** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August

Saturday 27 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Brighton & Hove Albion v Peterborough United (15:00 BST) 1.98 3.85 4 101.47 %
maximize.gif Crystal Palace v Blackpool (15:00 BST) 2.74 3.4 2.78 101.88 %
maximize.gif Derby County v Burnley (15:00 BST) 2.4 3.5 3.25 101.01 %
maximize.gif Doncaster Rovers v Bristol City (15:00 BST) 2.54 3.4 3.01 102.00 %
maximize.gif Hull City v Reading (15:00 BST) 2.78 3.4 2.84 100.59 %
maximize.gif Ipswich Town v Leeds United (15:00 BST) 2.58 3.52 3.02 100.28 %
maximize.gif Leicester City v Southampton (15:00 BST) 2.54 3.42 3.17 100.16 %
maximize.gif Middlesbrough v Coventry City (15:00 BST) 1.79 3.85 5.5 100.02 %
maximize.gif Millwall v Barnsley (15:00 BST) 1.72 3.93 6.26 99.31 %
maximize.gif Portsmouth v Cardiff City (15:00 BST) 2.76 3.35 2.83 101.42 %
Sunday 28 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Nottingham Forest v West Ham (13:15 BST) 2.92 3.39 2.58 102.50 %
maximize.gif Watford v Birmingham City (15:00 BST) 2.4 3.52 3.24 100.94 %

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August We're a big price imo when you compare the prices of team around us at home against similar opposition. Burnely havent done much so far this year whilst we having conceeded in 3 games. We're still not a real attacking threat but defensively we're looking very strong, the players our working hard for one another and it looks as if we've got a good team spirit. In comparison to Brighton and Millwall both below evens i think there's a bit of value in us.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August I fancy Southampton to beat leicester. The price of around 2.9-3 is a bit lower than I would have liked, but Southampton are full of confidence and scoring plenty of goals. Leicester have been poor at home so far, and not much better away. Saints also have the advantage of having the week off to prepare for this while Leicester are in the Carling cup, although I accept they may put out a weakened team. I know Saints run is going to end sooner or later, but I feel they are playing Leicester at a good time while all their new signings are still bedding in. Saints are a settled team and are always likely to score. If the price makes it above 3.00, i'm definitely taking Southampton to edge this one. Agreed the price on Derby looks generous against an average Burnley side. Elsewhere, I think there could be quite a few draws on the card. The last round of fixtures had 6/12 drawn fixtures suggesting teams are quite closely matched at the moment as they settle in to the season. I personally fancy the games at Crystal Palace, Doncaster, Hull, Ipswich and Portsmouth could all be contenders for draws, though i'll probably narrow the selection down a bit nearer the weekend.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August

I fancy Southampton to beat leicester. The price of around 2.9-3 is a bit lower than I would have liked, but Southampton are full of confidence and scoring plenty of goals. Leicester have been poor at home so far, and not much better away. Saints also have the advantage of having the week off to prepare for this while Leicester are in the Carling cup, although I accept they may put out a weakened team. I know Saints run is going to end sooner or later, but I feel they are playing Leicester at a good time while all their new signings are still bedding in. Saints are a settled team and are always likely to score. If the price makes it above 3.00, i'm definitely taking Southampton to edge this one. Agreed the price on Derby looks generous against an average Burnley side. Elsewhere, I think there could be quite a few draws on the card. The last round of fixtures had 6/12 drawn fixtures suggesting teams are quite closely matched at the moment as they settle in to the season. I personally fancy the games at Crystal Palace, Doncaster, Hull, Ipswich and Portsmouth could all be contenders for draws, though i'll probably narrow the selection down a bit nearer the weekend.
I'd be looking to oppose Saints and Derby rather than back, I reckon. Hard for teams to win five in a row in this league, and Leicester and Burnley are due results to match the quality they have.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Crystal Palace V Blackpool An unstoppable away side meets an immoveable home team for the clash at Selhurst tommorow. Where this one's going is anybodys guess but I would lean towards Palace's winning run comming to an end here. We've won 4 on the bounce in all competitions. The 3 league victories were against teams totally out of form (I got the Hull game badly wrong last week) and the most recent was dumping Crawley out the league cup with our reserves (the toughest and most undeserving victory of the 4 games). Early days yet but it would appear Blackpool are shaping up to match their home/away dynamic from last season, tending to be more effective on their travels. They don't seem to be suffering any great hangover and despite the loss of several higher profile players they still have personnel that can do serious damage at this level. Glenn Murray and Darren Ambrose have returned from injury for Palace but weather they start tommorow is another matter. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, McGivern, Wright, Jedinak, Ambrose, Parr, Scannell, Easter If I had to bet on this game: Draw @ 12/5 (Betfair)

