** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August

Thanks DJ' date=' well done on the Wigan game.. Roll on 3pm :hope[/quote'] Thanks, give it until October 14th and I'll start writing full match write-ups on more of the week's Premiership fixtures. I've struggled to find time recently due to study. I think it's good to write up previews for two reasons; it helps focus your pick by providing an awareness of form and player sharpness in addition to helping others with a bit of insight in to the fixtures and potential results. The odds look shocking this week, as others have been doing I've been trying to find some good value but :unsure where?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea v Norwich I have not liked the way Chelsea have started the season one bit. They were fortunate to beat West Brom, they were very poor, completely outplayed at times at home to what we would call a poor enough side on the road and the manager at Chelsea has his work cut out i think. Norwich will come to Stamford Bridge with no fear whatsoever and with Chelsea not firing on all cylinders, i think the value bet must be a draw at good odds. DRAW @ 6/1 Bet365
If you have this bet double it up with AVB to be the 1st premiership manager to get sacked!

If you have this bet double it up with AVB to be the 1st premiership manager to get sacked!
No. Backing him to be sacked would be a stupid bet! Backing the draw today is far less stupid! But thanks for the "advice" :ok

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Possibly three centre backs for Norwich. Drogba and Torres up front, which I never really like. Not really sure of the threat we'll pose; didn't expect Chris Martin to be involved at all this season. Reckon we could get to half-time, then probably Chelsea to get a routine 1, 2-0.

Swansea v Sunderland Tough match to call this.. Swansea create a lot of chances and have lots of possession but they failed to use them opportunites thus far and they will continue to be punished if this persists. Swansea if taking their chances have a big chance today but i am going to side with the premier league experience of sunderland to come through. SUNDERLAND WIN @ 85/40 (VC)
I think this could be the bet of the day value wise at least. Sunderland are building a stronger side and went to Anfield and secured a point. Sunderland lost last weekend but I do believe that derby games do not always fall to form or which teams is better but more as a consequence of what happens on that specific day. I think Sunderland have Premiership experience and it will show. Sunderland have a strong defence and are led by a coach who has extremely high defensive experience and knowledge. That is not to say that the side lack at the other end of the pitch as the likes of Gyan and Sessegnon are more than capable of finding the back of the net. Sessegnon came close on a few occasions against Newcastle last weekend and I did consider whether to have him as an anytime or first scorer but elected away from it as I don't always feel those bets are profitable long term.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Blackburn to win @ 3.0 ladbrokes. Everton are usually woeful at the start of the season, and have one game less under their belt and finally with Samba back Blackburn can only improve.

Well' date=' you could of at least picked a Wigan win :p[/quote'] :lol I kinda did but I nailed the score ;) get more money back that way. I didn't want to use it as my main bet as I felt most confident on the under 2.5 goals.

No. Backing him to be sacked would be a stupid bet! Backing the draw today is far less stupid! But thanks for the "advice" :ok
Why would it be stupid, which manager would be under more pressure than Boa's if Chelsea fail to win today?

Why would it be stupid' date=' which manager would be under more pressure than Boa's if Chelsea fail to win today?[/quote'] Too early in the season and his tenure at Chelsea for him to be sacked. Do you reaaallly think he will get sacked after just three games in charge? Remember how much money Chelsea paid to get him released from FC Porto? Something like £14million I think was the figure that was banded about. It will take a LOT for him to be sacked from Chelsea before the season is out. I would say that the club would need to be around 7th or 8th in the table and with the Champions League looking very remote before Abramovich would take any action.

