** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Carling Cup > 23-25 August

Spooner

Tuesday 23rd August

maximize.gifCrystal Palace v Crawley Town (19:30 BST) 1.94 3.4 4 105.96 %
maximize.gifAFC Bournemouth v West Bromwich Albion (19:45 BST) 3.75 3.4 2 106.08 %
maximize.gifAston Villa v Hereford United (19:45 BST) 1.16 6.5 15 107.77 %
maximize.gifBrighton & Hove Albion v Sunderland (19:45 BST) 2.62 3.4 2.5 107.51 %
maximize.gifBristol Rovers v Watford (19:45 BST) 2.87 3.4 2.37 106.36 %
maximize.gifBurnley v Barnet (19:45 BST) 1.44 4.33 7 106.59 %
maximize.gifBury v Leicester City (19:45 BST) 3.6 3.5 1.9 108.73 %
maximize.gifCardiff City v Huddersfield Town (19:45 BST) 1.8 3.6 4 108.33 %
maximize.gifCharlton Athletic v Reading (19:45 BST) 2.66 3.4 2.5 107.01 %
maximize.gifDoncaster Rovers v Leeds United (19:45 BST) 2.62 3.4 2.5 107.51 %
maximize.gifMillwall v Morecambe (19:45 BST) 1.44 4.5 6.5 106.84 %
maximize.gifNorthampton Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers (19:45 BST) 4.75 3.5 1.8 105.18 %
maximize.gifNorwich City v Milton Keynes Dons (19:45 BST) 1.53 3.8 5.5 109.71 %
maximize.gifQueens Park Rangers v Rochdale (19:45 BST) 1.5 4 5.5 109.85 %
maximize.gifShrewsbury Town v Swansea City (19:45 BST) 4 3.5 1.83 108.12 %
maximize.gifWycombe Wanderers v Nottingham Forest (19:45 BST) 3.6 3.5 2.1 103.97 %
Wednesday 24th August
maximize.gifBristol City v Swindon Town (19:45 BST) 1.74 3.5 4.61 107.73 %
maximize.gifExeter City v Liverpool (19:45 BST) 8 4.5 1.36 108.06 %
maximize.gifPeterborough United v Middlesbrough (19:45 BST) 2.37 3.4 2.87 106.30 %
maximize.gifWest Ham v Aldershot Town (19:45 BST) 1.4 5.5 8.17 101.85 %
maximize.gifBlackburn Rovers v Sheffield Wednesday (20:00 BST) 1.57 4 5.5 106.82 %
maximize.gifBolton Wanderers v Macclesfield Town (20:00 BST) 1.25 5.5 9 109.29 %
maximize.gifEverton v Sheffield United (20:00 BST) 1.4 4.5 7 107.94 %
Thursday 25th August
maximize.gifScunthorpe United v Newcastle United (19:45 BST) 4.33 3.5 1.83 106.19 %

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Bristol Rovers v Watford, Charlton v Reading, Palace v Crawley & West Ham are all first round ties, the rest are all second round ties. Most Premiership teams and even some Championship teams field weaker sides I believe, often a couple of big priced winners to be had, so let's find them. Not a massive price but Bury at home to Leicester could be worth a shot for an upset, Leicester haven't got off to the start they wanted in the league suffering another setback at the weekend after leading 2-0 at Forest, they did win their 1st round tie 4-1 over Rotherham in the end but were one down after half an hour. I guess they'll be sending a decent enough side down to Bury but the hosts have taken life in L1 well winning two games, the 2-0 victory at Wycombe looks a good result on paper as the hosts had an unbeaten start. They sent Championship side Coventry out of this cup with a 3-1 victory in the 1st round, also coming from behind. I reckon Bury will be quietly confident of an upset here with Leicester not turning up in the best of moods after the weekend result, not many prices around just yet the best I can see is 3.60 and still think that'll be around come the day so let's see if we can get a better price.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Much as I hate to say it, as I'd love a cup run, MK Dons need a look. I can't be bothered to look at it now, but our cup results at home over recent seasons are awful, regardless of how bad the opposition is. Not really sure how MK's great start may effect things, such is the unpredictable nature of this cup.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Being a Palace fan i got a feeling we may play a weakened team,mainly due to injuries and not risking all the fit players we have. will check when team news is out but i suspect u 2.5 goals and possibly a Crawley 1-0 win. I think most of these cup games are a pain for most(prem & champ) clubs as attendances are generally low and most clubs run at a loss on the night until later rounds.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August we are shot in the cups and WArnock was knocked out at 1st stage of both comps last year 1-3 to Port VAle at home and 0-1 to Blacburn in FA cup away. I expect a much weakened side to be picked ahead of the wigan game on Saturday Something along these lines Murphy in for Kenny Back 4 of Gorkks, Connolly Orr and Perone (debut) Midfield of Buzacky, Ephraim, Derry (?) and Smith Forward line of Helguson and either Campbell or Bothroyd (depends on virus) Not a bad side but not full strength as maybe will want to rest Taraabt and Derry. Bruno Andrade may also be in line for a start on the wing. Will check closer to the game