Anyone got any tips or news on the Middlesbrough game?
Coventry welcome back best striker Freddy Eastwood after injury.Don't know how this can change things.Boro should have enough to beat them anyway.

Sport Football (England - Cham)
Event Portsmouth-Cardiff
Selection Cardiff +0 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 27/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.10
Reasoning Mackays new side travel to Portsmouth Satday with some decent displays already under our belts. With the exception of a 3-1 home defeat to Brighton (a game in which we dominated the stats), we've managed at least a draw in every game. Mackays motivation ensures that we will be competative away from home - Watford's 38 away goals last season was the best attack away from home. Pompey are a side that wont be underestimated, depite the well publicised financial difficulties. Gunnarson is our only real major injury and Slovakian U21 international Filip Kiss looks set to make his debut in the holding midfield position. Cowie and Conway came thorugh the cup game unscathed and Whitts returns to bolster the midfield. Pompey have had difficulty scoring this term so far, despite the big name centre forwards that they still employ. New signing Erik Huseklepp looks set to feature but I'm not sure this will be enough to swing the fixture their way with his record of 40 goals in 174 games. H2H's, for those who are interested, show we are a difficult team to beat for Pompey in recent history. Not entirely sure we'll win, and a draw may be on the cards here, but I've plumped for the +0 AH rather than the 1.77 on the +0,+0.5 as the odds seem more attractive...

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August :unsure hmmmmm, was thinking of going the other way myself as there's talk of both Erik Huseklepp and Benjani starting. I personally wouldn't read too much into Huseklepp's goalscoring record as he is more a winger, and looks to add that extra bit of creativity to the side we have been lacking for so long. The performance against Bristol City was a very positive one as we were looking the better side, at least in the second half, and could have won the game if it weren't for Dave Kitson's glaring miss... Overall I think this should hinge on team news, mainly from our perspective. If both players start I'd be inclined to take us. Unders is definitely another alternative as I can see this being a very tight game....we played Cardiff at pretty much this exact time of year last season, which ended 2-0 to Cardiff, deservedly so. But, this time around I'd say we are in much better shape, and Cardiff have possibly weakened slightly. Which makes the odds of 2.70'ish very appealing.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Pompey V Cardiff over 1.5 goals @ 1.40 with betfair looks good value to me. Pompey where the better team at their last match with Bristol City and Erik Huseklepp looked useful when he came on.(according to a friend who went to the match) Cardiff had a tough midweek match going in to extra time which the won 5:3 against Huddersfield so look like they can both score and make mistakes. Pompey draw no bet may also be worth a shout @1:84

Anyone got any tips or news on the Middlesbrough game?
Mowbray is working wonders at the Riverside, he has done since he came in to be honest. The team spirit was obvious at the end of last season and that has carried on and is a massive advantage for us. There shouldn't be any 'surprise' inclusions as there is no point giving players a break now when the internationals are on next week and there is also the fact that our squad isn't the biggest at the moment. Coventry are struggling and coming to face the Boro, who are playing free-flowing attacking football, is far from ideal. Home win for me but, in my opinion, it has been priced up well enough to offer little value.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Hull - Reading: Draw @ 3.40 (Betfred) 10/10 Neither team has started the season very well. Hull has a record of 1-0-3 and 2 consecutive losses including 2 losses at home. Reading has a 1-1-2 record including 2 consecutive losses. With both teams losing 2 consecutive matches, I think the priority will be to avoid a third straight defeat. Hence, both teams may be cautious and play tight which increases the chances of the draw result. Last season both matches ended in a 1-1 draw. The draw reprsents a good percentage bet in this match. Ipswich - Leeds: Leeds @ 2.90 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Ipswich started the season in a poor manner (1-0-3; 6:13 goals) including three consecutive losses. Leeds lost its first 2 matches to Southampton and Boro. Since then Leeds clobbered Hull (4-1) and got a good draw at West Ham (2-2). Leeds has a better quality roster and is set to contend for promotion. I think this is a good opportunity to get an away win against an Ipswich side that is out of sorts at the moment. The odds for Leeds' win are okay and worth the risk.