Blackburn v Everton No matter how bad Everton were last weekend, i think Blackburn are just terrible. They dont have the players or the management to go far in this league this year, they are heavily reliant on Pederson and Hoilett and if Everton show up at all today they have too much quality i feel and i can see an away win here. EVERTON WIN @ 7/5 Paddypower
Another one landed! :ok

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Bolton +1.5ah @1.8 bet365 I think that Bolton are valued a bit wrongly in this game and they will certainly give liverpool some kind of a test. The beat QPR convincingly in the first round, and lost to Man City at home, but hardly anyone will be able to match City this season Liverpool won 2-0 at Emirates last week, but their passing looked horrible for the long spells in that game. If not a red card, + introduction of Suarez and Meireless, they wouldn't have picked all 3 points there. They will have a decent squad today, and hold a very impressive record against Bolton at home, but I think that Coyle's men will not get beaten easily. Most probably, not by more than 1 goal. also, I'll have a small punt on Liverpool win by 1 @3.5 and a correct score 2-1 cheers

Blackburn v Everton Surprised at the odds here, think Everton are far too short for the victory. Both teams have not started the season well but gained much needed confidence boosting victorys during the week. Everton have not brought anyone in during the summer and look like a club that is stagnating. Losing 1-0 at home to newly promoted QPR was a sore one and you could see the fans starting to turn on the team and manager. The Toffees only won 4 out of 19 on the road last season and have only won once at Ewood in the past 5 seasons. I would have the priced up around 2.6-2.7 so it is a clear LAY for me. Selection: LAY Everton @ 2.38 with Betfair - 3 unit liability:wall
Two more for me tomorrow; Swansea v Sunderland Going to back the Mackems here with draw cover. I expect them to have a good season as they have made some shrewd signings including Brown and O'Shea, both of whom are expected to play tomorrow. They kicked off with an impressive point at Anfield in the first round of fixtures before losing to Newcastle last week in what became a bit of a kicking match which the Geordies came out on top of. Swansea lost heavily in the first week at City before being somewhat fortunate to come away with a point at home to Wigan last week. Don't think the price on the home win should be as low as 2.37 so i will be taking the away side on the DNB. Selection: Sunderland DNB @ evens with >Bet365 - 3 units:unsure Chelsea v Norwich I fear for Paul Lamberts side at the Bridge tomorrow, a lot of people have wrote Chelsea off for the title this year but I expect them to be up there with City and United till the end. A thumping win tomorrow may kick them into gear after a tricky first two games for the London club. Norwich have done ok so far, two draws from two games but I see no real improvement in the quality of player at the club since last year and Chelsea are at leat two or three levels above them. The last two games between the sides have ended 4-0 to the Blues. Selection: Chelsea -2.5 AH @ 2.6 with >Bet365 - 2.5 units:sad
Can't believe Blackburn missed two penalties, sickener. Called the Chelsea game all wrong, money back on Sunderland.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Aston Villa - Wolves draw @ 3.38 (Score: 1-1) :D Wigan - QPR draw @ 3.37 (Score: 0-0) :( QPR unlucky not to get something out of this game after hitting the woodwork 3 times Everton @ 2.30 (Score: 1-0) :D Some luck here with a Blackburn penalty miss and then Everton scoring a penalty in injury time Chelsea - Norwich under 2.5 @ 2.87 (Score 2-0) :( Swansea - Sunderland draw @ 3.34 :D Liverpool - Bolton under 2.5 @ 2.22 (Score: 1-0) :( Underestimated my own team and overestimated Bolton August picks: 11-13 (+7.00)

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August One of my WORST weekends EVER in terms of last minute goals and shite: Blackburn Vs everton Blackburn +0.5 Should have won this confortably, but silly blackburn missed two penalties and everton got a last minute soft penalty... which they scored! Chelsea vs Norwich, Norwich +1.5... No luck here, mata scored in the 11th minute of 2nd half stoppage time. At least i added him to my fantasy football team....... Liverpool -2 AH Liverpool win to nil... RAGE @ Carragher :@ conceaded in last minute of stoppage time!