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Great competition for the goalrush coupon. Looking at the last round and the majority of games ended with both teams scoring. On that basis the following games are worth a punt on the goal rush: Norwich V Mk Dons - Both teams higher scorers with Norwich possibly playing a weakened side. Bury v Leicester - Good start to the season for Bury and a Leicester side with bags of goals in it Wycombe v Forest - As a Forest supporter I know at first hand how poor we can perform against lower opposition. I am certain we will concede but I think Wycombe are weak enough to predict at least a Forest goal.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August West Brom at Evs appeals away vs Bournemouth, WBA have a few fringe players that will welcome a game and at this level they should be able to put a few in the net. I am sure Bournemouth will fancy a PL scalp but WBA have shown in their 2 games to date they have improved under Hodgson especially defensively another bet worth consideration is Sheff Weds away at strugglers Blackburn no doubt thsat wednesday may have as many fans there as Blackburn which may tip the tie in thier favour and at decent odds also

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August

Great competition for the goalrush coupon. Looking at the last round and the majority of games ended with both teams scoring. On that basis the following games are worth a punt on the goal rush: Norwich V Mk Dons - Both teams higher scorers with Norwich possibly playing a weakened side. Bury v Leicester - Good start to the season for Bury and a Leicester side with bags of goals in it Wycombe v Forest - As a Forest supporter I know at first hand how poor we can perform against lower opposition. I am certain we will concede but I think Wycombe are weak enough to predict at least a Forest goal.
Thanks will defo look into this, how long are you living in Dublin?

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August WBA at Bournemouth looks like a total gift from the bookies. WBA played well against Manchester United and Chelsea, managing to score in both games and i cannot see why they woulnd't win against a League one team who only got 3 points in 4 games. I've jumped on 1.91 @ bet365 as soon as i saw it

WBA at Bournemouth looks like a total gift from the bookies. WBA played well against Manchester United and Chelsea, managing to score in both games and i cannot see why they woulnd't win against a League one team who only got 3 points in 4 games. I've jumped on 1.91 @ bet365 as soon as i saw it
If they play a full team then its a great bet.

If they play a full team then its a great bet.
Dorrans and Cech can count themselves unlucky not to be first teamers, especially Dorrans who is technically a better footballer (all round, great passing and scores goal)than Morrison but not as mobile. Fortune and Cox will be a handful and will surely start. Yes i'm on the albion tommorow too

What about Cardiff , I expect rotated squad for them, and I am seeing big troubles for championship team against strong travelers and offensive minded Huddersfield Huddersfield +0.5 AH 2.06 @ 188Bet
Difficult to know until the teams are announced but mackay has stated in the press that he won't change the side a great deal and wants to progress. I'd be wary of a bet here until shortly before kick off as he fielded a couple of untried youngsters at Oxford. I'm tempted to take us on, if there is value in the odds, once I see the line up. As ever with this cup, you don't just gamble on the game, you gamble on the managers views...