• Middlesbrough are on a 6-match unbeaten streak this season, winning the last 5.
  • Coventry haven’t won against Boro at the Riverside since 1993.
  • Coventry City are yet to win in any competition (D1, L4).
  • The Sky Blues failed to score in 3 of their 4 Championship games so far, netting just one goal in the quartet.
  • Ben Turner, Clive Platt, McSheffrey, Gary Deegan and Richard Wood are out.

Middlesbrough 1.68 9/10

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Middlesbourgh vs Coventry Not a big price and doesn't have much value but on a weekend I don't see much about Ive decided im going get involved anyway. Middlesbourgh have had a terrific start to the season, an opening day draw against Portsmouth has been followed by 3 league wins and 2 wins in the carling cup scoring 2 or more in 5 of those 6 matches (the other being a 1-0 win away at Elland Road vs Leeds). Coventry have failed to start the new campaign really, 3 losses and a draw in the league and a defeat in the carling cup. Away from home Coventry have conceeded 2 or more in 2 out of 3, the other was in a 1-0 defeat to Birmingham who themselves have failed to score more than 1 in any of there 3 league matches. H2H won't make Coventry feel much better coming into this one as they have failed to win any of the last 9 meetings at the Riverside, Drawing 2 and losing 9. Middlesbourgh have also scored 2 or more in 6 of those 9 meetings here. Middlesbourgh @ 1.65 (Betfair). Middlesbourgh to score 2 or more @ 1.67 (Betfair).

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Pompey have signed yet another striker - Hungarian U-21 international Marko Futacs. Don't know much about him other than he was quite sought after, is 6'5" and comes from Werder Bremen. Started his youth career at Ferencvarosi before joining Nancy in France. Have no idea if he'll play today....but this should give us options up top, and a bit more of a physical presence as our other strikers aren't very robust. Kanu being the tallest isn't known for his strength, so it'll be good to have someone who can potentially hold the ball up.

Pompey have signed yet another striker - Hungarian U-21 international Marko Futacs. Don't know much about him other than he was quite sought after, is 6'5" and comes from Werder Bremen. Started his youth career at Ferencvarosi before joining Nancy in France. Have no idea if he'll play today....but this should give us options up top, and a bit more of a physical presence as our other strikers aren't very robust. Kanu being the tallest isn't known for his strength, so it'll be good to have someone who can potentially hold the ball up.
I'll give him time to prove me wrong but after watching him play for Ingolstadt and in the Toulon tournament; he isn't that good. He has potential but he drifts in and out of games too much. If I remember rightly - he doesn't use his height as much as he perhaps should do. We will see! At least we are signing players. :ok

Pompey V Cardiff over 1.5 goals @ 1.40 with betfair looks good value to me. Pompey where the better team at their last match with Bristol City and Erik Huseklepp looked useful when he came on.(according to a friend who went to the match) Cardiff had a tough midweek match going in to extra time which the won 5:3 against Huddersfield so look like they can both score and make mistakes. Pompey draw no bet may also be worth a shout @1:84
wouldnt read much into the cardiff line up against huddersfield as we did not field our first team 22 Tom Heaton 18 Lee Naylor 19 Gabor Gyepes 12 Dekel Keinan 14 Paul Quinn 8 Don Cowie 52 Joe Ralls 11 Craig Conway 23 Darcy Blake 15 Rudy Gestede 16 Jon Parkin from that line up, only Cowie and Conway are likely to start today.