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Right, my predictions for tommorow, hopefully to claw back some of my losses without going crazy... what do you guys think of these: Spurs vs City City win 6/4 I feel city are just too strong in offense and too solid in defence. They have hungry players looking forward to a great season and they want to proove themselves in the league and champions league to look forward to. Wbrom vs Stoke Draw 23/10 West brom have had a bad start to the season and deserved better in both 2 - 1 losses to chelsea and united respectively. Their midweek cup win is just what they need to get the season underway. Stoke are also a solid side with plenty of experience and has played alot of games. I do feel that Wbrom has a better chance to win however the odds i feel are too thin for a west brom win. A draw gives very decent odds although i wont be suprised to see west brom take all the points here. Newcastle vs fulham A very tough game to call. I dont see any value in this game but since i absolutely hate alan pardew and his newcastle side, ill stick in a unite on fulham -1.5 (not a tip) Finally United vs Arsenal... 6/1 for an arsenal win? Too good to refuse imo. Arsenal will put up a decent fight and has more than enough talent to score a couple of goals at old trafford.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Manchester United to beat Arsenal 8/15 big stakes , Manchester United to keep a clean sheet 6/5 medium stakes paddy power:hope Manchester united again continue there unbeaten home run from last season the team looks to be gelling well , another good result at home to Tottenham on monday , we all know the state arsenal are in just now , i cant see arsenal scoring here and just cant see were the goals are going to come from for arsenal this season man utd look solid question marks about the keeper but he looked more composed on monday so more than happy to take the clean sheet :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August I ended up making a very minor loss this weekend, but didn't stake high, so it is no big deal. I don't know if anyone else saw this, but in the Chelsea - Norwich game the odds of Norwich to win were at 23.00 at the 76' mark (when it was still 1-1, and the keeper was still on). To me that screamed value given their form in the game, and with at least 25 mins left on the clock. Shame about what the the keeper did 5 mins later :spank . As for tomorrow games... Spurs vs City I will be going for a city win as well, for the reasons given above. Wbrom vs Stoke I don't think that 2.3 is a high enough price for a draw, and could easily see it ending 1-0 to either side. No bet Newcastle vs fulham I can only really provide information from the perspective of a Fulham fan here, and it is not looking good. Zamora is out, as is JA Riise. Our defense has been woeful lately as Jol decided to change things around, putting hughes as a RB from CB, at the expense of baird. Hughes is not a natural RB and senderos has yet to gel with the squad. If I had to make a call on this I would say that fulham will conceed, we are very poor on the road, I just don't know how newcastle will be with no Barton/Caroll/Nolan etc. Sorry - this is a pretty pants pre match report, but basically dont bet on fulham to win, I don't even have faith in a draw given our current form. In our away game on thursday (Dnipro, europa league) there were many, many mistakes made, and we were lucky to get away with a 1-0 loss. Hangeland was shaky, and Baird made mistakes that led to their goal. We are still yet to score in the PL, I would imagine that Dempsey will be played a little higher up, and Dembele should start, although I am not that confident we will be able to get it in the back of the net. If I had to bed, I'd go for Dempsey anytime @ 3.75, as bobby probably wont play. United vs Arsenal I'm not going to touch anything to do with arsenal, although the odds do seem long for them to win. There is too much 'randomness' to their performances, going from strong home wins to multiple 0-0 or losses. I don't want to get into the whole Arsenal debate that seems to be on here non stop. Again, sorry for writing so sloppily, it all sort of came out of my head at once.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Oh, and for those of you who watch the match, you will get to see our hideous gold kit being showcased.