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August SHEFF UTD to beat everton 6/1. United have made a good start to the season, four wins and a draw so far and have some promising youngsters in there side. Everton are notorious poor starters and backed this up by losing at home to QPR on saturday, with no new signings and a disgruntled crowd I can see an upset here.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Like a few others I have jumped on a good early price (2.02, betfair, 0.5pts) on West Brom. I do believe they have had a good start to the season and although people will inevitably point to two losses, for my money they played really well in those games and above expectations. There is also a good chance that Odemwingie will be given some much-needed game time as he recovers from injury. Bournemouth are not the same side as last season and I don't believe they should be priced as such. They have lost the manager and a couple of their better players. For me, not too much quality on the bench and in reserve, and certainly not enough to trouble what should be a strong West Brom side, whom I fancy to grab a functional win without being pushed too hard.

SHEFF UTD to beat everton 6/1. United have made a good start to the season, four wins and a draw so far and have some promising youngsters in there side. Everton are notorious poor starters and backed this up by losing at home to QPR on saturday, with no new signings and a disgruntled crowd I can see an upset here.
An AH or DNB might be best.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Bristol Rovers Draw No Bet @ 2.10 (Paddy Power) Decent start to the season for Rovers, winning two, a decent away draw and the only blemish being a defeat to new manager Paul Buckle's old team Torquay. Watford have been poor at home, losing both games, but decent enough away, drawing at Burnley and Coventry. Even so, I think The Hornets may struggle this season, and don't see too big of a gap right now between them and promotion favourites Bristol.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Northampton Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers Over the past 3 seasons in the Carling Cup the cobblers have beaten the likes of Bolton, Reading, Liverpool and Ipswich (this seasons R1). In addition to that we also lost to Sunderland on penalties. Based on that the club has a recent history of giant killing. Hopes are pretty high having had in influx of new talent and we have looked respectable so far this season. This is our first home Carling Cup tie in 3 years and therefore it's expected we should see a very good crowd for the visit of the premier league side which will hopefully create a good atmosphere. Wolves are currently sitting 2nd in the premier league (maybe 3rd in a few minutes) having beaten Blackburn away and Fulham at home. However, most premier league sides field weakened 11's in the Carling Cup and with an early kickoff on saturday McCarthy may have an even bigger incentive to rest players to try to capitalize on decent form at the beginning of the season. Cobbler's fans and the club alike are going into this with optimism and I for one will be having a romantic flutter on my team. William Hill, Coral and Victor Chandler are all offering NTFC at 5.00 which I reckon is great value. 4.5 can be found at most other major bookies.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August I really fancy Brighton to beat Sunderland, it's a long trip for them, Brighton have had a good start to the season and with the home crowd behind them they have a real chance, them together with Villa and Liverpool 3.97/1 @ bet365

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August PBoro v MBoro Clash of the Boro's - Mogga has said he wants to play a strong side, but can't play keeper Ikeme (Wolves don't want him cuptied) and Scott McDonald has tweeked his hamstring. Bates may also be rested as it will increase his transfer fee value if not cup tied or injured. Mogga may have to sell Bates to raise funds to bring in more players. PBoro's form this season has to be respected they have made a great start especially at home. If this goes to form it will be very high scoring - these 2 team don't do unders. I can see anything happening in this game and I don't have a clue on what team PBoro will play. However I have taken MBoro at 9/2 in the HT/FT market as good value - 4 out of their last 5 away games have resulted in this outcome. The one that didn't was away at Leeds which Boro still won. :)

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Tough to call Championship vs Championship but from an unbiased biased perspective (in the sense that I am a Leeds fan but I don't blindly expect us to win every week!) I think we'll win today. Much improved the last twice and Grayson has little choice but to play another strong side at Doncaster. They haven't had a great start to the season and there will be close to as many Leeds fans there as Donny fans. Their defence looks suspect whereas our attack is our strong suit, so I'd expect us to grab 2 or 3 goals, and even with our dodgy defence, it should be enough to see us progress.