Crystal Palace V Blackpool An unstoppable away side meets an immoveable home team for the clash at Selhurst tommorow. Where this one's going is anybodys guess but I would lean towards Palace's winning run comming to an end here. We've won 4 on the bounce in all competitions. The 3 league victories were against teams totally out of form (I got the Hull game badly wrong last week) and the most recent was dumping Crawley out the league cup with our reserves (the toughest and most undeserving victory of the 4 games). Early days yet but it would appear Blackpool are shaping up to match their home/away dynamic from last season, tending to be more effective on their travels. They don't seem to be suffering any great hangover and despite the loss of several higher profile players they still have personnel that can do serious damage at this level. Glenn Murray and Darren Ambrose have returned from injury for Palace but weather they start tommorow is another matter. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, McGivern, Wright, Jedinak, Ambrose, Parr, Scannell, Easter If I had to bet on this game: Draw @ 12/5 (Betfair)
I've watched Blackpool in there last 2 games, watched the Derby game online and was at the Brighton game. I havent been impressed with Blackpool, they lack a real cutting edge. They only scored two against Brighton due to the genius of Kevin Phillips and Palace need to keep him quiet. Imo they were lucky to get a point last week, Brighton had enough chances to win the game with Blackpools goals coming from a cross and a corner. I expected Blackpool to have much more of an attacking threat but although they had there fair share of possession, it was far to deep to really trouble Brighton. VC going 15/8 on Palace and i think that's value.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Leicester City v Southampton (15:00 BST) Southampton will be a top side this year and will be in the mix come the end of the season along with Leicester although they have not started as well as they should Leicester still have a very strong side which is full of goals same goes with Southampton Ive watched Leicester in every game this season and they was robbed last week against forest because of a dodgy referee after being 2-0 up and controlling the game. From the above and what I have seen this season Im going for. Leicester Win Overs 2.5 Both to Score.

Event Millwall - Barnsley
Selection Millwall -0.75 AH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 27/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.82
Reasoning Good opportunity for 3 points here for Millwall. they've opened fairly well and last years home record returned 25/36 points against lower half table sides. Barnsley have been outplayed in each game so far and will not fancy a trip to the new Den. They have Drinkwater and Park added to the squad but I'mnot convinced they are good enough to alter the outcome today. Barnsley beat Millwall in May and won at Reading last Saturday which will focus the Millwall minds, hopefully avoiding complacency. Millwall will be looking to hold onto a lead after letting it slip twice in previous games against better opposition.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Going for West Ham to beat Notts Forrest tommorow 6/4 paddy power Notts forrest have yet to win at home in the league playing twice and drawing twice west ham have looked better on the road winning both there away games , west ham look to have a real strong squad this year Notts forrest looking a bit shaky they conceded 3 at home against notts county i expect west ham to get the job done here and find 6/4 a decent price for a team who look to bounce back to the premier league

Crystal Palace V Blackpool An unstoppable away side meets an immoveable home team for the clash at Selhurst tommorow. Where this one's going is anybodys guess but I would lean towards Palace's winning run comming to an end here. We've won 4 on the bounce in all competitions. The 3 league victories were against teams totally out of form (I got the Hull game badly wrong last week) and the most recent was dumping Crawley out the league cup with our reserves (the toughest and most undeserving victory of the 4 games). Early days yet but it would appear Blackpool are shaping up to match their home/away dynamic from last season, tending to be more effective on their travels. They don't seem to be suffering any great hangover and despite the loss of several higher profile players they still have personnel that can do serious damage at this level. Glenn Murray and Darren Ambrose have returned from injury for Palace but weather they start tommorow is another matter. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, McGivern, Wright, Jedinak, Ambrose, Parr, Scannell, Easter If I had to bet on this game: Draw @ 12/5 (Betfair) :cigar:cigar:cigar
Crystal Palace 1-1 Blackpool: Just got back from the game, a draw is the predictable and fair outcome here IMO. Palace started fairly subdued and didn't get hold of it in the middle of the park. Blackpool scored a nice opening goal and it was a goal that typifies their strength which is the ability to score out of nowhere. I have found their attacking play to be very incisive this season and even if they don't control games they can hit you in an instant, not many teams in this league have that capability. In the second half Blackpool started to run the game but Freedman made exactly the right subs at exactly the right times and Blackpool became overun in a thrilling final 20 minutes. This for me is the area where I think Blackpool are weak, Holloway has 1 plan and 1 plan only which is to attack. With the changes Freedman had made the entire dynamic of the game had changed but Blackpool naively refused to change in response to this and just continued to attack, attack, attack. They should be commended for having an expansive philosophy but they are 1 dimensional and tactically bankrupt. It's clearly the reason why they pissed so many points away in the premier league last year but despite these criticisms I expect them to be a top 8 side this year. Barry Ferguson man of the match, a class above.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Watford - Birmingham: Birmingham @ 3.20 (Coral) 10/10 The odds for Birminham's win are too high to ignore. Watford has started the season in a poor manner. The hosts' record is 0-2-2 and includes two defeats at home against West Ham (0-4) and Derby (0-1). Watford has failed to score in the last 3 out 4 matches played. Furthermore, Watford was eliminated from Carling Cup action, on Tuesday, by Bristol Rovers. The match went to penalty shots so Watford will have its share of fatigue for this match. Birmingham hasn't started the season in a good way either. The guests' record is 1-0-2 including 2 away defeats against Boro (3-1) and Derby (2-1). In both defeats Birmingham took the lead 0-1. In the Europa Cup, Birmingham progressed to the group stages by eliminating Nacional Madeira including an easy 3-0 home win on Thursday. Yes, Birmingham's weakness in away matches is an issue, but I feel Birmingham has promotion aspirations this season and has a better quality roster. Watford, it seems, may struggle this season to avoid relegation and the odds for Birmingham's win are worth the risk.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 27-28 August Watford - Birmingham under 2.5 @ 1.8 yes Watford lost already twice at home, and it will be bad for home side to do it again. As they strugling with scoring goals , I suppose that they will concentrate on defense, Birminham is probably better side , but after two defeats in row at home ground Watford need to take some points in rest of the matches. On other side Birmingham lost 2 out 2 as visitors and at the moment it is quite hard to bet on them. I can see this match as tough without many goals .