Aston Villa - Wolves: Draw @ 3.40 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Both teams have made a good start to the season. Villa drew 0-0 at Fulham and convincingly defeated Blackburn, 3-1, at home. Wolves won at Blackburn (1-2) and defeated Fulham, 2-0, at home (the teams have played the same opposition in the first 2 matches). Last season Wolves won at Villa (0-1) and Villa won at Wolves (1-2). The teams appear evenly matched at the moment. Villa has a bit of an edge given the home field advantage but this is countered by the extra confidence that Wolves is riding given the two consecutive wins. At this stage of the season and with both teams in sound condition, the draw will leave both satisfied. Swansea - Sunderland: Draw @ 3.34 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Both teams started the season with a 0-1-1 record and both haven't been particularly good in scoring (Swansea: 0:4 goals; Sunderland: 1:2 goals). Swansea's loss at Manchester City (4-0) was expected. Against Wigan's (0-0 result) weaker opposition they weren't able to do anything despite having control of the match at least in the first half. Swansea was a bit lucky since Wigan missed a penalty and 2 shots hit the woodwork. Sunderland got a good 1-1 draw at Liverpool and then lost to a weak Newcastle team at home (0-1). Sunderland is the more experienced side and may have a bit more quality, but they don't appear ready, at the moment, to get the goals needed for a win. Swansea is still trying to find its footing in the Premier League and it also appears unable, at the moment, to get the goal/s needed to win a match. We just may get a 0-0 or 1-1 stalemate here and the draw is a good bet.
Yes!!! :clap

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Newcastle vs fulham I can only really provide information from the perspective of a Fulham fan here, and it is not looking good. Zamora is out, as is JA Riise. Our defense has been woeful lately as Jol decided to change things around, putting hughes as a RB from CB, at the expense of baird. Hughes is not a natural RB and senderos has yet to gel with the squad. If I had to make a call on this I would say that fulham will conceed, we are very poor on the road, I just don't know how newcastle will be with no Barton/Caroll/Nolan etc. Sorry - this is a pretty pants pre match report, but basically dont bet on fulham to win, I don't even have faith in a draw given our current form. In our away game on thursday (Dnipro, europa league) there were many, many mistakes made, and we were lucky to get away with a 1-0 loss. Hangeland was shaky, and Baird made mistakes that led to their goal. We are still yet to score in the PL, I would imagine that Dempsey will be played a little higher up, and Dembele should start, although I am not that confident we will be able to get it in the back of the net. If I had to bed, I'd go for Dempsey anytime @ 3.75, as bobby probably wont play. Pretty good write up and being a tragic Fulham fan aswell you pretty much nailed the current situation. I was hoping that we might be able to go to Dnipro and mix the team around a bit and save some boddies for the Newcastle game. However that was our full strength team and we looked a bit all over the place. Senderos can come in a do a job and will be fresh but Hughes has always been a machine and can play everyday if he felt like it so not much of a change there. Dembele is talented for sure but hasnt really come into any kind of form. Zamora is a doubt and if he plays, again its not like hes coming off the back of anything to good. The obvious bet is under 2.5 goals @ 1.70. But its screaming at everyone to take it because we are yet to score and Newcastle have only bagged one. But its the kind of bet that because its so obvious there is value taking over 2.5. Could just be one of those examples where a game just blows out. Nothing to back it up just of recent but we are going to have to score sooner or later and we have enough in our team to do that. Under Coleman, Sanchez, Tigana, Hughes, Roy we have always been able to score from all over the park. Defence is looking a little shaky at present and this is the kind of game where a clean sheet at the cost of a 0-0 would be a building block to work on. It has happened so many times where we need to get something and we pluck out 0-0 and sparks us into form. 0-0 @ 9.0 looks ok for a small stake but I would be careful staking anything to high on the under and over. The odds on Fulham should be bigger but they are at this price because of our recent form at Newcastle. I have been their twice and seen us win both times. We have a great record at st james park and this is a small factor that favours us to get something. However we are going to have to play better than we did at Wolves and prove to everyone that playing away in europe isnt the reason for losing. From what it sounds like it was one of the worst perforamnces in a while. If we lose this game our next game is against Blackburn and with their current form it will be a crunch game for both sides to get the season up and running. So to take a bit of pressure of that game, I believe Fulham will turn up tomorrow and put in a good 90minutes but with our away history we could easily slump to a 1 goal defeat. To sum up its a tricky game and your best bet is NO BET. Newcastle by 1 @ 4.00 is amazing value. Before the 2-0 loss to Wolves we only had one other away in the prem where we lost by more than 1 and that was away to Man Utd. All our away losses were by a 1 goal margin. But my heart says we will get a point ;) Hope that helps COYW FTID