Guys' date=' if you stick down BTS on EVERY GAME, 1p gets like £8000 back. I believe every team scored in the last leg, obviously some i would avoid like hereford vs villa.[/quote'] BTS? what is it?

What about Cardiff , I expect rotated squad for them, and I am seeing big troubles for championship team against strong travelers and offensive minded Huddersfield Huddersfield +0.5 AH 2.06 @ 188Bet
It will be a tight game. Cardiff has a defence as solid as a rock. Hard to breach. So do Huddersfield.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August There are a couple more games I cannot resist staying away from in this round. All 0.5pts, early in the season and it's the cup. Aston Villa -1.5 (1.52, B365) I think Villa will cruise this, but there is always a danger they may declare early. Although McLeish will rotate the pack, players like Delph, Delfounesco, Bannan, Albrighton and Clark are still way beyond the ability of what Hereford would put out. Hereford performed better than I expected on Saturday, causing me to lose my bet on them away at AFC Wimbledon but for me one of the worst sides in League Two this season. It'll be rare that I back anything under 1.5 this season so this just sneaks in. Brighton v Sunderland (No Bet) Shortlisted match which suggested Brighton cause a shock but decided to swerve this as they have doubts on Buckley and Hoskins. Sunderland are set to pick from a strong squad on this one. Charlton v Reading Over 2.5 (1.97, Betfair) Slightly poorer performance from Charlton at home to Scunthorpe last time out makes me a little nervous about taking them to qualify, which is the same odds. To be truthful they rather let Scunthorpe back into the game to get a deserved draw. What is clear to me is that they do have a good range of strikers up front and should notch at least one. Reading won three penalties on Saturday and should also be equally in goal-scoring mood. QPR v Rochdale 1.58, Betfair Good value bet here, and was tempted to take the -1.5 line but the QPR team is relatively unknown but still should have too much for Rochdale. The club are riding on a high at the moment thanks to Fernandes takeover and the win against Everton. Rochdale are not the same effective team last season and for me there much questions to be answered regarding Eyre. They have a good player in Ashley Grimes but look like creating enough goals over the whole season. They could definitely get some joy here given QPR's record against lower-league sides but I would expect QPR to prevail over 90 minutes. Norwich v MK Dons DNB 4.3 Betfair For me, MK Dons have started the season really well and have a lot in their locker. Jabo Ibehre is set to start and this is his type of game, against a Norwich side who have three centre-halves (Barnett, Whitbread and Ward) out and also a tough physical encounter with Stoke 48 hours earlier. Depending on what side Norwich send out, there may not be much at all between the teams and there is a real possibility of a shock here.

There are a couple more games I cannot resist staying away from in this round. All 0.5pts, early in the season and it's the cup. Aston Villa -1.5 (1.52, B365) I think Villa will cruise this, but there is always a danger they may declare early. Although McLeish will rotate the pack, players like Delph, Delfounesco, Bannan, Albrighton and Clark are still way beyond the ability of what Hereford would put out. Hereford performed better than I expected on Saturday, causing me to lose my bet on them away at AFC Wimbledon but for me one of the worst sides in League Two this season. It'll be rare that I back anything under 1.5 this season so this just sneaks in.
Agree with you completely on this one. Villa played a reserve match against Blackburn last night, so there seems to be no danger that Alex McLeish will dip into the reserve numbers. Therefore the team will comprise the first team squad, whose lesser lights should have far too much for Hereford. Whilst it's quite possible that much of the second half could turn into a tepid affair with Villa strolling to victory, I suspect McLeish will not want to antagonise the Villa faithful in any way, especially after his dream home start last Saturday. Villa could keep going with serious intent for much of the game. Hereford are in a mess injury-wise: http://www.herefordunited.co.uk/page/MatchPreview/0,,10835~2428514,00.html. A key loss is their excellent goalkeeper and former England C international, Adam Bartlett. The Bulls have two upcoming League 2 matches over the Bank Holiday which are of far greater importance to them than the Carling Cup. I've gone for Villa to score over 2.5 goals at 11/10 with Corals and also had a buy of their goal rush at 35 with Sporting Index.