) you'd have 64 winning lines of £ 100 each = £6400 if you'd staked it at 50p per line (64 lines at 50p - £ 32 total) you'd win half the dividend per line if you staked it at 25p per line you'd win a quarter of the dividend per line The dividend is always declared per pound staked.........you get paid pro rata on your stake The odds of the horses make no difference - it's all about the number of winning lines.
Same formula for Quadpots, BTW does anyone do them?