Going for West Ham to beat Notts Forrest tommorow 6/4 paddy power Notts forrest have yet to win at home in the league playing twice and drawing twice west ham have looked better on the road winning both there away games , west ham look to have a real strong squad this year Notts forrest looking a bit shaky they conceded 3 at home against notts county i expect west ham to get the job done here and find 6/4 a decent price for a team who look to bounce back to the premier league
4-1 west ham :loon

Middlesbourgh vs Coventry Not a big price and doesn't have much value but on a weekend I don't see much about Ive decided im going get involved anyway. Middlesbourgh have had a terrific start to the season, an opening day draw against Portsmouth has been followed by 3 league wins and 2 wins in the carling cup scoring 2 or more in 5 of those 6 matches (the other being a 1-0 win away at Elland Road vs Leeds). Coventry have failed to start the new campaign really, 3 losses and a draw in the league and a defeat in the carling cup. Away from home Coventry have conceeded 2 or more in 2 out of 3, the other was in a 1-0 defeat to Birmingham who themselves have failed to score more than 1 in any of there 3 league matches. H2H won't make Coventry feel much better coming into this one as they have failed to win any of the last 9 meetings at the Riverside, Drawing 2 and losing 9. Middlesbourgh have also scored 2 or more in 6 of those 9 meetings here. Middlesbourgh @ 1.65 (Betfair).:eyes Middlesbourgh to score 2 or more @ 1.67 (Betfair):eyes.
Lesson learned.

Event Portsmouth-Cardiff
Selection Cardiff +0 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 27/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.10
Reasoning Mackays new side travel to Portsmouth Satday with some decent displays already under our belts. With the exception of a 3-1 home defeat to Brighton (a game in which we dominated the stats), we've managed at least a draw in every game. Mackays motivation ensures that we will be competative away from home - Watford's 38 away goals last season was the best attack away from home. Pompey are a side that wont be underestimated, depite the well publicised financial difficulties. Gunnarson is our only real major injury and Slovakian U21 international Filip Kiss looks set to make his debut in the holding midfield position. Cowie and Conway came thorugh the cup game unscathed and Whitts returns to bolster the midfield. Pompey have had difficulty scoring this term so far, despite the big name centre forwards that they still employ. New signing Erik Huseklepp looks set to feature but I'm not sure this will be enough to swing the fixture their way with his record of 40 goals in 174 games. H2H's, for those who are interested, show we are a difficult team to beat for Pompey in recent history. Not entirely sure we'll win, and a draw may be on the cards here, but I've plumped for the +0 AH rather than the 1.77 on the +0,+0.5 as the odds seem more attractive...
dreadful weekend for me - this was my best bet :\:wall:spank