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 27-28 August Bit of advice please, just put a bet on betfair for united to win 2-0 tomorrow with Young scoring first, odds of 369/1. Now odds are down to 54/1. I guess the site are covered somehow as it looks to be a mistake, just thought i'd seek some advice though....thanks

Bit of advice please, just put a bet on betfair for united to win 2-0 tomorrow with Young scoring first, odds of 369/1. Now odds are down to 54/1. I guess the site are covered somehow as it looks to be a mistake, just thought i'd seek some advice though....thanks
On Betfair, you're not betting against "the site". It's a betting exchange, so you're betting against other punters. As long as your bet is matched, you're good to go. :ok

On Betfair, you're not betting against "the site". It's a betting exchange, so you're betting against other punters. As long as your bet is matched, you're good to go. :ok
Superb, so any advice on what to do next? Not really dabbled with laying bets before. if for example i wanted to lay at the oddsof 55/1 currently being offered with a stake of £10, would that mean i would need £550 in my account as this is my liability? Thanks edit: could I lay it without the money already in my account, because i would be guaranteed to make a profit? Sorry, very rookie like I know, but this is an unknown for me!

Superb, so any advice on what to do next? Not really dabbled with laying bets before. if for example i wanted to lay at the oddsof 55/1 currently being offered with a stake of £10, would that mean i would need £550 in my account as this is my liability? Thanks edit: could I lay it without the money already in my account, because i would be guaranteed to make a profit? Sorry, very rookie like I know, but this is an unknown for me!
No worries - Betfair's confusing when you first use it! Yes, you ought to be able to lay it, using your potential "back" profits. If you experiment by putting a number (say £10) into the "lay" box, the market should go "all green", meaning a profit regardless of the outcome. It's up to you how much you lay off, of course! ...I think that's it, but I haven't used Betfair for a wee while, so somebody please correct me if I'm talking nonsense!

One of my WORST weekends EVER in terms of last minute goals and shite: Blackburn Vs everton Blackburn +0.5 Should have won this confortably, but silly blackburn missed two penalties and everton got a last minute soft penalty... which they scored! Chelsea vs Norwich, Norwich +1.5... No luck here, mata scored in the 11th minute of 2nd half stoppage time. At least i added him to my fantasy football team....... Liverpool -2 AH Liverpool win to nil... RAGE @ Carragher :@ conceaded in last minute of stoppage time!
Your “balance” weighted more on Blackburn, Norwich and Liverpool side respectively, and that was a good decision in my opinion. Unfortunately, there were those last minutes goals that ruined the bets (although every minute is part of the game, how wise, doesn’t it? :)), but another cause was, also, the change of the Asian spread for each one. If you had stayed with the normal line, you would have had a win, a push and a loss. I see you fancy something from Fulham and Arsenal today. Maybe just sticking with the normal Asian line is a good option, too. Smaller odds, but greater chances. Personally, I consider it frustrating to step in “the right side of the boat”, but still to lose the bet, by changing its terms. This is not even an suggestion, but a small observation, so whatever you do, good luck with your bets. :ok

No worries - Betfair's confusing when you first use it! Yes, you ought to be able to lay it, using your potential "back" profits. If you experiment by putting a number (say £10) into the "lay" box, the market should go "all green", meaning a profit regardless of the outcome. It's up to you how much you lay off, of course! ...I think that's it, but I haven't used Betfair for a wee while, so somebody please correct me if I'm talking nonsense!
You're right but he will have to have enabled the 'what if' figure for the 'all green' display to show up. Hopefully he has done that already. If you haven't, you just click any market (say football) and then click on the More options title and tick the display 'what if' box, then save and close. I don't know why Betfair don't have that box ticked by default. I would guess that many beginners don't even realise it's there unless they discover it by chance.